Talk Time

showmasters

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the guests eat separately from us?

LOL. Apparently they are all too good to dine with us common folk. Ever heard the phrase, "Don't $hit where you eat"? :P

Penguins sh*t where they eat. Hell, they eat their sh*t.

I started reading this thread on Graeme's side. I'm only planning at present to do Saturday, as I have my niece's birthday on the Sunday, so any chance of a talk off Mcdowell on Saturday would be good..

I often take some of the ranking SM have of a guest on how high up the splash page they put a guest. I'd also number the size/variety of fandoms a person can draw on. Malcolm would do for Trekkies, Heroes geeks, PC gamers, Classic movies, Movie Icon (Alex?) plus countless others.. That Dr Who guest might be a biggie for a few, but in terms of name recognition? Malcolm every time. I don't recall the BFI doing a Q&A screening with Craig Charles or Peter Davidson, although the latter is a nice guy when I've met him, and Charles does *that show we can't mention*, every time.

Btw, Hayden doesn't quite have the back catalogue of work that Lance has, but I guess you might say she'd be the biggest draw/moneymaker of the two, were they to plasce both at a SM show.. Most of the Hobbits had zip back catalogue, but my guess would be they were the biggest draws on their SM shows... Plus Shatner hasn't exactly got the biggest range/variety of work on his imdb cv, but I heard he was quite popular (til he started herding the folks through)

To those who only know Malcolm from Heroes..... hello? Did you bypass ST:Generations? do you have the movie knowledge that insists that movies reached their peak with Howard:A new kind of Hero? Which blanket do you live under in which arch at Waterloo Station not to have heard of/seen Clockwork Orange? Even the tabloid fodder that is the Lohan set did Alex for Halloween.... And ya can't exactly say they're Mark Kermode's equivalent in fandom.. (sorry, Mark Kermode is a movie critic that likes the Exorcist movie, and quite a few others, and I don't think got overly excited about the X-Files movie.... you did know they did a movie based on the X-Files... you have heard of the X-Files.... It was a cult TV show shown on that home of Cult TV, BBC, rather than that mainstream tv, Sci-fi Channel.... sorry if it's getting too technical....)

However, I did start to get wierded out when it was suggested that SM would provide a buffet for guests/fanboys.... How polite do you expect this lot to be? How quiet do you expect a hangar of a building to be? If its setup like last time, you'll have main guests at one end, and a few minor ones spread around the room, with corridors of trade stands. In the middle, if its like the last one, there'll be a big blocked off area, where the talks will be held.

Edited by gilgalad70

To those who only know Malcolm from Heroes..... hello? Did you bypass ST:Generations? do you have the movie knowledge that insists that movies reached their peak with Howard:A new kind of Hero? Which blanket do you live under in which arch at Waterloo Station not to have heard of/seen Clockwork Orange? Even the tabloid fodder that is the Lohan set did Alex for Halloween.... And ya can't exactly say they're Mark Kermode's equivalent in fandom.. (sorry, Mark Kermode is a movie critic that likes the Exorcist movie, and quite a few others, and I don't think got overly excited about the X-Files movie.... you did know they did a movie based on the X-Files... you have heard of the X-Files.... It was a cult TV show shown on that home of Cult TV, BBC, rather than that mainstream tv, Sci-fi Channel.... sorry if it's getting too technical....)

Thank you for that rather arrogant display of your film knowledge. Everyone has different tastes and are fans of different things. Therefore different people will know the same actor from different shows.

Malcolm McDowell is not exactly high on my list of popularity. I know who he is and what he's been in (joys of IMDb) but I'm not exactly falling over myself to meet him.

However, I did start to get wierded out when it was suggested that SM would provide a buffet for guests/fanboys.... How polite do you expect this lot to be? How quiet do you expect a hangar of a building to be? If its setup like last time, you'll have main guests at one end, and a few minor ones spread around the room, with corridors of trade stands. In the middle, if its like the last one, there'll be a big blocked off area, where the talks will be held.

If its like the last G-Mex, then that will be about right

Edited by Grazer

Thank you for that rather arrogant display of your film knowledge. Everyone has different tastes and are fans of different things. Therefore different people will know the same actor from different shows.

