Has Collectormanina out grown the MK:Centre

zephyrbrett

i think it needs to move somewhere bigger as it gets to crowded with the people shopping there as well, even if it stay in mk, and i think the virtual que is not that great as i never got to see the person that i went to see even after getting a ticket to go back

I hate all the bloody prams- it's like a regular traffic jam sometimes around the stalls. I HATE IT.

Surely it has not come down to people with kids not being able to come I have a 2 year old and she came to the event. When I can get a sitter I do, but she should be able to attend regardless. I try and be as aware of everyone just as much as I am aware of my little girl, but the same can't be said for all the people aimlesslhy standing around for nothing not even watching who is standing behind them.

i will never stop taking my 17 month old she has been going since she was born so what ever people say i will always go with her

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually being a little facetious with this comment ;-) Im not aware of what amenities/facilities MK has going for it and this wouldn't actually matter (where I live in Worcestersihre probably has even less in terms of facilities and things to do). It is more the 'feel' of the place that i am not a fan of (As another poster said its like LEGO town). It just doesn't have any soul; probably because it hasn't been around long enough so its not rooted in any kind of history. Maybe if i got in my Delorean and came back in 500 years it might be different but for now I won't look forward to visiting again.

HELL YEAH Collectormania has outgrown Centre MK!

Agree with a lot of what has been said.

Agree with lizzy and collectorman that pushchairs are a problem. How about starting a showmasters creche so that parents dont have to take kids into the show (im assuming a kid young enough for a pushchair wouldn't be interested in the show itself).

The other thing I noticed was quite a few wheelchairs. Obviously im not saying that fangirls/boys in wheelchairs shouldnt go to shows. But sometimes it just looked like the family had taken their slightly bemused granny for a day out!!!

As for parents being inconsiderate with pushchairs and ramming into people i think this goes back to a point I made in another thread. People in our society in general are getting ruder and more selfish, its not restricted to geeks.

James the horse i agree totally that the personal hygeine of a number of people at the show was slightly suspect (normally the ones I get stuck behind in queues). To quote Wil Wheaton (ST:TNGs Wesley Crusher) "Take a bath people!" Just glad Collectormania isn't in the height of summer.

Oh and manbeast 'Collectormania is one of the only things MK has going for it' One of the only things? or the only thing?

Don't think thats fair. do you live in MK???

Depends who you are and what you like, MK has loads going for it.

Agree with lizzy and collectorman that pushchairs are a problem. How about starting a showmasters creche so that parents dont have to take kids into the show (im assuming a kid young enough for a pushchair wouldn't be interested in the show itself).

The other thing I noticed was quite a few wheelchairs. Obviously im not saying that fangirls/boys in wheelchairs shouldnt go to shows. But sometimes it just looked like the family had taken their slightly bemused granny for a day out!!!

As for parents being inconsiderate with pushchairs and ramming into people i think this goes back to a point I made in another thread. People in our society in general are getting ruder and more selfish, its not restricted to geeks.

James the horse i agree totally that the personal hygeine of a number of people at the show was slightly suspect (normally the ones I get stuck behind in queues). To quote Wil Wheaton (ST:TNGs Wesley Crusher) "Take a bath people!" Just glad Collectormania isn't in the height of summer.

Oh and manbeast 'Collectormania is one of the only things MK has going for it' One of the only things? or the only thing?

if you feel pushchairs should not be there then it needs to move from the shopping centre im guessing you dont have children, i wont leave my daughter with a total stranger and im guessing most people wouldnt either, and my daughter was in her pushchair so as not to get stood on by inconsiderate people who have no respect for pushchairs

I was actually being a little facetious with this comment ;-) Im not aware of what amenities/facilities MK has going for it and this wouldn't actually matter (where I live in Worcestersihre probably has even less in terms of facilities and things to do). It is more the 'feel' of the place that i am not a fan of (As another poster said its like LEGO town). It just doesn't have any soul; probably because it hasn't been around long enough so its not rooted in any kind of history. Maybe if i got in my Delorean and came back in 500 years it might be different but for now I won't look forward to visiting again.

Fair comment, but no more than 5 minutes is Bletchley (part of MK) and ther you find Bletchley Park, where they broke the German codes in WW2. It might not have as much history as some places but its got a little.

