What makes a 'big' guest

chris_mk

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I'm going back two pages here, but I would be stunned senseless if more people knew RDA than Kurt Russell. I'd never heard of him before Stargate, and I didn't know the name of the actor himself (i.e. not O'Neill) until last year. Kurt has been a household name since childhood.

And if I was being deliberately 'antagonistic' I would've said something to you at the weekend - which I didn't - so perhaps your opinion of me is wrong and I don't actually just say things to annoy you. At least other people can see that.

I don't think you post deliberately to annoy me, I think the style in which you post antagonises quite a lot of people (either accidentally or deliberately, I don't know which.)

As for saying something at the weekend (which I don't see as remotely relevant in this context).... well I noticed you too and I saw that you're actually quite shy and I would put money on the fact that you don't like any sort of confrontation.... so the fact you didn't say anything to me has very little to do with not wanting to antagonise.

Im sorry for stating my opinion that its about 'taste'.

From now on i will shut up and just listen to what you have to say.

This topic feels really pointless because there is no answer.

Why isn't there an answer? :whistling:

Why can't people be educated to see the bigger picture and understand it's not solely about THEIR taste and THEIR opinion?

I feel like your being slightly rude to me.

Arnt you by answering all the time just giving YOUR opinion on it, does that mean that YOU can't see the bigger picture. People can think what they like, they dont need you to tell them what to think about whats big.

Maybe you need to be educated in letting others think what they like.

I've no idea why you would think that, I'm just discussing the points you raised with you.

I CAN see the bigger picture!! Did you see the post I made about John Barrowman... Big guest, not to my taste, didn't want to meet him. That is me seeing the bigger picture.

I'm not suggesting that people SHOULDN'T have taste or preferences... I'm saying that when it comes to differentiating between a big guest and a supporting guests, preferences should not come into it.

As for me not needing to tell them what 'big' is... well someone needs to, to stop them bitching everytime a guest like Bill Nighy or John Hurt is announced, because it's not who they wanted and they don;t think they're worth the hype!!

Sorry, I'm going back two pages here, but I would be stunned senseless if more people knew RDA than Kurt Russell. I'd never heard of him before Stargate, and I didn't know the name of the actor himself (i.e. not O'Neill) until last year. Kurt has been a household name since childhood.

Prior to Stargate, he was in McGyver, which people of a certain age will remember, but isn't on TV very much anymore (laregely because it's dated quite badly).

Stargate has run for 10 years, shown globally to millions and millions of people on a weekly basis. I would think a lot more people have seen RDA on screen, than they have Kurt, simply because there's a lot more material of him available.

Stargate has run for 10 years, shown globally to millions and millions of people on a weekly basis. I would think a lot more people have seen RDA on screen, than they have Kurt, simply because there's a lot more material of him available.
A lot more available material? "Stargate SG1" is the only show of his since "MacGayver" that does anything and people have forgotten "MacGyver" existed! And the only people watch "Stargate SG1" and recognise RDA's face are the fans, surly? The general public dont know who RDA is, only "SG1" viewers whereas KR has been in films across the board shown all over the world. I still say ask your grandparents/work colleagues who RDA or KR are and more are likely to know who KR is.

As for me not needing to tell them what 'big' is... well someone needs to, to stop them bitching everytime a guest like Bill Nighy or John Hurt is announced
Someone needs to? Nobody asked for that!! People are gonna "bitch" about it regardless of this thread cos it' will eventually die. Were you expecting this topic to be pinned?

The fact is if kids havent heard of John Hurt etc then he isn't gonna be "big", no matter what it is he's done - that's just the way minds work. If kids havent heard of him or aren't familair with his work then he'll mean nothing to them. Even though he is "big" (as far as the general public and media go) it won't mean poop to the kids cos there's nothing in it for them. They probably thought John Hurt was "some old dude in movies before I was born and is now in this new thing called Indiana Jones about another old dude with a whip".

• Moderators

I don't think you post deliberately to annoy me, I think the style in which you post antagonises quite a lot of people (either accidentally or deliberately, I don't know which.)

As for saying something at the weekend (which I don't see as remotely relevant in this context).... well I noticed you too and I saw that you're actually quite shy and I would put money on the fact that you don't like any sort of confrontation.... so the fact you didn't say anything to me has very little to do with not wanting to antagonise.

