How was today?

faythe

It was very quiet ( in fact some dealers were saying as quiet as Coventry last week ) but it did mean each of the signers could spend a reasonable time with the visitors

A big thank you to the crew

and a very big thank you to Sophie Aldred and Anthony Head who were exceptionally great !

This is the third one I've been to, and I have to say that it was the most chilled. The stalls were good and the guests really relaxed. I had some decent time to talk to both Dean Andrews and Marshall Lancaster from Life on Mars, and the other guests were just as cool. Special mention though must go to Michael Winslow from Police Academy, he spent ages doodling on the photo and it made it really unique. Sophie Aldred was a star too, letting folks round the table for a photo.

I was gutted about the guests canceling, but all in all it was the best one I've been to. The atmosphere just made it really special.

I didn't stay long, I had an early bird ticket already and got in very quickly, I only started to queue to get in at 8.40 and the queue was almost all inside waiting to get in rather than snaking down toward the Midland Hotel as usual. I was really surprised at just how quiet it was compared to other times I have been. Personally I think there was not as many stalls and the aisles seemed a lot broader than usual, but this could just be because there was so few people compared to normal. It is great for a one off but long term I hope it doesn't continue as it must affect the profitability and I would hate for the show to stop or get smaller. I got Emma's autograph and a couple of great prints from one stall which was all I really went for and was on the 10.25 train home, the quickest I have ever been!

got there at 10 had a mooch round the stalls spotting a few members of this forum along the way(catmoo twins,turkfox and silvernemesis i think)

my gf showed up around 11.30 and i went and got Doug Bradleys autograph - WE HAVE SUCH SIGHTS TO SHOW YOU was his message followed by a weird chat about dvd region codes started by his crew helper

it was pretty cool meeting 3 Horror icons in a week though

i then moved on to Kenny Baker who seemed a bit tired and quiet and got him to sign a R2 n 3p0 pic

had a gawp at Emma Caufield who was very pretty as was Chloe

bought a life size replica Stormtrooper helmet..............i ripped the box ..AAARRRGHHHH!!!

went to Micheal Winslows talk V FUNNY! and which had some great Star Wars impersonations then it was another bit of a shop followed by Tony Heads talk which was great apart from the vvvvvvvvv very o..o...o...o...o..o...odd questions about Buffy and Police Academy being released on 3..3...3...3...d (if you were there youll know what im talking about)

i shopped some more and then got off at 3

it was a niced chilled afternoon in all

and ill be back tommorow for Richard Franklyns auto

got there at 10 had a mooch round the stalls spotting a few members of this forum along the way(catmoo twins,turkfox and silvernemesis i think)

my gf showed up around 11.30 and i went and got Doug Bradleys autograph - WE HAVE SUCH SIGHTS TO SHOW YOU was his message followed by a chat about dvd region codes started by his crew helper

it was pretty cool meeting 3 Horror icons in a week though

i then moved on to Kenny Baker who seemed a bit tired and quiet and got him to sign a R2 n 3p0 pic

had a gawp at Emma Caufield................very pretty as was Chloe

bought a life size replica Stormtrooper helmet..............i ripped the box ..AAARRRGHHHH!!!

went to Micheal Winslows talk V FUNNY! and which had some great Star Wars impersonations then it was another bit of a shop followed by Tony Heads talk which was great apart from the vvvvvvvvv very o..o...o...o...o..o...odd questions about Buffy and Police Academy being released on 3..3...3...3...d (if you were there youll know what im talking about)

i shopped some more and then got off at 3

it was a niced chilled afternoon in all

and ill be back tommorow for Richard Franklyns auto

Hoper you can get Anthony Daniels too but have heard he can be a bit funny about signing something which Kenny has signed first.

Hoper you can get Anthony Daniels too but have heard he can be a bit funny about signing something which Kenny has signed first.

so i guess most people are right then...........maybe he is a **** after all

i got two signed kenny pics..i wasnt keen on the first so i got a new one today

ive been an SW fan since it was originally released..if hes going to be like that maybe its best not bothering

whenever i watch Star Wars i dont want to think C3P0 "what a ****!"

Well, it sounds great. I can't wait to meet Emma tomorow.

Did anyone notice any Death Note merchandise though?

I didn't have a proper look as I was crewing but I noticed a stall with Death Note merch on it.

I think i saw some death note.

This was my first event and really enjoyed it. I met Jimmy, Noah, Antony, Chole and Emma. They were all really nice. Went to antony's and heroes talk.

I bought a picture off Hayden Panettierre and Summer Glau, some heroe trading cards. and a heroes picture with 11 pics on so got noah to sign it.

I went today.

It's only the second Collectormania Manchester I've been to (the last one being a couple of years ago when Jorge Garcia was signing).

I met Emma Caulfield who was really nice. I didn't have a long conversation but that was mainly my fault for being so nervous and shy but she was really nice about it and let my sister and I take photos.

The vibe seemed more chilled to me, less hustle. I did arrive at 1pm though so that may be why. I

It was ok but I would have liked to have met Hayden Panettiere if she hadn't cancelled.

Tony Heads talk which was great apart from the vvvvvvvvv very o..o...o...o...o..o...odd questions about Buffy and Police Academy being released on 3..3...3...3...d (if you were there youll know what im talking about)

now I think thats a little unfair... At least Tony handled it really well... You shouldnt mock!!:blink:

(and Buffy would be ace in 3D!!)

As far as I can tell Anthony Daniels reputation for being unfriendly and difficult is just that...a reputation. It bears no resemblance to the actual guy when you meet him. When I met him some years ago he was very friendly and a perfect English gent. He may be a bit of a 'luvvie' but I think thats fair enough.

