Cancellation of Better Than Life

i would have gone if there had been more notice as like lizzy i have hospital apointments and things to take in to consideration. plus if i want to do lfcc i cant do anything else until then im at chev this weekend and then thats pushing it.

i have the same problem later in the year with the hub and eclipse to much to close together. eclipse won lol

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we will be bringing as many the cast to LFCC now and we will be offering the people that booked and supported us on this a free photo shoot. More to come as soon as it is agreed with the cast

Hi, If the cast are unable to attend LFCC, will this be extended to other guests.

• Moderators

Can you please make your horror-related suggestions in the correct places please?

There's really no point in posting everywhere with "I don't like this, I want horror" or slagging off other things that people DO like.

Unless you have some constructive feedback to offer on the situation ..

maybe you should have put the time and effort into a horror event which would have been far popular

I think it's been established that popularity isn't an issue with this show, but for this events it was partially unfortunate timing and not enough notice for people to take time of work etc.

maybe you should have put the time and effort into a horror event which would have been far popular

Perhaps you should read the "unwritten rules of the forum" thread- you're waaaay too predictable nowadays- boring! Grow up!

Perhaps you should read the "unwritten rules of the forum" thread- you're waaaay too predictable nowadays- boring! Grow up!

well maybe i could offer a character break down on you but as i havent noticed you up till now ill have to pass

i think my comment was fair enough

i like showmasters events and i think theyd have been better concentrating on something else than RD

whilst were talking tv sci fi why not have a WHO event

7 million viewers every week.......cant fail

ok maybe the timing was a factor but the amount of people who paid plus those who wanted go to but couldnt didnt really add up to much

this country needs one and the demand is there..a horror con would be unique and the fact that it would be the only one of its kind would get the big names who usually shy away from the regular shows as they know theyd prob get overlooked

- at a Horror con theyd be mobbed

youve only got to look at the fact that EMPIRE weekend may be going the same way as the RD con that people are tired of the same old

i know there are people on these boards and away from it who would jump at the chance to go to a horror con and would make the time

theyd prob have the spare cash too as they on the whole seem (at least on here)to be not so interested in attending every themed event for the latest/cancelled american import tv show.

Its a fair enough comment and its on topic

You only have to look at the non ques for Hatty H and the healthy ques for Englund,Campbell etc to see the proof that REAL horror stars get the crowds

which well see again at LFCC when Tom Savini and John Landis hit town

quite where RD fits into the FILM and COMIC genres i dont know

im not here to wind people up i just always thought a RD event in 2008 was a very very odd choice and the "only waaay predictable " thing round here Lizzy was its cancellation

Edited by vintageSW77

My boyfriend and I really wanted to go, but it was too short notice for work. If another was arranged with more notice, we would definitely go, and I know lots of other people who might too, Red Dwarf is majorly popular among the people I know! From my point of view, I think there are enough fans around to make it profitable.

Edited by PsychoPrincess

quite where RD fits into the FILM and COMIC genres i dont know

im not here to wind people up i just always thought a RD event in 2008 was a very very odd choice and the "only waaay predictable " thing round here Lizzy was its cancellation

I think you will find that although it is a comedy, it fits nicely into a SCI FI genre.

Now do us all a favor and go and not wind people elsewhere whilst we RD fans lick our wounds.

That's a shame. I think maybe the timing wasn't the best as a lot of people are going on their Summer holidays around now and don't have the cash, so for me, it was between that and LFCC. LFCC won out as it's the better event in my opinion and I'll get to meet more people that I'm after.

QUOTE - I think you will find that although it is a comedy, it fits nicely into a SCI FI genre.

i dunno im just a fan of the idea of what it says on the tin being in the tin

call me the genre nazi

it says FILM and COMIC con

RD is neither but seeing that Heroes folk are there as well i guess this title means sweet f.a

so now we have places taken up at LFCC by Hatty Hayridge etc when we could have had more FILM and COMIC folk

i dont know why you dont make Hatty the official Showmasters mascot

Edited by vintageSW77

whilst were talking tv sci fi why not have a WHO event

7 million viewers every week.......cant fail

There are a lot of Who events already - I'm attending one tomorrow in fact. 12 guests for a one day event.