Like i said before depend what you like etc as to whether a place has what you want. I'm not a big fan of Mancester but still go for the events. after all each to their own! LOL

I think that the main problem is, while it's great to have the event in the shopping centre, as there is plenty to do while waiting for the VT numbers to be called, it's the members of the public who are the gawpers and get in the way of those who are there to specifically see the guests. I don't think it's a problem that can be solved very easily.

I think that the main problem is, while it's great to have the event in the shopping centre, as there is plenty to do while waiting for the VT numbers to be called, it's the members of the public who are the gawpers and get in the way of those who are there to specifically see the guests. I don't think it's a problem that can be solved very easily.

Half the time is Collectormania attendies causing mayhem in the aisles. I watched as the centre and collectormania security tried to disperse the crowd that had gathered around the green room waiting for John to come back from his break, these people were not your average shoppers gawping. The crowds didnt move and continues to gather round, cameras aimed at the door. I watched as many shoppers entered the centre and turned back round rather than attempt to get through the crowd.

The funniest thing was, John wasn't in the green room. As I stood futhur away by the doors minding my own business, John was walked back through, walked straight past me! Shame I didn't have my camera ready as he walked literally half a metre past!!

After that I walked out of the centre and Natalia was sitting on the floor out side having a cigarette!

Edited by tiggerbabe

Yeah but Bletchley park was there before MK. MK just expanded to engulf it. Although i agree it would be worth going to see.

Fair comment, but no more than 5 minutes is Bletchley (part of MK) and ther you find Bletchley Park, where they broke the German codes in WW2. It might not have as much history as some places but its got a little.

Like i said before depend what you like etc as to whether a place has what you want. I'm not a big fan of Mancester but still go for the events. after all each to their own! LOL

Well I wasn't suggesting that the SM crew would be looking after the kids, would need people qualified/CRB checked etc. Loads of people leave their kids at childcare while they work. Don't see why this would be different

if you feel pushchairs should not be there then it needs to move from the shopping centre im guessing you dont have children, i wont leave my daughter with a total stranger and im guessing most people wouldnt either, and my daughter was in her pushchair so as not to get stood on by inconsiderate people who have no respect for pushchairs

Edited by gobo1979uk

This thread appears after every MK CM event.

I believe it is in the perfect venue, yes an event at lets say the NEC is less fraught with danger and "gawpers" but there is nothing to do and the food is silly money.

The MK centre has loads of good distractions and plenty of reasonably priced food.

Milton Keynes itslf is nice, I had reservations about the place first of all but it grows on you and it would be rubbish elsewhere.

When C14 comes along this thread will be started again but it is tradition now I think!

Oh and yeah........ban pushchairs :YAHOO:

I am a wheelchair user and most of the people in wheelchairs that were queuing for autos with chairs were after the autos themselves. It is very difficult to get around the queues the barriers are a pain and I find myself apologising all the time for knocking people who most of the time have actually stepped backwards into me or just haven't been aware that I am there. I have to queue along with everyone else, which is fair, I don't want special treatment, but I have problems with the shear number of people that are around. Maybe Showmasters could set aside a place for wheelchairs to wait so that we are not blocking the queue?

It can be quite frightening to be in the middle of a crowd when you are using a chair. you tend to get ignored, moaned at by people who are knocking into you, backpacks shoved into your face, crushed by people from either side, stepped across and kicked in the process. I have children with me as well who often get pushed out of the way. My carer found that if he tried to have a conversation with me to the side of the chair he was prevented from going behind me again to push, by people moving too close. to the back of the chair, sometimes I even have strangers leaning on the back of my wheelchair. I even got verbal abuse yesterday for supposed queue jumping.

The situation with John Barrowmans queue was hard work. I had a VQ ticket and could not get anywhere near the board to check what number he was up too. We actually had to scream at people to get them to move out of the way. Maybe for the really busy guests a second VQ board could be set up away from the queue area?

I don't think it is the centre itself that causes problems, but I must admit I have preferred the Manchester events to the MK ones.