Sorry to keep this going, but actually it does - I think you'll find I've talked to the majority of people I've had discussions with on here at events etc, and had no problem with them. Mainly because most haven't been personal about it so I know there's no chance of any arguments etc in person. I may not agree with what Nicky has to say half the time, but I'll say hi etc when he's around and I have a chance. I genuinely have no real issue with most. I'd say there's only really a couple of people I can think of that I'd never say a word to because they just get so personal that I have no time for them.

You're right - I don't like confrontation, not in a personal context anyway. What I post (opinions etc) is never deliberately antagonistic nor personal - if I disagree with you, that's just all it is really .. not because it is you, but just because I've disagreed with what you've said. It happens on a public forum.

So that's what it basically comes down to - I wasn't going to be all like "hey Chris, any BIG guests here?!" etc because I'm not out to p!ss you off basically :thumbup: and hopefully discussions can happen without them sinking to a personal level, as I feel it's totally unnecessary.

I don't particularly think you're a bad guy (not that you'd care what I think) but it's easier for things to get crazy on here.

A lot more available material? "Stargate SG1" is the only show of his since "MacGayver" that does anything and people have forgotten "MacGyver" existed! And the only people watch "Stargate SG1" and recognise RDA's face are the fans, surly? The general public dont know who RDA is, only "SG1" viewers whereas KR has been in films across the board shown all over the world. I still say ask your grandparents/work colleagues who RDA or KR are and more are likely to know who KR is.

Yeah, but there are 8 seasons of him at 22 episodes a season, that's 132 hours of material in the last 10/11 years! That's roughly the equivalent of 88 films! Has Kurt made 88 films in the last 10 years?

I don't agree that only SG fans would recognise him. Anyone who watches the show would! I don't consider myself to be a Stargate fan by any stretch of my imagination.

My Grandparent would have no idea who either of them were (but then she barely knows sho she is B) ) My Mum is a big Stargate fan and my workmates recognise both names.

As for me not needing to tell them what 'big' is... well someone needs to, to stop them bitching everytime a guest like Bill Nighy or John Hurt is announced
Someone needs to? Nobody asked for that!! People are gonna "bitch" about it regardless of this thread cos it' will eventually die. Were you expecting this topic to be pinned?

The fact is if kids havent heard of John Hurt etc then he isn't gonna be "big", no matter what it is he's done - that's just the way minds work. If kids havent heard of him or aren't familair with his work then he'll mean nothing to them. Even though he is "big" (as far as the general public and media go) it won't mean poop to the kids cos there's nothing in it for them. They probably thought John Hurt was "some old dude in movies before I was born and is now in this new thing called Indiana Jones about another old dude with a whip".

Yes, someone needs to, because the bitching in those threads is negative, destructive and yet depressingly predictable. No, I'm not expecting this to be pinned, what I was hoping for was some interesting and challenging debate about the definition of a big guest. What i got... wasn't.

If Showmasters advertise an impending 'big' announcement, then I thought it might help if the term 'big' was defined, so that anyone complaining that the guest wasn't big, could be directed to a number of criteria explaining why the guest was considered 'big'. That would then (hopefully) be the end of the matter.

Evidently some people can't get past the fact that if 'there's nothing in it for them', then the guest is not 'big'... which quite frankly is depressing, because I always though Sci Fi fans were among the most considerate... oh well, shows what I know!

Sorry to keep this going, but actually it does - I think you'll find I've talked to the majority of people I've had discussions with on here at events etc, and had no problem with them. Mainly because most haven't been personal about it so I know there's no chance of any arguments etc in person. I may not agree with what Nicky has to say half the time, but I'll say hi etc when he's around and I have a chance. I genuinely have no real issue with most. I'd say there's only really a couple of people I can think of that I'd never say a word to because they just get so personal that I have no time for them.

You're right - I don't like confrontation, not in a personal context anyway. What I post (opinions etc) is never deliberately antagonistic nor personal - if I disagree with you, that's just all it is really .. not because it is you, but just because I've disagreed with what you've said. It happens on a public forum.

