Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows to be Split into Two Movies

nightprowler

Warner Bros is expected to officially announce plans to release the adaptation of the last and final Harry Potter book, split into two separate films. This makes more than perfect sense considering the 36 chapter plus epilogue book is a whopping 759 pages long. Fans have complained that the last two movies which suffered from plot compression. That’s probably because to hardcover releases of Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix ranged from 734 to 896 pages in length.

Warner Bros will release Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I in November 2010, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II six months later in May 2011. Both of the movies will be filmed concurrently. Screenwriter Steve Kloves, who wrote five of the fix films, is hard at work on both screenplays. Director David Yates, who directed both Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince (which began production in September) has already signed on for both sequels. Producer David Heyman explained to the LA Times:

“I swear to you it was born out of purely creative reasons. Unlike every other book, you cannot remove elements of this book. You can remove scenes of Ron playing quidditch from the fifth book, and you can remove Hermione and S.P.E.W. [society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare] and those subplots . . . but with the seventh, that can’t be done.†“The question will be, where do you break it? And how do you make them one but two separate and distinct stories? Do you break it with a moment of suspense or one of resolution? These are the interesting challenges. But each book has presented its challenges.â€

The official book synopsis: “It all comes down to this - a final faceoff between good and evil. You plan to pull out all the stops, but every time you solve one mystery, three more evolve. Do you stay the course you started, despite your lack of progress? Do you detour and follow a new lead that may not help? Do you listen to your instincts, or your friends? Lord Voldemort is preparing for battle and so must Harry. With Ron and Hermione at his side, he’s trying to hunt down Voldemort’s Horcruxes, escape danger at every turn, and find a way to defeat evil once and for all. How does it all end?â€

• 3 weeks later...

I think it is good if they do split it into 2 films, because as much as I love anything Harry Potter, I have always thought that the films seem to miss out so much detail and so many events because they are trying to fit it all into a 2 hour film. Splitting it into 2 parts definately seems like the best thing to do, especially as this is such a vital part and where it all ends.

Edited by Laurenx

As the films have progressed the makers have always been in the catch 22 situation of making it a long film, splitting it in to two films or cutting stuff out. With each option there would be an element of fandom who would not like it. I am glad that they have taken a bold step, and I do realise money is a big element, to split it in to two films.

I was surprized some people kicked up a fuss actually, as long as it's done in the right way, it means an extra movie for HP fans! Can't be bad at all in my view! Out of interest, at what point does everyone think it's be good to end the first part?

i think this is a good idea! harry potter is aimed at kids and some kids find it quite difficult to stay focused for that lenght of time, were they to make it 3+ hours plus you would find not only kids but adults alike thinking 'couldnt this have been shorter?'