WHAT WOULD YOU RATHER, THAT THESE CHILDREN WHERE LOST IN THE CROWDS!!!!! THEN SECURITY WOULDN'T BE AROUND TO HELP US AS THEY'D BE TOO BUSY LOOKING FOR LOST CHILDREN. ARE YOU SO INCONSIDERATE THAT YOU'D WANT THAT AND BAN PRAMS FROM THE SHOPPING CENTRE WHICH IS WHAT IT IS!!!!

I WOULD RATHER YOU DIDN'T SHOUT!!!! ffs, don't go ott!!!

Some dude semlt like the gone off meat I nearly had the other night :YAHOO:

inconsiderate people who have no respect for pushchairs

As I said, but you clearly didn't read it, I found MANY people with pushchairs had no respect for everyone else, and just expected everyone to go around them or deserve to be barged into. Its tough with that many people around to dodge hundreds or pushchairs- like there were!

I agree, I hate MK. :YAHOO: It drives me crazy how you could drive around for miles and EVERY ROAD LOOKS THE SAME! It's like being in a computer simulation where the creator got lazy and just hit copy and paste on a 500 metre stretch of road.

As for childcare - I'm sure they can't do it, but just as a random matter of interest, I know there are some of the crew who are qualified and/or have CRB checks. I'm working in schools currently so I've been CRB checked too.

I remember some of the wheel chair users going past me ,but i tell you what...they had better manners than some of the ignorant b******* who have the ability to walk.At least these people would say excuse me.So some of the able bodied people should be removed.

Apart from that i don't really remember the day as i was in a daze.

only had 1 hours kip,why do clubs have late bars??!!

Its the 1st time i've been ,and first time in milton keynes,it was quite crowded but from what i found it was moving....yes you have the gawpers but how can you remove them when its their shopping centre?

dunno if this sh*t makes sense but i'm trying!!...lol :lol::D:D:D

Edited by gidda1974

I hate all the bloody prams- it's like a regular traffic jam sometimes around the stalls. I HATE IT.

Yeah why stop at prams, why not wheelchairs...........or fat people.

Are you for real? :D

well said o' wise one!!

:lol:

IMO, yes it has outgrown The Centre MK.

I had the chance to go to Gmex, and I have to say that I really preferred the layout of this, much easier to move around!

I also suspect that there would be advantages to showmasters if they moved to a bigger venue, since there would be more room for stallholders == more money for TSM.

Anyway! so Yes!

I didn't really have problems with being barged into etc so I have nothing to say about people in wheelchairs and prams as they were all easy to spot. The only thing I was worried about was some of the general shoppers didn't keep hold of their children and ended up having a fair few children walking into my legs and almost falling over them. This was mainly because they couldn't be seen in the huge crowds of people as obviously alot of the kids are much shorter than all the other shoppers and attendees. Maybe if parent keep hold of their children you will be able to spot the children better.

All I can say is that if you think that Collectormania is busy you should try shopping at The Centre during the Christmas period. I avoid The Centre completely from November until the end of January lol

No it hasn't

This was my 7th collectormania. I usually go on the Friday and there is always plenty of space but couldn't make that day this time . On Saturday I was surprised how easy it was to move around (and I hate crowds). Sunday was busy but that was down to the 2 big Torchwood guest queues. That would still be a problem in a dedicated hall (the heroes scrum at Earls court was much worse).

At the centre there is free admission. no queueing to get in, good places to eat outside the centre and the chance to look at the shops and the market.Please don't move.

I agree that people smelt...seriously :|

I got barged into so many times, i dont know if its cause im smallish or not but seriously. It was by shoppers and con goers. An excuse me or sorry never hurt anyone : (

your expecting too much in this day and age the country is full of ignorant people so its hard to find something as simple as that!!

As for childcare - I'm sure they can't do it, but just as a random matter of interest, I know there are some of the crew who are qualified and/or have CRB checks. I'm working in schools currently so I've been CRB checked too.

True enough, but then those of us who work with kids during the week aren't necessarily going to want to at a con too :)

I agree that people smelt...seriously :|

I got barged into so many times, i dont know if its cause im smallish or not but seriously. It was by shoppers and con goers. An excuse me or sorry never hurt anyone : (

your expecting too much in this day and age the country is full of ignorant people so its hard to find something as simple as that!!

:wub: horrible, but true