Full List of 2008 SMs events!

C.Parkers-Girl

Yeah - too many events - they're just going to cut the number of events people can attend, sure by opening up another location they might entice a few more people - but Coventry!? It's a bit close to MK really. I agree with them varying the locations - but why 2 events a year in Manchester and MK if they're going to do that?

It is a little overkill I must say. I do think that Manchester and Midlands should be once a year like LFACC, and and only have Collectormania MK as twice a year as that is the main show within the world of Showmasters.

I do see it as odd that Manchester and Midlands as so close together. Maybe they are planning to do a dual guest lists. So who ever you get a midland you get at manchester, as I know a lot of guests do stay over in the UK for a while after events.

I do see it as odd that Manchester and Midlands as so close together. Maybe they are planning to do a dual guest lists. So who ever you get a midland you get at manchester, as I know a lot of guests do stay over in the UK for a while after events.

It makes sense in business terms if the actors can stay one week in UK and attend two different events as Showmasters will pay for flights only once. But of course not all actors will be able to stay more than a week in UK.

I also have the feeling that there are way too many events ! I wasn't at G-Mex this week-end for this reason, would have love to but couldn't afford it. And the situation will get worse next year with two Collectormania, two G-Mex, two Midlands, two Eclipse, one LFCC, one Lockdown .... that's just too much and that does not take into account conventions from other organizers that I'm booked for.

A friend of mine went to G-Mex yesterday and said it was the quietest signing event he went to. That's a bit surprising if you look at the line-up in terms of quality but not so surprising if you think in terms of number of events.

Edited by lams9999

It makes sense in business terms if the actors can stay one week in UK and attend two different events as Showmasters will pay for flights only once. But of course not all actors will be able to stay more than a week in UK.

I also have the feeling that there are way too many events ! I wasn't at G-Mex this week-end for this reason, would have love to but couldn't afford it. And the situation will get worse next year with two Collectormania, two G-Mex, two Midlands, two Eclipse, one LFCC, one Lockdown .... that's just too much and that does not take into account conventions from other organizers that I'm booked for.

A friend of mine went to G-Mex yesterday and said it was the quietest signing event he went to. That's a bit surprising if you look at the line-up in terms of quality but not so surprising if you think in terms of number of events.

I would of not gone if Malcolm was not there. Big big fan of his. Quiet was a understatement. I went on Saturday and got there about 8.30am and there was a little over 100 people waiting. I got in and was out by 11am. I was shocked. That was even with Malcolm doing posed photos.

In someways I am pleased that there are more events. But on the other and I am thinking how much it will cost me. In the last six weeks I have done Collectormania MK, Autographica and now Manchester and that has cost me well over £1k. Yes Autographica is a very expensive event compared with others but still. I am on a budget and next year will be a killer.

I am in some ways happy that I am away on holiday next march so will miss Manchester and Midlands. I have a feeling that we are going to start seeing a lot of repeat guests. Just my feeling.

I think Midlands might be like Glasgow was with a small select guest list to test the water. I must say I was expecting Wales for this new event. Seemed the more logical option to me.

def think there are too many events i mean i'm soo looking forward to lockdown but i'm only expecting one a year i couldn't afford two, so i'm really hoping they don't do two lockdown's like there doing two Eclipse's as it would mean missing out.

For me unless there was a guest i really wanted it's lockdown, then i'll choose 1 or 2 more events this year prob lfacc and a collectormania.

Way to overkill on the events front

It's important for any business to try and expand its boundaries. But from what I saw in Manchester over the weekend, speaking to fans, guests and dealers, there is just too much going on at the moment for anyone to make good business. At one point during Sunday it was that quiet I think all but James Marsters had gone on lunch!

Alot of people have spent hard earned money on upcoming and already announced events like Eclipse and Lockdown that it wouldnt warrant spending anymore to go to Manchester really. I went personally to get some long awaited Red Dwarf autographs for my collection and to meet Malcolm but other than that it was a very quiet weekend for all. Did anyone notice how empty it was from stalls/dealers? Namely the large area in between the photo shoot/talks area.

And of course theyre killing competition. 2 companies if you ask me :hathor:

I couldn't believe how quiet it was on Saturday either.

I was there at 8.30 and out by 12 having got all the autos I wanted and been round all the stalls twice.

I was certainly disappointed by the stalls - not a great number there and as a result not much variety.