So that's what it basically comes down to - I wasn't going to be all like "hey Chris, any BIG guests here?!" etc because I'm not out to p!ss you off basically :thumbup: and hopefully discussions can happen without them sinking to a personal level, as I feel it's totally unnecessary.

I don't particularly think you're a bad guy (not that you'd care what I think) but it's easier for things to get crazy on here.

Firstly, I don't for a second believe you've talked to 'the majority of people you've had discussions with on here', because with getting on for 80,000 posts, there is no way you even know WHO you've had discussions with (unless you're keeping a log).

I find your posts antagonistic at times. That is my personal opinion. It is not a unique personal opinion, it's one shared by people that I speak to away from this forum (yes, I talk to people away from here too). The reasons we find some of your posts antagonistic are because firstly, you just post the corprotrate line on matters, regardless of what has been said and regardless of the validity of the posts. Secondly, we find your posts negative, you're not a fan of change. Thirdly, we find that you de-rail conversations with little 'quips' that you evidently find amusing (I don't know whether you do it to try and lighten a conversation, but some people are capable of having a heated debate WITHOUT flaming everyone in sight and get frustrated at the asides.)

Yeah, but there are 8 seasons of him at 22 episodes a season, that's 132 hours of material in the last 10/11 years! That's roughly the equivalent of 88 films! Has Kurt made 88 films in the last 10 years?

Yes, but that's 8 seasons/132 hrs of the same goddamn show...and not even shown all over the world. Dot Cotton has been in EastEnders since 1985 but that doesnt make her bigger that KR either! Plus it's the same old audience watching: SG1 viewers in general (nevermind fans) whereas new audiences can watch KR movies cos they dont have to watch an earlier "episode" to catch the whole story. Lots of people may have watched SG1 and seen RDA at some point but surly those people would also know SG1 came from a movie, Stargate (1994) with KR in?

I don't agree that only SG fans would recognise him. Anyone who watches the show would! I don't consider myself to be a Stargate fan by any stretch of my imagination.
I didnt say SG1 fans (people who will follow the show) would recognise him, I said only SG1 viewers (people who just casually watch the show) would recognise him...I mean RDA is hardly in the news - you just dont hear about him nor does he have a famous gf and step-daughter or celebrated director-friend and he isn't so well known that he has presented awards at the Oscars. My work colleagues/friends dont know who RDA is.

Sorry to keep this one going. I'll try to make this one my last post on the RDA/KR thing.

Edited by nicky

• Moderators

Firstly, I don't for a second believe you've talked to 'the majority of people you've had discussions with on here', because with getting on for 80,000 posts, there is no way you even know WHO you've had discussions with (unless you're keeping a log).

I find your posts antagonistic at times. That is my personal opinion. It is not a unique personal opinion, it's one shared by people that I speak to away from this forum (yes, I talk to people away from here too). The reasons we find some of your posts antagonistic are because firstly, you just post the corprotrate line on matters, regardless of what has been said and regardless of the validity of the posts. Secondly, we find your posts negative, you're not a fan of change. Thirdly, we find that you de-rail conversations with little 'quips' that you evidently find amusing (I don't know whether you do it to try and lighten a conversation, but some people are capable of having a heated debate WITHOUT flaming everyone in sight and get frustrated at the asides.)

Okey dokey, well that's fair enough. You can believe what you wanna believe but I'm very familiar with a lot of people that I've talked to on here, both ones I've got on with and those I haven't particularly agreed with. I think I'd have a lot more knowledge [of who I know than what you personally assume.

And you can take my posts in whichever way you choose to take them. What you have to understand is that there is no 'corporate line' - I don't post what I do because Showmasters tell me to, I post it because it's what I believe. They couldn't care less what I post. In fact I probably cause MORE trouble for them by posting what I do, so that doesn't quite fit logically. And no, I don't consider stopping it because it all blows over eventually.

I find it funny that it's my posts that are accused of being negative considering half the stuff that gets posted on here. You perhaps mistake my realistic attitude to these events as being negative. So many people have unrealistic demands etc. I'm not opposed to change in the slightest, but a lot of the times it's just not possible in the ways people want.

In the end, I don't particularly care what you think of me. However, if you're going to suggest some people are capable of discussing without flaming then I'd expect you to be slightly less personal whenever I post. I've already fully explained myself and that simply doesn't seem good enough for you, even if I'm now trying to be perfectly reasonable.

