LFCC 08 Preperations

Ladyd

Ok so i'm being sneeky at work. yes people i have a job where as before when i started this whole thing...i didn't...

anyway, i'm still not back online at home just yet because of a Tiscali upgrade gone wrong so this is going to be quick.

i'm setting up an E-mail for you guys to book your places in the sat and sunday masquerade,

costumes worn before BUT not won a prize CAN be entered.

Please email a picture or a link to a picture so we can grab it and print out for the judges.

if you have it, please send the music you want played when you go on stage OR let us know what it is and we'll do our best to find it for you.

Hopefully both days WILL be busy so you will not be asked any questions.

You will be given (dipending on amount of entries) upto 1 min 30 secs MAX on stage. good for posing for the photographer and audience and maybe even a little bit of mimed stuff lol...

We will be changing the prizes from 1st, 2nd and 3rd to the following.

Best TV related

Best FILM related

Best ANIME/MANGA related

Best Childs entry

Best Origional

Judges Fav

Audience Fav

The standard Prizes will be a Certificate of what you came, £25 Cash and then what ever is provided by the sponsors.

The Childs aka under 12 years prize will be a certificate and a goodie bag if i can get one (fingers crossed) as i would like them to go away with something other than a certificate...possable a manga portraite from the Astral Gypsie, BTW Emma your brother still hasn't had his done from when he won one at Manchester.

uhh thats it for now.

does that sound OK...i've been working with the tech crew and should be getting a better idea of where things are going to be and i'm trying to get atleast SOME cosplay related stalls near us that can give hints and tips for make up, teeth, clothes ect....BUT we'll have to see how the lay out goes...

any way, gotta go, thanks to Sephy for putting my message out on the C13 post, i had to do via her answer machine lol. cheers babe.

OK FYI just made an e-mail

cosplayatsm@googlemail.com

i will let you know how to do the sign up ASAP for both days.

Edited by Ladyd

OK so how about

Film/TV,

Games (this includes video and others like WoW),

Anime/Manga - for the obviouse japanese, chinese etc... influence,

Only have Origional if there are enough entries

audience fave

Judges fav

kids entrie

it was suggested how about ignoring the catagories and just have kids, single entries and groups, plus the judges & audience fav.

how would you feel about that?

I think the idea of the different categories is a better idea than kids/singles/groups. The amended cosplay categories is looking good, although how would you judge original entries? Do they have to make up some sort of reference?

I do like the catergories but there would be a prob if not enough people turned up that fitted in a particular catergory.

Yes, Jack was meant to get his protrait done at C13 but forgot his certificate is it okay if he gets it done at C14?

C14 is fine hun

yeah the grouping people together hence my origional thought in Cmidlands was

TV/Film/Theater

Anime/Manga/Game

Origional

Kids (i could easily group the origional toghether with this one to make the amount of entries bigger as they are both the smallest groups)

judges fav

Audience fav

and keep it like that?

best in catagory = 3 catagories plus the judges and audience...this way it also means with there being 5 prizes it'll be £30 and not the £25 so the children or best origional costume will also get money and a cert

I think the idea of the different categories is a better idea than kids/singles/groups. The amended cosplay categories is looking good, although how would you judge original entries? Do they have to make up some sort of reference?

with regards to origionals some people have actually had a character draw for them, or they drew on themselves, sometimes they have been creative and peiced togther a mix of the charaters via cutting pics and sticking bits together...otherwise the last resort is a very good description.

i'm still liking the

catagory - FILM/TV/STAGE

catagory - ANIME/MANGA/GAME

catagory - ORIGIONAL/KIDS

as what you go by and prizes for the above plus the 2 below

Judges Fav & Audience Fav

Just don't forget to split groups/individuals....

Cause otherwise it's almost ALWAYS a group that will win.

As wel, due to a cuteness facto, if you group "Kids" and "original", it's always a kid that's gonna win... so i suggest to make a special category for them

So usually i'd say you should have:

GROUPS:

TV/Film/Theater

Anime/Manga/Game

Original

judges fav

Audience fav

INDIVIDUALS:

TV/Film/Theater

Anime/Manga/Game

Original

judges fav

Audience fav

KIDS

TV/Film/Theater

Anime/Manga/Game

Origional

judges fav

Audience fav

Seems lenghty like it, but keep in mind you won't always have applicants for EACH category/subcategory....

