Has Collectormanina out grown the MK:Centre

zephyrbrett

I am such a big fan of Collectormania as it was the first SM's show I went to and have loved all the shows ever since.

Collectormania will always be fun for us as it was our first show. I know how much must go in to one of these shows and how hard Jason and his team must work. All the team members I have ever spoken to for many years have been great.

This show has many good points, such as free entry, distance from home, but today we just felt a bit bottled-necked. The Jon Barrowman queue today was madness. We queued up outside then went inside only to have to queue up out side again 2 mins later, then we were blocking a fire exit.

The photo shoots are becoming such a big deal for the event. There were several areas that people congregated in that caused more congestion that there is becoming nowhere to chill out.

I know the rules state that the VTs could not be given out till 10 but I can't work out why. If you get to an event at 7 in the morning and start queuing up and some one else turns up at 10 they are still going to get a higher VT number than the person who turned up at 7 as the queue forms at what ever time the first person turns up. So rather that having such a big queue and loads of people out in the cold why not give them out as soon as peolpe start turning up. No one is ever unhappy with first come first served.

Secondly when I am waiting to see the person who I have the highest VT for I love to walk around the stalls and around the other guests to see who else I want to get, but found the area with all the stalls hard to get around and was packed, the section where you could buy tickets for other events, autographs and photo tickets was a nightmare to get to and that whole side was always packed.

As I said before I love this event and completly respect how mach goes in to it, but just feel maybe the location is stopping people from having so much fun.

Is the MK:Centre too small for Collectomania?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said this a few years ago, after my first show, but I totally agree with it being there- it makes Collectormania different and unique, and I know its stupidly busy, but its part of the... charm lol

I'm afraid I have to agree with Brett.

The shopping centre is not the best place to hold this type of event, as not only is it already busy with shoppers, but it attracts the "guy or gal who can't be bothered paying to meet the guest, but wants to block all access to the queue by standing in the way taking photographs" type!!!

My 2-year-old daughter in her push chair has been jumped over and even trodden on by such ignorant 'gawpers' (but please let's not go down the "shouldn't bring kids" argument!)

I'm also in agreement about the VT's. If we're all there (crew included) why can't tickets be given out a little earlier, so that the 'early birds' and the dedicated can be sure of their tickets? (I'm sure SM have their reasons, but I can't work them out)

Having had my mini-rant(!) I would like to say that SM certainly do their best to put on a top-notch event with great names attending.

If another, better venue crops up, all well and good, but until then.... keep up the good work guys and gals!

:huh:

Edited by nobby the collector

My 2-year-old daughter in her push chair has been jumped over and even trodden on by such ignorant 'gawpers' (but please let's not go down the "shouldn't bring kids" argument!)

On the other hand, you can't tell looking at me at all, but I need a 4th op on my feet in 3 weeks, and I counted about 4 pushchairs (or similar) be barged right into my bad foot, NO apologies- one woman I had a go at cos it was the 2nd time, and tbh NOT the best place for something like that in the middle of a massive bundle! I don't mind people having them, but they need to consider others as well as the other way around. Not all of us are gawpers or can hack people keep pushing us out the way. One person actually pushed me so hard out the was at photo collection, the able nearly toppled! The crew weren't happy lol- yea, I can't move if you're squishing me :( ffs :huh: But thats a diff story lol

Edited by Lizzy

I counted about 4 pushchairs (or similar) be barged right into my bad foot, NO apologies- one woman I had a go at cos it was the 2nd time, and tbh NOT the best place for something like that in the middle of a massive bundle! I don't mind people having them, but they need to consider others as well as the other way around.

I totally agree with you about consideration being a two-way thing.

Were these people getting autographs, or were they 'just looking'???? I find the latter are the most inconsiderate, as those who attend (with the intention of meeting the guests) with children are normally as considerate (if not more so) than those without.

