The question of one day tickets

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really does affect...:headscratch:

Today they know how much pass are sold and they can optimize the schedule for the pass Holders...

If SM accept to sell day tickets... it's because they would think people will buy that kind of tickets...

But they will never know exactly how much people will come only saturday and only sunday...

So they will imagine a schedule supposing how much people there will be and with a risk that some of actors will waste their time doing anything (as for a sign event).

I prefer that we have longer Q&A sessions rather that actors wait during autograph session for people who perhaps will never come...:uhoh:

First of all, do you think that Showmasters know how many photo shoots they will sell and how many extra-autographs they will sell with the people who currently have a ticket ? No, they just know that all the gold pass holders will make a photo with each guest and that everyone will have a free autograph but that's it. There is absolutely no way to know these information in advance (although the fact that they sell tickets before the event might help a bit to give them a rough idea). So, they will basically have the same schedule as for Eclipse except that each session will be shorter for the guests (less photo shoots and less signings). But that does not mean that they will speak two hours each on stage. The duration of an actor's talk is something that it is written down in contracts. What you will have is some more extra-activities like for example quiz, projections on big screen or whatever Showmasters may organize but certainly not longer talks.

Finally, how many people would come for one day ? Maybe 40-50 at best, probably less. This will not affect the schedule in any way. And there are probably 150-200 week-end pass holders, I barely see how the schedule of such a small event could be affected :blink:

You might as well go for it!

just make as much money as you can, if you get more people it's exactly what we need, and people may go for one day and buy another days while they're there you never know,

GO ON SHOWMASTERS!!! ONE DAY ALL THE WAY

Of course, it's good when a lot of people buy tickets very early. It's indeed what allow the organizers to bring a lot of good guests. The reasons Eclipse was much more successful than Lockdown are probably complex but I have the feeling that Heroes is much more "hype" at the moment than Lost. Also, Lockdown was coming too close to Eclipse, especially in a very busy period of conventions and signing events. Finally, the lack of any announcements during three months probably led undecided people to choose in favour of Eclipse rather than Lockdown.

Day tickets were not available for Eclipse because there was a potential to sell out all the week-end tickets. But for this very low sale event that is Lockdown, I see only financial advantages for Showmasters to sell day tickets.

Anyway, whether or not they sell it, I hope the event will still be good for everyone and that they can find a good replacement guest for HIC.

Edited by lams9999

Finally, how many people would come for one day ? Maybe 40-50 at best, probably less. This will not affect the schedule in any way. And there are probably 150-200 week-end pass holders, I barely see how the schedule of such a small event could be affected :o

Nobody knows that...

As you said, most of the attendees live in UK.

So if they are selling 1-day tickets, we don't know how much people will come...

Perhaps you're right (40-50), perhaps it will be more (100 ? 150 ?).

It's very fast coming to Northampton from London. And it's possible we have a guest replacement...

If i live in London and i have no pass, I'm sure I will buy a 1-day pass !

If it is less than 40 (as you think), i don't know if SM has really something to win.

If we pass from 150 to 300 attendees, I think it will change something to the schedule...

If SM has to preview a schedule thinking there will be 300 attendees and finally we are only 150...

I think it's better for SM if we are 300 instead 150, but it's more easy if they know it before the event... because we are speaking about 1-day ticket which would be on sale at the Park Inn, isn't it ?

Ok, they haven't sold extra autograph tickets and photo session tickets until now, so it's more difficult to plan a schedule... but perhaps they will sell them next week on the online store.

And if they decide to sell 1-day tickets, it will be much more difficult.

An example : perhaps they have decided that it was not useful to use the complete main Hall for the talk show if we are only 150... What's happened if we are 300 on sunday ?:headscratch:

And I suppose there are another things we are not thinking about but which could be not easy to change...

I think there is good reasons and bad reasons to sell 1-day tickets, so it is not so easy to decide, and Jason posted a list of all these reasons in the first message...

What is very clear is that a lots of people who are posting "Yes, we want 1-day tickets" have no pass and are very interested on that kind of ticket...

Edited by sebastianillyria

The argument about the hall is valid indeed. Btw, I wonder if this hall has the capability of being reduced in volume ? I guess it has, otherwise it will seem very empty at Lockdown ...

Anyway, enough discussions about for or against day tickets, I'm pretty sure that Showmasters have now a much clearer view about it :angel:

On another topic, I see Ptilion is coming to London in May :(

I'm not trying to say anything. I've said exactly what I meant to.

