Bruce Campbell - What was your expereince like?

nicky

Seeing as he didnt have a talk lets share info on what he said to us and what we asked him at the desk.

I firstly thanked him for the email reply he sent me a couple weeks back. I then asked about his departure from the lead role in Darkman (1990) but it turns out he was never down for the role to begin with but did a lot of the voices and screams. The name given to his character, "final shemp" (at the end) is explained how it got its name in his book but he didnt tell me what it meant exactly.

I asked if it was true he was producing The Evil Dead remake. Very sternly he said: "There isn't going to be any remake or sequel. That's just what you read on imdb, I don't write that stuff".

I told him I read his "The Autograph Thing" blog (about why he refuses to send autos out in the post) on his website and that I respected it and knew what he was getting at. "That's what these things (cons) are for!" he said. I told him that what it means to me to get his auto now is that I can watch his films and say to myself, "yep I met him, he was cool, he even signed the poster, but I totally get what you said in the blog".

I got two personalisations on my sigs out of three. I think I might have been the only one??:

On my Darkman (1990) poster he wrote, "I was not in this movie! (guy at the end) - Bruce Campbell".

On my Escape from LA (1996) poster, "Nicky, I'll carve his eye out! - Bruce Campbell, Surgeon General" and he also drew a big arrow pointing to Snake's eye-patch. These two personal msgs kinda made up for the fact that I didnt get a pic with him and I guess he wrote them cos he had something to say about them and what I'd said and that he didn't sign many of them :D

Edited by nicky

he signed and dated my Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie saying it was the very first one he had ever signed. Yay Me

he signed my firends Xena box set asking if his wife's stuff is on it, not sure what she does for a living tho... he then signed it and wrote "ill take this" and his character name.

He only signed my stuff with the generic Hey Stuart but i did get to have a chat with him.

Id brought Tornado on dvd for signing and his initial reaction was 'what the hell is this?' 'My god havent seen one of these in a looooonng time'

Then he asked why i had brought it and i told him that as Ernie was in it i was going to get them both to sign.

He then shared a story with me about how Ernie had just left the army when they shot Tornado and that he didnt know who Bruce was. They did a scene together where Bruce opened a cellar door whilst Ernie was down below and as the camera looked up at Bruce and he was lit from behind it looked almost like the cellar door opening in Evil Dead. Ernie had just seen the film and instantly shouted 'Youre the guy from the Evil Dead films'. Bruce seemed to think this story was quite funny. My girlfriend got my Evil Dead poster signed for my birthday and when he found out it was for my birthday Bruce wished me happy birthday too!!!!

When i went to Ernie he said that he had never had to sign a Tornado dvd and really struggled to think of what to write, he eventually went with Stay Out Of The Storm. When i mentioned Bruce had said that Ernie hadnt known who he was he retold me the exact same story, again with a big grin on his face.

Those moments alone made my day complete.

And all thats without mentioning the chat i had with Robert!!!

I got personalisations on both

I have a photo that says 'hey lauren gimme some sugar'

and shop smart on a army of darkness poster

He was lovely to me throughout the day, only calling me love and honey!

He was perfect for me, just as I had always dreamt of!

I was going to get Congo signed but went with Tornado as they actually star together rather than Bruce being in just the opening of the film, dying and then Ernie being in the rest of it, they dont even share screen time!!!

Just read that back and its in no way an inditement of Congo, its a good film and quality you got Bruce to sign it, just wasnt for me.

Bruce being in just the opening of the film,
Bruce tends to stick to cameos for big Hollywood films and takes lead roles only in low-profile/low-budget affairs - I should have asked him why. Maybe it's cos he doesnt like too much attention and doesnt wanna be a sell-out (unlike Sam Raimi). Even two of the sigs I got from him were for cameo appearences and they werent even Spider-Man films. One of the cameos he's on screen for a few seconds but doesn't even say anything (though he did some of the screams and voices throughout.) Edited by nicky

I've read that lots of people asked him about my name is bruce, were people asking if it's coming out over here and if there's any idea of a release date? :borg:

He said it's gonna be much like Bubba inasmuch as it will get a limited release in the States, then getting released on DVD worldwide. He didn't have a date but said this was definitely the year, "no more crapping around!" :hathor:

He said it's gonna be much like Bubba inasmuch as it will get a limited release in the States, then getting released on DVD worldwide. He didn't have a date but said this was definitely the year, "no more crapping around!" :uhoh:

And great to hear that Pompey87 I can't wait for it to come out over here :D

Edited by Catmoo

• 11 months later...

many years ago i wrote an army of darkness fanfiction. and i had the sole purpose of giving it to him if i ever got the chance....

and so i did!!!

i will have no idea if he takes it home and reads it or simply passes it off as a nutcase-fan syndrome type thingy, but i hope he likes it

it is to my knowledge the only piece of written work set around the original post apocaliptic ending to AoD, as every comic/computer game is set around the alternate S-Mart ending

plus i missed the photoshoot sessions so couldnt get my piccy taken which has done my head in big time

• 4 weeks later...
it is to my knowledge the only piece of written work set around the original post apocaliptic ending to AoD,
Well AOD has a lot of fans and alot of people write fan fiction. I'm guessing others have written a story based on the oroginal ending but just havnt had it published obviously cos they arent licensed to.

• 3 months later...

Hey Nicky, you said in this thread you sent Bruce an email, I know it's supposed to be a poorly kept secret what his email is but I haven't found it, don't suppose you could tell me?

Hey Nicky, you said in this thread you sent Bruce an email, I know it's supposed to be a poorly kept secret what his email is but I haven't found it, don't suppose you could tell me?

I thought Bruce was in great form at this con, though I did suffer a bit of "s***, I don't know what to say!" when I actually got to meet him.

• 1 month later...

He was a great guy I didnt realy say much to him but im a fan of the evil dead's.

I got the special edition evil dead DVD sighned the dvd case looks like the book of

the dead in the movie.

when i went up to him and handed him the dvd he said to me oh i remember these they smell like

high school gym lockers it made me laugh and then he said to me do yourself a favour

burn this book and i laughed again he sighned it and also wrote burn this book and put his

caracter name ASH i shook his hand and walked away.

It would be great to meet him again. :(

• 2 months later...

He called me a weirdo. several times. I had three items signed, and got personalisations on all of them. He signed and personalised an sm supplied pic for myself and one for a friend of mine, and wrote 'burn this' in my special edition book of the dead. Then I caused him distress lol. He winced at my book of the dead and said 'never seen one of these before!' so I told him I'd been looking everywhere for something from my favourite film for him to sign but couldn't find anything. He was like uh huh, not really listening, when I said ' So do you have any plans to go back to Purgatory. He stopped, looked at me in horror, and said 'what?' I said 'Purgatory... What happened to Mardulak next?' and he said ' You mean Sundown?? That's your favourite film?' I said yes, and he said ... ' whhhhhhy???' Then we had a good old chat about Sundown The vampire in retreat, he called me a weirdo several times, told me some stories about the set (mainly about one of the leads having problems and hiding in coffins so he could jump out and scare the child actors) and as I was going he announced to the person behind me that I was a weirdo. Saw him outside later, he jumped out of a taxi - guess he'd been for lunch or something - grinned and waved, then pointed at me and told everyone outside that I was weird and to watch out for me. One of my favourite guests ever, LOVED him.