Annoyance

I was at the comic stall (can't remember the name, it was the big one that was opposite Bruce Campbell) and while I was waiting to purchase something there was a customer talking to one of the sellers, fair enough, but what annoyed me was his 5-minute tirade of racism towards Americans "I hate Americans" he said, whilst waxing lyrical about the shows he liked, which all happened to have been created by, and starring Americans.

My wife (who is American, I am from Oxford) was incredibly upset and angry for the rest of the day.

It's a shame in this day and age that people still talk this way. This isn't aimed at anyone in particular (unless you are said racist) but I just wanted to point out my disappointment.

Edited by Chris Quartly

Whilst im all for the American ideal of Freedom of Speech and everybody is entitled to their opinion it is unfortunate that you happened across somebody venting their opinions in this manner, you would have thought that they would have had sense to not be so vocal bearing in mind that alot of the guests were American (bet they didnt mind going up and meeting them etc) as would be their minders and various others who may or may not have been with them.

I hope it didnt ruin the whole day as it was a great event.

For the record i believe that the problem isnt necessarily with All Americans per se rather the stereotypical 'yank' so to speak, you know the loud mouth, world conquering type that gets peoples back up, unfortunately they kinda ruin it for the vast majority of Americans who are decent hardworking people (and this is coming from someone who is very against the American mentality of international politics etc)

Freedom of speech?! Excellent, watch out for me at the next event, I'll be the guy with the big t-shirt with "I HATE NIGGERS" on it, ffs...

hate to say it but you obviously are slightly biased due to your partner whch is quite understandable.

"i hate americans" isnt racist "i hate niggers" quite simply is.

I agree on all points. Americans kicked the sh12 out of half the planet defending their "right" to free speech, and then they deny it to the rest of us ?

You have to concede that there is an internationally perceived "sterotypical" American / Yank. What if he has said "I hate those French - munching on their frogs legs and being grumpy" ? As said, your defence of your parner is admirable and understandable, but the guy didn't do anything they will lock him up for ....

I agree on all points. Americans kicked the sh12 out of half the planet defending their "right" to free speech, and then they deny it to the rest of us ?

If you look further back in history, us Brits don't exactly cover ourselves in glory either do we?

You have to concede that there is an internationally perceived "sterotypical" American / Yank. What if he has said "I hate those French - munching on their frogs legs and being grumpy" ? As said, your defence of your parner is admirable and understandable, but the guy didn't do anything they will lock him up for ....

I would have been upset if the person had made any kind of ill-informed remarks toward any type of person, in this day and age it really is unacceptable.

Xenophobia is just a watered down term for racism, and I find the general attitude here quite astonishing.

I didn't say he should be locked up, my main gripe was with his hypocrisy, if you want to have prejudice, go right ahead, but don't say s*** about the same type of people you've come to meet and admire.

I would have been upset if the person had made any kind of ill-informed remarks toward any type of person, in this day and age it really is unacceptable.

Was it ever really acceptable?

Xenophobia is just a watered down term for racism

that may or may not be true, but whilst I'm not a lawyer, I wouldn't advocate that as a sole defence to any charge arising from an "I hate N..." T-shirt

I didn't say he should be locked up, my main gripe was with his hypocrisy, if you want to have prejudice, go right ahead, but don't say s*** about the same type of people you've come to meet and admire.

My take on it? Don't let the guy upset you. A general stance of "I hate Americans", a simplistic tarring of 300 million people with the same brush, shows the guy to be at best unthinking about what he actually says, probably ignorant, and possibly stupid. Combine this with a concurrent professed admiration for numerous American shows and his going to visit American guests, and he's obviously as dumb as dung.

So basically the guy is demonstrably a richardhead AND remarkably stupid to boot; why in the hell would you let his opinion bother you? He's shown himself by his own words to be beneath contempt and his words beneath serious consideration. Walk on by, and afford yourself a quiet laugh at the guy's obvious stupidity.