But anyway, as I said before, lets not make this into a 'them and us' type argument. This thread was intended to be about the venue, so let's keep it that way. :huh:

Edited by nobby the collector

It was John Barrowman, It was nowhere near this crowded on any of the days at CM 12,

The guy is huge!

Ahem....

As he was only signing on the one day...

Coupled with Bank Holiday Shoppers.

I don't think it has outgrown The Centre, Its just due to Sunday being the big day.

i think it was really really crowded it always is.....but LFCC is always crowded as well especially when adrian and milo where there, its just one of them things when popular guests are anounced

If it gets to busy don't health and safety come into play, I mean if there was a fire in there today (in the bit where the stalls are), or at some of the previous event, some people would have been pushed out the way, troden on or worse, so people could get out of the building...

I love where CM is especially as its in a shopping centre, as it means that people can do other things as well as go to the CM events, and I can't really say much more as I myself don't like it when it is too crowded (though I put up with it) especially when its very hot as sometimes I just feel like walking straight outside the centre for five muntes just to catch my breath and get some (hopefully) cold and fresh air.

I think there are always going to be those that feel CM is out growing MK, but at the same time there will also be those that feel it is fine where it is. Each to there own I say, and you can't please everyone all the time.

:WINCE:

LLAP :borg:

Edited by zebredy

i think it was really really crowded it always is.....but LFCC is always crowded as well especially when adrian and milo where there, its just one of them things when popular guests are anounced

The last LFCC was crowded as it was in the smaller venue in Earls Court. Back to where it should be this year. Much more space and proper Blockbuster actors like John Hurt and Patrick Stewart - sorry what has Jon Barrowman done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doctor Who, Torchwood, How Do You Solve Like Maria ?, Any Dream Will Do and I'd Do Anything all regularly watched by millions of people, im not a massive fan or anything but he's quite a big name

yeah john barrowman is gonna attract the people who aren't there for the event - just so they can get a peek at him. but cm will always be in milton keynes - like some else said it just wouldn't be traidition. plus i can't imagine it was half as busy as c4 with elijah,sean,dom+andy all there at the peak of lotr popularity, now that was crowded!

I totally agree with you about consideration being a two-way thing.

Were these people getting autographs, or were they 'just looking'???? I find the latter are the most inconsiderate, as those who attend (with the intention of meeting the guests) with children are normally as considerate (if not more so) than those without.

Oh I totally agree! I can tell who are the regulars deffo- and I never get that at any of the LFCC/ gmex etc events.

I got really upset near the end- there was a woman walking out the center just infront of me texting away on her phone, and her, must have been just walking- so 1/2 yo? little girl was walking BEHIND her, and kept going near me, I was so freaked out that someone coulda snatched her and that mother wouldn't have known for quite a while! You have to be so careful nowadays... when I go out with my 5 yo niece, I don't let her out of my site, and would make sure she held my hand most of the time... I esp wouldn't take my eye off such a lil one :WINCE:

/rant

this question comes up every year, no way has it out grown MK.

Sure it was busy today and some of the queues could have been organised better but as a whole there was no health and safety issues,today was a lot busier than yesterday but we still could get around fine.

long live Collectormania MK

obiton

It was John Barrowman, It was nowhere near this crowded on any of the days at CM 12,

The guy is huge!

Ahem....

As he was only signing on the one day...

Coupled with Bank Holiday Shoppers.

I don't think it has outgrown The Centre, Its just due to Sunday being the big day.

Today was nothing compared with C4 with Hobbitmania, people where selling there VQ tickets for £50 a pop to have a chance of meeting them, that was true mania, today was small in comparison.

There are some good points to having it in the centre MK, like not having to go far for drinks which wont be overly expensive! and whilst waiting for your ticket to come up you can go off else where instead of spending x amount of time by the event.

The down side is the poor shoppers who hasve to put up with us! i noticed how some of us lose our politeness with these people. We block their way, crowd around the ailse so that even wheelchair users and buggys can't get through - how can we be so inconsiderate!!!!!! These poor people just want to get past and get on with their weekly shopping, they shouldn't have to experinece such rudeness! Put yourself in their shoes?

