Get some WWE New and Old Stars in attendance

Dukedwarfer

Close enough to a sport as these guys are athletes. Plus they arent coming to collectormanias anymore so this would be the logical place for them unless they wanted to run a wrestlecon of some kind perhaps?

Wouldnt mind that at all!!

It's not a sport .....

That is why it is called Sports Entertainment!!!!! Yes the winners are predetermined but what they do in the ring is very real? Just watch the flims, Beyond the Mat or 100 Reasons not to be a pro wrestler. Both real eye openers to what these guys and ladies do.

It's not a sport .....

Oh great yet another clever clogs who thinks he is one of the few that knows its actually 'fake'

I wish people that clearly dont know anything about Wrestling would just shut up and not say anything. They just make themselves look silly.

And for the record, wrestling is a sport. Its a long since established sport dating back years, to the Romans and beyond. The Wrestling, like WWE etc is classed as Sports entertainment. Same thing but dramatised.

I had this argument the other day with some plonker that thought Snooker was not a sport. Dear Dear....

Now that would be good to see some Snooker stars!!! Something original!! I was reading throught the current guest list and yawning while thinking 'seen them, done that......'

Wrestling and Snooker Stars.....There is your answer. It will get the crowds in.

And for the record, wrestling is a sport. Its a long since established sport dating back years, to the Romans and beyond.

Yup. That sort of wrestling is indeed a sport. Because the result isn't pre-ordained.

The Wrestling, like WWE etc is classed as Sports entertainment.

A phrase invented by the people that sell it, in an attempt to give their product the legitimacy that comes with "sport"

Same thing but dramatised.

Same thing but fabricated.

If this "Sports entertainment" is such a great idea, why is there not a huge business in "football entertainment" where the results are fixed in advance and the teams just go out on the pitch and display their skills until they've scored the pre-arranged number of goals? Or in any other sport?

I have no problem with calling snooker players sportsmen.

If this "Sports entertainment" is such a great idea, why is there not a huge business in "football entertainment" where the results are fixed in advance and the teams just go out on the pitch and display their skills until they've scored the pre-arranged number of goals? Or in any other sport?

I think the Italian Police may well suggest that Serie A matches were influenced a few years back.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not a sport .....

To you maybe. If you look up the definition of sport you'll find that a case can be made for professional wrestling.

sport

noun

1. an active diversion requiring physical exertion and competition

2. the occupation of athletes who compete for pay

You can't possibly deny that professional wrestlers aren't athletes, just because they can be classed as actors as well doesn't mean they aren't sportsmen and women.

And many professional wrestlers were actually college and olympic wrestlers before going into professional wrestling, Kurt Angle is a great example of that.

I've met a few of the WWE stars, Chris Jericho, Sunny, Mick Foley and Rob Van Dam, they'd make great guests and this event would be ideal to host them. Like someone previously said, they had Gladiators and WWE is much more sporting than that :smile:

It's not a sport .....

To you maybe. If you look up the definition of sport you'll find that a case can be made for professional wrestling.

sport

noun

1. an active diversion requiring physical exertion and competition

2. the occupation of athletes who compete for pay

You can't possibly deny that professional wrestlers aren't athletes, just because they can be classed as actors as well doesn't mean they aren't sportsmen and women.

Wasn't denying that they are athletes. But look at your definition: "requiring... competition".

As soon as you have fixed the results, the competition goes out of it completely.

I think you've just proved that it's not a sport. :D

I know for a fact that there will be a number of ex WWE guys already in the UK at about this time as I've seen their names mentioned for various shows.

I have no idea if they will be free to attend Collectormania but the ones that I have heard will be in the UK are Eugene, Scotty 2 Hotty, Doug Basham and Rene Dupree.

Whilst not the biggest or most exciting names, would anyone be interested in meeting these guests?

• 4 weeks later...

I know for a fact that there will be a number of ex WWE guys already in the UK at about this time as I've seen their names mentioned for various shows.

I have no idea if they will be free to attend Collectormania but the ones that I have heard will be in the UK are Eugene, Scotty 2 Hotty, Doug Basham and Rene Dupree.

