Dollhouse - Joss' New TV Show! - US PACE

Evil_Faith

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to think about how long it will last until Dollhouse is released in Germany :dance: I'm really looking forward to this show. I love Eliza in Tru Calling and Buffy.

I'm quite sure Nathan Fillion will not be in this show. I read, he has a new show, starting almost at the same time like Dollhouse, called Castle.

Edited by sheepyie

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

Daniel, at least check the topic before asking questions - there's been a discussion about that on this page! And no, one day later, there's no change.

Regarding the show itself, I thought it was a decent start. Good setup, but nothing that completely explained everything. Just about enough to let you understand, but lots more to keep you tuning in as you question what is going on.

The casting seems spot on - a good comedic character, a likeable and determined cop character, a few shady guys and girls related to the Dollhouse, and Eliza's character/s were all different enough to be believable when played by the same person.

It's certainly the kind of show that needs to develop over time to become as good as it can be though, and because of that it needs a chance to stabilise and survive by the network.

Edited by DavidB

I watched it this morning, and I am going to keep on watching it, for one reason, Eliza!

I felt that the first episode was kinda sloppy to be honest (perhaps a result from all of the re-shoots)... I had hoped for a better scipt from Joss too... Still, I love Eliza, so will follow the show... I felt the same about Sarah Connor, loads of things wrong with that show but I still enjoy it...

Sadly, the thig that will likely kill Dollhouse (and Sarah Connor) is the ratings, it did pretty badly when it premiered on Friday... 4.7 million for the pilot, so if it starts to drop much lower than that, I highly doubt Fox will pick it up for a 2nd season...

• Moderators

I actually think the fact it's on Friday means the ratings aren't quite as important. Fridays in America are always fairly low expectation nights in terms of ratings, hence why SCC is there now and perhaps why they started Dollhouse on that night. It would be better off maintaining that sort of level, rather than getting 10m and then dropping off consistently over the season.

Whether it will or not remains to be seen, but I wasn't disappointed with the rating actually.

The worry is that non-scripted shows were getting 2.5 - 3 million viewers on Fridays, and their production is a fraction of Dollhouses. As such, Fox would actually make more money on those than Dollhouse.

Hopefully the ratings won't drop, but I wouldn't be shocked to see a 3.5m type rating this week.

• Moderators

True, but I don't think expectations were huge, or else they wouldn't have put it on a Friday in the first place.

I guess we'll see. Supposedly it picks up from the 4th episode, so some positive reviews could go a long way.

• 3 weeks later...

So far I think it's pretty good, not great but it has a lot of potential. I already find it more enjoyable than some long running shows which have just become a parody of there former selves. I find the British woman so incredibly annoying though, I think I'm starting to actually loathe her and I'm not too sure why, she just grates on me!

I've really enjoyed it so far.....it's different and I really like the thin line between morality and reality.....Fantastic!

I'm definately going to keep watching, i just hope it's not cancelled.....but right now it's not looking so good....:D It's got so much potential!

I can't wait for the next episode!

I've been watching it online as I live in the UK. I'm really enjoying it so far though, has a lot of potentential and lots of questions to be answered. Eliza plays the part really well and the other characters are great too. I do agree with the British character, she seems annoying, I think it's played that way though, we're not meant to know what she's about yet I don't think.

Now, ive been as dubious and cagey about this show as anyone... but I just watched episode 6 and if they can keep up that level of entertainment to the end, then I will be happy!

A thoroughly enjoyable 49 minutes of tv! :pyth:

• 2 weeks later...

Fox have pulled the last episode of Dollhouse!?!?!?!?!

The show has filmed 13 episodes, however Episode 12 is going to be the last episode Fox will air this season.

The DVD box set is due in July, and that will feature the Joss Whedon directed finale and the original unaired pilot...

I dont get why Fox are doing this... It's only 1 episode, and from reviews/spoilers it was a nice finale in that it wraps up a lot of the Season 1 stories.... I dunno if them pulling it is a good or bad thing...

It may be bad, because, well, pulling episodes is not really ever gonna be a good thing...

UNLESS, the episode is soo good that they are saving it as a one of special later in the year or perhaps used to introduce season 2 (if we are lucky enough to get a 2nd season)....

• Moderators

Okay. So maybe I can help clarify this somewhat. Because we scrapped the original pilot -- and in fact cannibalized some of its parts for other eps -- we really ended up with 12 episodes. But the studio makes DVD and other deals based on the original 13 number. So we created a standalone kind of coda episode. Which is the mythical new episode 13. The network had already paid for 13 episodes, and this included the one they agreed to let us scrap for parts. It does not include the one we made to bring the number back up to 13 for the studio side and its obligations. We always knew it would be for the DVD for sure, but we also think Fox should air it because it’s awesome.

Tim Minear | April 09, 21:47 CET

http://whedonesque.com/comments/19822#304585

(Solitaire- Mia-culpa guys!!! Looks like I jumped the gun in the original story! Fox only ever meant to air 12 episodes, but Joss & Tim had been contracted to produce 13 episodes. The way Fox announced the non-airing of the 13th episode sounded like a cancellation.)

View show description Discuss

.. that explains it basically.

It's annoying........at least it'll be on the dvd though!

Felicia Day is in the episode. Would have been cool to see the episode sooner, see her working with joss again now after Dr horrible! Ah well! roll on july 28th DVD!!!

• 3 weeks later...