LOTR Fan

Buffy vs Angel  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which show did you like the most?

• Angel
    • Buffy
    • Both

• Moderators

I would say that while Buffy went on probably longer than it should have, my favourite episodes would come from there rather than from Angel.

Both shows had problems - Riley for example, but then Connor/Cordelia .. don't get me started lol

And Angel, I don't know, I just never warmed so much to him as a character compared to a lot of the Buffy cast so .. hmm.

I loved Doyle and perhaps I never got past him being used in such a short space of time - though clearly real life things went against him ever coming back eventually anyway. I think I would've liked it more with him in it for longer.

Buffy Season 3 I absolutely adored so much that I'd even choose Buffy over Angel just based on that season alone.

I was mad when they wrote Doyle out of Angel. And upset when I realised they couldn't write him back in...

I have no idea what the whole "connor" thing was all about. Mistake IMO. But Spike and Angel worked well together. And I actually liked Cordelia.

I think I lost all faith in Buffy with the whole Dawn/key plot. But they get points for Faith and Oz ;)

Angel, because i felt it was darker and more grown up.

I loved Doyle as well and i just think it didnt have any 'bad' seasons unlike Buffy.

For me Buffy peaked at season 5 and didnt get any better and season 4 (mainly due to riley) was poo, but i did bum season 3 : )

buffy will always be far superior and cannot be beaten by any show as far as i am concerned. I love angel too, and my fave episode was of course "I'll remember you" it broke my heart watching this. david and Sarah at their best.

Nicky

Edited by buffy2k

Buffy stands as my favourite show of all time and despite having watched every season of Angel, it never really appealed to me in quite the same way.

There are many reasons why I prefer Buffy over Angel, the main one probably being the fact that I think the Buffy ensemble cast was as close to perfect as you can get. While I rate a few of the Angel actors individually, I never felt the cast really gelled together in quite the same way. Those actors on the Angel cast that I do rate, namely Alexis Denisof and Amy Acker, didn’t really shine until fairly late in the show's run - Alexis in Season 3 playing a darker Wesley and Amy in Season 5 when she portrayed the character of Illiriya. I also always found it difficult to relate to the character of Angel for the reason that he was never as multi-faceted as the central characters on Buffy.

It often baffles me that the most oft used reason of why people prefer Angel over Buffy is down to it being darker and more grown-up, yet those are the very reasons used when fans condemn Seasons 6 and 7 of Buffy. I’m of the opinion that Buffy was actually a more mature show than Angel as it had far more depth and dealt with moral ambiguities and ethical predicaments in a far more complex manner. I thought Angel was often melodramatic, especially when it introduced the use of slow-mo to highlight fight and dramatic scenes, which I thought often looked cheesy.

Finally, when Buffy was at its best, namely with episodes such as ‘Hush’ and ‘Once More, With Feeling’, it really pushed the television medium the way other shows had never acheived at that point in time.

Edited by Evil_Faith