As I have said before on the forums, if you have a bad experience with a guest I think you have to look at yourself first. Read Wil Wheaton's (Star Trek's Wesley Crusher) article about being a convention goer and a convention guest and see if some of the things apply to you http://suicidegirls.com/news/geek/22107/

PS. I particularly agree with Wil's point about people taking a shower every day. How many people at the show today walked passed someone with serious BO.

[Hoper you're successful with Anthony Daniels but have heard he can be a bit funny about signing something which Kenny has signed first. Must admit, I'm not taking any chances and getting AD as the first signature just in case.

so i guess most people are right then...........maybe he is a **** after all

i got two signed kenny pics..i wasnt keen on the first which was provided by the organizers of another con i went to in Blackpool last year so i got a new one today

ive been an SW fan since it was originally released..if hes going to be like that maybe its best not bothering

whenever i watch Star Wars i dont want to think C3P0 "what a ****!"

Edited by gobo1979uk

im not being mean

it was a bananas question asked at both talks i visited and not helped by the poor guys stutter

Micheal Winslow handled it well but l i swear Tony looked like he was on the brink of ******* himself

i loved his "EH?" remark...because in all honesty thats what a lot of us were thinking

shame on those that were sniggering!

i dont think the guy should hold his breath for Police Acadamey Mission To Moscow in 3D being on the horizon any time this lifetime soon

as for the "if you have a bad experiance with a guest you should look at yourself" comment above

to quote Bruce Campbell ..WELL HELLO MR FANCY PANTS!!

if a star wants to act a diva that has nowt to do with me....i pays the money do the chit chat and im off

i have heard many a rumour about Mr Daniels being more the camp prima donna than his golden alter ego is and the story of the SW crew mooning Daniels due to his attitude on set IS true

ive never had a bad experiance with a guest as most have been chatty and polite and yes i do shower once a day and you know sometimes maybe even if i feel like it i shower TWICE!

"read Wil Wheatons comments...."

oh dear

i dont intend to but i can guess

were not all smelly loners with social problems (nowt wrong with that some of my best freinds and relatives are smelly loners with social problems)

we do put SOME money aside for toiletries

it doesnt all go on action figures,signed pics and dvds ya know.

Edited by vintageSW77

Actually, Vintage2001bc, Wil Wheatons piece is quite insightful, as he tells it from both sides, fanboy, geek, and recipient of geekdom fanboy adoration.

Then also find his William F'ing Shatner story, and find out how the crew on Trek think Shatner is more of an bottom than Daniels is alleged.

I take it that this show was a lot quieter than the last GMEX show? oh oh...

Why would he be funny about it? Thats really bad i got a pic with them both on today in hopes that when anthony comes to a showmasters event i can get him to sign it.

Want to hear it from someone who has actually met AD?

I met him as another show... must have been 6 years ago? I met him with my Brother, his then Gf, and my then bf. I think it was his ex (anna) who got the auto. It wasn't a rushed queue... in fact, I think it was with open or short queue, so people were able to talk to him.

He TOTALLY ignored me and Anna. Didn't look at her once, even though it was to her. I spoke to him, and nothing. And if you've met me, you'd know there is no way he wouldn't have heard me! I had to get, i think my ex, to ask him the qn, and he was soo sweetness and nice to him and my brother. I was SO upset... not a big star wars fan, but everyone knows C3PO. He was obv gay, and VERY flirty with my brother, but just wouldn't look at me or Anna AT ALL. I was disgusted. One of my best friends is gay, but hes not like that.

Put simply- if you're a guy, you'll be ok. If you're a girl with a guy, don't expect to be the one he looks at... or talks to. Or treats well.

Want to hear it from someone who has actually met AD?

I met him as another show... must have been 6 years ago? I met him with my Brother, his then Gf, and my then bf. I think it was his ex (anna) who got the auto. It wasn't a rushed queue... in fact, I think it was with open or short queue, so people were able to talk to him.

He TOTALLY ignored me and Anna. Didn't look at her once, even though it was to her. I spoke to him, and nothing. And if you've met me, you'd know there is no way he wouldn't have heard me! I had to get, i think my ex, to ask him the qn, and he was soo sweetness and nice to him and my brother. I was SO upset... not a big star wars fan, but everyone knows C3PO. He was obv gay, and VERY flirty with my brother, but just wouldn't look at me or Anna AT ALL. I was disgusted. One of my best friends is gay, but hes not like that.

Put simply- if you're a guy, you'll be ok. If you're a girl with a guy, don't expect to be the one he looks at... or talks to. Or treats well.

Total Shock,thats so odd, what a strange rude man.

well there goes my plan. :thumbup:

Do you know if he has done any showmasters events in last few years?

Edited by lovbug

Not that I've seen... just this one a while back, and the one end of this month. Unless he's done an Empire or something, I wouldn't know about that.

I'm never usually insulting about a guest when I meet them. I usually go "well they were a bit blah" but I was just :thumbup: about AD, so I thought I'd say that. It may have been a one off, but I've heard other similar experiences...

I had the IMMENSE pleasure of working alongside Anthony at Celebration Europe this year for all threew days of the convention and in all of the time over the weekend he wasn't snippy with anyone once, he was cordial, funny and a great sport.

He has a rep but like anyone else I'm sure he has crappy days and the rep is self perpetuating anyway (like JCB's rep). if you expect him to be a idiot then you will looking for things to call him out on so you too can have you 'anthony daniels story'.

Back on topic though - I'm really looking forward to tomorrow but I think that for a change Sunday might be a touch busier...

Edited by abstractharmony