That's what we do in the Belgian Cosplay Team contest and it works fab.

Also, at the BCT, we refuse all participants without a ref picture, and it's stated all over the place so no one can say they didn't know!

Our rule also state that if your costume won a prize, you can't apply with this specific costume anymore, unless huge changes have been done onto it.

But as long as you haven't win anything with it, you can enter several times...

There ya go :)

As wel, due to a cuteness facto, if you group "Kids" and "original", it's always a kid that's gonna win... so i suggest to make a special category for them

GROUPS:

TV/Film/Theater

Anime/Manga/Game

Original

judges fav

Audience fav

INDIVIDUALS:

TV/Film/Theater

Anime/Manga/Game

Original

judges fav

Audience fav

KIDS

TV/Film/Theater

Anime/Manga/Game

Origional

judges fav

Audience fav

Seems lengthy like it, but keep in mind you won't always have applicants for EACH category/subcategory....

Also, at the BCT, we refuse all participants without a ref picture, and it's stated all over the place so no one can say they didn't know!

Our rule also state that if your costume won a prize, you can't apply with this specific costume anymore, unless huge changes have been done onto it.

you know i'd love to have those groups BUT there are a few problems that stop me, some would be:

- i only have £150 a day to split between the winners....the more there are the less they get.

- i only have what our sponsors give us and we don't have that many yet.

- i only have 1 hour for the show and the masquerade isn't that big yet.

- i'm trying to keep things simple for crew, judges and scared cosplayers.

so i need to sort out a system that works with regards to prizes.

£150 splits 5 & 6 ways very well £25 or £30, enough for a group to split and great for an individual to have, certificates are easy and can be printed there or sent to you.

NOW i could stick to having JUST a certificate for oth the judges and audience fave...that would give way to 2 more money prizes for groups.

for eg:

Best Individual - TV/Film/Theater - £30 & Cert (plus what ever sponsors give us)

Best Individual - Anime/Manga/Game - £30 & Cert (plus what ever sponsors give us)

Best Group - TV/Film/Theater - £30 & Cert (plus what ever sponsors give us)

Best Group - Anime/Manga/Game - £30 & Cert (plus what ever sponsors give us)

Original - £20 & Cert

Kids - £10 & Cert

Judges fav - Cert only

Audience fav - Cert only

how does the above seem?

our sponsors are currently:

Showmasters - Money & Certificates

The Astral Gypsy - Manga portraits and art work

SFX magazine - (top prize for sat) Mock front SFX cover

Incognito comics & Collectibles - A figurine from a TV show

LC Toys - (top prize for sun) can be anything from a lightsaber to a big gun

Orbital Manga - Manga goodie bag

Dimensional Manga - Manga books and posters

i'm trying to make it a great experience for everyone but you'll always get some people that are not happy.

ref picture - yes it's good to always have one, other wise the judges can't make a good enough decision based on what your meant to be - BUT you do get people who've come along dressed up and didn't know there was going to be a masquerade and therefore really didn't know they had to have a ref picture, however they would know for next time and it saves a load of random people turning up in jeans, t-shirt and a wig calling them selves something that i wouldn't know from harry.

also agreed on the entering a costume you've used before and didn't win anything so i'm going to make changes to stuff on the pinned areas. rules n guidelines ect.

GROUPS:

TV/Film/Theater

Anime/Manga/Game

Original

judges fav

Audience fav

INDIVIDUALS:

TV/Film/Theater

Anime/Manga/Game

Original

judges fav

Audience fav

KIDS

TV/Film/Theater

Anime/Manga/Game

Origional

judges fav

Audience fav

As much as we'd all like having all of those categories, you do have to think about it realistically - In all of the masquerades I've entered, I've only seen one child entry per masq. The judges have a limited amount of prizes to split between everyone!

Also, with the original entries - Although sometimes you can come across some good entries, there's also times where people just turn up in regular clothes, put on some cat ears and say it's a costume. You can see there's been a lot less effort put into them than other cosplayers, but I don't really know any way around that. :/ Maybe the prizes could be changed for £15 each for original and kids? I don't know, it's ultimately up to you, haha.