Clearly your opinion of me won't change, so we'll just have to be how we are.

Yes, but that's 8 seasons/132 hrs of the same goddamn show...and not even shown all over the world. Dot Cotton has been in EastEnders since 1985 but that doesnt make her bigger that KR either! Plus it's the same old audience watching: SG1 viewers in general (nevermind fans) whereas new audiences can watch KR movies cos they dont have to watch an earlier "episode" to catch the whole story. Lots of people may have watched SG1 and seen RDA at some point but surly those people would also know SG1 came from a movie, Stargate (1994) with KR in?

The general UK public will recognise the actress who plays Dot Cotton over either RDA OR Kurt Russell. At it's peak, 20m viewers have seen her on TV at one go.... means that probably half the UK population would recogise her. I doubt half the population have seen either Stargate OR a Kurt Russell film (The last Kurt Russell film I remember seeing was Sky High, which wasn't box office gold - despite being quite a cool film). Stargate (Tv series) is shown in as many countries as any Kurt Russell films. I don't actually think that all viewers know that Stargate was a film first! (Though all fans would.) As for having to watch previous episodes first, well that's not true, a lot of Stargate episodes are stand alone.

I didnt say SG1 fans (people who will follow the show) would recognise him, I said only SG1 viewers (people who just casually watch the show) would recognise him...I mean RDA is hardly in the news - you just dont hear about him nor does he have a famous gf and step-daughter or celebrated director-friend and he isn't so well known that he has presented awards at the Oscars. My work colleagues/friends dont know who RDA is.

Sorry to keep this one going. I'll try to make this one my last post on the RDA/KR thing.

No, you really did say Stargate fans, not viewers... I double checked and it's right there!! As for teh news, well Kurt hasn't made any big films in years, his step-daughter isn't doing great (though better than him) and I have no idea who his 'celebrated director-friend' is!!

When was the last time Kurt presented an award at the Oscars?

Okey dokey, well that's fair enough. You can believe what you wanna believe but I'm very familiar with a lot of people that I've talked to on here, both ones I've got on with and those I haven't particularly agreed with. I think I'd have a lot more knowledge [of who I know than what you personally assume.

And you can take my posts in whichever way you choose to take them. What you have to understand is that there is no 'corporate line' - I don't post what I do because Showmasters tell me to, I post it because it's what I believe. They couldn't care less what I post. In fact I probably cause MORE trouble for them by posting what I do, so that doesn't quite fit logically. And no, I don't consider stopping it because it all blows over eventually.

I find it funny that it's my posts that are accused of being negative considering half the stuff that gets posted on here. You perhaps mistake my realistic attitude to these events as being negative. So many people have unrealistic demands etc. I'm not opposed to change in the slightest, but a lot of the times it's just not possible in the ways people want.

In the end, I don't particularly care what you think of me. However, if you're going to suggest some people are capable of discussing without flaming then I'd expect you to be slightly less personal whenever I post. I've already fully explained myself and that simply doesn't seem good enough for you, even if I'm now trying to be perfectly reasonable.

Clearly your opinion of me won't change, so we'll just have to be how we are.

Ahh... now 'a lot' is more likely to be accurate... 50 to 100 people is a lot... but significantly less than the many hundreds you must have spoken to on here.

I haven't said that Showmasters tell you what to post. I am under no illusion that you're under their thumb. I'm sure your blind defence of nearly everything SM is down to loyalty and little else. It's still very biased.

Whilst some suggestions are undoubtedly unworkable, there are many that are based on a core idea or principle that is work exploring... yet everything gets shot down by people who like the status quo.

As for flaming, well I don't feel I've been overly personal. I'm not aware of having insulted you, just explained why I feel your posts are often antagonistic.

No, you really did say Stargate fans, not viewers... I double checked and it's right there!! As for teh news, well Kurt hasn't made any big films in years, his step-daughter isn't doing great (though better than him) and I have no idea who his 'celebrated director-friend' is!!

