Profiteering from Autographica

shishmahal

Much has been said about some of the fees, particularly that for Dave Scott.

Why shouldn't he charge £95? He reads these postings the same as everybody else, just as he views online auctions. Before the ink was hardly dry, items signed by Scott and McDivitt appeared on an online auction called Astroauction. I can't believe there are people out there who are so insensitive as to attempt to blatantly make a profit so quickly from the good will of our hereos.

Edited by shishmahal

I think too some extent this is the nature of beast. Not all collectors can attend a convention so some people will always exploit this situation to turn a quick profit; it's simple market forces. I suffer from this like the rest in that to a degree it inflates the cost of an autograph, though again this could be seen to reflect the true market rate.

I've never sold an autograph I've obtained as for me it tells a story of how I came to meet that person, it has some personal value. For others, including showmasters this is a way of making a living and I respect that.

Much has been said about some of the fees, particularly that for Dave Scott.

Why shouldn't he charge £95? He reads these postings the same as everybody else, just as he views online auctions. Before the ink was hardly dry, items signed by Scott and McDivitt appeared on an online auction called Astroauction. I can't believe there are people out there who are so insensitive as to attempt to blatantly make a profit so quickly from the good will of our hereos.

What items are you referring to?

I agree with Mekon and I would add, when we were having our Jim McDivitt entries signed in our books some one in front of us had about 20+ things for signing, posters and the like in a big case. He not only took a age but would not shift when he was done and hugged the table. All we wanted was one autograph, this idiot spoilt it for us, he was defently a trader and not a real space enthusiast. He seem ignorant as well but thats another thing.

Why not have a hour-or-so set by for traders and people wanting more than three things signing and allow real enthusiasts there time to get there autograph, handshake and chat over with? It would speed things up.

Regards all

von Dawson's Express

I think too some extent this is the nature of beast. Not all collectors can attend a convention so some people will always exploit this situation to turn a quick profit; it's simple market forces. I suffer from this like the rest in that to a degree it inflates the cost of an autograph, though again this could be seen to reflect the true market rate.

I've never sold an autograph I've obtained as for me it tells a story of how I came to meet that person, it has some personal value. For others, including showmasters this is a way of making a living and I respect that.

I

Why not have a hour-or-so set by for traders and people wanting more than three things signing and allow real enthusiasts there time to get there autograph, handshake and chat over with? It would speed things up.

Regards all

von Dawson's Express

I absolutely agree with this sentiment. Many a time I have stood behind a guy in a queue who is dragging a trolly behind him. All the time, the excitement of the soon to happen meeting with the astronaut / cosmonaut is tempered by wondering how long this guy is going to take to get his complete box of tricks signed.

Then there are the inevitable photographs with the personality. This slows down things as well.

So yes, have a time for dealers and also if you want a photo with the astronaut, go and pay the fee for the professional photoshoot.

Before the ink was hardly dry, items signed by Scott and McDivitt appeared on an online auction called Astroauction. I can't believe there are people out there who are so insensitive as to attempt to blatantly make a profit so quickly from the good will of our hereos.

Whilst I've never done it myself, I don't think there's always anything wrong in selling autographs for profit. If I spent £40 to get to an event, and bought 5 £10 autographs and sold 4 at £20 each, I'd still only break even keeping 1 for myself. But it might allow me to attend another event. There's nothing wrong with getting your hobbies to pay their own way!

I think the reason I don't do it I'd never be sure bits would sell for more than I paid for them!

insensitive as to attempt to blatantly make a profit so quickly from the good will of our hereos.

Whilst I've never done it myself, I don't think there's always anything wrong in selling autographs for profit.

Fine, but let's not have any complaints from anybody about the high prices astronauts charge. They know there are people like you around who want to make a profit out of them !!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I think anyone who pays £95 for a signature which takes seconds to write is absolutely off their heads. And as far as people selling on ebay goes...its their property. They own it. They can do what they like with it, and if people are willing to pay silly prices over the internet, let them do it.

All businessmen people. These astronauts, infact any guest who comes to any of these shows are making wise business decisions, as are Showmasters. The name of the game is to make money.

I think anyone who pays £95 for a signature which takes seconds to write is absolutely off their heads. And as far as people selling on ebay goes...its their property. They own it. They can do what they like with it, and if people are willing to pay silly prices over the internet, let them do it.

All businessmen people. These astronauts, infact any guest who comes to any of these shows are making wise business decisions, as are Showmasters. The name of the game is to make money.

I totally agree. As soon as you've bought an autograph, it becomes your property so if you want to sell it... your entitled to.

• 3 weeks later...

i personally dont see the point in spending 95 quid on an autorgraph i think the whole point is meeting them and chatting to the guest and the autograph is more a mermory of that person i ve never sold my autographs and all mine i ve gotten myself

and any way how do you know there are real :o