CAN SOMEONE TELL ME

Midnight

So your opinion is ignore information even if it's provided and ask anyway?

It depends on what the information is. I'm not trying to be rude, I just like hearing peoples views or tips on how things work. I think you tend to get better answers. Plus i think if your new, asking questions is a good way of getting yourself known in the group, and conversation often flows into other things once the question has been asked. If i know the answer to a question i'm happy to answer even if it is on the f.a.q.

• Moderators

Of course certain things require a slightly more informative answer, but in cases of very basic information like this topic I'd say it's far easier for someone to look themselves. It's amazing how many people (not just on here!) ask something that's clearly stated or easily available on Google for example.

I answer enough questions myself as I get bored sometimes directing people to the FAQs, and it's quicker than going back and finding the link etc, but I'm sure there's plenty of other conversational topics.

I just don't want people being encouraged to actively ask unnecessary questions. Plus if we're making the effort to compile stuff together for attendees, it's nice if people bother to read :unsure:

I'd say look first, then ask if you need someone to elaborate .. that's fair enough.

Edited by DavidB

Of course certain things require a slightly more informative answer, but in cases of very basic information like this topic I'd say it's far easier for someone to look themselves. It's amazing how many people (not just on here!) ask something that's clearly stated or easily available on Google for example.

I answer enough questions myself as I get bored sometimes directing people to the FAQs, and it's quicker than going back and finding the link etc, but I'm sure there's plenty of other conversational topics.

I just don't want people being encouraged to actively ask unnecessary questions. Plus if we're making the effort to compile stuff together for attendees, it's nice if people bother to read :unsure:

I'd say look first, then ask if you need someone to elaborate .. that's fair enough.

I agree with lovbug.... there's no harm in these questions being asked.. it's not like more worthy threads are being pushed off the page.

This event is different to the ones SM normally run. With them, the emphasis is on meeting guests and getting auto's, anything else is way secondary for most attendees. At full weekend events, there is a far greater emphasis on meeting like minded people and hanging out with them. Therefore, I would welcome basic questions in this part of the forum and let other people respond to them in a friendly way, with the aim of encouraging dialogue, rather than slapping them down in a negative way.

To Midnight

yeah, it's in Northampton, pretty much the middle of England... where are you coming from (I couldn't find it in the FAQ) :lol:

yeah, it's in Northampton, pretty much the middle of England... where are you coming from (I couldn't find it in the FAQ) :coolthumb:

This made me laugh more than it probably should -- it's been a LONG day at work.

While I agree it would not have been hard to find the answer to this question in the FAQ I assume the original poster is new to this part of the forum and thus not aware of all the info available.

And either way, I welcome discussion in this part of the forum because it's been quite dead the past weeks. Which is logical, I know (with the initial high and news for this new type of convention having faded some and the actual event being still so many months away), but that doesn't mean we should keep it that way and be so strict as to what should not be posted.

Edited by Zarina

• Moderators

I was just saying for future reference that's all - a few people spend a lot of time answering things that people (new or otherwise) could find themselves if they bothered to look. It's not much to ask :coolthumb:

Of course I don't want to stop discussion or whatever - it's common sense more than being strict.

So wheres it being held?

In my house, I heard. Just send the guests over and I'll make cups of tea while we get the Monopoly board ready. :poki:

Ohhh Monopoly, awesome! \o/ So where do you live? (or is that in the FAQ too?)

I lived in Nottingham for a year. After dealing with a broken washer, a broken microwave, bars over my windows, a phone line being spontaneously cut twice, no TV reception, hourly public transport that has no concept whatsoever of time, a broken dryer, a broken oven, broken doors, a broken boiler, a basement with no working electricity supply, really rude people, a university that required a BUS to get across, the staff managers from hell, lecturers who never turned up, and perhaps most importantly, nearly getting shot twice, I can safely say that Nottingham is the very definition of hell.

Then again, I did make friends with a very nice taxi driver who seemed to be stalking me :D

I lived in Nottingham for a year. After dealing with a broken washer, a broken microwave, bars over my windows, a phone line being spontaneously cut twice, no TV reception, hourly public transport that has no concept whatsoever of time, a broken dryer, a broken oven, broken doors, a broken boiler, a basement with no working electricity supply, really rude people, a university that required a BUS to get across, the staff managers from hell, lecturers who never turned up, and perhaps most importantly, nearly getting shot twice, I can safely say that Nottingham is the very definition of hell.

Then again, I did make friends with a very nice taxi driver who seemed to be stalking me :D

I must retrain the snipers.... :D