Newbie = good // N00b = bad

Rivaan

I've been seeing this a bit on the forums and thought I would make a post about it before things may become out of hand.

When it comes to internet jargon, the terms newb and newbie are not bad ones, and shouldn't really be used as such to generalise all new people badly.

When describing a newbie that sucks, the term n00b is generally used.

I see some people taking offence, when they are coined in with bad behaviour for being new.

So I think we should use the right word to avoid upsetting people? :)

And yes.. I'm a newbie. :YAHOO:

Edited by Rivaan

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people have a right to take offence, however, when "newbie" is paired with "thief" or something equally demeaning.

I'm not a con newbie, but I completely understand why it would offend people when used in certain contexts, such as in the missing flag thread.

EDIT: Spelling mistake. Can't be having that. =P

Edited by Lenatalia

That's what I meant. The newbies are being blamed for things, when it's obvious that all newbies aren't bad.

What I was trying to say with my original post is that the troublemaking newbies should be called what the internet has deemed them: "n00bs"; to diffrentiate between all new people and just the bad ones.

It's more the assumption that whenever something bad happens it's a new person full stop that's annoying!

a lot of the problems WERE caused by people new to the scene (conventionally challenegd?)... that said, MOST of the conventionally challenged people were perfectly well behaved and not a problem. We are talking about a very small minority of people showing a lack of manners and disrespect.

It's more the assumption that whenever something bad happens it's a new person full stop that's annoying!

a lot of the problems WERE caused by people new to the scene (conventionally challenegd?)... that said, MOST of the conventionally challenged people were perfectly well behaved and not a problem. We are talking about a very small minority of people showing a lack of manners and disrespect.

Is it not safe to say that people who are disrespectful and lack manners would be the same pretty much regardless of how many conventions they go to?

Just because someone has been to multiple conventions does not make them a nicer person. Some people are naturally nice, and some are just pricks. Being a seasoned veteran doesn't alter inherent behaviour. Does it?

I suspect that if people new to the scene did cause problems, it was most likely because of lack of understanding and trying to find their feet, rather than inherent 'bastardness', and after their first convention they'll have a far better understanding and not make the same mistakes next time.

On the other hand, people who are naturally pricks will always be such, regardless of experience.

I am certainly not referring to anyone in particular, just the human condition in general.

In conclusion,

Edited by Kenny

BUT,

alot of new people are probably more scared to go and harass the guests....

i know when i met my first ever famous person i only managed a hi and that was when they were signing my photo.

i really think its unfair to blame new people for most of the trouble. Its unfair to blame anyone apart from the hobnobs who did it : )

until theres names or anything it should just be left alone.

my opinion :)

and this is from the one who requested bob the builder (Y)

Edited by mousybrown

hey, I was a convention Noob until I went to eclipse...

but I've met quite a few famous people in real life, just from being in bands and stuff.

I don't get the whole crowding them thing, they are just people.

if you treat them as you would like to be treated then everything is fine. ( I think that was put across at every given moment by the staff, and they are right)

I guess some people just get carried away.

p.s there was no excuse for bob the builder..shame on you :thumbup:

Edited by Beddall

I loved there being so many newbies at the con, very refreshing. But.....there were some idiots also, I am talking mainly about the group of racist yobs who decided they wanted to start a fight outside the hotel on Saturday night.

If the flashy kid in the white suit from saturday night and the big nasty mouthy bloke want to step forward and apologise now that would be great!

This might be going off subject. But this was my first con you would call me a 'newbie' but i have been doing signing events for awhile now. Everybody told me time and time again how different cons were to signing events. Having been to a con, i didnt feel like there was much difference at all.

This might be going off subject. But this was my first con you would call me a 'newbie' but i have been doing signing events for awhile now. Everybody told me time and time again how different cons were to signing events. Having been to a con, i didnt feel like there was much difference at all.

There are definite differences, though perhaps they didn't affect what you personally do at signing events. :chair:

There are definite differences, though perhaps they didn't affect what you personally do at signing events. :chair:

Yes maybe its a personal thing. Why are they so different?