Sorry, I meant this part:

The general public dont know who RDA is, only "SG1" viewers

Anyway Poseiden was meant to be a big summer movie in 2006 as was Death Proof (2007) but they are still films we've heard of and dont forget he was the lead in the all-star cast of Tombstone (1993) - I cant see RDA leading that cast. His celebrated director-pal is the legendary horror master John Carpenter who KR has teamed-up with on 5 films. KR presented at the Oscars Best Director in 1989 and Best Editing in 1996 - obviously The Academy arent going to get any old actor to present awards, esp Best Director, so they'll get someone the general public recognise, ie KR. He has since appered on talk-shows such as Ellen Degeneres, David Letterman and Jay Leno and Jimmy Kimmel regularly.

Edited by nicky

Anyway Poseiden was meant to be a big summer movie in 2006 as was Death Proof (2007) but they are still films we've heard of. His celebrated director-pal is the legendary horror master John Carpenter who KR has teamed-up with on 5 films. KR presented at the Oscars Best Director in 1989 and Best Editing in 1996 - obviously The Academy arent going to get any old actor to present awards, esp Best Director, so they'll get someone the general public recognise, ie KR. He has since appered on talk-shows such as Ellen Degeneres, Letterman and Jay Leno and Jimmy Kimmel.

But they weren't..... I wasn't aware of his friendship with John Carpenter (and I don't think it's public knowledge if you're NOT a film buff!)

So the Acadamy considered him a big thing nearly 20 years ago.... and 12 years ago he had been relegated to Best Editing.... You've used this to show what a big star he is, but what it says to me is what a big star he was... Do you not agree that star power can fade over time?

As for talk shows, well they are on so often that EVERYONE appears on them sooner or later! Most of those shows aren't even shown in the UK!

You've used this to show what a big star he is, but what it says to me is what a big star he was... Do you not agree that star power can fade over time?

That's true but people always remember movie stars, look at the stars of the 50s - they're dead but still remebered cos they made a big impact and films are immortal compared to TV. RDA has been confined to TV and never "reached out". Dont forget KR was the lead in the all-star cast of Tombstone (1993) - I cant see RDA leading that cast.

Edited by nicky

Anyway Poseiden was meant to be a big summer movie in 2006 as was Death Proof (2007) but they are still films we've heard of. His celebrated director-pal is the legendary horror master John Carpenter who KR has teamed-up with on 5 films. KR presented at the Oscars Best Director in 1989 and Best Editing in 1996 - obviously The Academy arent going to get any old actor to present awards, esp Best Director, so they'll get someone the general public recognise, ie KR. He has since appered on talk-shows such as Ellen Degeneres, Letterman and Jay Leno and Jimmy Kimmel.

But they weren't..... I wasn't aware of his friendship with John Carpenter (and I don't think it's public knowledge if you're NOT a film buff!)

So the Acadamy considered him a big thing nearly 20 years ago.... and 12 years ago he had been relegated to Best Editing.... You've used this to show what a big star he is, but what it says to me is what a big star he was... Do you not agree that star power can fade over time?

As for talk shows, well they are on so often that EVERYONE appears on them sooner or later! Most of those shows aren't even shown in the UK!

Chris, I'm sorry, but you're going to have to put a stop to this drivel. I've got a lot of time for RDA, I really do - loved McGyver, loved SG-1. I've got an autograph from him and Amanda Tapping. But saying he's a bigger star than Kurt Russell? It's nonsense mate. I'm sorry, but you need to come back down to planet Earth.

You're talking about one of the first families of Hollywood. Kurt Russell, Goldie Hawn, and Kate Hudson?? They are a million times more famous than RDA. You must be joking. Kate Hudson is more famous than RDA, let alone her father.

It's crazy talk Chris - you're embarrassing yourself.

Chris, I'm sorry, but you're going to have to put a stop to this. I've got a lot of time for RDA, I really do - loved McGyver, loved SG-1. I've got an autograph from him and Amanda Tapping. But saying he's a bigger star than Kurt Russell? It's nonsense mate. I'm sorry, but you need to come back to planet Earth.

You're talking about one of the first families of Hollywood. Kurt Russell, Goldie Hawn, and Kate Hudson?? They are a million times more famous than RDA. You must be joking.

It's crazy talk Chris - you're embarrasing yourself.

Sorry, but I'm saying that RDA is more recognisable and better know at the moment than Kurt Russell. What big films has he actually done in the last 10 years (big as in successful)? I'm curious as to how many films he has been in that have grossed over $100M!