Malcolm McDowell is not exactly high on my list of popularity. I know who he is and what he's been in (joys of IMDb) but I'm not exactly falling over myself to meet him.

Sorry if the knowledge of Clockwork Orange is known only to those on a level of Grandmaster of the No-Homers, but please... considering the number of Trekkie fanboys there are... for a while I heard he was Hate Figure Number 1, because 'he' killed Kirk in Generations. You are aware of Star Trek aren't you?? Or has that passed you by too? And this board isn't exactly exempt from Trekkie fanboys, just like it's not exempt from those suggesting US tv shows shown on subscription tv channels, or on dvds imported from the US are somehow less 'CULT' than primetime UK terrestrial.

I'm sorry if knowledge of movies 101 that would just get you past the 100 quid level on Millionaire is considered arrogant. Considering the cosplay lot will expect normal foilks to be intimately knowledgeable of comics Jonathan Ross hasn't heard of, knowing Clockwork Orange, if only for it's reputation of having been banned in the UK almost since its release til Kubrick's death, it's hardly Mastermind Grand Final tie-break time.....

Mate, I knew who Dave Prowse was. I can't recall the number of times I passed up the opp to meet him.. I know who Robert Englund is... Not bohered yet to meet him. Folks can know guys from whatever aspect they want, but when it comes down to it.. the more popular/rarer he guest is, the bigger the guest is. How many folks will you get if you stressed '3rd X-Wing fighter in Star Wars ANH, compared to Torri Higginson if the public was polled?' Probably more for her, especially if used with visual aids... but Torri Vs Malcolm... No competition....

Sorry if the knowledge of Clockwork Orange is known only to those on a level of Grandmaster of the No-Homers, but please... considering the number of Trekkie fanboys there are... for a while I heard he was Hate Figure Number 1, because 'he' killed Kirk in Generations. You are aware of Star Trek aren't you?? Or has that passed you by too? And this board isn't exactly exempt from Trekkie fanboys, just like it's not exempt from those suggesting US tv shows shown on subscription tv channels, or on dvds imported from the US are somehow less 'CULT' than primetime UK terrestrial.

I'm sorry if knowledge of movies 101 that would just get you past the 100 quid level on Millionaire is considered arrogant. Considering the cosplay lot will expect normal foilks to be intimately knowledgeable of comics Jonathan Ross hasn't heard of, knowing Clockwork Orange, if only for it's reputation of having been banned in the UK almost since its release til Kubrick's death, it's hardly Mastermind Grand Final tie-break time.....

Mate, I knew who Dave Prowse was. I can't recall the number of times I passed up the opp to meet him.. I know who Robert Englund is... Not bohered yet to meet him. Folks can know guys from whatever aspect they want, but when it comes down to it.. the more popular/rarer he guest is, the bigger the guest is. How many folks will you get if you stressed '3rd X-Wing fighter in Star Wars ANH, compared to Torri Higginson if the public was polled?' Probably more for her, especially if used with visual aids... but Torri Vs Malcolm... No competition....

Did Star Trek pass me by? Possibly, I was brought up on Knight Rider and A Team. :P Yes, I am very well of Star Trek, doesn't mean I know who Malcolm McDowell is (though he played Soran)

I have heard of alot of films doesn't mean I know who starred in them. The Excorcist I have heard of for the same reasons I've heard of Clockwork Orange but I have no idea who stars in it as its not a film that interests me. I have more interest in meeting Kristine Sutherland than Malcolm McDowell cos she starred in Buffy and that is something I am interested in.

My argument is, just cos people know who he is, doesn't mean that they will want to meet him. People attend these events for different reasons. You have your reasons, I have mine. You may not have been overjoyed at meeting Dave Prowse but alot of people have been.

What were we talking about again?? Ah yes, Malcolm McDowell's talk being on the Sunday.

I'm sorry if knowledge of movies 101 that would just get you past the 100 quid level on Millionaire is considered arrogant.

