My thoughts on the Midlands event

lovbug

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought consdering it was the first CM Midlands it went very well.

The arena was a good location and size, with good facilities and a good range of stalls (many the same as at other Showmasters events, but it's what we love :P )

Also liked it that all the guests were along one wall and the photo shoot area was near. I get so confused at MK with the guests lined up on opposite walls!

Shame there weren't more guests, but I think there was a good mix for many fans. Can't complain really as Bruce totally made up for it! The years of waiting are over! :D

The car parking price can't be sniffed at either!

All in all I think it was a great event and can't wait for the next one!

For next time, roughly 5 minutes walk from the arena is a massive Tesco extra, a Marks and Spencers, Borders, Burger King and Pizza Hut. None of which seemed above their normal rates.

I know about the tescos and all that, I was staying on the other side and had to walk through it on the sunday morning :blink: It took a bit longer than 5 mins to walk it though! Id prob say 10-15 mins when you take into account walking all the way around the ricoh too, and it was freezing cold.

I didnt go there for food as I didnt really have time, and my coat was in the baggage hold thingy, so id have had to get it out, paid another £1 to put my bag back in, spend 30-45 mins just to get a quick snack then rush back..not good when I only had a few hours there so was easier just to wait till after the event.

That's just because you DIDN'T HAVE A MAP. Oxford is fine. And I second the notion to have one in the lovely city. *shifty eyes*

Hey, no public humiliation of the fact that I couldn't find my way out of Coventry to get to Oxford hehe. As it turns out, my back up plan was right :D

If your back up plan hadn't taken 2 HOURS when it only had to take 45 minutes I would have refrained. And actually got to see the whole gig. *pointed looks* Baby brother is in trouble for running red lights and being flashed.

That's just because you DIDN'T HAVE A MAP. Oxford is fine. And I second the notion to have one in the lovely city. *shifty eyes*

Hey, no public humiliation of the fact that I couldn't find my way out of Coventry to get to Oxford hehe. As it turns out, my back up plan was right :angel:

If your back up plan hadn't taken 2 HOURS when it only had to take 45 minutes I would have refrained. And actually got to see the whole gig. *pointed looks* Baby brother is in trouble for running red lights and being flashed.

Sorry hun, wont happen again *looks sheepishly*

Not really the appropriate place for this but just wanted to give a thanks to the woman who guided me through my first ever Collectormania show.

Didnt catch her name, i do know the following though

She was there with two guys, one called Ade and the other called Brent

She was an old hand at the convention scene

She had a friend on the crew and had helped set up the tables the night before

She was mainly there for the Bruce

I was behind her in the Early Bird queue to get in on the Saturday and she was behind me in the queue for the Bruce photoshoot.

Smallish woman with short hair, glasses and big grin after getting to hug the Mighty Bruce

Anyhow whoever you are, and i really should have asked, thanks for the advice (directions to get a head start to the autograph tables), and joining me in loitering for the Bruce shoot so we could get in first. Hope your Bruce picture came out as good for you as mine did for me and hopefully youll enjoy Eclipse (that said i have no doubt you will the way you went on about it :D

Who knows, may catch ya agin at another Collectormania event in the future, not Manchester though as im bloody skint now, really want to goto the London event to meet Brad and Greg (ory) but just found out that ive got another baby on the way to join my 2 year old (literally lnly found out yesterday). If its a boy im not sure if itll be Ash, Bruce or the name i always wanted to go with Jake Elwood

Anyhow i digress, thanks again

Oh and a shout out to the guy giving out tickets to the Bruce Campbell table who raised a good point about my Richard Pryor t-shirt and the legend that is The Pryor and the guy who ran the queue for the Bruce photshoot, oh and whilst im at it the girl who ran the whiteboard, you all made me feel most welcome and i cant wait to attend another Collectormania event again soon

Sorry i dont have your names but im a bit crap like that

There are others too, the guys at the Hattie talk, the girl sat with Ernie and blah blah blah, anyone who knows who any of these people are please pint me in their direction and ill thank them personally

I thought the event was great, (especially as I live in Coventry), and that all of the staff were also very helpful and friendly. Having only ever visited the 'other' show, the whole vibe felt different and somehow friendlier - everyone there (the guests, the stallholders and the public), all seemed really chilled and relaxed, which I think is fantastic.

It has left such a good impression that we'll definitely be going to the next Midlands show and possibly one or more of the other shows.

I'm a Coventry City fan, and I've got to say that my visit to the show was the happiest I've been in the Ricoh Arena!

(Whether this is a measure of how happy I was with meeting Bruce Campbell and the show in general, or a damning indictment of how poor Coventry City are is undecided. Probably a mixture of both)!

Regarding someone's suggestion of the Nottingham Ice Arena, I'd have some reservations - and not because it wouldn't be in Coventry. We went there a couple of weeks ago to see a Smashing Pumpkins gig, but spent a good 15 minutes driving round trying to find the place (despite having printed route instructions beforehand), another 15 minutes trying to find parking and about 10 minutes walking to the venue. We didn't see any signs anywhere for the arena, which we found unusual for somewhere so large. As such, it could be quite awkward for people unfamiliar with Nottinghams rather odd City Centre layout to get to.

(Incidentally, I quite like Nottingham, especially Rock City - had some great nights there - just a bit concerned that people might struggle to find / get to the Ice Arena)

Anyway, thanks to everyone involved with the show; I thought it was great, and am looking forward to the next one (that I can afford to go to!)

Cheers !!

• 2 months later...

The Collectormania Midlands event was the best one ever! The only problem is that it's such a high benchmark that other shows just can't match it! I loved the fact that the guests took so much time with you, even huge stars like Brent Spinner, George Takei, Robert Englund and Bruce Campbell. A big thank you to showmasters for putting the event together. The highlight for me was meeting Bruce Campbell, he was exactly how you imagine - Hail to the King!

Would it be possible to bring Burce Campbell back and have a talk this time? - perhaps an Evil Dead reunion? (the evil dead girls regularly sign at conventions.)

OR what about a Hercules and Xena reunion you could bring the stars Kevin Sorbo, Lucy Lawless, Michael Hurst and Renee O'Connor and some of the regular guests (like Bruce Campbell!!!!!)Cheers!

:yoda:

Edited by catfromouterspace57

The Collectormania Midlands event was the best one ever! The only problem is that it's such a high benchmark that other shows just can't match it! I loved the fact that the guests took so much time with you, even huge stars like Brent Spinner, George Takei, Robert Englund and Bruce Campbell. A big thank you to showmasters for putting the event together. The highlight for me was meeting Bruce Campbell, he was exactly how you imagine - Hail to the King!

Would it be possible to bring Burce Campbell back and have a talk this time? - perhaps an Evil Dead reunion? (the evil dead girls regularly sign at conventions.)

OR what about a Hercules and Xena reunion you could bring the stars Kevin Sorbo, Lucy Lawless, Michael Hurst and Renee O'Connor and some of the regular guests (like Bruce Campbell!!!!!)Cheers!

:yoda:

Yes Bruce wasa excellent but I dont think he will be back for a while - Showmasters once said that it has taken up to 5 years to get him to this one - one plus of the writers strike earlier this year.