constructive criticisms

Nik_Doof

Ok, don't take this as a flame, as this is the 3rd GMEX now I feel that the layout and format has settled down, but a few sticky points still exist:

1. Talk Arena - Ok, much MUCH larger than last time (THANK YOU!), that was my major gripe at the last one, but the exit was set out wrong, the entrance comes from a massive open space, and the exit into the main routes near the entrance? How about reversing it? It was quite annoying that everyone was crowding round the exit and no one was near the entrance, and you wasn't allowed out the entrance way?

2. Reserved/Gold Pass seats. Essential really for the people who have paid top dollar for the privilege of sitting there and also for people with disabilities or trouble walking etc, We respected the wishes of Showmasters and avoided them. Of course there was a few who ignored this and sat in what I would consider the "premium seats" in the talk arena, and in the talks I was in not a single crew member confronted them...

3. Signposting, when we first entered a mass of people crowed the show booth for talk tickets, and some poor lady having to shout out to people to go round the corner for talk tickets. A few signs here or there could of helped, even if they were on the show booth.

4. Queue fencing be-gone? The queue for Craig was spewing over into Peter Mayhew's queuing area which was making it a little difficult for people to get through to see Peter. Last show (iirc) didn't they have some roping or such?

Bar that, it's been a good show and i'll be back tomorrow :thumbup:

Ok, don't take this as a flame, as this is the 3rd GMEX now I feel that the layout and format has settled down, but a few sticky points still exist:

1. Talk Arena - Ok, much MUCH larger than last time (THANK YOU!), that was my major gripe at the last one, but the exit was set out wrong, the entrance comes from a massive open space, and the exit into the main routes near the entrance? How about reversing it? It was quite annoying that everyone was crowding round the exit and no one was near the entrance, and you wasn't allowed out the entrance way?

Actually I think it was the same size, definitely the same number of seats as LFCC. It's not as simple as you think. We have to consider a whole number of issues regarding layout, that most people probably w ouldn't consider an issue. For example how to optimize the number of wall segments that are used. How the queuing will work for getting people in and out of the area as quickly as possible.How do we keep different queues seperate? Not only to keep our turn around times down but in an emergency. How do we fit everything needed at the show (cos play changing rooms?) in with the floor plan while still leaving space for dealers etc. Once all these issues are considered then the layout becomes more logical.

2. Reserved/Gold Pass seats. Essential really for the people who have paid top dollar for the privilege of sitting there and also for people with disabilities or trouble walking etc, We respected the wishes of Showmasters and avoided them. Of course there was a few who ignored this and sat in what I would consider the "premium seats" in the talk arena, and in the talks I was in not a single crew member confronted them...

Actually as far as I'm aware this only happened once. I reminded the crew and I wasn't aware that it was a problem after that.

3. Signposting, when we first entered a mass of people crowed the show booth for talk tickets, and some poor lady having to shout out to people to go round the corner for talk tickets. A few signs here or there could of helped, even if they were on the show booth.

There were signs but....

Edited by sparks

Actually I think it was the same size, definitely the same number of seats as LFCC. It's not as simple as you think. We have to consider a whole number of issues regarding layout, that most people probably w ouldn't consider an issue. For example how to optimize the number of wall segments that are used. How the queuing will work for getting people in and out of the area as quickly as possible.How do we keep different queues seperate? Not only to keep our turn around times down but in an emergency. How do we fit everything needed at the show (cos play changing rooms?) in with the floor plan while still leaving space for dealers etc. Once all these issues are considered then the layout becomes more logical.

Well, it was larger than GMEX 2 :), I understand that alot has to be took into consideration just the main point was that even if the exact floorplan and layout was used you would of seen a quicker turnaround in talks if the entrance and exits were reversed. the main issue was that the exit lead out onto a route that passed dealers, so

Actually as far as I'm aware this only happened once. I reminded the crew and I wasn't aware that it was a problem after that.

My inital post was based on the Saturday talks, when I returned on Sunday there was no issues. It's good that it got sorted quickly :D

There were signs but....

Need to be clearer :)

Don't mistake me as having a whine for the hell of it, I enjoyed it alot, I just feel that with every show there will be good points and a few sticking points. If they're never noted then they'll never get fixed :)

Edited by Nik_Doof

I had a great time actually!!! Best show in ages deff :blink: LFCC had great guests, but there were the obv problems- most of which weren't SMs fault, but Earls court and the random screaming heroes fans that don't usually do cons.

