Manchester Airport to G-Mex: How can I get there?

nicky

I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one coming from the airport but was wondering, if I go, how I get to the G-Mex from Manchester Airport?

I think there's a train from the airport to the city but after that how do I get to G-Mex or is there a train that goes from the airport direct to the G-Mex?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by nicky

Hiya,

I've lived on the outskirts of Manchester for a few years now and had to find out these kind of options when I moved here (although MK12 was my first Collectormania...so I've never been to this do at Gmex before):rolleyes: There is a train from the Airport which goes to Manchester Piccadilly.

From there you have a few options -

you could get a tram (routes to Altringham and Eccles all stop at Gmex and they run around every 10 minutes most of the day)

or you could get a mainline train to Deansgate station (which is pretty much where Gmex is)....routes to Liverpool, Barrow-in-Furness etc.

Or a taxi (there are plenty of them!)

Or even the 'free shopper bus' as I think that goes to Deansgate (via a very convoluted route round the one-way system)

However, depending on the amount of stuff you have with you to carry, and how much of a hurry you are in, you could walk it in 15-20 minutes, as the City Centre is pretty compact and no-where is very far away. If you want this option give me a shout and I will (attempt) to give some directions using shops etc. as landmarks.....or depending on the time you could follow me (as thats the way I'm going)

HTH a bit? Maybe? :D

I'm just getting a taxi, lol. My bus drops me off there so I'm gonna get a taxi instead of fiddling with public transport

just by curiosity because I'd maybe consider a taxi for the transfert too,how much does it cost from the airport to Gmex? it'd be really grateful if you can tell me approx. or you can PM me if you don't want to write it on the board. Thank you. :)

LYVIE

I'm just getting a taxi, lol. My bus drops me off there so I'm gonna get a taxi instead of fiddling with public transport

just by curiosity because I'd maybe consider a taxi for the transfert too,how much does it cost from the airport to Gmex? it'd be really grateful if you can tell me approx. or you can PM me if you don't want to write it on the board. Thank you. :)

LYVIE

To be entirely honest, I really don't know. I haven't got the taxi before. I'm just getting it because I'm crewing and can't really waste time in getting there. Public transport will undoubtedly be cheaper, it's about twenty minutes.

Edited by Psychosis

Isn't really any help to you Nicky sorry but in general i didn't realise so many of you used public transport tbh,I'm going to G-mex3 on the Saturday i've not decided wether i'm going on train or driving up yet but i usually end up driving coz a can't be bothered getting to and from the train station.Only myself and one or possibly 2 m8's goin so could certainly give one and more than likely 2 people lifts if it helps anyone out coming from Stoke way...that goes for the MK events too for CM13,just let me know if it makes anyone's day easier you'ld be more than welcome to jump in,strictly first come first served of course :YAHOO:

Edited by Captain_Kronos

To be entirely honest, I really don't know. I haven't got the taxi before. I'm just getting it because I'm crewing and can't really waste time in getting there. Public transport will undoubtedly be cheaper, it's about twenty minutes.

AH OK I see. Yeh I know public transport is probably cheaper although I try to take the most infos possible before I get there; the website of the Manchester airport is very usefull but if you guys know what is the best way (faster, cheaper...) to get to Gmex, don't hesitate to post here so you'd help us to find our road. Thanks Psychosis for your quick answer by the way :)

LYVIE

I know roughly how far it is from the airport to G-mex and would imagine it to be somewhere around the £20 mark tbh

Isn't really any help to you Nicky sorry but in general i didn't realise so many of you used public transport tbh,I'm going to G-mex3 on the Saturday i've not decided wether i'm going on train or driving up yet but i usually end up driving coz a can't be bothered getting to and from the train station.Only myself and one or possibly 2 m8's goin so could certainly give one and more than likely 2 people lifts if it helps anyone out coming from Stoke way...that goes for the MK events too for CM13,just let me know if it makes anyone's day easier you'ld be more than welcome to jump in,strictly first come first served of course :YAHOO:

You won't be going early, will you? I'm in Stoke but I'm getting the bus at 6 :YAHOO:

My advice would be to take a direct train from Manchester Airport (MIA) to Deansgate (DGT) which run at least every hour (http://nationalrail.co.uk/). Deansgate Train Station is just across the road from the Mertolink Station (they are attached by an overhead footbridge) so it’s not really any further away. From there it’s only a 5-10 minute walk to the GMEX.

If a direct train is to long a wait then take a train from Manchester Airport (MIA) to Manchester Piccadilly (MAN) then take the Metrolink to the GMEX.

The FAQ says I can take the free Metroshuttle bus to the G-Mex. Where do I get off and which serive do I take?

If your going from Piccadilly, its best to go on the Purple Number 3 that would take you most of the way. Then you would have to get off before St Peters Square, there is a stop across form the Paramount Bar, you would have to get off there(Just ask the driver to tell you when your stop is, im sure he will mention when you have to get off). Then it would be less than a 5 min walk to the GMEX

Isn't really any help to you Nicky sorry but in general i didn't realise so many of you used public transport tbh,I'm going to G-mex3 on the Saturday i've not decided wether i'm going on train or driving up yet but i usually end up driving coz a can't be bothered getting to and from the train station.Only myself and one or possibly 2 m8's goin so could certainly give one and more than likely 2 people lifts if it helps anyone out coming from Stoke way...that goes for the MK events too for CM13,just let me know if it makes anyone's day easier you'ld be more than welcome to jump in,strictly first come first served of course :P

You won't be going early, will you? I'm in Stoke but I'm getting the bus at 6 :D

Oh wow :o ...i thought that time of day was just foke lore ya know...stuff of legend lol....wasn't planning on going that early tbh,what time do you need to be there for?

Edited by Captain_Kronos

LOL! I do the craziest thing for conventions :P I'm going again on Sunday but at some kind of reasonable hour, too bad you're going on Sat.

I need to be there before 7:30. No worries, my current arrangements will get me there just fine :D

Ahhhh ok,well if your crazy :o ,i mean crewing..that's understandable ...sorry about that,if anything changes and i end up going Sunday i'll let you know.Any other events you go to though,if you could use a lift i'll more than likely be going so just prod me gently ok :dance: btw i've added my email/msn addy on to my profile in case i miss any mesages on here :dance:

Edited by Captain_Kronos

Okay! :D Thank you! I'll probably be going to the majority of them, lol. I'm already plotting for collectormania 13.

LOL ohhhhh YOUR plotting :uhoh: *pops head out of window"..and i thought that was fog outside,must be eminating from your head :P I'll be off to another(non-SM)*washes mouth out* event at the end of November if your going there also....obviously can't discuss it here but my addy's there if you are k.

Edited by Captain_Kronos

This time I'll succeed. This time *nods*

Time to marshall the forces and STOP THE CHEERLEADER!!!

But I'd appreciate it :P

I am shocked..holdon, no I am not!! :D

Edited by AJ Jones