Replies to FAQ

Queen_Sindel

I'm disappointed with the FAQ. I looked at the info for Malcolm McDowell and as I couldn't get a train arriving in Manchester until about 11.30am on Saturday I decided that it wasn't worth making the journey as I thought I'd be unlikely to get to meet him (the FAQ said that if you didn't get to G-Mex before 12am you probably wouldn't get to meet him and I wasn't sure how easily I'd be able to get to the venue even if the train ran on schedule). Now I find that from what people are saying the event wasn't all that busy so I probably would have been able to meet him after all. I hope he comes to a future SM event as I'm very annoyed to have been misinformed and thus to have missed out.

That was your choice. Showmasters/Too Tall (as has already been stated) cannot see into the future. They try to provide realistic expectations but its completely dependent on how many turn up on the day. They had no way of knowing that Saturday would have been quiet enough to get everyone in. Its not an exact science.

Its the risk everyone who attends takes. Will I or won't I see the guest I want to see? You plan accordingly. Your train didn't come in until 11:30am. Admittedly that isn't your fault but neither is it Too Tall's.

You chose not to go, thats your problem.

(sorry to be blunt but it annoys me when it seems people blame everything on Showmasters)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I you had the choice to spend £60 on a train ticket and money on an entrance fee when the advice you were given implied that your money would be wasted as the guest would be too busy, would you spend the money? Malcolm was the only guest I really wanted to see and I didn't want to risk spending around £70 on a potentially wasted journey.

I you had the choice to spend £60 on a train ticket and money on an entrance fee when the advice you were given implied that your money would be wasted as the guest would be too busy, would you spend the money? Malcolm was the only guest I really wanted to see and I didn't want to risk spending around £70 on a potentially wasted journey.

Fine. Accept that but it was still your choice not to go. You could have left the night before and stayed in a hotel. Additional cost but you would have got there in time to get his autograph. You decided it was not worth going for that 1 autograph - Showmasters provided advice that ultimately, due to circumstances beyond their control, proved incorrect. Thats not their fault. Not saying its yours either.

Nature of the event.

As for what I would have done? Gone anyway and made the most of what was on offer (but then, thats just me)

I couldn't afford to stay in a hotel overnight. I'm not blaming Showmasters, I'm just raising it so that hopefully it doesn't happen to anyone else in future (and I'm also encouraging SM to bring him back for a future event - Autographica or LFACC would be ideal as I'm due to be on honeymoon when the next CM is held).

• Showmasters Admin

The FAQ is NOT SM, it is my advice. I make that clear in the first post. Yes I am a mod on these boards but at no point does it say this information comes from or is endorsed by SM. All I try and do is give the best advice I can, based on my experience and knowledge of the shows. I have never professed to know everything or that my advice is any better than anyone else's.

Again I'm very sorry you decided not to come but I am very clear in that section. I say "no one knows for sure", "This is only my best guess", and bolded with Group 1 is said "Arrive after 12:00pm and it's possible you'll not get to see them:". Notice the word "possible".

Yes this does feel like being given a slap in the face....

Let's say someone comes to you and asks "Do you think it's going to rain today, do you think I should take an umbrella?" and you reply "Well, of course it could rain, but I don't think it's likely too". Then that person decides to go out without their umbrella and gets soaked. They then come up to you and say "Your advice was really bad I got completely soaked today, it's all your fault!". How would you feel?

I'm sorry you took this as an iron clad commitment, but I don't feel I could have made it any clearer that it is only a guess and is in no way definite. All I try and do with that section is try and help people by suggesting how busy guests MIGHT be. Maybe in future I just won't bother putting this section in, that way no one can complain it's wrong.

You say you're annoyed! Well how do you think I feel now? What I'm most annoyed about is that IF I'd been right and saved you £70 you'd have been fine with it and been happy I'd given my advice. But because I got it wrong it's suddenly all my fault and I shouldn't have said anything!

Because basically that's what you're saying! As there is NO WAY I or anyone else can guarantee to be 100% correct all the time, the only way to make sure no one is ever misguided by my or anyone elses advice is for us to NEVER give any advice in the first place!

How busy will INSERT GUEST NAME be, so what time should I get there?

The honest answer is no one knows for sure. Below is a list of all the guests going to G-Mex3 so far and I've put them into groups of how busy I believe they will be, and so what time you should get to the show to make sure you meet them. This is only my best guess.

GROUP 1 - Will be busy so you should be there by 12:00pm at the latest to get VTs. Arrive after 12:00pm and it's possible you'll not get to see them:

Edited by Too Tall

I couldn't afford to stay in a hotel overnight. I'm not blaming Showmasters, I'm just raising it so that hopefully it doesn't happen to anyone else in future (and I'm also encouraging SM to bring him back for a future event - Autographica or LFACC would be ideal as I'm due to be on honeymoon when the next CM is held).

Your post on this subject clearly indicates you blame the FAQ (and therefore Too Tall acting on behalf of Showmasters) for the fact you missed out on meeting Malcolm.

To me - the advice was there, it was clear, you chose not to go. End of story. No one elses fault but your own

Its not that easy to just say 'bring him back'. For a multitude of reasons, he may not be able to come back.

Edited by Grazer

Grazer, sod off.

Too Tall, I don't blame you, and I thank you for your apology. If Grazer would stop trolling then I'd be happy to let the matter lie.

Given that I cant send a personal message I'll have to do it here

Nosfer2, I apologise for my attitude here. I have been OTT in my responses, they've been a little bit over zealous. I made my point, I didn't need to keep hammering it. Just been a really bad day and I got annoyed at your posts and took it all out on you.

Apologies again

Edited by Grazer