My thoughts on the Midlands event

lovbug

EXCELLENT!

Firstly the guests were great. Big guests such as Bruce and Brent mixed with classic fan favoiurite guests like Robert and Kenny. ALL the guests seemed really happy and in high spirits.They were really relaxed i saw many of them looking around stores, and was nice to see them not get harrased by people. Everyone was able to take photos of the guests, with to my knowledge only Bruce not allowing posed photos (which i think is quite understandable considering how many people wanted to meet him). Staff were extremly helpfull and took some good photos of me and my boyfriend at the signing table with guest.

The layout was good, everything was easy to find, there were loads of stores selling a mixture of things. I was pleased to see that in the talk area they left more room for people to get out. Which for somone larger (like me) was quite an unecessary sqeeze at Gmex last year. The talks i attended were my best yet (George and the star trek talk).

I had 3 photo shoots, the girls and boy at the photo area did a great job, they were extremly friendly and happy. Putting everyone at ease. The photographer did a FANTASTIC job. It didnt feel too rushed and he made sure that all the pictures were not only correct ie (blinking, lightling etc) but he even tried hard to make the photos look the most flattering for you.

The venue was great, i personaly found it an easy drive to get there. Once there the parking for just £3 was very very good, and the carpark was super easy to find. The place was clean even alittle posh. We was greated by a showmasters staff memeber when we went in who showed us which que we needed to be in. My only negative thing about this was how the que moved , and moved again :blink:

I think ive pretty much covered everything, the virtual que system worked very well. And there were boards put up explaining how every aspect of the event was gonna work. And the white board was always up to date. The free signature was a nice bonus too.

I think everyone at showmasters did an amazing job at this event. It was the best one i have attended and considering that it was a new venue is just wow.

Thank you showmasters, I give conventry two big thumbs up ! :D

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed! It was really good... I know people are saying "oh it wasn't busy, it was empty" blah blah blah... but I think I've been to nearly every SM event for the past few years, so I'd say I'm not such a bad judge... Yea there were open queues, but they were steady, the stalls were still busy, the talk was busy... I think for the first one, in Coventry so not the easiest place to get to,I think it was a good turn out! I saw a few new faces there too... Sorry if I saw anyone and didn't say hi- I was in a mega rush as I had to be out by straight after the Trek talk unfortunately!

The only thing I didn't like was I wasn't feeling too great, but not SM's prob hehe! Oh, that and I was was walkin round the stalls, and one big guy barged past me stuffing his face with crisps :D and the smell was gross! I was feelin sick n not steady on my feet... thats the one thing I can't stand, bein barged past, esp when its not that busy :blink:

This was my first Collectormania event so i dont have anything to compare it to. I have been to 'the other one' in Birmingham a couple of years ago and this was far and away a better event.

Wont go over old ground but everything written above is sooooooo true.

This was my first Collectormania event so i dont have anything to compare it to. I have been to 'the other one' in Birmingham a couple of years ago and this was far and away a better event.

Wont go over old ground but everything written above is sooooooo true.

Exactly the same situation, but for my first Collectormania i thought everything was set up extremely well and it was very well organised.

This was my first collectormania to its wasn't to busy but it wasn't dead. I enjoyed it especially Georges talk it was one of the highlights of the day for me a very funny man I think it was a great start of a new collectormania I thinks :chair:

I think I saw a few people didn't say hi was to scared :WINCE:

I enjoyed the event, I only went for two guests Leonard Roberts and Bruce Campbell. Although the stalls wasn't overly great (all the other SM events I have attended have been really good) there was enough to have a look around. It just felt like something was missing from the event.

The shuttle bus was a fantastic idea!

Cheers SM had a good day out!

The coaches were a great idea and were very welcome. One thing I would say though is that I was under the impression that the coaches would be going to the venue and back to the railway station for most of the day (with a break for lunch). It seemed they werent taking people back to station until after 2pm. In my case, I was done by 10.30 and had to kill a LOT of time before 2 and it was really hard!

BUt thats a personal grumble and you cant grumble too much about a service that was free! :chair:

The coaches were a great idea and were very welcome. One thing I would say though is that I was under the impression that the coaches would be going to the venue and back to the railway station for most of the day (with a break for lunch). It seemed they werent taking people back to station until after 2pm. In my case, I was done by 10.30 and had to kill a LOT of time before 2 and it was really hard!

BUt thats a personal grumble and you cant grumble too much about a service that was free! :chair:

I think it read that they would be heading to the Ricoh till lunchtime then a break , then heading back in the afternoon

But a great bonus for guests arriving in town wasnt it

Have to agree. I've been going to events coming on 3 years and this was one of the best I've been to. Guests were brilliant, staff were brilliant. It was well set out inside and Coventry itself was easy to find considering the 3 hours it took to get here.

