Films that you don't get.

lovbug

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like an obvious candidate but im not sure i really get the principle of Donnie Darko, and as for the Architect in the Matrix, lets not even go there

Have to say though that i love Napolean Dynamite........the end of that film kicks ass

Edited by jakeblue

The Matrix

Napoleon Dynamite

Scarface

Rocky

The Crow

And Kevin Smith Films

I will gladly show you the way with Kevin Smith films.........

Many have tried and as a result many have failed.

I guess it's the same with David Lynch films, has a cult following but people wonder why?

Yea I don't see what was so scary about the exorcist... esp the bit at the start- wft?

Recently, I don't get why Juno is so massive... was a bit blah to me, and I liked the song in the credits, but the rest bugged me after a bit- dame old thing.

And some movies I'm a bit blonde over- constantly leaning over to my bf asking him to explain cos I don't gettit!

• Moderators

The Exorcist, as with many horror movies of its time, worked far better during that period than they do so many years later.

As a society now, we're far more used to seeing things like that.

Those types of movie (Exorcist, TCM etc) will always be notorious; not necessarily for the quality, but for the subject matter, censorship etc at the time. They very rarely shock on the same level nowadays.

Ah yes, but I was 9/10 at the time and hadn't seen many horror movies like that so I should have been scared lol! Nah, no movies scare me that easily... thrillers do a bit, more for the psychological factor. Look at me sounding all grown up lol!!

• Moderators

I guess everyone's different. I'm far more 'scared' by the stuff you can't see, rather than it being blatant OTT in your face stuff. I remember seeing Nightmare on Elm Street as my first real horror movie and I was young then, and it just didn't bother me really.

But yeah, a lot of horrors don't have the same impact after 30-40 years or whatever. It's no real surprise. Of course they'll still work on some people, but you can only imagine how shocking something could've been way back when it was the first time it was seen on screen etc.

K-Pax

Other than the fact that the film was utter garbage, I couldn't decide whether Kevin Spacey's character was either an actual alien or just a nutcase by the end of it.

Anyway, to remain in keeping with the original question - I'm sure this movie has it's share of fans, but I also don't get why it would. It was just Kevin and Jeff talking for almost 3 hours :smile:

K-Pax

Other than the fact that the film was utter garbage, I couldn't decide whether Kevin Spacey's character was either an actual alien or just a nutcase by the end of it.

Anyway, to remain in keeping with the original question - I'm sure this movie has it's share of fans, but I also don't get why it would. It was just Kevin and Jeff talking for almost 3 hours :dance:

From what i've heard thats what people like about K-Pax. Its ment to make you feel like you can't decide.

Which Kevin Smith film are you talking about? If its one of the talks then its not his film so would only be good if you were a huge huge kevin smith fan.

K-Pax

Anyway, to remain in keeping with the original question - I'm sure this movie has it's share of fans, but I also don't get why it would. It was just Kevin and Jeff talking for almost 3 hours :yoda:

From what i've heard thats what people like about K-Pax. Its ment to make you feel like you can't decide.

Which Kevin Smith film are you talking about? If its one of the talks then its not his film so would only be good if you were a huge huge kevin smith fan.

I've seen 'em all bar Clerks 2, and found nothing to write home about.

This is gonna sound soooo annoying, but if there is one film to change your mind its clerks 2. It brings everything together. I thought it was 100000000 times funnyier than any of the others.

Edited by lovbug

This is gonna sound soooo annoying, but if there is one film to change your mind its clerks 2. It brings everything together. I thought it was 100000000 times funnyier than any of the others.

i never thought i would ever read that statement anywhere. clerks is his best film by far and then slowly down hill from there. he seems to have completley lost that first promise and creativety that made everyone sit up and take notice in the first place.

All quite old, 'cos due to cost I don't get to the cinema that often, and have to be choosy, but:

The Blues Brothers

The Commitments

Shirley Valentine

Swimfan

Forrest Gump

Anything starring Tom Cruise

Anything more recent has been erased from my memory. :whistling:

Edited by yeltz-lass

i never thought i would ever read that statement anywhere. clerks is his best film by far and then slowly down hill from there. he seems to have completley lost that first promise and creativety that made everyone sit up and take notice in the first place.

For me when i first watched clerks i just thought it was poorly acted and pointlessly rude. I am proud to say i love clerks now, i think its sensitive and imagnative. The friendship and dissapointment of dante and Randal is brillant.

However i dont think i would have got this if it wasnt for clerks 2. I think people like to say clerks was more subtle and its great that it was reconised straight away, but for me i didnt 'get it' untill i had seen more of these two characters.

I cant see why clerks 1 fans dont love clerks 2. It has everything that the first one had and more.

• Moderators

I'd have to jump in and say I highly disagree with Clerks 2 having 'everything and more' compared to the original Clerks.

Not by a long shot.

Clerks 2 just felt like a Clerks movie for the mainstream, which really shouldn't be the point.

Admitly it was shinny compared to the rawness of original clerks. And obviuosly it didnt have the undergroundness of clerks, but i didnt hold that against it. Im not suggesting that this is what your views are, but i have talked to people who like clerks because it was 'underground cool' they seem to hate kevin smith now hes on every magazine. As if his sucess is a bad thing, like hes sold out or somthing.

But did you think the story line was not as good?

The Blues Brothers

Crikey.

Some prize comedy from the late great John Belushi, and Dan Akroyd (before he bloated, personally and professionally), a gloriously OTT car chase, and an absolutely cracking soundtrack.

All that and a cameo by Steven Spielberg.

What's not to like?

Granted it's not one for the cinema verite enthusiasts, but I think it's a belter.

you pointed to the bad acting of clerks in your other post - this was beacuse smith made it on his own without professional actors.

Yes i know, im a big kevin smith fan.

What i ment was the first time i saw clerks that is what i thought. I can understand people not liking it.

I love the original clerks now, and think i have a good understanding of its origins.

Too easy.

I don't get why so called 'comedies' like Date Movie and Epic Movie and Here Come The Spartans take so much money. They're unfunny, purile, copies of whole scenes from superior movies.

Spoofs stopped being funny with Scary Movie - the best ones still had a plot to them - i.e. Airplane, Naked Gun.

Enough already!