Did anyone else struggle getting home?

Lizzy

problems getting home from GMEX? where should I start!!!

having left the event after crewing a 1830 to get the 1930 train to get me home to Swansea (South Wales) at 0130, I finally got home this afternoon about 1400. I kid you not. I am NEVER heading home on a Sunday evening post Manchester again. the 6hour journey (which took 4hours going up and was direct!!) took 18hours and cost me an additional £30 and lost me my day off tomoz (my first non-con/event day off in a month) as I didn't make it into work today for my 0930-1800 shift. not impressed.

surfy sah xx

:poki: did you decide to walk it instead of gettin the train or what

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, that was ****%&$%^"$$%&$%**** ing annoying! People flippin slowing down to have a look caused miles of talebacks! My bf saw it, but hell no I didn't slow down- I was busy getting out of the jam!!

Speaking of weather, omg how bad is it today?! I've been on the A4 and M40, and its so rainy, pee-ing it down at uni here- I've gone to hide in the compy room waiting for my bf. I'm NOT looking forward to the drive home. :P Too many puddles = not a happy lizzy!!

Believe me, I can make one the mood I'm in!! I'm ill, I've had to hand in coursework in this morning, hour to uni and back (practically still in my pyjamas) then go home, eat, shower, back to uni hours drive, do FOUR HOURS of flippin group work (i hate group work) then a presentation, now I'm stuck still at flippin uni waiting for my bf to get here on the bus then I have to get petrol (grr too expensive!) and drive hour back in the dark, with lots of rain, lots of backspray, and floods/big puddles.

Again, not happy bunny. So yes, Its a swear word!!

hehe, I'll live.... but I need my bed and food to be in a better mood. I won't get back till 9 and I have to cook! Well, shove the pizza in the oven.

Oh another thing, when I made my lunch I burnt my finger on the oven, and I didn't realise the burn cream was out of date and it turned green. So I have what looks like a bruised big red scar. But its just a green burn :S

We had to drive back to the Isle of Wight and this was at some services at some point near Birmingham...

Carnexttous.jpg

I got home at half past two in the morning :D

Why does it look like your car's in outer space :lol: LoL

we left at 5 got lost didnt get on the motorway and were still back in stoke for 6.30 , i have no idea how we did it lol

:smile: not another stokie.....geez there must be a breeding programme in progress around here,i feel all common now tut ,think i'll contemplate moving house later this week :poki:

Edited by Captain_Kronos

aw wow it settled on your car!! I refused to stop, I so shoulda done just for my cars first taste of settled snow!! I had work to finish off poop :dance: But its done now yay!!!! I' takin a sicky from uni today :dance: Sod it, I need a break. But despite the driving, it was a absolutely fantastic weekend :huh: And great to see all my friends too! :D

(DeeBee, I'm in a better mood than last night now lol... but I still drove through a flooded road on the way back!!)

aw!! Coming out of uni yesterday, the whole place was one big puddle- I made a run for it and missed and i got water in my socks! OOps! And I screamed infront of my groupmates :P Well I'm in my toasty warm room now so yay :D

I hate tuesdays anyway- Its a lecturer who is exactly the same as my dad :blink: (my dad I haven't spoken to in 10 years) but welsh! Freaks me out!

• Showmasters Admin

I left Manchester at 7pm. And got to MK at 12:30am.

The snow was soooo bad at one point I decided to come off at the services for a while, to see if it would slow down.

I did also have to take a break just north on MK, as I was suddenly very aware that I wasn't able to focus on the road or the snow due to sleepy-ness. I took a 15 minute snooze and drove the last bit home.

Trying to consentrate on a road you can't see (due to snow), in the dark, really takes it out of you.

It still amazes me though. At one point I could not see more than 20 feet in front of the car due to the snow and could only just make out the sides of lane I was in. So I slowed down to 30-40mph. Yet still people came flying past me at 70mph+ in the fast lane, where the snow was heaviest, flinging snow all over the place. Are they mad!!!!! Surely getting home 10 minutes earlier isn't worth the risk?!?!?