Says the man lobbying for Dr Who guests with a 25 year old avatar that's neither Film nor Comic :thumbup:

I'm enough of a fan to tell you that photo's 30 years old :P same as me.

QUOTE - I think you will find that although it is a comedy, it fits nicely into a SCI FI genre.

i dunno im just a fan of the idea of what it says on the tin being in the tin

call me the genre nazi

RD is neither but seeing that Heroes folk are there as well i guess this title means sweet f.a

so now we have places taken up at LFCC by Hatty Hayridge etc when we could have had more FILM and COMIC folk

i dont know why you dont make Hatty the official Showmasters mascot

I was going to come and say your points where valid but then I actually read your sig and i'm not going to bother now. First off yoo defend yourself by saying you are the genre police. If that is the case why are you in an area specifically dedicated to RD saying they should have done a horror event. Last time I checked RD wasn't horror. Why not go to that area to make these comments!

Whilst it is the film and comic con, there are already lots of guests that fulfil those criteria, it doesn't say anywhere else that they can't have other guests from other media.

Also although it has been talked about for MANY MANY years, their was talk of a RD film. It could happen.

Says the man lobbying for Dr Who guests with a 25 year old avatar that's neither Film nor Comic :thumbup:

whats my avatar got to do with anything?

and if we are being picky Tom Baker would be an ok addition to a film con seeing as hes appeared in a fair few movies and hes appeared in many a comic too

and there is no comparison in my post between RD and Horror

i never suggested one

i just suggested a horror con would be a guaranteed success and wouldnt get cancelled

if i was going to another forum moaning about a Showmasters RD show getting cancelled it wouldnt be relevant

on here it is

it seems time and good effort wasted on the RD con wouldve been better spent on a Horror con

thats all

but seeing as it would end up being bombarded with requests for horror lite stars from the world of Buffy and Supernatural etc i guess its better left alone

and yes im aware of the many WHO cons

im going to one in a few months so ill get my classic WHO fix there

now at the risk of annoying any more "smeg" heads ill bow out now thank you kindly

Edited by vintageSW77

• Moderators

i just suggested a horror con would be a guaranteed success and wouldnt get cancelled

But do you really think that if this had been a horror con announced within a similar time frame, and only with 2 guests, that it would've been a guaranteed success?

Do you genuinely believe that it's just because it's Red Dwarf that we've had problems with this con? 'cuz reading through the replies in here would suggest otherwise.

it seems time and good effort wasted on the RD con wouldve been better spent on a Horror con thats all

Again, that doesn't take into account the circumstances. You say 'time', but in the end there wasn't actually that much time spent on it anyway! And a lot of 'effort' seemed to be going into LFACC rather than this con - now that's not to say that SM/ME didn't bother with this one, but they were a lot more restricted with what they could do here compared to LFACC.

but seeing as it would end up being bombarded with requests for horror lite stars from the world of Buffy and Supernatural etc i guess its better left alone

So not only do you get to pick the genre of a convention, but also be picky within that genre too? It's "I want it THIS way with THIS genre but NOT the following things .." which is a very bizarre notion, as since when did SM/ME ever do conventions to order?

In the end, horror is a tricky genre to cover because it's so wide. I love horror, but I don't particularly like Hammer for example. I personally know very few people that like everything in horror, so I doubt everyone would be 100% pleased. It's just not possible.

Perhaps a 'horror MOVIE convention' would be more to your liking? Unless there are some TV horror guests that are actually valid? I don't know.

However, in the end, this topic is not the right place to do it. If there are specific sections for 'other cons' and 'guest suggestions' etc then surely the sensible thing to do would be to go post there! You slagging off Buffy, Supernatural, Red Dwarf etc isn't going to help you get what you want - neither is having that kinda crap in your signature, it's bound to antagonise unfortunately, and I think you know that ..

These people who post just to annoy others make me feel physically sick- more so than my broken foot! Haven't taken notice of me before? (Regardless of my 2400 odd posts to your 150). You will now.

By the way, see these things on a keyboard that aren't letters? Yep, they help put grammar in a sentence. Like CapsLock or shift (Although you seem to use them to put "RD" but not for normal capital letters like at the start of a sentence) and "," and "."- Makes it a hell of a lot easier to read.

