X Files Reunion to celebrate the new movie?!

bionicruth

• Moderators

I really don't understand why people are arguing against this topic. Just because the latest installment is an acquired taste, guests from the TV show are not worth inviting over? Or is the debate purely about whether the guests would be more popular NOW than they would have been? If so, obviously the fans who made the effort to see the new film would jump at the chance of meeting Duchovny, Anderson & Pilleggi, and for the actors from the TV show the movie would not make any difference to their popularity (unless it awakens interest from the fans who drifted away).

Personally I was offering my opinion on guests from a business standpoint, and why I thought that it was unlikely. I'm a big fan of The X Files, with it always being in my top 5 cult shows of all time, but organisers of signing events have never seemed to want to get X Files guests on a regular basis, so it would seem that I'm not the only one that has an unfortunately bleak view on getting them as part of a lineup.

I would've expected an attempt to be made by an organiser to get X Files guests if the new movie was a success, as that would've been a logical move. However, regardless of the show being thrust into the limelight recently because of the movie, it hasn't been a success and I would imagine it has gained very few new viewers. That coupled with the fact that a lot of 'old' fans were hugely disappointed with the new movie means that I can't see any organiser being interested in getting the guests in the current climate beyond whoever I've already mentioned in the past in this topic.

It's just offering an opinion in the end, and I'm not trolling this topic as I'm someone who WOULD meet the guests, but simply I don't expect them to be high on any priority list in the future.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But Showmasters don't always use their logical, business head with every guest they get. As I mentioned previously, the attempt to get the stars of Diff'rent Strokes, or someone from CHiPS - who knows how or why they took those particular notions, unless they are personal fans of those shows. Some guest announcements seem completely random. Surely then, regardless of anyone's opinion of the film, they can see that plenty of fans want to meet stars from the TV show?

I disagree completely about it not being viable. The new X-Files movie is not primarily aimed at new viewers. It's an extended episode which was to a large extent was for the X-Files fans. It rekindled the interest that people had in the show and made people remember how much they liked the show. If they don't like the movie, it doesn't matter.

Your read of the situation won't be in line with what Fox's views are on the subject. When they greenlit this, it would have been with the express mandate that the film absolutely had to pull in new viewers and kickstart the franchise - meaning more DVD sales, and another film. They will be very annoyed with what Carter has delivered - basically an extended episode of the TV show. It *will* make its money back, with a small profit - it's budget was only $30m, and with what it takes at the cinema + dvd sales + TV rights it will easily recoup that. But what Fox wanted was something to re-invigorate the franchise for another 10 years - and that's not what Chris Carter has given them.

I doubt this film is going to bring any new fans to the table for Fox, and in a similar way I doubt very much that it would make X-files guests any more popular than they would have already been otherwise...

Where did you hear about Fox's plans for the next 10 years? From everything I'd read it was a standalone film and onlyif it was a success would Chris Carter do a 2012 sequel.

Film studios don't make films because they love the cinema, or a particular TV show. Directors may do, and occasionally even producers, but film studios make films to make money. And if you have a product that once did very well in the marketplace but now has stopped being a revenue stream, and it's creator asks you for $30m to make a new film, you're only going to do so on the proviso that it re-opens your revenue stream for that product.

Carter's pitch was based around a standalone film, that didn't require fans who knew the intricacies of the show the way the first did, that might get in new viewers. If it had made enough money, Fox would have given him a bigger budget next time to do his 2012 invasion story - but as it is, it hasn't really performed that well, and as such this is probably the last we'll see of Mulder and Scully I'm afraid. It's a real pity... but at the end of the day, I think this job was too big to be given to Chris Carter...

it hasn't really performed that well, and as such this is probably the last we'll see of Mulder and Scully I'm afraid. It's a real pity... but at the end of the day, I think this job was too big to be given to Chris Carter...

Duchovney even tried to blame the lack of success on The Dark Knight didnt he?

it hasn't really performed that well, and as such this is probably the last we'll see of Mulder and Scully I'm afraid. It's a real pity... but at the end of the day, I think this job was too big to be given to Chris Carter...

Duchovney even tried to blame the lack of success on The Dark Knight didnt he?

He did - and I have to say it was a bizarre decision to put it in the same schedule as TDK and The Mummy 3. If it were me, I would have scheduled it in the autumn, and avoided those two like the plague. Trouble is at summer time the average non X Files fan is just not going to go to see a small X Files film when you've got TDK and TM3, and Hellboy 3 out at the same time.

But...this talk of Fox's plans for the next ten years is pure assumption. There was never any statements or comments indicating a long-term plan for re-launching the X-Files on the public. For all we know it COULD have just been made because Fox thought there would be a large fanbase still around (and obviously make money), and if there was, go ahead with more films.

Anyway, I would recommend any fans of the TV show go see it. Give it a go - I thought it was really good. Enjoyed it thoroughly.

But Stargate: Continuem was only a TV movie? X-Files 2 was a major summer cinema release, isnt it meant to have a bigger budget? I mean we are talking about DD and GA as the stars.

Yes of course - but my point was it makes you wonder where exactly that $30m went - especially when you consider that Duchovny and Anderson took points rather than up-front. Ignoring the content, IMHO 2 huge mistakes were made with the planning behind this film - a) putting it in the summer schedules right next to The Dark Knight, and b ) allowing Chris Carter to direct it. Let him be a producer with some element of creative control, sure - but if I were Fox I would definitely have held out for a more experienced director.

Edited by MikeDonovan

huge mistakes were made with the planning behind this film allowing Chris Carter to direct it. Let him be a producer with some element of creative control, sure - but if I were Fox I would definitely have held out for a more experienced director.

I dont think we could have really expected anyone but him or Rob Bowman to direct it. Recent TV shows when made to movies always seem to be directed by people who have already done the TV episodes cos they want the same feel as the series. Older TV shows like Mission: Impossible get new and A-list directors cos the studios are trying to update the material. Also not enough time has passed for another new experienced A-list director to want to take it over cos someone else's stamp is still fresh on it and not forgotten.

Edited by nicky

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The question you want to ask is

Why do people request the guest that is appearing elsewhere on the same day they're announced for another organiser's event ?

It happens in reverse as well , on the other organisers forums.. when SM announce a guest , that guest is requested on the other forum !

• 3 months later...