Train Travel To MK for Collectormania :-(

gobo1979uk

Was just looking into getting train tickets going to this event and noticed that there are no trains between Coventry and Northampton on the Sat and Sun. There is a replacement bus service which takes 1 1/2 hours!!!! This is gonna make it a bit of a nightmare from anyone traveling from birmingham/north of MK. Looked into coach journey instead but this drops you off in the middle of nowhere next to the motorway...great!

5 hours from Manchester is a bit unreasonable. I may have to risk driving down, but I’m really not convinced my car could survive such a journey. Still, I’m willing to do whatever it takes to meet Lea Thompson.

Was just looking into getting train tickets going to this event and noticed that there are no trains between Coventry and Northampton on the Sat and Sun. There is a replacement bus service which takes 1 1/2 hours!!!! This is gonna make it a bit of a nightmare from anyone traveling from birmingham/north of MK. Looked into coach journey instead but this drops you off in the middle of nowhere next to the motorway...great!

I have caught the coach before and it drops off at the Milton Keynes Coachway which is near the motorway. There is a small shop there and the guy who runs it also runs a cab company. Last time I went by coach he did not have any cars available but gave me the number of another company who were quite prompt. It only takes about 10 minutes to get to the shopping centre. The National Express journey should only take just under an hour from Coventry and is probably cheaper than the train anyway.

P.S. Just realised you only mentioned Coventry as that is where the trains stop and not where you are travelling from. I travel from Birmingham and find the coach journey is only slightly longer than the train and usually costs less anyway and I have never had a problem getting from the coachway to the centre although I am usually there for about 7am so I will go by coach again this time.

Edited by Zaigor

Just to make people aware of changes to coach travel

"From 19th April 2008 the Coachway will move from its current location at Junction 14 whilst a new coach passenger terminal is constructed. The site at Campbell Park was chosen after consultation with passengers, the coach companies, residents and parish councils.

Long distance coach services currently calling at Junction 14 will move to a temporary location between Montrose Street and Pilgrim Street, off Silbury Boulevard in Campbell Park, where facilities will include a waiting room, ticket office, toilets, 80 adjacent parking spaces and a café. The site will be well lit, have CCTV and 24-hour on-site security.

Services will operate from this location 24 hours a day. This includes all National Express services to London, Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Birmingham and many other locations as well as the MK1 commuter service to London City and Canary Wharf.

In the meantime, the ground is being prepared for a state-of-the-art passenger terminal building to be built on the new Park & Ride site adjacent to Junction 14 of the M1. It is anticipated that this will be completed in early 2009."

Hope this is useful

This actually makes things a lot easier because its walking distance to the MK Centre.

Just to make people aware of changes to coach travel

"From 19th April 2008 the Coachway will move from its current location at Junction 14 whilst a new coach passenger terminal is constructed. The site at Campbell Park was chosen after consultation with passengers, the coach companies, residents and parish councils.

Long distance coach services currently calling at Junction 14 will move to a temporary location between Montrose Street and Pilgrim Street, off Silbury Boulevard in Campbell Park, where facilities will include a waiting room, ticket office, toilets, 80 adjacent parking spaces and a café. The site will be well lit, have CCTV and 24-hour on-site security.

Services will operate from this location 24 hours a day. This includes all National Express services to London, Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Birmingham and many other locations as well as the MK1 commuter service to London City and Canary Wharf.

In the meantime, the ground is being prepared for a state-of-the-art passenger terminal building to be built on the new Park & Ride site adjacent to Junction 14 of the M1. It is anticipated that this will be completed in early 2009."

Hope this is useful

Hi all!

Just wondering if anyone knows if there will be any buses leaving the train station as the other day I booked a ticket and theres a bus from MK-Luton and I have been told the bus will leave outside the train station. Does anyone know if this is true?

I could do with finding out asap as I live in the middle of no-where and need to make the connections! Please help!:)

Yeah, I just had to do that getting home from Northampton to Stoke-on-Trent. Not particularly fun.

Actually - WTF?! There are NO trains after 8am Sunday morning!!!!

Edited by Psychosis

This is due to the railtrack's policy of doing work on the track over bank holiday weekends because it causes 'less disruption to rail passengers' . What they actually mean is that it causes less disruption to certain groups of rail passengers ie. buisnessmen. What annoys me is that they only take into account the number of people using the railways not the importance of the types of journey - most people traveling over bank holiday weekends will be going on holidays or visiting family ect. Events that may happen only a few times a year. Just another item on the long list of reasons why this country sucks.

Hi all!

Just wondering if anyone knows if there will be any buses leaving the train station as the other day I booked a ticket and theres a bus from MK-Luton and I have been told the bus will leave outside the train station. Does anyone know if this is true?

I could do with finding out asap as I live in the middle of no-where and need to make the connections! Please help!:)

As far as I'm aware there is no bus from CMK station to Luton, according to the following timetable the number 70 bus stops outside the Point cinema though (which is spitting distance of the shopping centre) http://www.miltonkeynes.com/images/stories...bles/M72538.pdf

According to the below link the number 70 bus replaces the X66.

http://www.bedfordtoday.co.uk/dunstable-ne...ticleid=3059243

Hi all!

As far as I'm aware there is no bus from CMK station to Luton, according to the following timetable the number 70 bus stops outside the Point cinema though (which is spitting distance of the shopping centre) http://www.miltonkeynes.com/images/stories...bles/M72538.pdf

in all honesty, I am unsure as to what bus it is as I don't get it myself, but my Irish friends who get a plance Belfast to Luton get the bus to the airport and back every time and it goes from the train station :D

surfy sah xx

Hi all!

in all honesty, I am unsure as to what bus it is as I don't get it myself, but my Irish friends who get a plance Belfast to Luton get the bus to the airport and back every time and it goes from the train station :D

surfy sah xx

On further investigation there is the Virgin bus VT99

See link for more info: http://www.mkdayout.btinternet.co.uk/bus.htm