horror convention

I definitely agree! A friend of mine who lives in the States goes to quite a few and she says they are definitely her favourites. The atmosphere is always good and you're surrounded by horror fans so you're naturally in good company! :) I just think it would be a really great environment and a hell of a lot of fun!

And just think of all those guests!!!

The states are so lucky they get all the horror conventions.

I soooo badly want to go to 30 years of terror (Halloween reunion)

plus alot of US ones are part of magazine which also sell here so sm could try and join forces with them to put on a horror con even if they just stuck to the mainstream ones like halloween,nightmare on elm, friday 13 etc i think they would get a good turn out.

definitly an opening in the uk market for one havent been able to find any

Well if one could be slotted in this year, it is the 30th Anniversary of Halloween. There is already a US con to celebrate it and we've had a few Halloween guest now at Collectormania. So how about it guys?

The states are so lucky they get all the horror conventions.

I think the US get horror cons cos of all the horror magazines out there and the films and guests are predominantly American anyway. Plus US fans are rather more boitrous and clued-up about movie-fandom judging by US con footage from Q+As I've seen (they cheer at the mere mention of nearly any film or star).

Edited by nicky

i think its better that Showmasters didnt do a Horror con as all the usual suspects would be asking for Buffy and Heroes guests to attend

id love a Showmasters con with Hammer stars,Italian nasties stars and american horror stars from the 60s to the late 80s but i think its that particular other con in Manchester later this year that will have to do

the usual suspects would be asking for Buffy and Heroes guests to attend
Why would they ask for Heroes guests?:headscratch: That isn't horror is it?

there are a lot of confused and deluded types on this forum

im sure someone would ask

Heroes stars dont really qualify for a film and comic con either but lo and behold there are two minor Heroes types signed up for that who have no relevance to Horror OR comics

im sure wed see someone from the show at a Horror con taking up valuable space

ill bet my Argento collection on it

i think these cons should be what it says on the tin

we need a horror con in the uk

Edited by vintageSW77

Heroes stars dont really qualify for a film and comic con either but lo and behold there are two minor Heroes types signed up for that
I think the "London Film & Comic Con" (if that's what you were referring to) is only called that by name - a marketing tool if you will as it's proven that SM tend to go across the board of film and TV....but more TV it seems, probably cos they're more obtainable and viable cos of current shows.

For some reason, us movie-fans are severly out-numbered by TV-fans at these cons and this board in particular it seems. I guess TV has been getting better shows but it's also cos it's more accessible to people as they dont have to leave the house to watch a show on TV nor do they need to pay money as opposed to renting a video or getting a cinema ticket. This is particularly relevent to disabled/wheel-chaired people or young kids who cant leave the house alone or dont have the pocket-money to spend and that's why they're are so many of them at the cons - they watch so much TV, as they cant do much else, that they are bound to like something!

And no, there's nothing wrong with that and I'm not saying anything bad about them before anyone starts.

there are two minor Heroes types signed up for that who have no relevance to Horror OR comics

None of SMs cons though are specifically targetted at horror and sadly I don't see SM ever doing a horror only con. Why do that when we they already (probably) get all the stars that they are able to get at CM/LFCC etc? Plus like I said earlier, British fandom just isnt as big or clued-up as in the US where cons have have been going for years. Plus for SM it would mean getting most of the guests over from the US.

Edited by nicky

I'd actually like to see Adrian Pasdar at a horror con, get a bit of a Near Dark thing going on. But I agree that is undoubtedly easier for the States to hold horror conventions because a lot of the stars would be American. But SM have gotton a lot of good horror guests in the past, lest we forget Bruce Campbell! It's far from an impossibility that they could manage a horror con, even if it is relatively small.

But SM have gotton a lot of good horror guests in the past, lest we forget Bruce Campbell! It's far from an impossibility that they could manage a horror con, even if it is relatively small.

But it's all about getting them together at the same time - look at the Horror themed CM 12, SM weren't able to get many guests for that one so just imagine how hard it would be to get a horror con all to itself here.

Edited by nicky

I'd actually like to see Adrian Pasdar at a horror con, get a bit of a Near Dark thing going on.

SEE!

They try any old trick these Heroes fans!

Id love to meet any of the old Horror crumpet

Madeline Smith,Ingrid Pitt,Kate O Mara or that Yutte chick from Lust for a Vampire etc or the Italian Horror chicks from the 70s and eighties.

Edited by vintageSW77

I'd actually like to see Adrian Pasdar at a horror con, get a bit of a Near Dark thing going on.

SEE!

They try any old trick these Heroes fans!

Id love to meet any of the old Horror crumpet

Madeline Smith,Ingrid Pitt,Kate O Mara or that Yutte chick from Lust for a Vampire etc or the Italian Horror chicks from the 70s and eighties.

:thumbup: Actually, I haven't watched a single episode of Heroes ever, I just know he's in it.

But SM have gotton a lot of good horror guests in the past, lest we forget Bruce Campbell! It's far from an impossibility that they could manage a horror con, even if it is relatively small.

But it's all about getting them together at the same time - look at the Horror themed CM 12, SM weren't able to get many guests for that one so just imagine how hard it would be to get a horror con all to itself here.

I do disagree with you slightly on this matter nicky....i personally think if any potential SM horror themed con was properly promoted as such(CM 12 wasn't in my opinion) it would attract more high profile horror guests.Many guests who are only or primarily known for their horror work are only inclined to attend events where they will get dedicated horror attendee's as they don't envisage being very busy otherwise.

• 2 months later...

The UK is sadly overdue for a decent Horror con.

The iconic stars of the Hammer/Amicus era are not getting any younger - witness the sad passing of Hazel Court earlier this year, and I would love to meet at least some of them. There is an enormous pool of seriously great actors/directors from later films that would also satisfy most of us gore-hounds!

Come on Showmasters, give it a go, put yourself out on a (dis-membered?) limb, experiment - BE BOLD!!

:angel:

• 2 weeks later...

we really need a horror convention, theres so many people i'd like to meet, kane hodder and the other 'jasons' any of the michael myers, elvira, sooo many more. theres only so many times i can go to see robert englund and doug bradley ( as cool as they are) and cant always afford to travel just to meet the one horror guest that is at a show, like gunnar hannsen, i would like to go but it would be a damn expensive autograph.

i've been looking and cant find one single horror convention in the uk, bloody yanks get one a week.

• 2 weeks later...

we really need a horror convention, theres so many people i'd like to meet, kane hodder and the other 'jasons' any of the michael myers, elvira, sooo many more. theres only so many times i can go to see robert englund and doug bradley ( as cool as they are) and cant always afford to travel just to meet the one horror guest that is at a show, like gunnar hannsen, i would like to go but it would be a damn expensive autograph.

i've been looking and cant find one single horror convention in the uk, bloody yanks get one a week.

Gunner Hansen is doing Collectivemania Milton Keynes. I wouldnt mind getting my leatherface tattoo autographed and tattood like I did with Robert Englund. I was going to get Doug Bradley to autograph my Pinhead tattoo but my mates studio was shut that day, so the ink would have been a waste of an autograph. Only got Jason Candyman , some zombie flesh eaters cast, and Angus Scrimm from Phantasm to autograph my back so ive got all my characters autographs tattood. Sad I know, but I had a rough upbringing :wub:

i'd love to meet some of the Phantasm cast, or even the the old school Lucio Fulci films cast, i.e House by the cemetery, The Beyond, City of the living dead, Zombie flesh eaters etc, and other guys like MANIAC COP, Bruce Campbell (Has never been to Glasgow) , or even James Hong (David Lo Pan from Big Trouble In Little China)

• 6 months later...