I really like these categories:

Best Individual - TV/Film/Theater - £30 & Cert (plus what ever sponsors give us)

Best Individual - Anime/Manga/Game - £30 & Cert (plus what ever sponsors give us)

Original - £20 & Cert

Kids - £10 & Cert

Judges fav - Cert only

Audience fav - Cert only

Thanks again for listening to us, Ladyd.

GROUPS:

TV/Film/Theater

Anime/Manga/Game

Original

judges fav

Audience fav

INDIVIDUALS:

TV/Film/Theater

Anime/Manga/Game

Original

judges fav

Audience fav

KIDS

TV/Film/Theater

Anime/Manga/Game

Origional

judges fav

Audience fav

As much as we'd all like having all of those categories, you do have to think about it realistically - In all of the masquerades I've entered, I've only seen one child entry per masq. The judges have a limited amount of prizes to split between everyone!

Also, with the original entries - Although sometimes you can come across some good entries, there's also times where people just turn up in regular clothes, put on some cat ears and say it's a costume. You can see there's been a lot less effort put into them than other cosplayers, but I don't really know any way around that. :/ Maybe the prizes could be changed for £15 each for original and kids? I don't know, it's ultimately up to you, haha.

I really like these categories:

Original - £20 & Cert

Kids - £10 & Cert

Judges fav - Cert only

Audience fav - Cert only

Thanks again for listening to us, Ladyd.

£15 each can be arranged for original and kids...

the reason i originally put them in one category is because you don't get many and they're not always great and i don't want a person winning by default cos they're the only one in the category so by putting the 2 most unused categories together i thought i solve the problem that way.

i have now adjusted the Masquerade rules BTW so please take a look.

[The only way to learn, is to listen]

Edited by Ladyd

One of my originals that I'm thinking of entering at some point took WEEKS of hard work and it's almost entirely made by hand, so I'd be very disappointed to only get £15 when people who may have bought quite a lot of theirs get double the amount just because they're from something published etc. An original that was, as previously mentioned, just jeans, t-shirt and wig/cat ears probably wouldn't (and definitely shouldn't) win anyway as nothing has been put into it.

Apart from that, I like everything you've set out so far :angel:

Ooh, and according to the bottom of the forum it's your birthday, so happy birthday! :thumbup:

Edited by TurkFox

One of my originals that I'm thinking of entering at some point took WEEKS of hard work and it's almost entirely made by hand, so I'd be very disappointed to only get £15 when people who may have bought quite a lot of theirs get double the amount just because they're from something published etc. An original that was, as previously mentioned, just jeans, t-shirt and wig/cat ears probably wouldn't (and definitely shouldn't) win anyway as nothing has been put into it.

Apart from that, I like everything you've set out so far :thumbup:

Ooh, and according to the bottom of the forum it's your birthday, so happy birthday! :P

yes it's my birthday lol, i'm 29 today, thanks for noticing :angel:

with only £30 left to work with and an umpteen amount of certs available how would you split it with the original and kids prize?

Bit unrelated sorry. Just wanted to say Hope you had a Happy Birthday hun!!! *hugs* :D

If you need me to help with anything for LFCC or anything else let me know; was fab crewing with you at c13, hopefully get to work with you at cosplay again.

;) Tess -x-

GROUPS:

TV/Film/Theater

Anime/Manga/Game

Original

judges fav

Audience fav

INDIVIDUALS:

TV/Film/Theater

Anime/Manga/Game

Original

judges fav

Audience fav

KIDS

TV/Film/Theater

Anime/Manga/Game

Origional

judges fav

Audience fav

Seems lenghty like it, but keep in mind you won't always have applicants for EACH category/subcategory....

I agree that you should have a seperate category for groups. I came second at CM Midlands as Jadis (Narnia), realiasticaly, I should have come first . The group entry that won at that particular show was great fun, but they didn't so much make their costumes as put them together whereas I handmade every part of my costume , including the wig. I'm not complaining, I'm merely relating what I was told by one of the judges afterwards, no disrespect to the people who won!. I'm only saying that single entry competing against a group will always have a disadvantage as the group entry will always have a massive visual impact.

With the categories, I would say that until we get above the thirty + entrants mark, we ought to keep it to a max of 4 + audience/judge favorites, or you run the risk of having one entrant in a single category...which defeats the idea of a competition.

So

1-Group

2-Film, TV & Books (originals)

3-Games Anime manga

4-Kids/ under 15

Audience Fav ( remember this could be won by someone who wins one of the main cat! I've seen it happen before)

Juges fav

I also strongly belive that, apart from the kids category, entrants should have made at least 60% of their costume.