I hope SM aren't going to spread themselves too thin - I really enjoy their shows but if the guest list starts to dip in quality (or have too many repeat guests) AND the stalls dwindle in number then that would be a great shame. Manchester was certainly the quietest SM show I've been to and sadly the most disappointing. I was glad to meet the 3 guests I wanted but would seriously consider whether it would be worth the trip in future.

Yes I agree. I had a brilliant time on the weekend. Spent loads what with autos, food, place to stay and the 5 hours to get there and 5 hours back. Love these show but I won't be able to afford to go to them all next year - there are now too many shows so will have to choose about 5 depending on the guests.

The reason there were so few dealers is that this has never been a great show for them so 1st cpl of years they give it a chance if they don't make a profit they won't come again.

Problem is the more shows there are the less available funds people have so the less money the dealers make, and if they don't cover costs they drop the show.

So expect dealers to be thin on the ground next year with all the shows planned.

I think its a bit of overkill really, and SM will end up draining the market cause after all people only have so much money.

I don't mind there being a lot of shows, but I'm a little confused by the need for a Coventry event. I'm directly in between Coventry and Manchester and I don't really know who's going to benefit from the Coventry event other than lazy/tied down people in Coventry itself who can't/won't travel an hour north or south.

Well, here it goes:

March

1st - 2nd: Collectormania Midlands (depends on guests)

8th - 9th: Collectormania Manchester 4

14th - 16th: Eclipse (Heroes Fan Convention) (depends on guests)

May

2nd - 5th: C13

July

19th - 20th: LFACC (depends on guests)

August

23rd - 24th - Collectormania Glasgow (depends on guests)

September

25th - 28th: C14

November

8th - 9th: Collectormania midlands 2 (depends on guests)

14th - 16th: Eclipse 2 (Heroes) (depends on guests)

29th - 30th: Collectormania Manchester 5

Edited by Daniel

While I appreciate that SM are out to monopolise the convention market I think they need to remember that it is quality NOT quantity that counts if they can sustain the quality on all events then brilliant. But they cancelled two events last year and they were running less shows then, it just seems slightly over ambitious :P

Edited by GondorGirl

Understandable :lol: I like getting away from Stoke, except my mother calls me so often that I feel like I've known more of Stoke when I'm away than when I'm there.

I'm pondering whether I should buy a blonde wig with some of the money, LOL! Right now I'm unnamed cheerleader, need better hair to be Claire cheerleader :unsure:

I think doing a number events around the country is a good idea.

It gives more people the opportunity to attend at less of a cost.

less of a cost?

I live in Barnsley and EVERY event costs me hotel/transport/food etc... so 1 event may cost me close to £150 so if there are guests at 3 events that I want then it works out alot of money.

also someone mentioned stall holders ealier. Its correct that less people buy off stalls when there are so many events. Stall Holders will stop attending if they ae not going to make enough money :unsure:

was really excited when i first read the programme thing...until realised the money.,... i know what you mean c.parkers girl.....all adds up hotel, food, spending money and autos....but meh...having money is boring spending it is fun though....so thats what conventions are for

• Showmasters Admin

I have noticed that more then one of there events is help on the same weekend as other sci-fi events in the uk, so maybe, they are trying to take business away from other events

Just my opinion don't kill me for it.

:hathor:

LLAP :D

i will not kill you for it

but no that is not what we are trying to do 10th planet are running events on some of the days and we are good freinds but it can not be helped this time and thay are cool about it

so that should put your mind at rest zebredy

take care

jason :WAVE:

hi it is funny that if the show is busy like LFCC then people are unhappy if like G mex were its chilled and not so busy people are unhappy also ?

the event had the same aount of people that attended last year and sun was up on sat becouse of James only being there on Sunday i know we canot win but the show went well its only the 3ed event we have ran in Manchester and it is growing well shows take time

we are also runing events for local people as well as people that travel and yes we will have repeate guests as well as new ones and the more dates we have avalable to us to offer guests the more likeley thay are to beable to come to one of ower shows in the year

well thats were we are coming from so we will see

jason :WAVE:

hi it is funny that if the show is busy like LFCC then people are unhappy if like G mex were its chilled and not so busy people are unhappy also ?

Also on the amusing/ironic front, you have people moaning (OK, worrying) that with all these new shows there will be lots of repeat guests, suggesting that that is a bad thing. And then on any number of other threads people saying that Guest X was great and they would love to meet them again and others saying that they couldn't come so they missed Guest Y so please could you get them again, and a couple of the wildly enthusiastic raving that Guest Z was so fabulous that you should get them for every show...