No, spouting of on a forum comprised largely (though not exclusivly) of under 30's about a film that was made in 1971 and then banned in this country is considered arrogant. Slagging of forumites for the intellectual levels and comparing them to homeless people

blanket do you live under in which arch at Waterloo Station

is considered rude at best, trolling at worst.

movies reached their peak with Howard:A new kind of Hero?.... And ya can't exactly say they're Mark Kermode's equivalent in fandom.. (sorry, Mark Kermode is a movie critic that likes the Exorcist movie,

Sorry to be anally retentive but I think you mean: Howard: A New Breed of Hero? You need to be a certain age to have seen that film as I think it was withdrawn from VHS and the BBC have shown it once I think years ago. I saw it at the cinema in about 1986, man I'm old skool.

And yeah, most people here wont have heard of Kermode either (I think he has a thing for Blade Runner too). The truth is there are way more TV show fans rather than movie fans here and they're largely under 23 yrs old by the looks of it. There's not as much passion flying around about movies for some reason - just look at how few the number of posts are on the Current Movies and TV Series section and the number of TV guest names on the Guest Suggestions section vs film guest names.

Edited by nicky

a forum comprised largely (though not exclusivly) of under 30's about a film that was made in 1971 and then banned in this country

Sorry, Chris but I don't think age is a reason to not have heard of A Clockwork Orange, if that's what you're saying? I was younger than most people here but then again I doubt many were fanatically into films as I was back then even.

I had heard of it long before it was re-distributed in 2000 but I hadn't seen it before (cos it was unavailable) let alone heard it was a book first and I've never been a big Kubrick fan. I was born 4 yrs after the film was made and first heard of it when I was about 13 in 1989, a couple years after I saw Kubrick's other film, Full Metal Jacket (1987). I heard of 'Orange mainly because of it's notoriety (sic) and it's place in pop-culture as a cult-classic and infamously violent and controversial film which influenced many things including Blur's "The Universal" music video in 1994, TV ads, fashion designs and photography.

Point being, regardless of age - if you call yourself a film or literature fan or have any credible knowledge of art or media (and surely you must be one of these if you have the passion to attend TV/movie conventions and post on it's forum), you must have heard of A Clockwork Orange. Even Ali G knows of it. :WINCE:

"Entertainment Weekly", June 2006. Rated #2 of the 25 most controversial movies of all time.

"Premiere" (US film mag) voted this movie as one of "The 25 Most Dangerous Movies".

The American Film Institute (AFI) in 2007 ranked this as the #70 Greatest Movie of All Time.

IMDB ranks it at number 49 in the top 250.

Edited by nicky

Point being, regardless of age - if you call yourself a film or literature fan or have any credible knowledge of art or media (and surely you must be one of these if you have the passion to attend TV/movie conventions and post on it's forum), you must have heard of A Clockwork Orange. Even Ali G knows of it. :WINCE:

Did I make any comment that the average person on this forum claims to have any 'credible knowledge of art or media'?

Plus, it's one thing having heard of it... it's another thing to have knowledge of MM being in it.

I'm sorry? Clockwork Orange is somehow an unknown quantity because you're under 30? Now its had the (UK only) ban lifted it's on Channel 4 or E4 or Film 4 quite often. I believe even those under 30 can work out how to watch Channel4. Hmm, maybe if SM could get the voices behind Pokemon that might be more your area of knowledge, or is that too vintage too?

I did eventually get Dave's autograph. I was trying to mean, but I guess seeing as you're seemingly under 30, wouldn't get the comprehension bit, Dave is a big guest. He was Vader, (also in Clockwork Orange, btw, but we won't go there). At The show we can't mention, he gets a big table, big fuss and big price, leading to big queues.. I've seen it. At CM MK, he doesn't get as much of a fuss, and a smaller price, and less queues.. Seen that too. The point I was trying to make was, Dave is a big guest, but I found the number of appearances he did at MK and Brum diminished my urge to get his sig. Didn't mean I had no idea who he was, didn't mean he was off my radar.. I just accepted that he was a big name, big draw. Compare that to some of the mooted names on here that folks seem to think will be'big', and compare to Dave or Malcolm.

Apologies if anyone took offence to my suggestion about Waterloo Station, but how big a blind spot can it be if you think TV/Movies only started in 2000, and compare Icons with actors that once their current shows end might get another job, but would take a lot more exposure to attain a modicum of fame/notoriety that some folks that are allegedly 'small' names have outside in the real world.

Did I make any comment that the average person on this forum claims to have any 'credible knowledge of art or media'?

