Party Photos

lovbug

FYI Everyone: For the Patrelli Campaign Night I'm going as a photographer and I will have the majority of my Kit so if anyone wants a photo just ask, I wont Charge I always upload most images to flickr and display via my website I can give you my website address there so you can get a link to it. then you can take it where you want to get printed. If you're in costume I will probably try to take a pic of you anyway.

Thank you so much for this. Thats very kind of you.

its not just the photographer here you have to think about though, the local development shops are going to be busy enough with the standard photoshoots before you even think of doing night time ones, and then what happens if a printer breaks due to a night time run and people cant get there photoshoot pictures back, there would be mass complaints.

I doubt the printers would break overnight unless the people at the photolab works nights and most stores well Jessops for example do not work nights.There's lots of things to be taken into consideration we can't just leave a lab running as they need water,paper changes,chemical changes,photowaste draining etc etc.As for busyness it depends on the size of the paper and the quantity of prints the average photolab can run off 100 or so 8x6/9x6's depending on the machine in about 30mins-45mins so it's not like a huge rush to recieve orders of this quantity.So professional shots done maybe on the friday night could be processed and printed easily by midday on the saturday.

its not just the photographer here you have to think about though, the local development shops are going to be busy enough with the standard photoshoots before you even think of doing night time ones, and then what happens if a printer breaks due to a night time run and people cant get there photoshoot pictures back, there would be mass complaints.

I doubt the printers would break overnight unless the people at the photolab works nights and most stores well Jessops for example do not work nights.There's lots of things to be taken into consideration we can't just leave a lab running as they need water,paper changes,chemical changes,photowaste draining etc etc.As for busyness it depends on the size of the paper and the quantity of prints the average photolab can run off 100 or so 8x6/9x6's depending on the machine in about 30mins-45mins so it's not like a huge rush to recieve orders of this quantity.So professional shots done maybe on the friday night could be processed and printed easily by midday on the saturday.

They already run the developers (whoever it is) basically to capacity with normal photos. Adding a bigger load isn't a good idea. I'd be pissed if I didn't get my photo with Zachary/whoever because they had a backlog to get through after doing party photos.

They already run the developers (whoever it is) basically to capacity with normal photos. Adding a bigger load isn't a good idea. I'd be pissed if I didn't get my photo with Zachary/whoever because they had a backlog to get through after doing party photos.

tiggsy i didnt mean a run done during the night i meant a run of the night time photos, i agree with psychosis i'd be annoyed, machines break and jam normally, i've been to events where you've barely gotten photos back (comic con was a different situation to weekend events) so to add extras in would be a nightmare

and yes i know its been suggested that they do the thumbnails thing but i cant see that working, if they have anything like that there i will not be participating my money will be spent on autographs and food (cause i'm a weirdo who likes to eat at events)

Obviously the photoshoots should take priority,but as I work in a photolab myself and know that on a busy day I've got through about 1000 or more photo's I don't think it's the actual printing that's the problem.Most days pass without any problems what so ever.The most time consuming activity is putting orders through the kiosks as large orders do slow it down.It then depending on the size and quantity takes a while to convert.Sometimes files become corrupted or the orders don't come over.So when things happen to slow down recieving photo's back it's probably due to other factors and not the printing.

I think it's a nice idea.Eclipse is not going to have the same volume issues at say collectormania or lfcc so I can't see a big issue as far as copious amounts of large orders.If photo's were taken friday night at the party and placed in the photolab on the saturday morning this wouldn't effect the photoshoots with the guests as those orders wouldn't be put through till the afternoon anyway.It is possible and yes some people are happy with using their compacts.But some people might like a professional souvenir of the event if they've gone to a lot of trouble with their costumes.Personally I prefer shots on an slr anyday

Edited by Tiggsy

I've been going to full weekend conventions like Eclipse for over 10 years. I know for a fact that the volume of photo printing resulting from busy photosessions can put enormous strain on the local developing / printing businesses.

