The question of one day tickets

Day tickets are also a good opportunity for people to discover the atmosphere of a convention. I went to my first convention ever (back in 2001 :D ) only for one day because I didn't know what to expect from such an event.

And indeed, most con organizers give the opportunity of day tickets nearer the dates when ticket sales are low. I know only of one organizer that doesn't sell day tickets.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day tickets are also a good opportunity for people to discover the atmosphere of a convention.

Exactly. Full weekend ticket sales could follow for future events after a person has purchased a one-day ticket and realised what conventions are all about.

So long as the people who fully supported the event and shelled out for a full weekend ticket are not negatively affected, I think one-day tickets could be advantageous to the organiser in many ways - future sales, photos sales, boosting low attendance numbers, etc.

I honestly don't see how it could be a bad thing?

I raised the suggestion in the first place and would normally be against one day tickets for the reasons Showmasters have stated. However, I feel this convention is suffered an unfortunate, exceptional set of circumstances that could make one day tickets beneficial.

I've no idea how many tickets have sold, but I'd guess it's way short of Eclipse. Offering day tickets could bunp the attendance during the day and evening, enhancing the experience of both the party and the talks.

To be honest, I think it's only worth doing if Showmasters get lucky and manage to bag one or two last minute guests.

Day tickets are also a good opportunity for people to discover the atmosphere of a convention.

Exactly. Full weekend ticket sales could follow for future events after a person has purchased a one-day ticket and realised what conventions are all about.

I honestly don't see how it could be a bad thing?

What a crazy idea ! :poki:

Before I assisted to my first convention, I had no idea about what was really a convention.

When i bought my first pass, I never imagined that the organiser should give me a reduced prize because it was my first event loooool and i have to see if I like that or not.

At Eclipse, a lot of people were newbies and they paid the complete prize...

I think it's not a good argument.

A convention is a 3-days event, and if you want to discover what is a convention, you have to be there the 3 days.

How could you discover what is exactly a convention if you stay only 1 day ? :lol:

I agree with some arguments to justify a 1-day ticket but not this one :thumbup:

Okay, 'fair' clearly being the wrong word to have used here.

Take the cost element out of it as well.

Some people simply can't do entire weekends for whatever reason. Doing one day tickets allows them to experience some of the con atmosphere and could also mean extra auto & photo sales for SM.

And as I said before, so long as the weekend attendees don't suffer in any way, it could work.

Still a yes from me.

But it won't. You don't get the con atmosphere from turning up for a few hours.

I'm REALLY heavily against this. "Pandora's box" seems like an understatement.

They can't just do one day tickets for one event. That's opening a can of nasty, vicious, man eating worms.

I agree with you Seba but I'm serious, for my first event (in Germany), I went only for one day. And yes, you can see that the talks are longer than at a signing event, you can see that the signing sessions is more relaxed than at signing events (even though that the signing at Eclipse was a bit similar to what you have at Collectormania), you can go to the party that night, etc .... for my first event, I bought a day ticket, I never did it again of course :thumbup:

But the point is that as long as it does not affect the week-end pass holders, I don't see the problem of having day tickets. Eventually they will pay more (because autographs should not be included then) for less time and activities at the event. But the good thing is that they bring more money to the event and there might be more people during the talks, maybe parties, etc ....

And seriously, all organizers I know (in every country including Germany, France, the Netherlands) except one do sell one day tickets if the event does not sell out.

Edited by lams9999

I agree with you Seba but I'm serious, for my first event (in Germany), I went only for one day. And yes, you can see that the talks are longer than at a signing event, you can see that the signing sessions is more relaxed than at signing events (even though that the signing at Eclipse was a bit similar to what you have at Collectormania), you can go to the party that night, etc .... for my first event, I bought a day ticket, I never did it again of course :poki:

But the point is that as long as it does not affect the week-end pass holders, I don't see the problem of having day tickets. Eventually they will pay more (because autographs should not be included then) for less time and activities at the event. But the good thing is that they bring more money to the event and there might be more people during the talks, maybe parties, etc ....

And seriously, all organizers I know (in every country including Germany, France, the Netherlands) except one do sell one day tickets if the event does not sell out.

If all the conventions sold 1-day tickets, I would assist to all the events :lol:

That's why it's not a good idea... for my bank :thumbup:

Yes of course day tickets should be available if the organiser now feels that it an appropriate way to maximise possible income from the event.