GMEX was great, LOVELY guests- I wasn't upset about any of them (usually someone is in a mood) and I now have a few stories to tell my friends lol. I met up with loadsa friends and had loadsa time to chat with no1 pushing past us cos it was busy like usual. Only thnig that was a lil bad was not enough stalls lol- I could shop all day!!! :D

Oh, and there were too many sideways photos for guests, and no vertical ones :P That sucks cos all of my autos (look at my sig, i have lots) apart from 3 are all vertical, and Kristine, Malcom Trek and Hattie were all sideways.... I don't have the space for it lol!

As much as i enjoyed the day i found that i couldn't spend as much time there as last year. Gmex 2 i spent hours and hours going around the stall circuit and happily looking at everything on offer. This years it seemd like there were almost 2 rows at least missing making the place look empty. From some of the previous posts it seems i'm not the only one who noticed. But either way i enjoyed myself, met some cool guests and look forward to March.

I had a great time actually!!! Best show in ages deff :blink: LFCC had great guests, but there were the obv problems- most of which weren't SMs fault, but Earls court and the random screaming heroes fans that don't usually do cons.

GMEX was great, LOVELY guests- I wasn't upset about any of them (usually someone is in a mood) and I now have a few stories to tell my friends lol. I met up with loadsa friends and had loadsa time to chat with no1 pushing past us cos it was busy like usual. Only thnig that was a lil bad was not enough stalls lol- I could shop all day!!! :D

Oh, and there were too many sideways photos for guests, and no vertical ones :P That sucks cos all of my autos (look at my sig, i have lots) apart from 3 are all vertical, and Kristine, Malcom Trek and Hattie were all sideways.... I don't have the space for it lol!

For the photos, I have both portrait and landscape ones. I just put the landscape (sideways) ones in the photo album, well, sideways! LOl

Usually it happens because of height difference. I'm just a touch under 5'0, so whenever I'm next to a tall guest (e.g. Jason Momoa, Chris Judge, Jack Coleman, Kevin Sorbo) I get them portrait. Next time though, I think you can specify to the photographer exactly what you want, otherwise he'll just do what frames best.

I actually LOVE Gmex....

The venue is easy to get to from the South and hotels are reasonble prices in the area.

I also love that even with big guests (Adrian, James etc) it is never super busy and you can have more time with the guests and look around the stalls easier....

The only small issue I have is the lack of food avaliable to buy...... I lived on Chocolate for 2 days (until the evening!!) I was wondering if this had been mentioned before and if there was anything we could do about it

All in all - another AMAZING Gmex - roll on next year - Thanks SM's

Lisa

psychosis, it wasn't the photo photos, I mean the ones that they sign of themselves on the tables... my photo photos I stick anywhere lol. I put all my autos on my long wall (yea I have lots) so I have to be crafty with space... Sideways ones suck for space saving, they take up twice the room of a vertical one. Oh well, I've had to make do for now!!

My sister was a bit annoyed at the fact that whenever she tried to take a picture of James Marsters with her phone, someone told her to move back and not block the queue for one of the other guests even though there wasn`t one. There was literally nobody standing there or anywhere near the queue line but she was still asked to move back. Surely it would have been better to let her take a picture and then it would have appeared that the person was busy.

I saw JCB and wanted to ask for her autograph but i didn`t, the truth is i`m a little scared of her and i didn`t want her to shout at me.

• Showmasters Admin

My sister was a bit annoyed at the fact that whenever she tried to take a picture of James Marsters with her phone, someone told her to move back and not block the queue for one of the other guests even though there wasn`t one. There was literally nobody standing there or anywhere near the queue line but she was still asked to move back. Surely it would have been better to let her take a picture and then it would have appeared that the person was busy.

The problem is that we let one person stand there and suddenly there are 5 people stood there and then 10. And before you know it, the queue for the other guest is blocked and anyone wanting to see them can't join that queue because of the people stood in the way taking pictures of other guests. Even if the guest (who queue you are standing in) isn't there people sometimes want to go and look at the pictures they have, and if the queue is blocked they can't do that.

It does happen, as soon as people see someone else doing it they will flock to do the same. To you it may seem unfair and it's "Only you!", but as crew they have to look at the bigger picture, and "only you" can soon turn in to "Only you" and 10+ other people.

psychosis, it wasn't the photo photos, I mean the ones that they sign of themselves on the tables... my photo photos I stick anywhere lol. I put all my autos on my long wall (yea I have lots) so I have to be crafty with space... Sideways ones suck for space saving, they take up twice the room of a vertical one. Oh well, I've had to make do for now!!

Well, the same principle still stands. They're the same size so you shuold be able to fit the same amount on. Just stack the landscape ones on top of eachother instead of making a row side by side?

Well, the same principle still stands. They're the same size so you shuold be able to fit the same amount on. Just stack the landscape ones on top of eachother instead of making a row side by side?