I'm not saying he's not a film legend, I just think his appeal has been mainly 'cult'

++edit++ I can spot two $100M+ films, Vanilla Sky (which I don't even remember him being in) and Forrest Gump (which he was not credited for)

You've used this to show what a big star he is, but what it says to me is what a big star he was... Do you not agree that star power can fade over time?

That's true but people always remember movie stars, look at the stars of the 50s - they're dead but still remebered cos they made a big impact and films are immortal compared to TV. RDA has been confined to TV and never "reached out". Dont forget KR was the lead in the all-star cast of Tombstone (1993) - I cant see RDA leading that cast.

Film has been around longer than TV. Do you seriously believe there are no TV legends who will be remembered long after they pass away? Why do you think Movie Stars are heading for TV these days?

Tombstone took around $50M dollars, which, whilst not being a flop, was not exactly a roaring sucess either (opening weekend was under $7M)

Film has been around longer than TV. Do you seriously believe there are no TV legends who will be remembered long after they pass away? Why do you think Movie Stars are heading for TV these days?

Tombstone took around $50M dollars, which, whilst not being a flop, was not exactly a roaring sucess either (opening weekend was under $7M)

I think there are more film stars that will be remmebered than TV ones. Film stars are heading for TV cos TV is getting better and it suits while waiting for movie offers as doing a series is a steadier job than doing a one-off movie.

The fact Tombstone didnt make that much money isn't really relevant - Waterworld, Cut-throat Island and Wild Wild West were all MASSIVE films but flopped. It also doesnt change that Tombstone was an all-star cast that KR led - I doubt RDA even now has the star-power to carry them all under his name, the point is the studio needed a powerful leading man to carry the film which is what KR was. I also can't imagine Tarantino choosing RDA to take the lead in his latest film, flop or not either.

Edited by nicky

I think there are more film stars that will be remmebered than TV ones. Film stars are heading for TV cos TV is getting better and it suits while waiting for movie offers as doing a series is a steadier job than doing a one-off movie.

The fact Tombstone didnt make that much money isn't really relevant - Waterworld, Cut-throat Island and Wild Wild West were all MASSIVE films but flopped. It also doesnt change that Tombstone was an all-star cast that KR led - I doubt RDA even now has the star-power to carry them all under his name, the point is the studio needed a powerful leading man to carry the film which is what KR was. I also can't imagine Tarantino choosing RDA to take the lead in his latest film, flop or not either.

Is your definition of a 'massive' film, one that costs a lot of money?

I would dispute the 'all star cast' part as well. I would concede that it was decent ensemble cast, but none of the actors were particularly huge.

Perhaps in 5-10 years time, the RDA star appeal will have faded again, perhaps film stars take a lot longer to fade than TV ones?

It doesn't matter how many seasons and how many episodes there are. If you don't watch one episode you're not likely to watch any other episode either. You either watch it or you don't. It's not like everyone in the world is going to watch one episode each - it doesn't work that way. Whereas Kurt Russell has been in lots of different things. No matter how many episodes of Stargate there are, it's still the same show! Someone who watches one or two episodes isn't likely to recognise "Richard Dean Anderson", they're possible to recognise "is that that guy in that weird sci-fi show?" if they concentrate.

Stargate fans will recognise him. People who have a general knowledge of the sci-fi genre will recognise him - that's not a large proportion of people. Of those who do recognise RDA, significantly more will recognise him by sight but not by name. Kurt Russell spreads beyond just the one genre, and it's a name that will instantly recall the face.

I also checked, and in the last year there were four times more Google searches for Kurt Russell, and he has 2.5 million results on Google. RDA has 900 thousand. Surely that is also an indicator of relevancy.

Edited by Psychosis

Is your definition of a 'massive' film, one that costs a lot of money?
Yes, I do think an expensive film can be a massive one too but sometimes its not always about cash. Eg. The Blair Witch Project (1999) was made for peanuts but the returns were massive for a film of such a small scale whereas Kingdon of Heaven (2006) was a large scale production but failed to be a big money-maker. The Blair Witch Project wasn't a big film but it was a big-hit.

Personally I'd say a big film is one that is high profile in terms of cast/crew and budget.