Yes, it's one of the good reasons of that kind of tickets.

But with that kind of tickets, there are inconveniences for the organisation of the convention... particularly for the Schedule.

I would prefer they optimize the schedule with a only one hour autograph session, and 4 long individual Q&A sessions. If they don't know how much people there will be on sunday, it's difficult to imagine a good schedule. It could kill the event...

It's not the same problem for a sign event when actors are signing all the day...

Edited by sebastianillyria

If all the conventions sold 1-day tickets, I would assist to all the events :D

That's why it's not a good idea... for my bank :D

For us, day tickets are not interesting because we have to come from abroad and it's not convenient but imagine if you were living 100 km from the event, you could just drive 1 hour or so and attend the event. In the event in Germany, I drive every day as I'm not too tempted by the parties and so I save the price of a very expensive hotel.

But we do all events anyway :P (or nearly all events :YAHOO: )

Edited by lams9999

But it won't. You don't get the con atmosphere from turning up for a few hours.

An entire day and a party in the evening is slightly more than a 'few hours' - and yes you can get the atmosphere from that. I've done it. Only once, admittedly as I am a weekend girl myself. But it can be done.

I'm REALLY heavily against this.

So I gather - but still, we can't all agree. I'm for it - for this particular event- and you're not so let's just agree to diagree.

They can't just do one day tickets for one event.

Of course they can and there is no good reason stopping them from doing it to make this event a success. Other organisers have done it and done it successfuly. Saying something won't work is all well and good, but when it has already been proven to work and has been profitable for both sides involved it becomes a bit redundant.

Edited by The witch

PS : if the events were in London, I could take the first and the last eurostar for 77 euros and without hotel to pay...

My bank would be very happy ^^

Right but if it was located in Heathrow, it's still a pain in the ass to get there from central London.

But it's true that in the very peculiar case of Lockdown, I might have bought a one day ticket if the event was held in London (and of course assuming that Showmasters will sell them). I definitely have to be in Belgium on sunday ! :YAHOO:

Of course they can and there is no good reason stopping them from doing it to make this event a success. Other organisers have done it and done it successfuly. Saying something won't work is all well and good, but when it has already been proven to work and has been profitable for both sides involved it becomes a bit redundant.

Proven to work? That's interesting. My viewpoint comes partially from the fact that the last time I knew of an organiser selling day tickets, it was a miserable failure and had knock on consequences for all of their other events.

What happens when, two weeks before Lockdown 2, people still haven't bought tickets because they're waiting for the desperation day tickets to go on sale? How do you expect them to book guests?

But the point is that as long as it does not affect the week-end pass holders, I don't see the problem of having day tickets.

It really does affect...:YAHOO:

Today they know how much pass are sold and they can optimize the schedule for the pass Holders...

If SM accept to sell day tickets... it's because they would think people will buy that kind of tickets...

But they will never know exactly how much people will come only saturday and only sunday...

So they will imagine a schedule supposing how much people there will be and with a risk that some of actors will waste their time doing anything (as for a sign event).

I prefer that we have longer Q&A sessions rather that actors wait during autograph session for people who perhaps will never come...:D

What happens when, two weeks before Lockdown 2, people still haven't bought tickets because they're waiting for the desperation day tickets to go on sale? How do you expect them to book guests?

I 100% agree with you :D

If they can book great guests, it's because some of us have paid since several months...

What's happened if everybody is waiting the last month to book for Lockdown 2 ? Are you thinking SM will take risk to book A-List guests with 100 passes sold (and how can they pay the guests ?) ?

Proven to work? That's interesting. My viewpoint comes partially from the fact that the last time I knew of an organiser selling day tickets, it was a miserable failure and had knock on consequences for all of their other events.

Surely right now the focus needs to be on making Lockdown a success and not jumping ahead to Lockdown 2? How can you talk about the jeopardy of a future event when the first one doesn't seem to be doing all that well?

I believe that day tickets have been suggested as a possible way to make Lockdown a successful event for SM - which is what we all want. If this event is losing SM money and there is a way to make back that money to ensure that SM are happy for L2 to go ahead, then yes - I am all for day tickets. Still.

