Tales of Beedle the Bard

rainbowsparkle

When I heard that JKR had written these tales in full, I was over the moon! I think it's a fab idea - I just don't think it's so fab that they're so limited. Only seven books - six to be given to people who have been "influential" in the success of HP and one to be auctioned for charity - what about the rest of us?

As my friend pointed out, anything that's auctioned, whether it be this book or a walk-on part or whatever, can only go to somebody rich enough to outbid everyone else. Surely a raffle would be fairer? Alright, so it would take some organising, but think of all the HP fans who could only afford a fiver for a ticket, rather than thousands in an auction - the money would still be raised, maybe even more, and everyone would be in with a shout of winning, not just the well-off!

I only hope the stories are published online somewhere for people to read - OK, we wouldn't own one of the books but at least we could read the stories. I can't believe JKR wouldn't give everyone the chance to read them, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

• 2 weeks later...

You have obviously missed the part about it's eventual release online via a website. The whole point of doing these 7, although JK originally said that only one would be published, was to raise money for charity. She has added that in time the tales will be published bit by bit via a website, with the possibility of downloading them for a price - all of which will go to charity.

You have obviously missed the part about it's eventual release online via a website. The whole point of doing these 7, although JK originally said that only one would be published, was to raise money for charity. She has added that in time the tales will be published bit by bit via a website, with the possibility of downloading them for a price - all of which will go to charity.

I think its great that she is doing this for charity, but I'd love to read the book, and so I really hope that she does publish it via the website :P

Edited by Laurenx

• 4 weeks later...

Despite Sotheby's only expecting the book to raise £50,000 at auction, the last of the hand written copies has sold for a whopping £2,000,000. This is the only copy going to the general public, and the proceeds go to her own charity Children's Voice. No name of the buyer has been published.

I still think the book would have raised more money through a national raffle and the end result would have been fairer. The art dealers will probably either display it in a glass case or sell it on for even more money which won't go to charity. At least with a raffle, the actual HP fans would have been in with a chance of owning it.

Hmph :D

I still think the book would have raised more money through a national raffle and the end result would have been fairer. The art dealers will probably either display it in a glass case or sell it on for even more money which won't go to charity. At least with a raffle, the actual HP fans would have been in with a chance of owning it.

Hmph :angry:

Amazon own it, not the art dealers.

Hmph :D

I can understand where you are coming from, but I think raising that much money through a raffle may be stretching it a little. You will have your hard core HP fans, but you will also have the neh sayers who will ask the question of whether it is worth buying tickets as you will never win it. I think, for the charities sake, this option of an auction was going to near enough guarantee more money. I know they were shocked at $4,000,000. But an estimate of $100,000 was a bit low.

I guess we have to keep our fingers crossed that the proposed downloads of the Tales turn up on the net as suggested.