Edited by nicky

Chris, I'm sorry, but you're going to have to put a stop to this. I've got a lot of time for RDA, I really do - loved McGyver, loved SG-1. I've got an autograph from him and Amanda Tapping. But saying he's a bigger star than Kurt Russell? It's nonsense mate. I'm sorry, but you need to come back to planet Earth.

You're talking about one of the first families of Hollywood. Kurt Russell, Goldie Hawn, and Kate Hudson?? They are a million times more famous than RDA. You must be joking.

It's crazy talk Chris - you're embarrasing yourself.

Sorry, but I'm saying that RDA is more recognisable and better know at the moment than Kurt Russell. What big films has he actually done in the last 10 years (big as in successful)? I'm curious as to how many films he has been in that have grossed over $100M!

I'm not saying he's not a film legend, I just think his appeal has been mainly 'cult'

++edit++ I can spot two $100M+ films, Vanilla Sky (which I don't even remember him being in) and Forrest Gump (which he was not credited for)

Tell you what Chris. You go out, on an average day in London, and take a poll. 1000 people. all walks of life. Women and Men. Kids too. And show them 2 8 x 10s. 1 of Kurt Russell. 1 of RDA. And then tally up how many recognize each of them. And I'll bet you a year's salary that KR will be recognized by 10 times as many people as RDA is.

You've got to understand that, while RDA is a relatively big star in the TV world, in general terms, he's not that big even then. You want a big, recognizable TV star, try Keifer Sutherland. Or Teri Hatcher. or Sarah Jessica Parker. RDA, like it or not, is niche compared to them. And comparing him to Kurt Russell makes no sense. It's like comparing Pete Doherty to Bruce Springsteen. There's a whole world out there where people have never even heard of Stargate SG-1.

As for the $100m + issue, regarding recent films (which I think you are), you're right about Vanilla Sky (although if you can't remember him being in it, there's something wrong)... but in fairness that film was opened by Tom Cruise. However, Sky High took around $100m, and Posiedon took nearly twice that - both led by Russell - and that's not even counting the secondary market (i.e. DVD and TV licensing). The biggest film ever led by RDA, Stargate : Continuum, will count itself a success if it takes $25m on the secondary market.

Edited by MikeDonovan

What a couple of lads boasting about the size of their “celebrities.â€

As for the title of this thread you cannot answer, as it is clearly subjective. An absolute cinematic legend (who started on stage went to tele and then film but who will not be known to 90% of the forum users) once said in his film:

1) “Subjectivity is objectiveâ€.

2) “Not in a rational scheme of perceptionâ€.

1) “Perception is irrational. It implies imminenceâ€.

2) “But judgment of any system of phenomena exists in any rational, metaphysical or epistemological contradiction to an abstracted empirical concept such as being, or to be, or to occur in the thing itself, or of the thing itselfâ€.

I think that clears that up.

For the record - I would prefer to meet KR but RDA would have the bigger queue – damn I am getting all Freudian now!!

Edited by Noddy

An absolute cinematic legend.. who will not be known to 90% of the forum users

I certainly wouldn't bother talking to anyone about film who didn't know who he is. He's not always on form, but if you haven't seen at least 3 of his films, you've got no business talking about the medium - IMHO of course :D

What a couple of lads boasting about the size of their “celebrities.â€

For the record - I would prefer to meet KR but RDA would have the bigger queue

Who's boasting? "Lads"? Yes, I am a young-ish bloke. We're sharing views, wieghing criteria and discussing but you're welcome to join in too about who you think will have a bnigger queue. I dunno if RDA would have a bigger queue, if that's the case then I'm guessing cos SG1 is bigger at cons and has a big following cos it's an on-going thing and RDA is specified to that one show even though I think more members of the genreal public would recognise KR cos of different things across the board. We have to acknowledge that it's mostly sf fans that attend cons and not the general public and that is why I also think Pat Stewart could be a more popular guest than John Hurt - cos he's more important to fandom.

BTW, I'm not speaking like this cos I'm a KR fan, I'm speaking like this cos I recognise his "big" status and I think film stars are bigger than TV ones so it didnt have to be KR. If it was another star of similar caibre I'd think the same./

Edited by nicky