Adding to that workload might be a bad idea.

on a busy day I've got through about 1000 or more photo's

1,000 isn't a lot on busy convention days though. There could be 500-600 people there and 4-6 guests to have photo's with. Feasibly there could be a lot more than 1,000 photos!

and yes i know its been suggested that they do the thumbnails thing but i cant see that working, if they have anything like that there i will not be participating my money will be spent on autographs and food (cause i'm a weirdo who likes to eat at events)

I think most people here have had a bad experience with the thumbnails idea simply due to LFCC where it was used to resolve a problem as opposed to being developed on purpose.ig flashe

I think (only for professional evening shot photos) thumbnails would be a good Idea, My friend had something like this at her wedding. the photographer was paid to work the wedding but in the evening she worked for herself and made a screened off area with a couple of big standing flashes. she took photos of guests who wanted nice professional pics and when there was nobody there went around taking candid shots of everyone at the reception.

When my friend was back from her honeymoon she mailed me a website (which I wish I could find so I can post my example) with her wedding photos on. they were only thumbnails but when you clicked them you got a larger proof shot (which was watermarked to prevent theft) you could buy the pictures you wanted for £4.50 each. I got a couple of me and one of me and my boyfriend, they were really good and really natural shots.

I think that in this example the thumbnails idea works perfectly.

The good thing was it didn't cost my friend anything for the evening shots as the photographer worked for herself.

If someone would do this for an event like eclipse it would work great, especially at the cocktail party.

Obviously the photoshoots should take priority,but as I work in a photolab myself and know that on a busy day I've got through about 1000 or more photo's I don't think it's the actual printing that's the problem.Most days pass without any problems what so ever.The most time consuming activity is putting orders through the kiosks as large orders do slow it down.It then depending on the size and quantity takes a while to convert.Sometimes files become corrupted or the orders don't come over.So when things happen to slow down recieving photo's back it's probably due to other factors and not the printing.

I think it's a nice idea.Eclipse is not going to have the same volume issues at say collectormania or lfcc so I can't see a big issue as far as copious amounts of large orders.If photo's were taken friday night at the party and placed in the photolab on the saturday morning this wouldn't effect the photoshoots with the guests as those orders wouldn't be put through till the afternoon anyway.It is possible and yes some people are happy with using their compacts.But some people might like a professional souvenir of the event if they've gone to a lot of trouble with their costumes.Personally I prefer shots on an slr anyday

On a day when you could have 800 people wanting photoshoots with 6 guests, you're gonna have a lot more than 1000 photos to get through.

I would be happy with having the photos arrive at a later date. When my sister had her prom, the photographer put the photos up on a website and you bought them then if you liked them. They took a while to arrive but it was worth it, they look stunning in frame up on the wall.

I think most people here have had a bad experience with the thumbnails idea simply due to LFCC where it was used to resolve a problem as opposed to being developed on purpose.ig flashe

I think (only for professional evening shot photos) thumbnails would be a good Idea, My friend had something like this at her wedding. the photographer was paid to work the wedding but in the evening she worked for herself and made a screened off area with a couple of big standing flashes. she took photos of guests who wanted nice professional pics and when there was nobody there went around taking candid shots of everyone at the reception.

When my friend was back from her honeymoon she mailed me a website (which I wish I could find so I can post my example) with her wedding photos on. they were only thumbnails but when you clicked them you got a larger proof shot (which was watermarked to prevent theft) you could buy the pictures you wanted for £4.50 each. I got a couple of me and one of me and my boyfriend, they were really good and really natural shots.

I think that in this example the thumbnails idea works perfectly.

The good thing was it didn't cost my friend anything for the evening shots as the photographer worked for herself.

If someone would do this for an event like eclipse it would work great, especially at the cocktail party.

That is exactly what I was suggesting, i'm glad someone can make the idea actually make sense

I would be happy with having the photos arrive at a later date. When my sister had her prom, the photographer put the photos up on a website and you bought them then if you liked them. They took a while to arrive but it was worth it, they look stunning in frame up on the wall.

