bad mannered staff

marginbuu

Did anyone else have an autograph of Malcolm McDowell where he had signed over the face on the picture? My brother asked a member of the crew if he could change this and was politely told only if you spend another £20. This was fair but the same crew member then went over to his mates and started calling my brother rotten. (I was in the queue for James at the time and heard them) - Moral of the story - be careful because you never know who is listening.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats so rude! I was actually behind a crew member who came BACK to Craig Charles, said his autograph wasn't good enough, told him how to write it etc, said he can do what he wants with the first one, then walked off! I actually joked with Craig that mine wasn't good enough :WAVE: He laughed lol

Did anyone else have an autograph of Malcolm McDowell where he had signed over the face on the picture? My brother asked a member of the crew if he could change this and was politely told only if you spend another £20. This was fair but the same crew member then went over to his mates and started calling my brother rotten. (I was in the queue for James at the time and heard them) - Moral of the story - be careful because you never know who is listening.

malcolm.jpg

Yep Malcolm signed over the face on my picture, it kinda looks like Mmmmlmmmm lol. That's so rude of a crewmember to do that, they should be removed if they're going to do that. Are guests told how to sign autographs then like Craig Charles? I thought they just came and signed however, I didn't realise there was a particular way for them to sign. The women are generally neater than the men and take more time haha. Kristine being a good example and even Claudia :WAVE:

claudia.jpg

jason.jpg

nancy.jpg

kristine.jpg

lance.jpg

See? :P

I have always found politely asking a guest, or their PA, if they could sign in a certain area works.

I've been asked by some celebs before where I'd like them to sign, but I'm so stoked to meet them at the time, I don't care, I'm like... anywhere you choose, just sign! :WAVE:

I have always found politely asking a guest, or their PA, if they could sign in a certain area works.

I've been asked by some celebs before where I'd like them to sign, but I'm so stoked to meet them at the time, I don't care, I'm like... anywhere you choose, just sign! :P

I was fortunate enough to have met numerous acting, sports and "famous" people in my line of work before I got into the fanboy side of my soul :WAVE: , so I was very relaxed around them and had good people who advised me about asking people where to sign. I have a multi signed Buffy TVS photo from the last episode, and it was a case of asking them to sign in a certain place so I could get as many as possible. After the first 3 or 4 on there, the actor/actress would take a good look at it and ask em stuff about the photo etc.

My apologise I made an enquiry as could I meet and shake James Marsters hand as a Autograph would be useless to me I have Ms I am Partially sigthted as well as sometimes my speach is impaired the nature of my illness. He told me forget it his agent wouldn't allow it pay my money or just go away. So I went.

It is regrettable if somebody was rude to you, but I'd like to put an opposite side of the coin here (and I speak as the close friend of somebody who is disabled, so I've seen some unpleasantness in my time of this nature). Obviously I'm unsure of how apparent your disability is, but anecdotal evidence is that there are always a percentage of grifters, scammers, wideboys and downright despicable liars who try to "work" a disability "angle" at these events (there was a thread about this either before this show or the last) - no excuse for treating the genuinely disabled badly, but a certain degree of cynicism is perhaps understandable. (One needs only to read the reports about the widespread abuse of disabled parking badges to realise that there a quite a few of our fellow countryfolk who are self-serving scum making things worse for the genuine people out there). Secondly, there is any amount of research that will show that people can sometimes misinterpret and misattribute what people said and how they said it - not because they are "evil" or "liars", but it is human nature when something upsets you to perhaps remember it as actually worse than what it was. Again, I',m not calling you a liar, and I'm not even saying that that was the case here, but any number of researchers and court officials will tell you that it happens all the time. (Yes, I'm playing devil's advocate).

Finally, as a number of people have remarked, your request was perhaps unreasonable. Considering that James was only at the show for one day, he was always going to be the busiest guest on Sunday. The whole raison d'etre of the show is the sale of autographs, accompanied by a relatively fleeting meeting with the autographer. To ask if you could do something that is outside the "aims" of the show is understandable given your situation, but really something that you should plan in advance, and talk to the "management" ahead of time. To turn up on the day and ask if you can circumvent the organisation and procedure, for the busiest guest, is perhaps unreasonable. If I may use an analogy, and this like all analogies is imperfect, it's a little like turning up at Wembley on the day of the FA Cup Final and asking if they can let you in just so that you can experience the atmosphere; you don't want to, indeed can't, watch the game, but you want to be part of the experience. The thing is, if you turn up on the day unannounced, they can't really let you in without depriving somebody else of the experience (i.e their seat or "turn"). If you'd asked in advance, they may have been able to accommodate you, but there again, they might have said, no, not for the Cup Final, because so many people want to come, but perhaps for another fixture that isn't sold out. Similarly, they might have said that it was impossible for James since he was going to be so busy. But at least they could have considered it.

You have my greatest sympathies for your disability, but to turn up and ask for not an equality of treatment, but special treatment, completely unforewarned, and special treatment regarding the busiest guest of the day at that, is unreasonable in my opinion.

• Showmasters Admin

At this point i would just like to say we here at Showmasters look out to help people with disability's as much as posabel and the crew we have are there to help you all as well as disabled people

all i can say is that i see all of the crew and also see them under stress and they are amazing and i know they are the best crew in the world and i can say this as i have been to events all over the world

they do a very hard job and do it for you and for us and because they want to be a part of something amazing so just remember if you ask one of them for help or information or why something cannot happen they will tell you why or put you in contact with someone that can help you with your questions

i hope this helps you all understand were we are coming from

and thank you all for attending the show

yours

jason :D

Exactly. It's a gives you something to say rather than just "hello" too, - a kind of silence breaker :D

Edited by nicky

I can`t believe you would start posting that some people take advantage and use disability as an excuse. I have never used my disability to obtain preferential treatment and many people on here know me and they could not tell what my disability is. I have substantial hearing loss in my right ear and partial in the left so miss an awful lot of talks and instructions sometimes which can be annoying and frustrating.

I too tried to get James to pose for a picture with me at a previous event rather than get his auto but still ended up with the back of his head so I know unless you paid for the photosession forget it cos he is too busy signing autos that we do not want :firedevil: They do not have the Andromeda character or Dresden audiobooks available here which I want him to sign...... I`m not a buffy or angel fan. :headscratch:

• Moderators

I can`t believe you would start posting that some people take advantage and use disability as an excuse.

It's an unfortunate truth - moreso that some people fake certain things. No-one is saying it's a widespread occurance throughout all disabled people or anything, it's just a nasty side to some.

but to turn up and ask for not an equality of treatment, but special treatment, completely unforewarned, and special treatment regarding the busiest guest of the day at that, is unreasonable in my opinion.

this is exactly my opinion.iv seen it happen so many times aswell.

I found some of the staff very bad mannered. I have been to expos around the country and have found them all functional and polite. I have MS and I have no outward disabilities I can walk etc. but some time I find it hard to speak.

James Marster's Had a P***k with a cockney accent on sunday.

I do not have a sign saying "I AM DISABLED" but that is not the point.

Teach your staff "Customer Services" it is your buisness best interests.

I live 2 miles away from Manchester Central. I feel I would rather travel to other places in the country for their expos Than feel humiliated by your staff

I was in the ailse next to James Marsters assisting with the Malcom MacDowell queue. There were 3 showmasters crew assisting with James. 1 at the start of the queue (he is South African - I think he is, he's definitly not cockney) 1 was assisting with getting photos to James guest assistant (who was not showmasters staff) and he's american. The other was lady helping taking cash, sat behind a desk about half way up the queue (no idea where she's from). All showmasters crew were wearing bright orange or red T shirts so they weren't going to be missed or mistaken. Plus they had badges with their names on. Anyone else helping with the James Marsters signing were not Showmasters crew but were with a 3rd party company (James's agents I believe)

As has been stated already, if you had a bad experience with the crew then it would been better if you raised it at the time. You can email Showmasters but specifics will be needed.

Thats rubbish. If someone feels humiliated then the last thing he is going to do is raise it at the time. THINK before you speak.

this is fair???? No its not really in my opinion. Its actually really unfair they wouldnt do that for you and take the old one off you.

Edited by rich5wolves

I found some of the staff very bad mannered. I have been to expos around the country and have found them all functional and polite. I have MS and I have no outward disabilities I can walk etc. but some time I find it hard to speak.

James Marster's Had a P***k with a cockney accent on sunday.

I do not have a sign saying "I AM DISABLED" but that is not the point.

Teach your staff "Customer Services" it is your buisness best interests.

I live 2 miles away from Manchester Central. I feel I would rather travel to other places in the country for their expos Than feel humiliated by your staff

I was in the ailse next to James Marsters assisting with the Malcom MacDowell queue. There were 3 showmasters crew assisting with James. 1 at the start of the queue (he is South African - I think he is, he's definitly not cockney) 1 was assisting with getting photos to James guest assistant (who was not showmasters staff) and he's american. The other was lady helping taking cash, sat behind a desk about half way up the queue (no idea where she's from). All showmasters crew were wearing bright orange or red T shirts so they weren't going to be missed or mistaken. Plus they had badges with their names on. Anyone else helping with the James Marsters signing were not Showmasters crew but were with a 3rd party company (James's agents I believe)

As has been stated already, if you had a bad experience with the crew then it would been better if you raised it at the time. You can email Showmasters but specifics will be needed.

Thats rubbish. If someone feels humiliated then the last thing he is going to do is raise it at the time. THINK before you speak.

Yeah ok...I feel suitable admonished.:( Well not really. Fact is if they're not going to raise it at the time, raising it on a forum after the event without actually being able to provide names or any specifics is not going to help or solve this particular issue now is it?

The only thing its going to achieve is for people to debate it nigh on endlessly (which seems to be happening) and now we're getting the point where we're going round in circles.

Edited by Grazer

• Moderators

Yup, if I feel hard done by in some place .. like a shop or whatever, I'll likely ask to go and speak to whoever is in charge straight away if I've got the time.

If I've not, I'll do the whole letter thing after, but I find face-to-face immediate action works best.