No, you didn't.

I was saying that surely they must have some knowledge if they have the passion to attend TV/movie conventions and post on it's forum...but then again, maybe for some of them, their attention doesn't stretch far beyond their own interests.

I have knowledge of ACO. I've seen ACO. I know MM is in ACO.

I still have no interest in meeting him for ACO as I didn't like it. I did, however, like heroes. Does that make me wrong? Of course not. It makes our opinions different, which is fine.

Point being, regardless of age - if you call yourself a film or literature fan or have any credible knowledge of art or media (and surely you must be one of these if you have the passion to attend TV/movie conventions and post on it's forum), you must have heard of A Clockwork Orange. Even Ali G knows of it. :unsure:

Plus, it's one thing having heard of it... it's another thing to have knowledge of MM being in it.

I think we know the answer to your first question... and as for the second.... He hasn't changed THAT much in 37 years facially, apart from the beard and white hair, and the loss of the mascarad eyelashes. Oh my brothers..

Btw, you are aware East Angular isn't abroad, right?

Oh and if u google Clockwork Orange and halloween, yo find all sorts of stuff. a 9th grader going dressed as Alex, Bart Simpson dressed as Alex in the Simpsons (you're under 30, you might not know about that show...) and I'm sure I've seen shots of the Hilton/Lohan Hollywood set (that I think might be under 30..) dressed as Malcolm/Alex from Clockwork Orange.. I'm looking forward to seeing how many folks go to the cosplay as Alex..

I'm looking forward to seeing how many folks go to the cosplay as Alex..

Given the apparent amount of people here unfamiliar with MM or ACO I'd say get ready to be disappointed....though in my 4 yrs of con-going since C4 I've seen only one girl dressed as Alex at one of the parties.

I still have no interest in meeting him for ACO as I didn't like it. I did, however, like heroes. Does that make me wrong? Of course not. It makes our opinions different, which is fine.

I quite follow that reasoning, there are lots of sequences that could be called unpleasant. That wasn't the reason it was banned. Kubrick felt responsible because of the media furore whipped up because of 'copycat' attacks in the wake of its release. Everyone else in the world took the film for what it was, Britain had to try to recreate it, badly.

There are plenty of other reasons to meet Malcolm, but to claim youth as a reason not to even know about classic movies like that... and then suggest that an actor in a blink and you miss him part in a tv show is somehow a bigger draw because you know who he is, whilst the majority of folks are oblivious to this modern day Olivier only you know about....

Did Star Trek pass me by? Possibly, I was brought up on Knight Rider and A Team. :P Yes, I am very well of Star Trek, doesn't mean I know who Malcolm McDowell is (though he played Soran)

I have heard of alot of films doesn't mean I know who starred in them. The Excorcist I have heard of for the same reasons I've heard of Clockwork Orange but I have no idea who stars in it as its not a film that interests me. I have more interest in meeting Kristine Sutherland than Malcolm McDowell cos she starred in Buffy and that is something I am interested in.

My argument is, just cos people know who he is, doesn't mean that they will want to meet him. People attend these events for different reasons. You have your reasons, I have mine. You may not have been overjoyed at meeting Dave Prowse but alot of people have been.

What were we talking about again?? Ah yes, Malcolm McDowell's talk being on the Sunday.

Exactly. Personally, I know who Malcolm is, I've seen ACO and in fact I know of and have seen a great many movies he has been in (how could anyone have forgotten to mention the classic that is Tank Girl?! :P) and I consider him a big name and an exciting addition to the line up at GMex. However... do I want to pay to get his autograph or have a photo taken with him? No. Will I be desperate to see his stage talk? No. Sure I'd like to see it but if I don't get chance or have a conflict then so be it. I won't be gutted. Personal preference. Doesn't make me any less of a fan or any less knowledgable than those who think he's the best thing since sliced bread.

I'm sorry? Clockwork Orange is somehow an unknown quantity because you're under 30? Now its had the (UK only) ban lifted it's on Channel 4 or E4 or Film 4 quite often. I believe even those under 30 can work out how to watch Channel4. Hmm, maybe if SM could get the voices behind Pokemon that might be more your area of knowledge, or is that too vintage too?