Edited by wyrdsister

So

1-Group

3-Games Anime manga

4-Kids/ under 15

Audience Fav ( remember this could be won by someone who wins one of the main cat! I've seen it happen before)

Juges fav

I also strongly belive that, apart from the kids category, entrants should have made at least 60% of their costume.

Couldn't agree more! I like your version of the categories, particularly as it doesn't penalise original costumes. I also agree about having to have made 60% of it - it's the same with most other masquerades/competitions. It's also unfair to watch someone who's had a quick trip round Primark or done a few clicks on eBay winning a big cash prize when someone made theirs by hand entirely.

(not mentioning any names, but this happened once last year, and then later in the year outwith the competition when I worked on mine for weeks for part of a group only for the same person to be there with his bought costume and take all the attention, and not one person asked me about mine... I was upset, to say the least. There are pretty much no photos of me from that day, because no one even knew I was there next to him. Don't get me wrong, he's a nice person and all - but he shouldn't have one that competition when so many people had actually put some work into theirs rather than just throwing money at a costume maker.)

Oh, and I loved your Narnia costume! You were robbed that day! :D

Edited by TurkFox

With the categories, I would say that until we get above the thirty + entrants mark, we ought to keep it to a max of 4 + audience/judge favorites, or you run the risk of having one entrant in a single category...which defeats the idea of a competition.

So

1-Group

3-Games Anime manga

4-Kids/ under 15

Juges fav

I agree with this,as some original costumes take just as long if not longer to make, and deserve the same as others but would also be a little more lenient to say that contestants MUST have at least made half ( 50%) their costume/props, or HEAVILY ADAPTED what they have put together.Or say it must definately NOT be a comissioned costume or just shop bought,( something along those lines).I just feel there is no point someone entering if they have done absolutely nothing towards the creativiry of the costume THEY are wearing, ( unless of course someone is wearing a costume on behalf of the maker, and the maker is credited as such).

So

1-Group

3-Games Anime manga

4-Kids/ under 15

Juges fav

I agree with this,as some original costumes take just as long if not longer to make, and deserve the same as others but would also be a little more lenient to say that contestants MUST have at least made half ( 50%) their costume/props, or HEAVILY ADAPTED what they have put together.Or say it must definately NOT be a comissioned costume or just shop bought,( something along those lines).I just feel there is no point someone entering if they have done absolutely nothing towards the creativiry of the costume THEY are wearing, ( unless of course someone is wearing a costume on behalf of the maker, and the maker is credited as such).

I saw your purple fairy costume at an event and thought it was amazing.

OK so your happy with:

Best Group (this could be from any of the below categories)

Individual would be:

Best Film, TV & Books (originals)

Best Games Anime manga

Best Kids/ under 15 (can be by default though if only 1 enters.)

Audience Fav (if someone wins the in the main catagories would it be wise to go for the next best? or stick with giving that person 2 prizes? )

Juges fav (again same as above)

With regards to costumes, we do NOT allow shop bought ie. of the rack from a fancy dress shop ect...

take my costumes for instance i spend a lot of time finding the right piece of clothing or wig for the outfit, charity shop, ebay ect mainly cos i don't sew very well though i have done on occation i still spend a lot of time and money into creating something to make it perfect even if i havn't got specific creativity skills for making things from scratch.

but yes Shop bought like a supergirl out fit is a no no unless they're a child, even then if they did make it all themselves they have more chance of winning.

also having an e-mail address for entries now makes things easier for signing up, and photo's (with the exception of origional costumes) MUST be provided.

Edited by Ladyd

• 1 month later...

Best Film, TV & Books (originals)

Best Games Anime manga

I have a question for everyone...

what catagory would you put Cartoons and comics in? and we're talking of the non japanese style like Marvel and DC.

i'm torn because both can be placed in either catagory.

I'd put them in with the second category as: Games,Anime, Manga/Non-Manga/comics

Oh and these aren't going to clash are they?

http://showmastersonline.com/forums/index....40458&st=20

yeah i thought as much....anime/animations and books/comics

with regards to the link, i've only just found out about this...but i'm sure the masquerade will be at an earlier time if it goes ahead...so far we have not had any entries for Sunday only the Saturday.