I know! At one point I was doing 60 cos it wasn't tooo bad, and peope were zooming past me! Its people like them who cause accidents that cause the flippin hold ups I was in!!

It really does take it out of you TT, I stopped after an hour cos I was soooo tired, and I got pro plus, so I woke up, but cos I was concentrating so much, I got a full on headache, and pulled over an hour later again to nearly throw up. I think a waft of fresh air stopped me. Plus the police car I parked next to lol. I'm still tired from it now, hence the sicky! But getting home after midnight, that really sucks :blink: *hugs*

Hit some sleet coming out of Manchester which turned to snow as we approached Birmingham. Aqua-planing at 70mph is not as fun as it first seems :blink:

Added an extra hour to my journey but its better than arriving dead

Edited by Grazer

I left Manchester at 7pm. And got to MK at 12:30am.

The snow was soooo bad at one point I decided to come off at the services for a while, to see if it would slow down.

I did also have to take a break just north on MK, as I was suddenly very aware that I wasn't able to focus on the road or the snow due to sleepy-ness. I took a 15 minute snooze and drove the last bit home.

Trying to consentrate on a road you can't see (due to snow), in the dark, really takes it out of you.

It still amazes me though. At one point I could not see more than 20 feet in front of the car due to the snow and could only just make out the sides of lane I was in. So I slowed down to 30-40mph. Yet still people came flying past me at 70mph+ in the fast lane, where the snow was heaviest, flinging snow all over the place. Are they mad!!!!! Surely getting home 10 minutes earlier isn't worth the risk?!?!?

Wahey !!.. Tommy had his first taste of snow then ! :D

We left about 7:45ish.. No major problems on M6 but we did did stop briefly due to slow moving traffic behind the gritters. Dropped Wendy off fine in Birmingham, and thats where the time was lost coming back to here. What should have been a 20 minute drive took over an hour crawling a 20mph all the way due to the none existent gritted roads. In fact i didnt one single gritter lorry on the road.. and from what i understand from mum, it started snowing here around 4:30 that afternoon.. :blink:

Well if it wasn't bad enough that I had to goto Crewe from Piccadilly to get a train back to N.Wales it just got so much better from Crewe onwards :blink::D

I get to Crewe a little bit earlier than planned and hopped on a packed virgin train.People were standing everywhere so in the end they told people to sit where there was space aka first class...score!So my train sets off ten minutes out of Crewe the whole train blacks out and comes to a complete standstill in the middle of nowhere!It takes them about ten minutes to get some power back.Long story short this happened 4 times between Crewe and Chester making a 20 minute journey into an hours journey.Get off at Chester to find a huge amount of people already waiting for the next train to Holyhead now doubled by the people getting off the broken virgin train.A platform change and a huge scram later (looked lke something out of that new loyds tsb ad with people getting on a train) the train was jam packed to the hilt seeing as they deem 3 carriages to Holyhead enough and it usually is.The train was then running late due to them trying to pile as many people possible on this train.So a normal 2 hour journey ended up taking me about 4 hours...fabulous!It was sods law though I was meant to be going elsewhere then heading home on the monday but I decided I just wanted to get home.Everytime I travel on a sunday I vow it will be the last time... :P

We left Gmex after the James Marsters photoshoot and headed back down the M6 to Berkshire.

The M6 and the toll was not too bad - yeah it was snowing but it was not too heavy.... The M40 was awful though and it took me ages to get to the M25 where visability was generally as poor as ever for that stupid road!!!!!!!

I left Gmex at 2.30 and got home at 7.30pm (including a stop at Warwick!!!)

I was very tired I can tell you....

Worth it though - I LOVE Gmex!!!! :D

Getting there was easy and quite relaxed because catching a later train meant fewer people and no fights for seats. Getting home was a nightmare because despite the fact that there are fourteen platforms at Manchester Piccadilly(Or however it should be spelt) there was no train going to Derby or it seemed anywhere that we go to and then catch a connecting train.