New guest announcement John Hurt

showmasters

Not what I would call huge

Blimey! You can't realistically get much bigger :YAHOO:

The man is a TWICE OSCAR NOMINATED movie legend. He is part of one the most iconic scenes in film history (the chest bursting scene in 'Alien'), as well as portraying such memorable characters as John Merrick (aka 'The Elephant Man', in the film of the same name) and Adam Sutler in 'V for Vendetta'.

He is also renowned for his incredible voice-work, which includes classics such as 'Watership Down' (Hazel), Ralph Bakshi's 'The Lord of the Rings' (Aragorn) and narration for critically acclaimed films like 'Dogville'.

Add to that impressive CV, memorable roles in a handful of his other films...

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

A Man for all Seasons

Midnight Express

The Proposition

Hellboy (etc. etc.)

...and not to mention the fact he's starring in a blockbuster in cinemas NOW ('The Oxford Murders' with Elijah Wood), I'd say he is a genuine film STAR and I think it's amazing he's appearing at a convention.

WOW :smile:

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow this guy is a legend! Will be definitely metting him i havent unfortunately seen elephant man but here it is briliant. Also Harry Potter guest lol:P and also Indianna Jones guest. He will be good to hear his stories with some of the people he has met

Blimey! You can't realistically get much bigger :huh:

...and not to mention the fact he's starring in a blockbuster in cinemas NOW ('The Oxford Murders' with Elijah Wood), I'd say he is a genuine film STAR and I think it's amazing he's appearing at a convention.

WOW :smile:

He's a wonderful actor and a great guest but perhaps I'm just picking at the hyperbole that is being used here. I can't see 'The Oxford Murders' being a 'blockbuster', with all due respect.

Mr Hurt is a highly respected actor but in terms of huge stardom, he wouldn't spring to mind, at least not for me.

Don't think I'm trying to deflate the excitment around his announcement. Everyone seems to be very happy that he's gonna be at LFCC and I'm happy for you all.

I know, I know - I'm being very picky. Maybe it's just the mood I'm in tonight. :YAHOO:

Blimey! You can't realistically get much bigger :D

The man is a TWICE OSCAR NOMINATED movie legend. He is part of one the most iconic scenes in film history (the chest bursting scene in 'Alien'), as well as portraying such memorable characters as John Merrick (aka 'The Elephant Man', in the film of the same name) and Adam Sutler in 'V for Vendetta'.

He is also renowned for his incredible voice-work, which includes classics such as 'Watership Down' (Hazel), Ralph Bakshi's 'The Lord of the Rings' (Aragorn) and narration for critically acclaimed films like 'Dogville'.

Add to that impressive CV, memorable roles in a handful of his other films...

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

A Man for all Seasons

Midnight Express

The Proposition

Hellboy (etc. etc.)

WOW :chair:

I F***ing LOVE you Lee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P:wub::wub:

This thread is very reminiscent of the Bill Nighy one from last year. I have to say though that I couldn't give a flying f*ck when Nighy cancelled, but I will be mightily disappointed if Hurt follows suit.

For anyone who doesn't believe the man is a legend just watch his performance in The Elephant Man - absolutely sublime.

I'm probably going to get something Watership Down related signed as well, in the hope that maybe one day SM will bring Richard Briers along to an event.

I've a feeling this is really going to Hurt my pocket.......

I'm sorry! lol!!!

Don't think there's ever really been an SM guest before where it's been so impossible for me to decide what to get signed that I'm very happy to just get all 3 things done!!!

A truly awesome guest. The calibre of which I hope can set a bit of a precedent for some future guests.

• Moderators

Very true :YAHOO:

In the context of someone appearing at a signing event, John Hurt IS a huge guest, and that's certainly how it should be taken.

It doesn't really matter if he signs at premieres or awards etc, not everyone goes to them - lucky for those that do, but plenty of people have never had the chance to meet a star the calibre of John Hurt.

He's had a very impressive career, with some truly memorable movies, and I'd love for him to do a talk ..

I think we need to remember the variety that Hurt brings as well. There are not many actors who attend these events with the kind of CV that John can put forward.

He's worked with some of the REAL greats of British theatrical/cinematic history - Anthony Hopkins, John Gielgud, Richard Burton, Laurence Olivier, etc, etc, etc...

I saw a comment from someone saying that "you can't consider John Hurt as a lead actor (with the exception of the Elephant Man)" - What utter poppycock. He's had several lead roles - just maybe not in films that you'd class as Hollywood blockbusters, but certainly cult classics in their own right.

John Hurt is a legend and it probably the single most impressive guest that SM have announced for this event to date.

This is without doubt, the most amazing guest that SM have ever got. I seriously believe that. I'm so shocked and thrilled about John going! John has appeared in some of the greatest films of all time, and has created some of the most memorable scenes in cinema history.

I met him last year and he was truly one of the nicest actors I've ever met. Extremely polite, down to earth and just generally a great person to talk to ^_^

Christa - I do still stand by the fact that when me or Lee talk about someone a lot, something happens! John Hurt was my father for months until I realised picking my grandparents was proving very difficult because of John's age. That's the only reason Ed Harris became my dad :lol: . John Hurt was also considered for THAT list! :o

Karen and John at the same show is amazing! I don't ever expect the others from Indy 4 to go ... well, may Ray Winstone? ;) Eh? Go ooooooon! :P

THANKS SM!!! :YAHOO:

Very true :lol:

In the context of someone appearing at a signing event, John Hurt IS a huge guest, and that's certainly how it should be taken.

Thank you for putting 'huge' into it's proper context.

I must remeber to take that into account whenever SM make another 'huge' annoucement.