Have Showmaster over-extended themselves ?

How can you say the organisers cannot factor this in? If they have (for example) 200 guests willing to do events in one year, then if you have 10 events, that averages 20 a show. If you have 5 events, that is 40 a show (much like the first G Mex).

And as people have said time and time again, which you seem to be either missing every time or just plain ignoring..guests are only available at specific times due to work commitments for each..

By having 10 events, then the chance of a guest being free on one of those dates is a lot higher than just 5..it may be the case that their not available for say MK or london or manchester, but might be available for say one of the midlands events..

So if that event hadnt happened, then guest would not be able to attend, therefor people would miss out. Now im only using midlands as an example, as the newest event, but what if Bruce campbell was ONLY available for the forseeable future on that one weekend (and he may well have been!)..because that event was there, people could meet him..if it hadnt taken place, and he wasnt available for manchester or indeed any other show thats currently planned, then no-one would have met him..

I'm not ignoring that fact. But even if you assume that 50 of the 200 potential guests can't make any of the 5 available dayes, the average per event is STILL going to be higher.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not going to quote the post because it was miles back but one thing I think we could think about is whether more guests would improve the atmosphere at an event for whatever reason. I can tell you that in Manchester there were 14 guests on the Saturday and I think similar on Sunday and the place felt dead. There were moments of good stuff but overall it was stupidly quiet.

Now I am not sure what the reasons are but something was going on and since Coventry had been introduced it does make you wonder.

I agree with whoever suggested one Manchester and one Midlands a year. To me that makes sense and a few of us were talking about it over the weekend.

Not going to quote the post because it was miles back but one thing I think we could think about is whether more guests would improve the atmosphere at an event for whatever reason. I can tell you that in Manchester there were 14 guests on the Saturday and I think similar on Sunday and the place felt dead. There were moments of good stuff but overall it was stupidly quiet.

Now I am not sure what the reasons are but something was going on and since Coventry had been introduced it does make you wonder.

I agree with whoever suggested one Manchester and one Midlands a year. To me that makes sense and a few of us were talking about it over the weekend.

From my point of view, Midlands was much easier to get to and had a brilliant atmosphere. It was also cheaper because I didn't have to fork out for bed and breakfast. Maybe Manchester has had its day as none have been as popular as Gmex 1. Midlands needs to be twice a year and maybe cancel the other on altogether.

Before Midlands, everyone was saying that Coventry was a good location because it was central. Now, I live about an hour's drive from Coventry, but it took me FOUR HOURS to get there and the same back on the train (four trains each way, too). And for emphasis: 4. Yes. Really.

So I'd like to put in a vote for Nottingham/Derby/Leicester for Midlands instead because they're not impossible to get to. And a vote for Cardiff if you feel like replacing Midlands, because although the journey is the same length, it's much easier and I could make a weekend of it.

Chris_mk, if I work out who you are, I'm going to come and shake your hand at the next event you're at - you've expressed some of my own views well in this thread! ^_^

From my point of view, Midlands was much easier to get to and had a brilliant atmosphere. It was also cheaper because I didn't have to fork out for bed and breakfast. Maybe Manchester has had its day as none have been as popular as Gmex 1. Midlands needs to be twice a year and maybe cancel the other on altogether.

Frankly, i completely disagree with this. If any event were to be stopped altogether it should be Midlands not Manchester. The reason for this is simple - if Midlands is cancelled it won't prevent as many people from attending an event as if Manchester was cancelled. Some people can only get to Manchester. but i am pretty sure than if Midlands was cancelled many people would still be able to get to either Milton Keynes or Manchester.

Simply, if any event is to be cancelled it should be Midlands not any of the others as the Midlands one isn't as important in covering all the regions of the country. Milton Keynes, Manchester and Glasgow events each cover a significant area of the UK and each have regular attendees that can only make those particular events. However, many that attend the Midlands one could still quite easily get to either Milton Keynes or Manchester.

It seems that everyone has their own agenda/opinions on where the shows should be held, that said that doesnt mean that each and every point is valid and worth exploring.

I attended my first ever SM event in Coventry and as discussed elsewhere on the forums i loved every minute of it. Coventry was only a couple of hours away and i stayed nearby overnight on the Friday and popped into Coventry for a meal. With that in mind i would have been just as likely to go to Manchester for the calibre of guests (would have travelled there for Bruce Campbell alone) although it is clearly a lot further for me to go and a bigger pain in the ass.

By having various events in different parts of the country SM are catering for as many people as they can. Sure youll have the hardcore convention goers who will fork out to attend as many as possible and clearly adding extra events may not be beneficial to them. For the casual attender though its great to have an event so close by (Midlands) and by also continuing the events elsewhere casula users in those areas can also attend without having to travel a long way (unless theres a guest they really really want to see).

Yes its a shame that some people see the calibre of guests at the recent Manchester event as not that great (in truth there was no-one there that i would have had a dying need to go and see there, especially after forking out so much money at the Midlands event), but SM are doing the best they can to get the guests they can and from what ive read on the forums alot of people had a great time at Manchester.

In closing from my point of view its a case of carry on as you are SM, from small acorns mighty oak trees can grow and all that, and heres to meeting Face and Murdoch in November :)

Frankly, i completely disagree with this. If any event were to be stopped altogether it should be Midlands not Manchester. The reason for this is simple - if Midlands is cancelled it won't prevent as many people from attending an event as if Manchester was cancelled. Some people can only get to Manchester. but i am pretty sure than if Midlands was cancelled many people would still be able to get to either Milton Keynes or Manchester.

Simply, if any event is to be cancelled it should be Midlands not any of the others as the Midlands one isn't as important in covering all the regions of the country. Milton Keynes, Manchester and Glasgow events each cover a significant area of the UK and each have regular attendees that can only make those particular events. However, many that attend the Midlands one could still quite easily get to either Milton Keynes or Manchester.

I'm not going to argue with a fellow Welshman but Midlands is nearer for a lot of people. Mk is great - I agree with a post already on thi9s site, you will never please everybody and it might be a better idea to have Midlands and Manchester once a year each - Manchester in Spring and Midlands in Summer. Role on Collectormani Cardiff I say :borg:

I'm not going to argue with a fellow Welshman but Midlands is nearer for a lot of people. Mk is great - I agree with a post already on thi9s site, you will never please everybody and it might be a better idea to have Midlands and Manchester once a year each - Manchester in Spring and Midlands in Summer. Role on Collectormani Cardiff I say

I could certainly agree with having one Midlands and one Manchester a year. I was responding to the user who said that Manchester should stop completely and Midlands continue which i would completely disagree with as it would be completely unfair. One of each wouldn't be a bad idea though. For now though i am quite happy with two a year of each but if problems did arise cutting both down to one would be a fair solution.