Films that you don't get.

lovbug

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did find "The Remains of the Day" to be some of the most turgid, tedious tosh that I'd ever subjected myself to; nothing happens,and it proceeds not to happen at a glacial pace. It took me several attempts to watch it without falling asleep, and it wasn't worth the effort. Conversely, it's a belting cure for insomnia in my case.

Still, I think Donnie Darko is pretentious twaddle as well, so my judgement must be fairly flawed, I'd guess. :D

The Blues Brothers

Crikey.

Some prize comedy from the late great John Belushi, and Dan Akroyd (before he bloated, personally and professionally), a gloriously OTT car chase, and an absolutely cracking soundtrack.

All that and a cameo by Steven Spielberg.

What's not to like?

Granted it's not one for the cinema verite enthusiasts, but I think it's a belter.

Ah, but that's the point - I'm not a fan of John Belushi, and the car chase left me cold; each to their own!;)

Agree about the soundtrack, mind! :firedevil:

Spoofs stopped being funny with Scary Movie - the best ones still had a plot to them - i.e. Airplane, Naked Gun.

I have to admit, I liked Scary movie 1- but I'm a big Scream fan, and I loved a mick take. Buut, I saw the rest of the scary movies, and they have gotten worse and worse.... But unfortunately, if there is another, I'd see it, just to see if they'd got better lol.

Naked gun... I forget which one, with Pres Presley was on the other day n I was nearly literally wetting myself with laughter LOL!!

was never that big of a fan of clerks never really got the appeal, for me Smith has never really surpassed the brilliant dogma and i dont think he ever really will....

yeah films i didnt understand the appeal of....

Juno

St Trinians

all the shrek movies

Yea I don't see what was so scary about the exorcist... esp the bit at the start- wft?

Recently, I don't get why Juno is so massive... was a bit blah to me, and I liked the song in the credits, but the rest bugged me after a bit- dame old thing.

And some movies I'm a bit blonde over- constantly leaning over to my bf asking him to explain cos I don't gettit!

I think Juno was such a big hit due to the dark humour in it. Quality of acting was very very good. And it is just one of those over the top art type films that critics love.

Films I dont understand Star Trek V The Final Directing Job Of The Shatner. Why the tell did this film get made. After the massive sussess of Trek 4 why they gave 5 the budget they did I will have no clue.

It has been said (Funnily enough by Simon Pegg) That every odd numbered Trek is a bit poop, and as a MASSIVE trekkie, I think to some extent that is true.

ST1- alright, but a bit silly- esp the uniforms!

ST2- Khaaaaaaan! A great film.. apart from the gross-ness of the bugs eew

ST3- Alright in places, esp Kirks "they said no, therefore I shall go anyway"... or something like that. But I think it was a bit of a bridging film to make Kirk hate Klingons, and bring back Spock

ST4- mostly just funny :D

ST5- yea, a bit poo

ST6- Another amazing film, best of the TOS lot imo

ST7- An exception to the odd number rule, I love this one, esp Riker's speech at the end :P

ST8- My fave :D

ST9- Again, not the best... bit dull for me with the on the planet scenes... should have been an episode rather than a film

ST10- would have been great if it wasn't for the too much CGI, or appauling direction.

ST11- who knows?

(well that was a nice distraction to CWK!!)

Anyone who doesn't like Juno is wrong in the head, so there :(

*sniff*

Ah, but I never said I didn't like it... it just wasn't the best film ever to me compared to what i've heard of it. Oh my keyboard is squeaking...

• Moderators

Not really a film that made it big but if anyone can explain The Fountain to me that would be great coz I am still none the wiser. I walked out of that and thought my brain had been put through a blender. :(

I came online straight after watching that, and read all about it, and it's still the biggest bunch of nonsense ever! :YAHOO:

*sniff*

Ah, but I never said I didn't like it... it just wasn't the best film ever to me compared to what i've heard of it. Oh my keyboard is squeaking...

Ahh see I didn't really care about the hype and whatnot. I very rarely listen to reviews etc. I just watch and enjoy :dance:

Too easy.

I don't get why so called 'comedies' like Date Movie and Epic Movie and Here Come The Spartans take so much money. They're unfunny, purile, copies of whole scenes from superior movies.

Spoofs stopped being funny with Scary Movie - the best ones still had a plot to them - i.e. Airplane, Naked Gun.

Enough already!

There were more laughs in any 5 minutes you care to name of Airplane 1 (or even 2) than there were in Epic Movie in total. Even if they did like to reuse their jokes. Ie. Drinking problem.

Films I don't get...

Lost in Translation - If you just took the filming of the adverts, and possibly the night out and hospital scene, and cut the rest, you would have had a far superior end product. Apart from the fact that the age gap between Bill Murray and Scarlet Johannsen was WAY too big. Most of it was just dull.

Sunshine - I know if you go to see a film about restarting the sun, then you have to expect the science to be a little shaky. But the plotholes in that film? I'm suprised half of the crew working on it didn't fall through right into the centre of the earth. It was painfully bad.

I saw Juno last week and really liked it. Also liked Shrek - not so keen on the second and third but im a big kid :)

One film i didnt get when it came out was big fish, i remember everyone was raving about it and me and my friend just didnt get the big deal...

Lost in Translation - Apart from the fact that the age gap between Bill Murray and Scarlet Johannsen was WAY too big.

I think thats one of the beautys of the relationship between them. I dont find it creepy or anything, i think she showed him how to see things differently because she was younger.

i dont get Jet Li's Hero

its a film about what people say has happened, but it hasnt really n its all a big lie, and loadsa people 'laid down their lives' so that the king could be assasinated but then he never went through with it anyways, so really it just seemed kinda pointless

i hate napoleon dynamite with a passion. why people like it dont know.

but the jamiroquai dance scene !!!.....I dont think ive ever laughed so much during a film !

It's awful!

I think I'd laugh more if I had a rottweiller bite me in my b*lls!

I think that in the interests of science we should summon a rottweiler to see if your theory is correct ;)

i hate napoleon dynamite with a passion. why people like it dont know.

but the jamiroquai dance scene !!!.....I dont think ive ever laughed so much during a film !

It's awful!

I think I'd laugh more if I had a rottweiller bite me in my b*lls!

I think that in the interests of science we should summon a rottweiler to see if your theory is correct :D

Agreed :YAHOO: