bad mannered staff

marginbuu

I found some of the staff very bad mannered. I have been to expos around the country and have found them all functional and polite. I have MS and I have no outward disabilities I can walk etc. but some time I find it hard to speak.

James Marster's Had a P***k with a cockney accent on sunday.

I do not have a sign saying "I AM DISABLED" but that is not the point.

Teach your staff "Customer Services" it is your buisness best interests.

I live 2 miles away from Manchester Central. I feel I would rather travel to other places in the country for their expos Than feel humiliated by your staff

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I'm not sure what the actual problem was?

If you have a specific problem with staff then you can always direct it to the organisers desk at the event at the time.

You've not really said what actually happened though.

Not sure who you are referring to working with James as there was a lady on his cash desk and the people selling his merchandise and sitting with him weren't showmasters people. When I saw him he had a lady sat with him as PA.

Like David said though if there was a specific incident then you should report it to showmasters via their e-mail as I am sure they would like to hear about it.

I think he means he had difficulty communicating and the person at the table wasnt so pleasant about it. ie. maybe they couldnt understand him,or ask him to speak up a bit,or made sure he knew he couldnt understand what he was saying.

All of which,rightly or wrongly the OP could have found embaressing,humiliating.

I think he means he had difficulty communicating and the person at the table wasnt so pleasant about it. ie. maybe they couldnt understand him,or ask him to speak up a bit,or made sure he knew he couldnt understand what he was saying.

All of which,rightly or wrongly the OP could have found embaressing,humiliating.

OP = other person>?

I found some of the staff very bad mannered. I have been to expos around the country and have found them all functional and polite. I have MS and I have no outward disabilities I can walk etc. but some time I find it hard to speak.

James Marster's Had a P***k with a cockney accent on sunday.

I do not have a sign saying "I AM DISABLED" but that is not the point.

Teach your staff "Customer Services" it is your buisness best interests.

I live 2 miles away from Manchester Central. I feel I would rather travel to other places in the country for their expos Than feel humiliated by your staff

I was in the ailse next to James Marsters assisting with the Malcom MacDowell queue. There were 3 showmasters crew assisting with James. 1 at the start of the queue (he is South African - I think he is, he's definitly not cockney) 1 was assisting with getting photos to James guest assistant (who was not showmasters staff) and he's american. The other was lady helping taking cash, sat behind a desk about half way up the queue (no idea where she's from). All showmasters crew were wearing bright orange or red T shirts so they weren't going to be missed or mistaken. Plus they had badges with their names on. Anyone else helping with the James Marsters signing were not Showmasters crew but were with a 3rd party company (James's agents I believe)

As has been stated already, if you had a bad experience with the crew then it would been better if you raised it at the time. You can email Showmasters but specifics will be needed.

If you have a specific problem with staff then you can always direct it to the organisers desk at the event at the time.

My apologise I made an enquiry as could I meet and shake James Marsters hand as a Autograph would be useless to me I have Ms I am Partially sigthted as well as sometimes my speach is impaired the nature of my illness. He told me forget it his agent wouldn't allow it pay my money or just go away. So I went.as for the show masters desk where was it?

before any wise guy asks how I can post there is software for the visually impaired.

My apologise I made an enquiry as could I meet and shake James Marsters hand as a Autograph would be useless to me I have Ms I am Partially sigthted as well as sometimes my speach is impaired the nature of my illness. He told me forget it his agent wouldn't allow it pay my money or just go away. So I went.as for the show masters desk where was it?

before any wise guy asks how I can post there is software for the visually impaired.

The organisers desk is RIGHT in front of the entrance, you would've had to walk around it to get anywhere. (not saying that meanly, just because you asked)`

Obviously I can't speak as to how this person expressed what you have said above and if they were rude about it then the thing to do would have been to report it to someone on the day... however, looking at it from the other side, you've got to consider that James was by far the busiest guest there that day with people queuing all day to get his autograph and there was no time for him to even personalise autographs because he was so busy.. all these hundreds of people are paying to queue up and get James' autograph... it's not hard to understand why the crew would say no - would in fact have to say no - to someone who wants to take the time to meet and shake James' hand but not to pay for an autograph. It's not fair on the folks who are paying for an autograph - probably a lot of whom are doing so partly for the chance just to meet him - or on James who is working incredibly hard (and justifiably expecting to earn himself some money from doing so). Did you have a virtual queue ticket at all? Because these will have all been given out very early in the day because of demand... and if you didn't have a virtual queue ticket then there will have been even less reason for someone to let you effectively queue jump those who had got tickets..

I'm sorry if the person you spoke to came across as rude but, whereas I didn't witness and can't judge the nature of how he spoke to you, I can't condemn his decision to not let you go up and meet James when he was as busy as he was. If it had been any other guest you probably would have been able to walk up and chat to them during a quieter time of the day but James simply didn't have any quiet times.. and the SM policy for these shows is that you may go up and speak to guests or ask for photos etc without paying to get an autograoh.. but only if there is no queue.

Obviously I can't speak as to how this person expressed what you have said above and if they were rude about it then the thing to do would have been to report it to someone on the day... however, looking at it

from the other side, you've got to consider that James was by far the busiest guest there that day with people queuing all day to get his autograph and there was no time for him to even personalise autographs because he was so busy.. all these hundreds of people are paying to queue up and get James' autograph... it's not hard to understand why the crew would say no - would in fact have to say no - to someone who wants to take the time to meet and shake James' hand but not to pay for an autograph. It's not fair on the folks who are paying for an autograph - probably a lot of whom are doing so partly for the chance just to meet him - or on James who is working incredibly hard (and justifiably expecting to earn himself some money from doing so). Did you have a virtual queue ticket at all? Because these will have all been given out very early in the day because of demand... and if you didn't have a virtual queue ticket then there will have been even less reason for someone to let you effectively queue jump those who had got tickets..

I'm sorry if the person you spoke to came across as rude but, whereas I didn't witness and can't judge the nature of how he spoke to you, I can't condemn his decision to not let you go up and meet James when he was as busy as he was. If it had been any other guest you probably would have been able to walk up and chat to them during a quieter time of the day but James simply didn't have any quiet times.. and the SM policy for these shows is that you may go up and speak to guests or ask for photos etc without paying to get an autograoh.. but only if there is no queue.

I am not in the habit of using my disability to speak to celabs Just last may I gotconnor trinners auto and I spoke to him and said hi I did not tell him I was now partiallysighted but he remembered me all the same. I think next time I will usemy cahir and white stick or maybe go to london.

Now I am upset

marginbuu, it's not about your disability. A LOT of people who went for James' autograph just wanted the opportunity to speak to him, and didn't actually want the autograph. I could've lived without the auto but I did want the chance to see James again so I paid for it.

I am not in the habit of using my disability to speak to celabs Just last may I gotconnor trinners auto and I spoke to him and said hi I did not tell him I was now partiallysighted but he remembered me all the same. I think next time I will usemy cahir and white stick or maybe go to london.

Now I am upset

Oh gosh, I never for a minute suggested you did or would. I was simply trying to explain why the logistics of the day would make it impossible for them to let *anyone* just go up to the desk to meet James. There probably wasn't enough time for all the people who did want autographs to get one, so to let people who don't want an autograph - regardless of the reason - to go up and meet James just simply wasn't feasible.

Now I am upset

Geez, a bit touchy aren't you? As has been said in other posts, James was signing non stop from the moment he got there to the moment he left - and he did a photo shoot in between. It was simply not feasible to allow you to just go up and shake his hand, disability or not. The only person making a big issue out of your disablility is you

Now, the attitude to which you were met was not the best by the sounds of things however, the answer and the reasons for it were 100% correct.

Edited by Grazer

Marginbuu, putting myself in your place and reading this thread, I know that if it were me, I would be absolutely gutted after going there to meet someone specific. Now I see both sides of the argument here, okay fair enough James was busy from when he arrived to when he left and had to do a photoshoot in between, but to be fair, how long does it take to shake someone's hand and say hello? 2 seconds? Imagine if you met someone you were a really big fan of and you were treated like that, especially at a public event, not only would you feel embarrassed and humiliated, you'd feel upset too. I appreciate James was busy but two seconds out of an entire day isn't much to ask and to have that person look at you, smile, say hi and shake your hand can make all the difference.

I also appreciate what was said about the pay the money kind of thing, I heard JCB say something about needing to keep the money coming in or something, ushering customers forward like sheep, I didn't appreciate that but to be fair I'd had a good day and been extremely lucky with the guests I'd met and I didn't want to spoil it. My ultimate favourite celeb who I'm determined to meet is someone who will never appear at a show or convention, Kylie Minogue and I know if I met her and I was treated rudely and told I couldn't shake her hand or speak, I'd be very upset about it, absolutely gutted in fact so I can sympathize with you over that.

Sorry folks, I'm not trying to start a debate or argument in this thread, I just felt quite strongly about what I read and felt I wanted to reply to it. Okay a guest is busy but come on, something as quick and simple as a handshake and a smile can make a fan's day, being told to pay your money or go away is not only rude but mean. I think James is possibly one of the last actors from Buffy that I would want to meet personally, I much prefer someone like Kristine Sutherland or Julie Benz any day.

Marginbuu, putting myself in your place and reading this thread, I know that if it were me, I would be absolutely gutted after going there to meet someone specific. Now I see both sides of the argument here, okay fair enough James was busy from when he arrived to when he left and had to do a photoshoot in between, but to be fair, how long does it take to shake someone's hand and say hello? 2 seconds? Imagine if you met someone you were a really big fan of and you were treated like that, especially at a public event, not only would you feel embarrassed and humiliated, you'd feel upset too. I appreciate James was busy but two seconds out of an entire day isn't much to ask and to have that person look at you, smile, say hi and shake your hand can make all the difference.

But that's what EVERYONE wants! Many, many of those going for autographs didn't go for autographs, they went to meet James. Many will never look at the autograph again. Her disability doesn't make any difference to that. I can see where she's coming from if that wasn't the case, but it is. I agree that nobody should have been rude, that was wrong, but what they said was not wrong in itself - it wouldn't be fair treatment, it would be (just imo, don't take this as an attack) unnecessarily preferential and unfair to everyone else who's in the same situation when the disability doesn't actually come into it.

Edited by Psychosis

I also appreciate what was said about the pay the money kind of thing, I heard JCB say something about needing to keep the money coming in or something, ushering customers forward like sheep, I didn't appreciate that but to be fair I'd had a good day and been extremely lucky with the guests I'd met and I didn't want to spoil it. My ultimate favourite celeb who I'm determined to meet is someone who will never appear at a show or convention, Kylie Minogue and I know if I met her and I was treated rudely and told I couldn't shake her hand or speak, I'd be very upset about it, absolutely gutted in fact so I can sympathize with you over that.

Sorry folks, I'm not trying to start a debate or argument in this thread, I just felt quite strongly about what I read and felt I wanted to reply to it. Okay a guest is busy but come on, something as quick and simple as a handshake and a smile can make a fan's day, being told to pay your money or go away is not only rude but mean. I think James is possibly one of the last actors from Buffy that I would want to meet personally, I much prefer someone like Kristine Sutherland or Julie Benz any day.

Where do you draw the line? We let 1 person do it, they're seen and everyone expects the same treatment. Soon we have hudreds going 'oh, but I only want to shake his hand' We cant say no to them cos we just let 1 person do it. The backlash would just be enormous

James was just too busy and other factors had to be taken into consideration. We dont know who she spoke to, we cant be sure it was even Showmasters Crew (thats partially irrelevant regarding how she was treated) but ultimately, her request could not be granted for reasons that are justifiable

Edited by Grazer

Where do you draw the line? We let 1 person do it, they're seen and everyone expects the same treatment. Soon we have hudreds going 'oh, but I only want to shake his hand' We cant say no to them cos we just let 1 person do it. The backlash would just be enormous

James was just too busy and other factors had to be taken into consideration. We dont know who she spoke to, we cant be sure it was even Showmasters Crew (thats partially irrelevant regarding how she was treated) but ultimately, her request could not be granted for reasons that are justifiable

Like I said, I didn't reply to this to get into a conflict over it, okay, the reasons are justifiable but the rudeness is not. You can politely be told sorry it's not possible. I'm not attributing that to anyone from Showmasters crew, as I said in other threads, they were all fabulous that I came into contact with, but the rudeness in general is not justified that's all I'm saying :) I don't think the backlash would be that huge, you have to judge on the individual circumstances, in this case it was one person so was it that impossible?

Edited by SilvaNemesis

I wanted to meet James again, so I got a photoshoot. I have a sort of "hidden disability" too... but not in that sense, I have got really bad feet, but no1 who meets me can tell even a little bit, so people never treat me differently... but that also means, say if I need to sit down cos I can't cope, people don't believe me, so I stay standing. So I can sympathise with the whole people not understanding.

I can also understand that you just wanted to shake his hand and say hi, as I'm sure many want to do. I brought my mum to a show years ago, and she went up to Sandra Dickinson just to say hi.... ended up having a rant about ex-husbands, but still!

But for people like James, he has a massive queue, and ultimately, hes only there to make money. He may enjoy meeting fans (as he told me, its a fantasy hugging lots of women!) but he wouldn't fly all the way to England just for that. You could always have just paid the money, and got the sig for a friend or something- as I've done before. But I'm not taking sides on this one, cos I see it both ways personally.

Out of curiosity, what software do you use to help you type/ read on the computer? I ask because I'm doing some coursework on design, and I need to know the name, but can't find it!! Thanks :blush: x

I don't think the backlash would be that huge, you have to judge on the individual circumstances, in this case it was one person so was it that impossible?

In a word - YES

There are many other factors to take into account.

Edited by Grazer

I don't think the backlash would be that huge, you have to judge on the individual circumstances, in this case it was one person so was it that impossible?

In a word - YES

There are many other factors to take into account.

Okay, if you say so, I'm not going to argue, I'll just agree to disagree on this one, but rudeness is not acceptable whatever.

• Moderators

The rules do need to be adhered to, though they should be enforced in a polite and professional manner, which they generally are as far as I'm aware :blush:

Unfortunately there will be cases from time to time that don't meet particular standards, but if the organiser is informed then something can be done.

I can see both sides to this arguement, I know for a fact that if you had got to James, he would have shook your hand and said hi, no problem...

Why did you not just pay the 20.00 and meet him that way - forget the auto???????

I have met James 3 times now (the last time at Gmex I was trying to be strong and save money but failed!!!!!!!)

The problem is that if SM's are seen to be favouring one person then all hell can break lose - - I cast my mind back to the Adrian Pasdar queue at Comic Con!!! - Mightmare!!!!

Lisa