What makes a 'big' guest

chris_mk

Apologies in advance if this post starts somewhere, meanders and ends up doing nothing constructive. Apologies also if it covers anything in the previous 9 pages (have only read 2 of them!).

What constitutes a big guest is purely subjective and based on the individual's opinion. Take for example someone like Emma Watson (or Daniel Radcliffe/Rupert Grint). If any of those were to be announced I'd guess they would qualify as a big guest (and I'd hate to be doing the queue management for any of them!) but in each case you could say they are only known for one thing/role. Yes I know they've done other things but seriously how many people could tell you what they were without looking them up on IMDB? And they are at the beginning of their careers, not well advanced like people such as the Shatner or Carrie Fisher. Can you really compare the two? Sir Ian McKellen by any criteria would be a big guest, but is he as big as Radcliffe? In some peoples eyes no, but in others he would be bigger. Let's go another way....

I know this is the Film and Comic area, but let's take the recent SportsMania event. Who would you consider the biggest guest there? Sir Henry Cooper? Frank Bruno? Sir Geoff Hurst? Billy Bonds? If you base it on numbers of autographs sold then I guess it would be Hurst (I don't know for sure, this is a guess) however for me the best day I have ever had at any of these events was the Saturday at SportsMania when I was sat with Dickie Bird - a legend and true gent - and had Bonzo the other side of me. As a Hammers fan who likes cricket the day could not have been better! To me they were bigger guests than the others, but to others they weren't.

Where has this post got us? Probably nowhere, except that I'll agree with DavidB (I think) when he said that we'll never really manage to come to a true all encompassing definition of a "big guest". I've waffled enough.......

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies in advance if this post starts somewhere, meanders and ends up doing nothing constructive. Apologies also if it covers anything in the previous 9 pages (have only read 2 of them!).

Yep!!

Yep!!

lol thanks for that - I know what I was trying to say anyway! :P

Edited by Banished_From_Rohan

I suppose that my definition of "a big guest" would be someone who is a big Hollywood actor who has been the leading man or woman in a lot of box office successful movies. Sadly, can't see any of them attending an event like Collectormania which is a shame. So, I think a big guest for Collectormania is someone who has been the leading man or lady in a highly successful TV series or two. William Shatner would certainly qualify as one.