Whilst not the biggest or most exciting names, would anyone be interested in meeting these guests?

Yeah why not, I'm always happy to meet WWE guests to add to my list, I'd love to meet some more of the divas, Christy Hemme, Stacy Keibler, Torrie Wilson, Tori, Sable, Chyna, Candice, Ashley and my very favourite most of all - Lilian Garcia!

wrestling is staged at the worst, pre-determined results but as we're getting bitchy lets attack the great game of football like bruce grobbalars liverpool games ;)

its an old argument but the thing is they are great athletes and a current top star kurt angle won olympic gold in 2006 in freestyle wrestling with a broken neck!

edited by QS: Please don't talk about other events here - thanks. :firedevil:

Edited by Queen_Sindel

wrestling is staged at the worst, pre-determined results but as we're getting bitchy lets attack the great game of football like bruce grobbalars liverpool games :whistling:

Let's not in case we have a falling out!

Edited by Count Fooku

Well Steve Austin and Hogan are doing Live Autographs at liveautographs.com where they will answer questions in a personal video for you and sign your item on video for you.Bit pricey though.......

Mick Foley and RVD usually do these kinds of events.They can be reached through their official ebay shops.

Chris Jericho could probably come over to promote his book.

wrestling is staged at the worst, pre-determined results but as we're getting bitchy lets attack the great game of football like bruce grobbalars liverpool games :dance:

its an old argument but the thing is they are great athletes and a current top star kurt angle won olympic gold in 2006 in freestyle wrestling with a broken neck!

edited by QS: Please don't talk about other events here - thanks. :D

Hate to be picky, but there weren't any Olympics in 2006......

wrestling is staged at the worst, pre-determined results but as we're getting bitchy lets attack the great game of football like bruce grobbalars liverpool games :lol:

edited by QS: Please don't talk about other events here - thanks. ;)

Hate to be picky, but there weren't any Olympics in 2006......

Kurt Angle won Gold in Atlanta in 1996. The style of wrestling used in the Olympics was different to that used in modern day Pro Wrestling seen on TV courtesy of TNA and WWE on the whole. The results were also not predetermined. Yes, the majority of Pro Wrestlers are trained in the basics of wrestling to a certain degree, but people like Angle are rare in the business. I personally would only call a number of current pro wrestlers athletes, but that is my personal opinion. As regards Angle's broken neck in 1996, it wasn't as bad as it sounds or is made to sound. Check out numerous "out of character" interviews by Angle regarding the Olympics and you will see he mentions the extent of the damage.

As regards former Liverpool Goalkeeper Bruce Grobbelaar and the allegations of match fixing; he could only do so much as a Keeper and there were 10 other players in his team.

Wasn't denying that they are athletes. But look at your definition: "requiring... competition".

As soon as you have fixed the results, the competition goes out of it completely.

I think you've just proved that it's not a sport. :P

They are in a competition though, with each other. Even knowing the result they have to compete with each other during the match as to who looks the better wrestler and personality.

All pro wrestlers compete to be the best and be given bigger fights and title shots and money.

I think you've just proved that it's not a sport. :P

They are in a competition though, with each other. Even knowing the result they have to compete with each other during the match as to who looks the better wrestler and personality.

All pro wrestlers compete to be the best and be given bigger fights and title shots and money.

The title shots are irrelevant in that anyone can be used in a title match to "job" to the champion or challenger. What wrestler's compete for is to show that they are over with the fans, put bums in seats, money in the bank and thus "trusted" with a title belt. It is also a case of who you are friends with. The right people mean that chances will come a wrestler's way. If you look at the amount of athletic/talented wrestlers who have been overlooked in the past because they are not in the right circles. So, the more talented you are means very little these days in the "sport" of professional wrestling. Look at some of the champions past and present who are limited in moves. A very recent example is the de-push that the Motor City Machine Guns are in over in TNA Wrestling becasue they asked if they didn't have to "bleed" at the Street Fight match between them and Jay Lethal against Team 3D and Johnny Devine.