Ooo...ark at lil miss organised!! :D

The problem is that we let one person stand there and suddenly there are 5 people stood there and then 10. And before you know it, the queue for the other guest is blocked and anyone wanting to see them can't join that queue because of the people stood in the way taking pictures of other guests. Even if the guest (who queue you are standing in) isn't there people sometimes want to go and look at the pictures they have, and if the queue is blocked they can't do that.

It does happen, as soon as people see someone else doing it they will flock to do the same. To you it may seem unfair and it's "Only you!", but as crew they have to look at the bigger picture, and "only you" can soon turn in to "Only you" and 10+ other people.

So true. We had the same issue when it came to my SO's turn, I had to push through 3 other people who were standing there taking photos, I don't think they actually got a autograph themselves but they were causing a obstruction for everyone else. In the end I only came out with one slightly reasonable picture of James signing...

I don't go hunting for photos of people if i'm not getting a auto at the same time, I'll only do it if the queue is quite empty and at least i'll be decent and ask the crew member if its ok first...

The crew member at the top of the Malcolm Mcdowell queue line on the Sunday actually asked my mate if we wanted him to take photos of us with Malcolm whilst he was signing!!!!! We nearly fell over!!!!!!!!!

Such a nice change!!!!!

We did manage to sneak some of Adrian as well from the queue line before the "No photos at all" sign went up!!!!!!!

Lisa

Edited by lisa2004

great event only complaint would be the poor selection of pics for nancy - i know she wasn't a big guest - but i was expecting them to have the famous 3 shot of the girls - that was recreated for the new halloween. the actual picture quality was really poor aswell.

The crew member at the top of the Malcolm Mcdowell queue line on the Sunday actually asked my mate if we wanted him to take photos of us with Malcolm whilst he was signing!!!!! We nearly fell over!!!!!!!!!

Such a nice change!!!!!

We did manage to sneak some of Adrian as well from the queue line before the "No photos at all" sign went up!!!!!!!

Lisa

That was probably me (if he had purple hair) and you're more than welcome :blush:

Such a nice change!!!!!

Lisa

That was probably me (if he had purple hair) and you're more than welcome :WAVE:

Yeah - it was you - thanks so much Grazer!!! Wish yu has been on the the Dom Monaghan queue in Sept!!!!! Can I request the same think now for the MR queue at C13!!!!!

Only joking - thanks again :P

Lisa

Well, it was larger than GMEX 2 :), I understand that alot has to be took into consideration just the main point was that even if the exact floorplan and layout was used you would of seen a quicker turnaround in talks if the entrance and exits were reversed. the main issue was that the exit lead out onto a route that passed dealers, so

Not convinced by that actually.....anyway maybe we wanted people to exit through the dealers..... :WAVE:

My inital post was based on the Saturday talks, when I returned on Sunday there was no issues. It's good that it got sorted quickly :D

We do try....in fact we can be VERY trying....lol

There were signs but....

Need to be clearer :)

Don't mistake me as having a whine for the hell of it, I enjoyed it alot, I just feel that with every show there will be good points and a few sticking points. If they're never noted then they'll never get fixed :)

To be honest signage is a perennial problem for any event. It doesn't matter how much you put up you end up always neeing more!

Don't worry about whinging there is nothing wrong with constructive criticism.

4. Queue fencing be-gone? The queue for Craig was spewing over into Peter Mayhew's queuing area which was making it a little difficult for people to get through to see Peter. Last show (iirc) didn't they have some roping or such?

Yes, at a particular point of the day Craigs queue did go a bit "spewy" but myself and Graham got it back under control as quickly as we could by asking the fans to pull more into the side and that id lose them to the other queue eeeek and they found this funny plus people where with family and friends so didnt realise theyd huddled and whenever i was free from taking money i asked people to politely stick with Craigs queue :angel: and Graham would ask further up (great team work hehe) when theyd staggered a bit away from Craigs queue, everyone was understanding but yes it wasnt fair on Peters queue system at the time and i apologise for that *SOWEE* :D but im hoping everyone still had an amzing wkend as it was fab :P

Yes, at a particular point of the day Craigs queue did go a bit "spewy" but myself and Graham got it back under control as quickly as we could by asking the fans to pull more into the side and that id lose them to the other queue eeeek and they found this funny plus people where with family and friends so didnt realise theyd huddled and whenever i was free from taking money i asked people to politely stick with Craigs queue :angel: and Graham would ask further up (great team work hehe) when theyd staggered a bit away from Craigs queue, everyone was understanding but yes it wasnt fair on Peters queue system at the time and i apologise for that *SOWEE*:D but im hoping everyone still had an amzing wkend as it was fab :P

Yeah - we just rocked :D