SM don't tend to warm to those like you who are constantly critical and negative. You are much less likely to get your own way like this. Seriously, get the "smeg" out of this forum and use the Guest suggestions for horror. If you don't have anything constructive about RED DWARF conventions NOT horror, then butt out.

And thank God I'm not going to that Who convention!

(And FYI its mode, not mood for your sig).

RD is neither

COMIC - –adjective

1. of, pertaining to, or characterized by comedy: comic opera.

2. of or pertaining to a person who acts in or writes comedy: a comic actor; a comic dramatist.

3. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of comedy: comic situations; a comic sense.

4. provoking laughter; humorous; funny; laughable.

–noun

5. a comedian.

6. comic book.

7. comics, comic strips.

8. the comic, the element or quality of comedy in literature, art, drama, etc.: An appreciation of the comic came naturally to her.

So Red Dwarf easily meets 6 of the 8 dictionary definitions of comic, and with the comic strips that featured in the Red Dwarf Smegazine it also meets no. 7.

RD is neither

COMIC - –adjective

1. of, pertaining to, or characterized by comedy: comic opera.

2. of or pertaining to a person who acts in or writes comedy: a comic actor; a comic dramatist.

3. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of comedy: comic situations; a comic sense.

4. provoking laughter; humorous; funny; laughable.

–noun

5. a comedian.

6. comic book.

7. comics, comic strips.

8. the comic, the element or quality of comedy in literature, art, drama, etc.: An appreciation of the comic came naturally to her.

So Red Dwarf easily meets 6 of the 8 dictionary definitions of comic, and with the comic strips that featured in the Red Dwarf Smegazine it also meets no. 7.

I forgot about the magazine..funny that.

So even though it may be stretching it somewhat to consider a Red Dwarf strip in a limited run of magazines a "comic" it appears RD does have some (albiet small) "Comic" credentials though i do believe your other 1 - 5 definitions of "comic" dont apply to the world of graphic novels one bit....which the C in LFCC refers to.

If the above 1 - 5 definitions were relevant wed be seeing Les Dennis,Jim Davidson and Roy Chubby Brown(mind you he was in UFO and the League of Gentlemen...GET IN THERE Royston!!) rubbing shoulders with Tom Savini at LFCC.

Ah Lizzy i honestly havent noticed you till this week .....have now though.... hello there!

Now i know mods dont like this kind of thing and im a glutton for punishment to nip back in here to read the expected dissection of my lazy grammar and my dislike for formulaic or past it tv shows(and guess what im not refering to Red Dwarf) but you find sometimes you cant help yourself can you despite your best efforts...at least i havent been nasty

i only opinioned the RD con was a wasted oppertunity and i got jumped on by the regs.

Anyone would think i typed about Red dwarf being a load of **** ...which i dont think at all .

Red Dwarf was a show that kept you laughing so much that you actually forget one of the main characters had a thick scouse accent...now that is be applauded.

RD had its moments ...a lot of moments in fact and personally i always thought (and after seeing her in Manchester or was it at the rioch?)that Chloe Annette was definatley worth one.

Elswhere mentioned - yes i should have said stated a HORROR MOVIE con is needed

there really hasnt been much worthy Horror TV apart from the original Kolchak tv series,Buffys Hush and a couple of other eps,Toombs in the X Files,Masters Of Horror and lets not forget Britains Got Talent.

Furthermore Horror fans are a dedicated bunch and im pretty certain theyd jump at the chance to attend a horror con at short notice

id be there tommorow and im not ordering one...ive only ever suggested one.

Im done

sorry for any offence if any taken.

Roll on LFCC.

Edited by vintageSW77

• Moderators

Now i know mods dont like this kind of thing and im a glutton for punishment to nip back in here to read the expected dissection of my lazy grammar and my dislike for formulaic or past it tv shows(and guess what im not refering to Red Dwarf) but you find sometimes you cant help yourself can you.

Actually I raised a few points other than what you've just mentioned here and edited above :angel:

And as for your 'dislike' of things - no one has an issue with it in terms of telling you what you SHOULD and SHOULDN'T like. All I'm saying (and others too I think) is that there's an appropriate place for you elsewhere to request what you're personally interested in. It doesn't take much to respect others and their tastes. Why do you feel the need to try and p!ss them off?

Use the topics related to what you like, but don't begrudge others and their own tastes.

Edited by DavidB