[snip]

Apologies if anyone took offence to my suggestion about Waterloo Station, but how big a blind spot can it be if you think TV/Movies only started in 2000, and compare Icons with actors that once their current shows end might get another job, but would take a lot more exposure to attain a modicum of fame/notoriety that some folks that are allegedly 'small' names have outside in the real world.

Umm... I think what people perhaps are taking offence to is your condescension. So you're a big movie/trivia fan, good for you. Other people aren't. And suggesting that anyone under the age of 30 is a philistine for not knowing about/appreciating older TV or movies (not to mention casting saracastic aspersions about their level of intelligence when confronted with a TV remote and suggesting all they understand is Pokemon!) is actually quite superior and condescending.. and yes, offensive. So what if some people are interested solely in genre TV and have no interest in big name movie stars like Malcolm except where their careers intersect with genre TV? That's their interest, let them enjoy it. Does it hurt you? Does it hurt Malcolm? No. Does it make their preferences or interests any less valid than yours? No.

Personally, I'm in my early 30s and my friend who's coming with me to GMex on Sunday is in her 20s.. and I can pretty much guarantee without even asking her that she probably hasn't even heard of ACO. So her interests are different than mine, her experience and knowledge is different than mine. Do I look down on her because of that? Heck no! Okay so I might tease her about the fact that she's never heard of half the film titles I mention in conversation.. and then I lend her the DVD! :unsure: And she probably congratulates herself on being far less of a geek than I! :lol:

There are plenty of other reasons to meet Malcolm, but to claim youth as a reason not to even know about classic movies like that... and then suggest that an actor in a blink and you miss him part in a tv show is somehow a bigger draw because you know who he is, whilst the majority of folks are oblivious to this modern day Olivier only you know about....

The thing is that no-one is wrong here. If you like ACO, go see him for that. If you like heroes, go see him for that. If you don't like/know him, don't go see him!

It really doesn't matter that much, does it?!

I'm looking forward to seeing how many folks go to the cosplay as Alex..

Given the apparent amount of people here unfamiliar with MM or ACO I'd say get ready to be disappointed....though in my 4 yrs of con-going since C4 I've seen only one girl dressed as Alex at one of the parties.

What better reason for the cosplay folks to try it out then.

No, you didn't.

I was saying that surely they must have some knowledge if they have the passion to attend TV/movie conventions and post on it's forum...but then again, maybe for some of them, their attention doesn't stretch far beyond their own interests.

Why should it? I don't pay attention to the world of cricket, because I'm not interested in it. In a more simialr vein, I'm not paying any attention to the SGA guests, because I'm not interested in the show. I want MM's signature ONLY because of Heroes. Yes, I've seen Clockwork Orange and ST: Generations... didn't much enjoy either of them.

So you're saying that if someone doesn't know/like Clockwork Orange, then they must be Pokemon fans? Funnily enough, there's been a LOT of TV and Film history in the 36 years since Clockwork Orange was made. It wasn't a hugely popular film at the time and is considered 'cult' at best now. So why should everyone under 30 be familiar with it? Are you familiar with EVERY cult film of the last 30-40 years?

I did eventually get Dave's autograph. I was trying to mean, but I guess seeing as you're seemingly under 30, wouldn't get the comprehension bit, Dave is a big guest. He was Vader, (also in Clockwork Orange, btw, but we won't go there). At The show we can't mention, he gets a big table, big fuss and big price, leading to big queues.. I've seen it. At CM MK, he doesn't get as much of a fuss, and a smaller price, and less queues.. Seen that too. The point I was trying to make was, Dave is a big guest, but I found the number of appearances he did at MK and Brum diminished my urge to get his sig. Didn't mean I had no idea who he was, didn't mean he was off my radar.. I just accepted that he was a big name, big draw. Compare that to some of the mooted names on here that folks seem to think will be'big', and compare to Dave or Malcolm.

He isn't a big draw. Yes, he had a role as one of the most memorable bad guys in teh history of cinema, in three of the biggest grossing films of all time (I have a feeling a 'few' more people have seen the original Star Wars trilogy than saw Clockwork Orange), but he's been to so many events that he is no longer considered 'top billing'. 'Big' on here often refers to the popularity on teh day. I've said that over the weekend, MM will probably be the most popular (and I bet he signs more Heroes stuff than anything else) - although James Masters will probably be busier than him on Sunday.

