The question of one day tickets

• Showmasters Admin

we did not do this as we felt and still feel that one day tickets KILL Convention

The events is not just about getting the autographs and with cons that sell out you limit even more people that can come and experience of the entire event

also some fans would see we did this this time and would hold back booking for the next one and this would also damage the event as well as we can put on amazing events but to make it work properly we need a 100 % sell out that way we have the budget to do all the things we want to

also selling tickets early is also important as we have the income to pay for flights early which are cheeper which means we have more to spend on the event

so any thing that stops people enjoying the 3 day event or makes people hold out to see if one day tickets are going to go on sale all helps to damages the Convention or the experience

also it is not fair on people that only wanted to do one day and when for it and booked the weekend ticket so offering this after is a bit unfair and these people are helping to make the event happen even if they can only do the one or two days

in the short term it may help sell some one day programs and bring in a little money but in the long term it is not good for what we are trying to do here, which is to run fun good value reliable events.

its not easy getting it all right and yes it would be good to bring in a little more income but this is not the right way

we have been hit hard but the problems with the guests, and have been so unlucky and will loose a lot running this event this time, but if we want to keep the event alive and try to grow the events we have to show that a con go's on sale in the first place that the event will happen and the fans get to see that

we are new to the con event running and its different to other events we run not harder but we are learning very fast and can see that there is lots of ways we can improve and build these events into something so amazing all we need is your faith in us and we will do our best to put on some great Convention

we are sorry this event is not what it could have been we have been up front and honest and we hope you all can see that and we hope you can all see the bigger pitcher of what we are trying to do here

thanks for making this event happen which means we get to have another go next year to bring over the big names you all want to see

thanks for reading

see you all next week it will still be fun :headscratch:

jason :unsure:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would vote no for one day tickets too. As you said, it's unfair then on those that booked weekend tickets. I know some cons do them, but then it's a mad rush to get all your photos and autos in that one day and there's no time to really sit back and enjoy the experience.

I absolutely agree that day tickets are against the spirit of the event. However, from a purely selfish point of view, I am dashing around the UK at the minute on a personal project lasting three weeks, and can't really spend any more time away from home or off work.

For a better lineup, I would make the effort, but I know SM have just been unlucky on the back of the writer's strike and that can't be helped at this stage.

Anyway - I want to support the event, and to help it grow into something comparable to Eclipse. And I also want to get autos from the guests that are coming to Lockdown next week !

For purely selfish reasons, I would take a day ticket for the Friday :D .....

Edited by dufresne

It's true that people coming for one day only miss a lot from the event but you have always people coming to those events just for collecting so for them it might be interesting to come for one day.

I agree with Jason's comment that it's not good for the event when it's sold out like Eclipse as it is much better to have people staying at the parties and other activities throughout the week-end. But for a low sales event like Lockdown, it might attract a few more people for the day. I'm not going to Lockdown but I've been to conventions with low sales where people could buy day tickets on the day and I had no problem with that as long as they do not have the same advantages as week-end ticket holders have, i.e. no free autographs included.

I would vote yes for day tickets, so long as there is a way to work it so that people who paid for a full weekend tickets didn't suffer because of it.

Some people can't afford an entire weekend away in a hotel or can't be away from home for a whole weekend. Some people might be single parents who can't get babysitters for 2 or 3 nights. I do know someone this absolutely applies to.

It's not fair that they should miss out completely, surely?

I hadn't thought of what lams9999 said, about people being able to get day tickets, but that include entry only, and autographs and/or photos would be extra. That might be a way around it and for those with weekend tickets not to feel they're lost out in any way.

we did not do this as we felt and still feel that one day tickets KILL Convention

The events is not just about getting the autographs and with cons that sell out you limit even more people that can come and experience of the entire event

Some people are only interested in autographs, and I dare say those who do generate more cash for you then those who just enjoy the other experiences for free! If you can sell 400 two day tickets 400 people can get in. If you sell 800 one day tickets potentially twice as many can experience the fun. Just have some guests exclusive to certian days, then you have more of a reason to do the whole thing.