I hope Lockdown and Lockdown 2 are a success. But if they aren't do you think the cons will continue to run while SM take heavy losses?

Short term gain is good to ensure a long term future, IMO.

End of.

No, I don't think cons will continue to run while they take heavy losses, which is exactly why I think this is a bad idea. It's highly unlikely that they'll make anything from it, but in the act of making it possible they're going to be irritating many current weekend pass holders - not helping their financial position and potentially damaging their customer relations. And that's just the short term! Long term has the potential to go down even more.

But this will potentially REDUCE their losses for this event (which have obviously been made worse by the problems they've had getting guests.)

Why will day passes irritate current weekend pass holders?!? Sure, it will if you offer it for a cheaper amount, but that's kind of the point... you don't offer it for less than they have paid.I have a weekend pass for this event and I'd love to have more attendees there.

Also, the reason I suggested this was because IF SM manage to get a last minute guest or too, it will be too late to get the normal associated bump in sales, as most people will be unable to alter their weekend plans at such short notice. They MAY however be able to free themselves for a day.

Proven to work? That's interesting. My viewpoint comes partially from the fact that the last time I knew of an organiser selling day tickets, it was a miserable failure and had knock on consequences for all of their other events.

I don't think there's ever been a Doctor Who event in this country where a 2 day ticket was the only option

EDIT by QS:

I've removed the link.

Sorry, I realize why you posted it, but due to forum rules it had to go.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

I say no to one day tickets. I'd like to be able to get to know people over the weekend and get more relaxed with it being the same (big) group of people, if it's a new group of people every day it will be more difficult to really get to know people and make friends.

Are the Jate accepted in this group ? :dance:

Thank you for all your efforts with this con, and thank you for still letting it go ahead despite all the difficulties. I am sooooo looking forward to next week, and have booked an extra night in the hotel which I don't normally do at cons, just to make sure I can get the best out of it and carry on partying! Roll on next week!!!!!!! :blink:

But this will potentially REDUCE their losses for this event (which have obviously been made worse by the problems they've had getting guests.)

Why will day passes irritate current weekend pass holders?!? Sure, it will if you offer it for a cheaper amount, but that's kind of the point... you don't offer it for less than they have paid.I have a weekend pass for this event and I'd love to have more attendees there.

Because there are multiple people who have bought weekend passes with the intention of attending for only one day.

Proven to work? That's interesting. My viewpoint comes partially from the fact that the last time I knew of an organiser selling day tickets, it was a miserable failure and had knock on consequences for all of their other events.

I don't think there's ever been a Doctor Who event in this country where a 2 day ticket was the only option

EDIT by QS:

I've removed the link.

Sorry, I realize why you posted it, but due to forum rules it had to go.

Never heard of/been to a Dr Who event...

Because there are multiple people who have bought weekend passes with the intention of attending for only one day.

...and that's why you charge more for the day pass. The day pass would be for people who perhaps only wanted one or two autos, for which they would have to pay ontop of the charge. As I've said a cople of times, this is only workable if they manage to get last minute guests.

Charge more for the day pass than for the weekend pass? Then what is the point in having a day pass? That renders it pointless. And if you charge less for the day pass than for the weekend pass, you're going to annoy those who already bought a weekend pass for just one day.

Edited by Psychosis

Having done a day ticket many years ago for one of my first cons, I have to say yes.

Gave me a 'taste' of what goes on and I got to see some talks, so I was very happy.

I guess SM have will have to look at it from a con to con basis. I have done events with only a few ticket sales and the con was totally flat.

I don't envy anyone going to Lockdown. It could be a long weekend.

Hopefully with future events, it will be a moot point, as the strike was an unfortunate and imo necessary event (sorry David!), which will hopefully not impact on anything else.

Charge more for the day pass than for the weekend pass? Then what is the point in having a day pass? That renders it pointless. And if you charge less for the day pass than for the weekend pass, you're going to annoy those who already bought a weekend pass for just one day.

Evidently I was not making myself clear. My suggestion is that you charge between £15 and £25 for a Day Pass. This entitles you to entry to the event, a seat at the talks (behind the weekend pass holders), entry to the party and the opportunity to purchase autographs and MAYBE photot shoots with the guests. It means that if you wanted an autograph from EACH of the guests, the total cost is MORE than if you had bought a weekend pass. The reason people might go for it, is because if SHowmasters manage to secure one or two last minute guests, people might just want their autographs (because if they wanted autos from the existing guests, they would have surely bought a weeekend pass). Existing weekend pass holders will be happy, because they will already get a free auto from any additional, last minute guests,.