Russell T Davies Quits...Moffatt In

S1J0

The BBC has confirmed that Russell T Davies will be stepping down after the 3 2009 specials of Dr Who as head honcho. He will be replaced by Stephen Moffatt who all fans will know from working on the series to date. On a side note, Moffatt had applied for this position before but was turned down. Mind you, he was 7 years old at the time.

• Moderators

He should do a good job, however I think some people are expecting a whole series of Blink-quality episodes which is probably unrealistic. He'll need to keep the consistency of what works with the show overall.

good

less being hit over the head with the gay referances almost every episode

he should be praised for bringing the Doctor back but hes been slacking

the xmas episode was AWFUL

im glad they got another fan to take over

I'm... less than enthusiastic about this.

I didn't like The Girl in the Fireplace or Blink.

I thought The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances was good, though.

Still.

As long as Moffat doesn't make stupid choices, or make another round of not-scary-at-all monsters, I think he'll do well...

I wonder if he will remain writing the odd episode here and there?

I think that Moffatt is sensible enough to know what works. I cannot see the BBC allowing discord if SM insists on each episode being the same as each other.

I wonder if David will remain, as well as Catherine Tate. It will be intriguing to see the future set up. It may just be a case of "carry on as normal".

I think that Moffatt is sensible enough to know what works. I cannot see the BBC allowing discord if SM insists on each episode being the same as each other.

I wonder if David will remain, as well as Catherine Tate. It will be intriguing to see the future set up. It may just be a case of "carry on as normal".

Tates going well before that and im sure Tennant will go when RTD goes

Tates going well before that and im sure Tennant will go when RTD goes

If it is confirmed about the departure of Catherine Tate, then I am one happy bunny. Although far better than I imagined she would be, I personally do not like her as an assistant. But, it is all about likes and dislikes of the individual as I knwo of a few people who like her character of Donna Noble.

However, I do hope that David returns for Series V. He would be a hard act to follow.

I love Donna but yip shes going after this season

there will be plenty of tears when Tennant regenerates mind and i do think he will go with RTD

i think kids (and some adults of course!) will have a hard time adjusting to a new Doctor this time round much as i did a very long time ago when Pertwee regenerated into Baker

i was 5 at the time and it hit hard...i cried my eyes out for hours

i was the same with Baker going too though this time without the tears..

well maybe a little bit of welling up

Edited by vintageSW77

I love Donna but yip shes going after this season

there will be plenty of tears when Tennant regenerates mind and i do think he will go with RTD

i think kids (and some adults of course!) will have a hard time adjusting to a new Doctor this time round much as i did a very long time ago when Pertwee regenerated into Baker

i was 5 at the time and it hit hard...i cried my eyes out for hours

i was the same with Baker going too though this time without the tears..

well maybe a little bit of welling up

I hold my hands to the fact that I thought Tate would bomb. But she hasn't. But there is still this nagging thought that she is going to say "Am I bovvered?" at some point. I guess that is down to the strength of her comic characters on her show of the same name.

I grew up with Doctor Who many years ago - I have been 21 for many years - but when Christopher Eccleston took the sonic screwdriver I was very happy. It took half a dozen episodes to get used to David Tennant, and I think that the BBC would be hard pressed to find someone to follow DT if he left after the 2009 specials. I am not sure of the relationship between RTD and DT, but DT has proven to be a consumate professional and may realise that good viewing figures in the States may open up work opportunities for him in Hollyweird. With the emergence of a "daughter", I would like to see both her and David work together more as they seemed to have a good on screen chemistry - I love the running! - that I saw in the recent episode "The Doctors Daughter".

I guess that only time will tell.

I think the future of Dr Who is really exciting!!!

I am LOVIN this season - I think the chemistry between David and Catherine is awsome... Having said that I LOVED The Runaway Bride so I was really excited about Donna's return this year....

Catherine has confirmed she is only doing the one year which leaves us companion less for the Specials.... I know that there is not a proper companion for the Christmas Special so that leaves next year...

I would love it to be Jenny... I thought Georgia Moffatt had excellet chemistry with David and I would also love to see the 2 of them together again... rumor has it that it was Stephen Moffatt that wanted the character kept alive so I guess time will tell....

Lisa

He should do a good job, however I think some people are expecting a whole series of Blink-quality episodes which is probably unrealistic. He'll need to keep the consistency of what works with the show overall.

Agreed on all counts. I'm actually concerned for the poor bloke because I'm sure there are those who, if he doesn't achieve and maintain that same "Blink" quality, etc, throughout the first few eps (let alone a whole series) will be slagging him off like there's no tomorrow. I can't help thinking that taking over from RTD is a bit of a poisoned chalice.

good less being hit over the head with the gay referances almost every episode

I don't mind them, but you're right; god they get boring.

Edited by yeltz-lass