I hate all the bloody prams- it's like a regular traffic jam sometimes around the stalls. I HATE IT.

WHAT WOULD YOU RATHER, THAT THESE CHILDREN WHERE LOST IN THE CROWDS!!!!! THEN SECURITY WOULDN'T BE AROUND TO HELP US AS THEY'D BE TOO BUSY LOOKING FOR LOST CHILDREN. ARE YOU SO INCONSIDERATE THAT YOU'D WANT THAT AND BAN PRAMS FROM THE SHOPPING CENTRE WHICH IS WHAT IT IS!!!!

HELL YEAH Collectormania has outgrown Centre MK!

Agree with a lot of what has been said.

Agree with lizzy and collectorman that pushchairs are a problem. How about starting a showmasters creche so that parents dont have to take kids into the show (im assuming a kid young enough for a pushchair wouldn't be interested in the show itself).

The other thing I noticed was quite a few wheelchairs. Obviously im not saying that fangirls/boys in wheelchairs shouldnt go to shows. But sometimes it just looked like the family had taken their slightly bemused granny for a day out!!!

As for parents being inconsiderate with pushchairs and ramming into people i think this goes back to a point I made in another thread. People in our society in general are getting ruder and more selfish, its not restricted to geeks.

James the horse i agree totally that the personal hygeine of a number of people at the show was slightly suspect (normally the ones I get stuck behind in queues). To quote Wil Wheaton (ST:TNGs Wesley Crusher) "Take a bath people!" Just glad Collectormania isn't in the height of summer.

Oh and manbeast 'Collectormania is one of the only things MK has going for it' One of the only things? or the only thing?

I hate all the bloody prams- it's like a regular traffic jam sometimes around the stalls. I HATE IT.

Surely it has not come down to people with kids not being able to come I have a 2 year old and she came to the event. When I can get a sitter I do, but she should be able to attend regardless. I try and be as aware of everyone just as much as I am aware of my little girl, but the same can't be said for all the people aimlesslhy standing around for nothing not even watching who is standing behind them.

HELL YEAH Collectormania has outgrown Centre MK!

Agree with a lot of what has been said.

Agree with lizzy and collectorman that pushchairs are a problem. How about starting a showmasters creche so that parents dont have to take kids into the show (im assuming a kid young enough for a pushchair wouldn't be interested in the show itself).

The other thing I noticed was quite a few wheelchairs. Obviously im not saying that fangirls/boys in wheelchairs shouldnt go to shows. But sometimes it just looked like the family had taken their slightly bemused granny for a day out!!!

As for parents being inconsiderate with pushchairs and ramming into people i think this goes back to a point I made in another thread. People in our society in general are getting ruder and more selfish, its not restricted to geeks.

James the horse i agree totally that the personal hygeine of a number of people at the show was slightly suspect (normally the ones I get stuck behind in queues). To quote Wil Wheaton (ST:TNGs Wesley Crusher) "Take a bath people!" Just glad Collectormania isn't in the height of summer.

Oh and manbeast 'Collectormania is one of the only things MK has going for it' One of the only things? or the only thing?

Don't think thats fair. do you live in MK???

Depends who you are and what you like, MK has loads going for it.

There are some good points to having it in the centre MK, like not having to go far for drinks which wont be overly expensive!

Good point. I am already saving in my piggy back for Comic con, ready to get ripped off for drinks!!!!!!!

Saturday was not nearly as bad as Sunday. I think the problem is that some stars are too big for the show. Stars as big as John should be at somewhere like LFCC or Gmex where you have to pay to get in, to put off the casual observer that just wants to gawp. I know that's not always practical because of when they're available etc, but big stars are always going to mean that the numbers are huge and unfortunately Middleton Hall just can't cope with the crowds that decend for someone big. I loved Saturday, but I absolutely hated Sunday, and I wasnt even getting any autographs, just photos.