I agree 100%

On a day when you could have 800 people wanting photoshoots with 6 guests, you're gonna have a lot more than 1000 photos to get through.

1000 is a rough estimate and thats not our machine running all the time,there are much faster processors in the land.

Basically some people like this idea and if it doesn't interfere with the normal photoshoots then all then people could take it or leave it

I would like to just say at the parties I will have my camera, and I hope someone will be nice enough to take a good picture of me and my sis with it. :) And if anyone wants I'll gladly take their photo and be able to email it to them ^__^

A compact camera cant really produce the sort of professional photo that you get in the photo sessions, If they did they would use them. Its that sort of equipment coupled with a neutral backdrop and a decent flash that makes a photo

Which, without fail after every event, a good portion of people are always unhappy with the lighting still or various other things, so really its not that much of an improvment as you'd still get people complaining.

As people are dressing up they may want professional photographs (like that at a school prom) since they have put the effort in.

Never been to a prom myself so no idea what they do there, but the people I know who have been to them have always had their own cameras! Never seen any pro shots.

I've had more than enough of this thread.

If you are in fancy dress and want a photo, please don't hesitate to ask me. I'm not hard to spot, what with the eye patch etc. :)

I like taking photos and I quite often get very reasonable results. :)

A compact camera cant really produce the sort of professional photo that you get in the photo sessions, If they did they would use them. Its that sort of equipment coupled with a neutral backdrop and a decent flash that makes a photo

Which, without fail after every event, a good portion of people are always unhappy with the lighting still or various other things, so really its not that much of an improvement as you'd still get people complaining.

Yes, However in the example I gave it is not like people have paid for these photos, they had them taken for free, they can choose to buy them later or not to buy them if they don't like them...

People will be upset that they didn't get a great pic but its not like they have paid £20 for a bad pic.

I've had more than enough of this thread.

I'm not sure how to take that comment, My 1st impression was to think "with an attitude like that I don't think I would want to ask you to take photos thank you very much". I may have misread this but I can't see how I can take it any other way than just rude to the person who started this topic...

Just my two cents:

If people are paying £15 at the event to have their photo taken professionally with an actor from Heroes, I very much doubt people would want to pay £15 (or even £10) to have their photo taken professionally WITHOUT an actor from Heroes, just because they're at a party.

If this were a viable idea that would be successful, surely it would have been happening at one of the numerous conventions run by different companies all across the world for decades?

Just my two cents:

If people are paying £15 at the event to have their photo taken professionally with an actor from Heroes, I very much doubt people would want to pay £15 (or even £10) to have their photo taken professionally WITHOUT an actor from Heroes, just because they're at a party.

If this were a viable idea that would be successful, surely it would have been happening at one of the numerous conventions run by different companies all across the world for decades?

Why are people continually missing my point that they don't have to pay?

Sorry to sound so rude, people can have photos taken of the them for free, as many times at they want (some people obviously want this, see the person who started the thread for 1) Then after the event if they like their professionally taken photos they can buy them. If they don't like them they don't buy them.

I doubt they would be charged £15, I can get canvas prints for £15 and standard 7x5's for approximately 12p.

Charge £10 a pic + send the original digital copy by email t'would be a great service.

I understand your point that people may not want this as I'm not sure how popular it would be. but some people would want it as they have said so in the thread. and please note again people dont have to pay to have their photo taken only to buy the photo if it comes out OK.

Edited by Deap

I think she got your point.

The way I understand vampireslayer she's thinking that people will not take up the offer and pay afterwards, even if they have their picture taken at the event.

Very well, Sorry I took it the wrong way.

I find that whenever i go out and attempt to take my own pictures of my-self they never look that nice.

I would personally like to have some sort of professional photo (taken by whoever at cost or free) to have something good to remember, whether i look good or not. I think maybe not everyone will want one, but im sure im not alone in wanting something nice to remember the evening by. The option of having one may be better than having nothing at all.

Edited by mousybrown