Dealers stalls were also great.

Here's hoping that this event continues for a long time to come. :smile:

i thought it was quite good as well

only met leonard and mads because already met most of the others.

both were really great guys and even though they had photo sessions they still let you a have a photo with them when you got their autograph whis was great!! ;)

it was set out really well and there's plenty of space.

it's a good place

i approve :smile:

My only moan was that you had to go outside in the freezing wind to use the toilet!

err Fry sorry to tell you now but there was a men's toilet on the back wall about mid way from the talk area to the photo shoot area. There was also 2 sets of ladies toilets and disabled toilets.

The venue was great, plenty of space, nice and bright, lots of seating and food/drinks available. Not being too crowded meant that we really got a chance to check out all the of merchandise for a change :thumbup:

I hope there are more and that there are more guests. Hi lights were Bruce Campbell and the George and Leonard talk :lol:

I had a really nice time.

The event was well organised and the talks I went to all seemed to start reasonably on schedule. The free coaches were a real help, thank you very much for that.

My only complaint was the only guest I went to meet, Leonard Roberts did not have any Buffy photos for his autographs. I was surprised he didn't, as he had his role on Buffy listed under his picture and on the flyers.

I liked it, as in thats a good thing not a complaint!

Nice and relaxed, not too big yet not too small either, toilets, and a free cashpoint just outside the hall doors!

Two things id possibly complain about..the food was stupidly priced, but then thats not SM's fault, and I was still around anyway when the arena shops reduced everything to £1 so took advantage then hehe, and the other thing again isnt SM's fault, but the 1 and only time tried using the free bus, I/we couldnt due to their stupid timings.

In the morning we walked to the arena from the b&b I was staying in, but at the end of the day me and my friend left just before 4, to get the 4pm bus to the station. Got on the bus, sat their waiting, then started talking about trains and the driver heard us and said the 4pm bus had actually left before 4, and the one we were on was the 4:30! In the end we had to call a taxi which took ages to arrive, so my friend missed the bus.

Nice place, great event, not so good food or transport!

My only moan was that you had to go outside in the freezing wind to use the toilet!

No you didn't. We were directed to use the one in the restaurant opposite plus there were loos inside the venue.

In the morning, just after 8am on Saturday, they shut the restaurant ones opposite the ticket windows and you did have to walk outside...although I couldn't find the toilet...so after needing to go for a widdle since we got there at 7:15, when we got our tickets I ran (and I don't. At all) to get my Bruce ticket and photshoot ticket and then scampered to the loo.

It was a sight to be seen!

I have no sense of direction!

I thought it was great that there were places to sit and chill out too, loved checking out all the stalls...I was the one squealing "I used to have that when I was (insert age here)...I am sure my mum has kept it up the loft..."

Thank goodness for the cash machine!

No you didn't. We were directed to use the one in the restaurant opposite plus there were loos inside the venue.

In the morning, just after 8am on Saturday, they shut the restaurant ones opposite the ticket windows and you did have to walk outside...although I couldn't find the toilet...so after needing to go for a widdle since we got there at 7:15, when we got our tickets I ran (and I don't. At all) to get my Bruce ticket and photshoot ticket and then scampered to the loo.

It was a sight to be seen!

I have no sense of direction!

I thought it was great that there were places to sit and chill out too, loved checking out all the stalls...I was the one squealing "I used to have that when I was (insert age here)...I am sure my mum has kept it up the loft..."

Thank goodness for the cash machine!

Same here. I got my queue tickets and asked and I was directed outside though. For future info, they are opp. Car Park A, before the FC shop.

Must say I had a awesome time, the stalls were cool (didn't buy much but there was a nice variety)

the free bus was good for helping me save a bit of money

Bruce was very awesome

queues were lovely

everything was nice and quick

cosplay competition was amazing

Only bad point I have is that it woulda helped it there was a little bit of seating somewhere.

Also it was a little cold by the photoshoot area as there was a draft.

But yeah awesome event :lol: I'd also love if Bruce goes to another con :)

Great, quiet today (sunday) which was nice i enjoyed it... no rush got to meet bruce which was amazing totally made me year so far, loved the photo shoot with him cant wait to get the photos look forward to the next one.

Venue - great! Easy to get too.

Free Coaches - Brill and very much appreciated

Two things id possibly complain about..the food was stupidly priced, but then thats not SM's fault, and I was still around anyway when the arena shops reduced everything to £1 so took advantage then hehe, and the other thing again isnt SM's fault, but the 1 and only time tried using the free bus, I/we couldnt due to their stupid timings.

For next time, roughly 5 minutes walk from the arena is a massive Tesco extra, a Marks and Spencers, Borders, Burger King and Pizza Hut. None of which seemed above their normal rates.