Response Inquiry: WORLD COSPLAY SUMMIT Nagoya, Japan

julialaurant

Hi there to everyone here!

I've got something really important I wish to propose to the local cosplayers here..and wish to hear your relevant responses as I approach the official committee. Since this is going to affect you directly as cosplayers, I have decided to just pop this suggestion here...and hear your first hand views about it.

Just some background about who I am... *(:YAHOO:)*

I'm Julia, 22, from Singapore, currently a BA(hons) student at the London College of Fashion, majoring in Costume and will be here for the next 3 years...

I've been an avid cosplayer for 4.5years now *and still going strong*, Represented Singapore for the World Cosplay Summit in 2006, Designer/Co-initiate of Singapore's First maid cafe : Cos'afe Maid Cafe @ CHIJMES, and now part of the WCS alumni.

I can't give up cosplaying for nuts, and will really like to learn more about the local cosplay/anime/film culture while I am here in London for the 3 long years to come. ^^ *and cosplay here too!*

Having some extra time on my hands, I been travelling for quite awhile now just visiting various anime meetup groups and conventions internationally to learn more about different local anime scenes. I was recently in Barcelona, Spain to grace the XIII Salon Del Manga Festival, Spain's Largest animecon and crown the new Spainish champion cosplayers (who won the acclaimed title to represent Spain. They will be heading to Japan next summer for the competition)

My proposal is simple:

TO BRING WORLD COSPLAY SUMMIT TO THE UNITED KINGDOM through LCFF 2008 or 2009, offering local UK cosplayers a chance to compete for the chance to head on to Japan, and represent their country in an international cosplay competition.

MORE ABOUT WORLD COSPLAY SUMMIT by TV Aichi Japan

World Cosplay Summit can be better known as the "World Cup" of International Cosplay. Its prestige has grown through the years and it is likely to be known as the most prestigious event for competitive Cosplayers. A wonderful exposure for all international cosplayers alike. Standards of Cosplay performance and costume making technics are increasingly high as the years go by. Being an Alumni of WCS, I offer my correspondence to bring this event into the UK. offering local cosplayers a chance to visit Japan, learn its cultures and sub-cultures, be ambassadors and win the acclaimed title of being crowned World Cosplay Champions for the United Kingdom.

More information can be found here:

http://www.tv-aichi.co.jp/wcs/e/index.html

There is a Japanese website as well as an English website.

Countries competing in 2008 are:

Japan, USA, Germany, France, Spain, Thailand, Denmark, Singapore, Korea, China, Italy, Brazil, and the list goes on.... (more countries are added every year)

Many of the previous cosplay representatives and champions have gone on to become acclaimed cosplayers of their local cosplay scene, with many contacts and pathways into the anime industry opened to them. Some have brought great awareness to their local cosplay scenes, and are known internationally for their efforts. One of the major aspects of being a representative of WCS for your country would be the chance to get a good insight into the Japanese anime industry ,and speak up on behalf of your nation.

Please do let me know your views on this matter by just replying to this thread..spam it...question me about it..whatever works...and hopefully to help me with some genuine feedback from you as cosplayers.

Thanks a million! And really hope to see UK being a part of this great competition soon! *(:D)*

Edited by Julia Laurant

• 1 month later...

Hello Julia and welcome to the UK :dance: What a great idea you propose. You are correct in your observation that Cosplay in the UK is still young, but the quality of costumes last year was extremely high (I shot or judged most of them) :YAHOO:

Some obvious questions for the boys & girls-

1. How is the competition organised: Is it a one-off event or a number of rounds held throughout the year (within each country) culminating with the best-of-the-best from each country going onto Japan?

2. How would people get to Japan if it's required (costs question)?

3. Are there categories of Cosplay that people should be aware of?

I hope you are settling into school hall and the guys are doing what you tell them :dance:

I'm sure we can beat the French to the win if we do our best together :dance:

Edited by paul jacques

• 1 month later...