By the way, where did I say I was under 30?

Who said Movies started in 2000? (It was 1977). Icons are (I believe) representative of their audience. Therefore someone who is 10 will 'worship' different icons to someone who is 40. James Dean (for example) who be any icon to many - most will have heard of him - yet to others he's just an old actor, who met an untimely death. It's down to their perspective and maybe their icons are Patrick Stewart or Sarah Michelle Geller (who you would no doubt dismiss as a 'small' name)

Point being, regardless of age - if you call yourself a film or literature fan or have any credible knowledge of art or media (and surely you must be one of these if you have the passion to attend TV/movie conventions and post on it's forum), you must have heard of A Clockwork Orange. Even Ali G knows of it. :unsure:

I think we know the answer to your first question... and as for the second.... He hasn't changed THAT much in 37 years facially, apart from the beard and white hair, and the loss of the mascarad eyelashes. Oh my brothers..

Btw, you are aware East Angular isn't abroad, right?

Oh and if u google Clockwork Orange and halloween, yo find all sorts of stuff. a 9th grader going dressed as Alex, Bart Simpson dressed as Alex in the Simpsons (you're under 30, you might not know about that show...) and I'm sure I've seen shots of the Hilton/Lohan Hollywood set (that I think might be under 30..) dressed as Malcolm/Alex from Clockwork Orange.. I'm looking forward to seeing how many folks go to the cosplay as Alex..

So apart from his beard, his hair, some wrinkles and eyelashes, he hasn't changed much.... well that's helpful, thanks.

Yes, I'm fully aware of where East Anglia is, I am not a moron, nor am I some kind of intellectual snob...

I know there are things about ACO on the net.... but only if you are interested in looking... which I'm not.

I quite follow that reasoning, there are lots of sequences that could be called unpleasant. That wasn't the reason it was banned. Kubrick felt responsible because of the media furore whipped up because of 'copycat' attacks in the wake of its release. Everyone else in the world took the film for what it was, Britain had to try to recreate it, badly.

My understanding is that it wasn't banned... that this is a common mistake... I understand it was withdrawn from the UK at the Directors request, hence it made it to DVD after his death.... still, what do I know...

Your definition of 'classic' seems to stem from films you (and film reviwer types) deem 'worthy'... where as someone else's definition might be 'fun' or 'entertaining'... ACO is neither of these.

Umm... I think what people perhaps are taking offence to is your condescension. So you're a big movie/trivia fan, good for you. Other people aren't. And suggesting that anyone under the age of 30 is a philistine for not knowing about/appreciating older TV or movies (not to mention casting saracastic aspersions about their level of intelligence when confronted with a TV remote and suggesting all they understand is Pokemon!) is actually quite superior and condescending.. and yes, offensive. So what if some people are interested solely in genre TV and have no interest in big name movie stars like Malcolm except where their careers intersect with genre TV? That's their interest, let them enjoy it. Does it hurt you? Does it hurt Malcolm? No. Does it make their preferences or interests any less valid than yours? No.

Damn! You said that so much better than I managed! I agree!!

Is there any particular time you'd like it to be at as well Graeme?

Like if you have a lunch scheduled or something.

:coolthumb:

i never laughed at any of your posts dav b -but this one had me chuckling quite a bit!

and the other one where someone was on about "naked self interest" - what the hell?? there should be a new forum award for funniest forum member - cause some of this stuff has been cracking me up!

That was ENTIRELY unnecessary.

As for A Clockwork Orange. Yes, I've heard of it. But the fact that I've heard of it and know what it's about does not mean that I can somehow list the whole cast in order of importance. The closest I've ever come to seeing it was seeing the title on a tape in my best friend's "illegal films" cabinet when I was 15. Thank you, I hardly think that's somehow indicative of my worth as a human being.

I maintain that the first time I have (to my knowledge) seen Malcolm McDowell or at least heard his name is in Heroes. And that does not say anything about me - moreso about you, if that's a problem for you.

And just so you know, I have the whole of the X-Files on DVD. Then again, I would've thought that something like the X-Files was far too mainstream and common for such an avant-garde royalty such as yourself.

Edited by Psychosis