What makes a 'big' guest

chris_mk

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all so personal and depands what you are defining as BIG.

Is BIG because they will be busy (i.e. popular)?

Is BIG because YOU really want to get their autograph?

Is BIG because they've had a long and interesting career?

Is BIG because they were part of a great film or TV show?

What is BIG to you? That's the question! And the answer is different for everyone with every guest.

If a guest is announced that you know will have a queue going on forever but you have no interest in, is that guest still BIG to YOU? If not this question will never be answered by anyone but you!

That's the point... I've been trying to identify what makes a 'big' guest, the theory being that if you find a way (via various criteria) of identifying what is classed as a very big guess and standardise it, then people know what to expect and have less cause for whinging! The criteria I've mentioned previously uses those factors you've listed.

• Showmasters Admin

That's the point... I've been trying to identify what makes a 'big' guest, the theory being that if you find a way (via various criteria) of identifying what is classed as a very big guess and standardise it, then people know what to expect and have less cause for whinging! The criteria I've mentioned previously uses those factors you've listed.

Indeed but my point is that different people will weight different criteria differently and score them differently too.

What I mean is. For me I only get autographs from specific shows. So for me I'd weight the show very highly, but their "star-ness" very low. i.e. For me Kirk Russell wouldn't be a big announcement as he's not in something I collect autographs for. But for someone like Nicky who goes for film stars then Kirk would be a huge guest.

My point is, on the scale you could say X is BIG, but it's like beauty, it's in the eye on the beholder. What's BIG on the scale may still be a BIG dispointment to someone else. Someone waiting for Buffy or LOTR guests isn't going to care Tom Cruise is accounced. To them that's still a disappointing guest as THEY don't want them.

I agree with TT - given the choice between, saym Gwyneth Paltrow and Gina Torres, I'd pick Gina. Given the choice between Nicole Kidman and Alyson Hannigan, I'd pick Alyson.

I'm fully aware I'd be in the minority, but that's where my interests are.

• Showmasters Admin

I agree with TT - given the choice between, saym Gwyneth Paltrow and Gina Torres, I'd pick Gina. Given the choice between Nicole Kidman and Alyson Hannigan, I'd pick Alyson.

Trust me I'm with you 100%. I collect Buffy and Firefly autographs.

Gina is the last main cast member I need for Firefly. So for me she would be one of the biggest announcement EVER.

And Alyson is well up there too. Along with SMG, Seth Green, David B (not that one).

Nicky - Don't know where that Kirk came from :D

Indeed but my point is that different people will weight different criteria differently and score them differently too.

What I mean is. For me I only get autographs from specific shows. So for me I'd weight the show very highly, but their "star-ness" very low. i.e. For me Kirk Russell wouldn't be a big announcement as he's not in something I collect autographs for. But for someone like Nicky who goes for film stars then Kirk would be a huge guest.

My point is, on the scale you could say X is BIG, but it's like beauty, it's in the eye on the beholder. What's BIG on the scale may still be a BIG dispointment to someone else. Someone waiting for Buffy or LOTR guests isn't going to care Tom Cruise is accounced. To them that's still a disappointing guest as THEY don't want them.

So you don't think fans can be objective when it comes to specific criteria? Is that the problem with all the 'debate' around announcements, is it that fans can't differentiate between what LOTS of people think is good and what THEY want?

Dude, it's not about choice.... it's about which is the bigger guest (and not who is the better guest for you!)

Do you (hand on heart) believe that Gina would be a 'bigger' guest than Gwyneth?

^^

Isnt the term 'bigger' being debated here. Obviously to them the 'bigger guest' is gina, to you it isnt. Everyone has different opinions and tastes.

this thread seems slightly repetitive.

Edited by mousybrown

^^

Isnt the term 'bigger' being debated here. Obviously to them the 'bigger guest' is gina, to you it isnt. Everyone has different opinions and tastes.

this thread seems slightly repetitive.

That's the point... the definition of a 'big guest' should have nothing to do with taste and very little to do with opinion.

It's getting repetitive, because people aren't reading it and can't seem to get beyond the fact that not everything revolves around them and THEIR taste.

I didn't want to meet John Barrowman this weekend, I'm not a Torchwood fan and I don't collect Doctor Who.... but I understand that he is a BIG guest (by the original criteria he scores high in box office - he's in several big UK shows, he is highly relevant - being on TV pretty much every day last week, he has a large fan base of TW and DW fans, he's reasnoably rare and very considerate of his fans)

And I thought a weekend away might've killed this topic off pfft :o

...and yet you're still reading it and posting in it....

Im sorry for stating my opinion that its about 'taste'.

From now on i will shut up and just listen to what you have to say.

This topic feels really pointless because there is no answer.

Edited by mousybrown

It's pretty much what I do on here - I have to read things.

And yes, I posted something lighthearted. I do apologise.

lighthearted....antagonistic... it's a very fine line...

++edit++

hang on, why do you HAVE to read everything? As far as I can see, you're not a moderator on this part of the forum? Am I wrong?

Why isn't there an answer? :D

Why can't people be educated to see the bigger picture and understand it's not solely about THEIR taste and THEIR opinion?

Edited by chris_mk

• Moderators

hang on, why do you HAVE to read everything? As far as I can see, you're not a moderator on this part of the forum? Am I wrong?

'Rights' in a section doesn't mean the rest of us don't read around the forum and check things etc. All of us do - it's why we have a moderator forum, to link to other parts that need sorting out etc.

There's no way we just leave a section to a couple of people. So I'm afraid even if it p!sses you off, I'm simply helping out by reading things.

And if I was being deliberately 'antagonistic' I would've said something to you at the weekend - which I didn't - so perhaps your opinion of me is wrong and I don't actually just say things to annoy you. At least other people can see that.

Why isn't there an answer? :(

Why can't people be educated to see the bigger picture and understand it's not solely about THEIR taste and THEIR opinion?

I feel like your being slightly rude to me.

Arnt you by answering all the time just giving YOUR opinion on it, does that mean that YOU can't see the bigger picture. People can think what they like, they dont need you to tell them what to think about whats big.

Maybe you need to be educated in letting others think what they like.

Edited by mousybrown