Liverpool players please

jonathan

We keep getting legends from all the London based teams like Arsenal, Spurs and West Ham how about some Liverpool legends other than Roger Hunt.

This would make the event even more worthwhile for me!

Thanks

Have to agree, aside from one or two exceptions (I know Denis Law and Peter Shilton before I get shouted at!), this event seems to have a very heavy London club focus. Thinking back the last one was pretty heavily inclined towards London as well. It perhaps wouldn't be so noticeable if the 66 team were attending for the whole weekend but with most of them there only for a reduced amount of time, it does highlight the lack of variety available.

I'm not trying to reignite the whole legends are legends no matter what club they played for row, but it would be nice to see a bit more of a spread of teams being represented.

i think it's more to do with the agency rather than particular clubs as you tend to see the same names at these type of events.

As a spurs fan then it works out really well but I can see how others miss out.

I believe that another show had Rush, Aldridge etc a few times and I remember chatting to Jan Molby at one event so they do shows occasionally.

It'd be good to see some "proper" legends - Cruyf, Pele, Eusabio etc

I think that is probably true, I guess the agent that gets the guests for this show is set up with a lot of London based players.

On the whole thats where I think the other event is stronger on their sports guests. The team reunions tend to have a fairly even spread, Liverpool, Leeds, Man Utd., Spurs, West Ham, Forest etc with a good spread of international stars.

I know Sportsmania is a relativley new event and it will take time to establish and attract bigger name but for me this second event is not really looking as strong as the first.

I agree it's not a particulary strong line-up and most of those that are appearing are repeat guests either from SM1 or from the other one.

Maybe the people they've approached have something better to do on bank holidays - visit children, grandchildren, go on holiday etc.

Yeah they have attended the unnamed rival event as have Ian Callaghan and some others I believe.

I know at one point a lot of the ex Liverpool people were only signing for charities on permssion from LFC but I maybe wrong. Liverpool FC really fear the e bay thing.

Kenny Dalglish

Kevin Keegan (My sister would love to meet him)

Mark Wright and Dean Saunders (To me they`ll always be Derby County players but they did play for Liverpool, some people may not think they`re legends but they are to rams fans)

Maybe not Liverpool legends in the same way as the likes of King Kenny etc but Mark Wright was an FA Cup winning captain so he'd certainly be welcome. Dean Saunders was maybe just a bit unlucky in that he played for the club in a very uncertain time. I think most fans would agree that Souness got rid of Beardsley a bit prematurely, that and the record price tag put a lot of pressure on Saunders which I think he struggled to cope with.

He was on the 60 minutes with programme on the Liverpool channel a few weeks ago and he came over very well. Spoke with a lot of fondness for the club and not at all bitter that it didnt work out. He's also played for a few top flight clubs as well as international football so I would think he'd have quite a broad appeal which is always good for an event like this.

I have most of their autographs via ttm but not Dalglish hes hard to get. I think hed be very popular but I doubt that hed attend.

great guests (legends or not but great for Liverpool fans)

Ian Callaghan

Neil Ruddock

John Aldridge

Ronnie Whelan

Steve McManaman

Jamie Redknapp

Tommy Smith

Phil Thompson

the list goes on and on and on...... lol

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah they have attended the unnamed rival event as have Ian Callaghan and some others I believe.

I know at one point a lot of the ex Liverpool people were only signing for charities on permssion from LFC but I maybe wrong. Liverpool FC really fear the e bay thing.

Hi Jonathan, you're wrong, there is no contract between the former players at Liverpool FC and the club. Any player can do what they like and Liverpool FC don't give a hoot about eBay.

What you may have heard / found, however, is a similar scenario - and that is many of the former players are regularly approached at matchdays for autographs by young lads who are collecting autographs for dealers and items are then finding their way on to dealers websites and/or eBay.

Some players have now decided to only sign with dedications, others are simply fed up of it and won't sign if they suspect it is being sold on.

Tommy Smith, who is a good friend of ours, was recently subjected to a torrent of abuse after he told a few lads that he was only dedicating and he asked for no photos to be taken as a well known Liverpool dealer had used one photo of him standing with the dealers mate as 'photo proof' to peddle a stream of fakes on his website.

I don't want to start an argument about players who are happy to sign anything and those who don't want to sign anything, but this has more to do with people taking the pith and peddling fakes than any implied ego trip.

Can't speak for other clubs or players, but that's the situation with our old boys.

Hi Jonathan, you're wrong, there is no contract between the former players at Liverpool FC and the club. Any player can do what they like and Liverpool FC don't give a hoot about eBay.

What you may have heard / found, however, is a similar scenario - and that is many of the former players are regularly approached at matchdays for autographs by young lads who are collecting autographs for dealers and items are then finding their way on to dealers websites and/or eBay.

Some players have now decided to only sign with dedications, others are simply fed up of it and won't sign if they suspect it is being sold on.

Tommy Smith, who is a good friend of ours, was recently subjected to a torrent of abuse after he told a few lads that he was only dedicating and he asked for no photos to be taken as a well known Liverpool dealer had used one photo of him standing with the dealers mate as 'photo proof' to peddle a stream of fakes on his website.

I don't want to start an argument about players who are happy to sign anything and those who don't want to sign anything, but this has more to do with people taking the pith and peddling fakes than any implied ego trip.

Can't speak for other clubs or players, but that's the situation with our old boys.

It's a tough situation for these guys, while I'm sure most of them don't want to say no to genuine fans, why should they help people make money for free, especially if they are using their name to sell fakes.

Just out of interest will you guys be having a stall at Sportsmania? There's nothing quite like a stall thats 90% reds related!

• 2 months later...

It's a tough situation for these guys, while I'm sure most of them don't want to say no to genuine fans, why should they help people make money for free, especially if they are using their name to sell fakes.

Just out of interest will you guys be having a stall at Sportsmania? There's nothing quite like a stall thats 90% reds related!

Oops... sorry, forgot to come back to this !

Yes, we did have a stall there... well, I was there, wifey had to stay at home and tend the bairns... did you call by ? Found a lot of people eager to come and look / talk / browse but very few wanted to buy and we dropped prices especially for this to try and cover our costs. Ah well... maybe Sir Roger got all the visits !

There's nothing quite like a stall thats 90% reds related!

We're 100% reds related by the way. If they didn't play for us, they don't get a look in.

New signings this week and dedications available if required. Google is your friend ;-)

Seeing as this is probably the best place to post to you liverpool fans

Please look after our Robbie for us :D

Forget all of the alleged tappings up, you've got a hard worker in Keano and dispite many spurs fans turning on him he gave us 6 good years and in all honestly who could turn down playing for your boyhood team and being promised the number 7 shirt.

You read about players all the time who turn down their boyhood clubs becuase they are offered more money elsewhere - I think Robbie is probably on only slightly more than he was with us and I for once don't believe it was for the money.

Now we should go and spend the cash on Barry!! :blink:

I can't speak for every Liverpool fan but I am very happy he is at Liverpool now. I don't want this to sound arrogant becuase I don't mean it that way but in my mind he has always been the sort of player who should be at Liverpool. The way he plays the game is so reminiscant of the likes of Keegan and Beardsley. I just wish we had bought him years ago rather than messing about with the likes of Diouf!

i'm very happy with the purchase of Robbie Keane, has done really well for Spurs over the last few years, always give 100%, can play anywhere up top, scores some cracking goals and usually ends up with a good amount at the end of the season, can't wait till he builds up a great partnership with Torres.

now for Barry.