As for

Proven to work? That's interesting

You'll find that generally, I'm an interesting kinda girl :D:YAHOO:

Surely right now the focus needs to be on making Lockdown a success and not jumping ahead to Lockdown 2? How can you talk about the jeopardy of a future event when the first one doesn't seem to be doing all that well?

I believe that day tickets have been suggested as a possible way to make Lockdown a successful event for SM - which is what we all want. If this event is losing SM money and there is a way to make back that money to ensure that SM are happy for L2 to go ahead, then yes - I am all for day tickets. Still.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say? Are you trying to say that long term planning is a bad thing? When making a 'major' change like this, it would be irresponsible to only look at it in terms of possible short term gain.

They've already expressed that they're happy for Lockdown 2 to go ahead.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say? Are you trying to say that long term planning is a bad thing? When making a 'major' change like this, it would be irresponsible to only look at it in terms of possible short term gain.

They've already expressed that they're happy for Lockdown 2 to go ahead.

I'm not trying to say anything. I've said exactly what I meant to.

I hope Lockdown and Lockdown 2 are a success. But if they aren't do you think the cons will continue to run while SM take heavy losses?

Short term gain is good to ensure a long term future, IMO.

End of.

I'm not trying to say anything. I've said exactly what I meant to.

I hope Lockdown and Lockdown 2 are a success. But if they aren't do you think the cons will continue to run while SM take heavy losses?

Short term gain is good to ensure a long term future, IMO.

End of.

No, I don't think cons will continue to run while they take heavy losses, which is exactly why I think this is a bad idea. It's highly unlikely that they'll make anything from it, but in the act of making it possible they're going to be irritating many current weekend pass holders - not helping their financial position and potentially damaging their customer relations. And that's just the short term! Long term has the potential to go down even more.

Edited by Psychosis

I agree that we have not to speak about Lockdown 2 (and i don't like to speak about that) to respect people who are coming to L1 and who will not come to L2...

... but all that psycho told is right for Lockdown 1 too !

If they booked so great guests for Eclipse, it because they sold so much pass 6 months ago...

If they did not announce another big guests (as HIC) for Lockdown, it's perhaps because people waited for guests announcements and they wanted to book only at the end...

I have nothing against people wanting to wait for the guests to order their pass but to book only at the end isn't a good idea if we want SM book Big guests.

We speak about the writers strike, but i dont think it's the main reason of the lack of big names (because if it was the main reason, SM would have announced big names, and after they would have canceled these guests...). To my mind, people have waited to order pass and it's one of the main reasons...

Why should people book for an event without guests? SM are new to running these type of events and therefore cannot expect punters to buy a ticket without some evidence that the show will be worth attending and for some people that means it is about the guests. Once the trust is there and as long as the theme is right we all know these events sell. The Heroes event was a big success and huge credit for SM for that yet lets not forget Fedcom and another show in 2007 before everybody buys tickets purely on trust.

If selling day tickets for this event helps it then I see no problem.

Why should people book for an event without guests?

Because loooool

Because :

1 - often (or sometimes) people book because of the first announced guests, and unfortunately, they have to cancel

(so you book without guests or with guests who have a big chance to cancel, is the same thing...)

2 - because it helps SM to have great guests

Eclipse is a very good example :

A lots of ticket sold in august and september 2007

===> big names announced

====> Amazing Eclipse event

===> A lots of ticket already sold for Eclipse 2 (without names announced, HRG is not confirmed)

====> (eventually) another big names for eclipse 2 ! :WAVE:

I don't tell you "you should book without guests", i just give you 2 good reasons i was thinking about :blush:

Why should people book for an event without guests? SM are new to running these type of events and therefore cannot expect punters to buy a ticket without some evidence that the show will be worth attending and for some people that means it is about the guests. Once the trust is there and as long as the theme is right we all know these events sell. The Heroes event was a big success and huge credit for SM for that yet lets not forget Fedcom and another show in 2007 before everybody buys tickets purely on trust.

If selling day tickets for this event helps it then I see no problem.

It worked fine for Eclipse. People bought tickets, Showmasters got guests, we bought more tickets, they got more guests. It's impossible for them to get guests without tickets, just as we're less likely to buy tickets without guests. There has to be a compromise between both, and it worked perfectly fine for Eclipse BECAUSE people were buying tickets and thus enabling them to keep getting guests. We can't expect them to give us loads of guests if we're not buying tickets, they just won't have the money to pay for them unless we give it to them.

Edited by Psychosis