I would vote yes for day tickets, so long as there is a way to work it so that people who paid for a full weekend tickets didn't suffer because of it.

Some people can't afford an entire weekend away in a hotel or can't be away from home for a whole weekend. Some people might be single parents who can't get babysitters for 2 or 3 nights. I do know someone this absolutely applies to.

Of course it is. You can afford something, you do it, you can't, you don't. It's the way the world works.

I agree, fairness has nothing to do with it. If you can't make it, whatever your reason, whether it's to do with childcare or work or whatever, you can't expect Showmasters to bend the rules or changes their policies to suit you. I've had to miss out on events I really wanted to go to because I had to look after my daughter that weekend, there's no point saying it's not fair.

i vote no because if you sell them this time everyone will expect you to do them at other cons , if people want to go for 1 day then they should just by a weekend ticket because in the beginning i only booked lockdown because i wanted to see the guests not for the partys etc [now obv im looking forward to everything :YAHOO: esp meeting all of you]

i just think we shouldnt [as weekend pass holders] have to suffer because of people that only want to come for the "good part" and pay less money [if it was all inclusive] if you only wanna come for one day just buy a weekend pass then at least everythings included and SM wont have to put it more work,

:WINCE:

SM: how are things going on finding a replacement, obviously nothings been announced but does it look good or bad?

x

I agree, you have to remember that it's a convention, not a signing event ! Some guests are pleased to do a convention but might be less interested to do a pure signing event. Of course it works the other way round as well.

My comment above was for the particular case of a low sale event like Lockdown. In this case, it might give people only interested by signatures and possibly talks to be part of the event without causing any problem to the week-end pass holders. But for an event like Eclipse, if 80% of the attendees have left after saturday afternoon, it would have been really bad for the event itself.

My feeling is it's okay to sell day tickets when you know for sure that your event will be far from being sold out but not otherwise.

I vote yes

there is obviously a distinct lack of tickets sales for this event. this in my opinion leaves the con feeling a bit stale.

There tends to be no sort of atmosphere because of this and leaves people feeling like this isn't the sort of con they want to attend

Showmasters have also admitted they are losing money on this well what better way to make some of that back

you have the guests to warrant people buying weekend tickets then they will cause they are far better value for money than day tickets if you have big names stars

Of course it is. You can afford something, you do it, you can't, you don't. It's the way the world works.

Okay, 'fair' clearly being the wrong word to have used here.

Take the cost element out of it as well.

Some people simply can't do entire weekends for whatever reason. Doing one day tickets allows them to experience some of the con atmosphere and could also mean extra auto & photo sales for SM.

And as I said before, so long as the weekend attendees don't suffer in any way, it could work.

Still a yes from me.

Edited by The witch

i dont think we should open this one day ticket gate

it would cost you just as much for a day ticket and all the autos

as it would for a weekend ticket [all the autos plus a free group shot]

even if you only attended one day.

x

I was factoring in hotel, travel & living costs as well.

An average weekend convention in the past has cost me £350 all in.

A day event has cost me under £100 and I got more autos and goodies from the stalls than at the weekend con.

I vote No :D

i vote no because if you sell them this time everyone will expect you to do them at other cons , if people want to go for 1 day then they should just by a weekend ticket because in the beginning i only booked lockdown because i wanted to see the guests not for the partys etc [now obv im looking forward to everything :YAHOO: esp meeting all of you]

i just think we shouldnt [as weekend pass holders] have to suffer because of people that only want to come for the "good part" and pay less money [if it was all inclusive] if you only wanna come for one day just buy a weekend pass then at least everythings included and SM wont have to put it more work,

:D

I 100% agree.

I have a friend who is able to arrive only saturday afternoon and she bought a 3-days pass.

People who want to come only 1 day have to buy a pass. :P

A convention works like that... and it's not a sign event.

I have been attending conventions(not signings) for 6 years now and its a given that if ticket sales are poor then day tickets are a way of attracting people and also makes people think that the organisers are thinking about the fans Just my opinion

Edited by The Host