THE BILL - did anyone meet them in the end?

nicky

People were questioning why The Bill cast were there and who'd wanna see them. A few said "my mum would"...Now I was there on Saturday and they seemed quiet all the time with no one there expect aformentioned mums taking pics from a distance and not actually paying to meet them.

Anyoen shed any light?

I met the Bill cast on the Saturday and thought every single one of them was great. They were all happy to talk about their experiences on the show and were even happier to have photos with anyone that asked - including a passing Stormtrooper :D

They were some of the nicest people that I met on the weekend. I hope Showmasters are able to get some more actors from the show soon

I met Trudie Goodwin and am not ashamed at all to admit it. :)

She was really sweet and very chatty. It was nice to have a little extra time with a guest than I'm usually used to. I've grown up watching the Bill and it was nice to meet one of it's longest serving cast members. There were a few people waiting around the area when I was there so there was some interest in them. Billy Murrary looked like he was having a lot of fun.

Edited by Princess83

I met Billy Murray and am thoroughly pleased I did. He was good fun and prior to me meeting him was enjoying a livley banter with some of the local youths. I would have met other members of the cast too but was disappointed by the photos that were available as none (other than Billy) seemed to have any decent portratit shots which is what I generally go for. So in the end that was the only reason I didn't meet the rest (and similarly why I didn;t meet Mary Tamm).

I think a few of the guests at these things are testing the water to see how much other types of guests can make for Showmasters

if they received lots of visitors it would open the floodgates to stars from just about every Tv series going

rather than SCi-Fi fantasy guests that we are used to

why don`t they just put a SoapMania type event on

and advertise in the soap mags etc and attract the people who like them sort of programmes

then they would probably get loads of people coming to see them

and we could have more fantasy guests at Collectormania

• Moderators

Because Collectormania isn't a fantasy event, nor is it a case of 'oh we're having Bill guests INSTEAD of fantasy/sci-fi guests' etc.

And SoapMania is very unlikely due to most people not wanting to pay those types of prices for meeting guests when they can get free autographs through other means.

SoapMania is very unlikely due to most people not wanting to pay those types of prices for meeting guests when they can get free autographs through other means.

But it's OK to have a handful of them at C12? Is that cos its OK to have them in small doses?

• Moderators

In essence, yes. Having a few at a busy event is one thing, with people essentially travelling to meet the other guests primarily, but to have a whole event of them would be a disaster imo. I can't see many paying out all that to meet JUST soap guests.

Having a few at a busy event is one thing, with people essentially travelling to meet the other guests primarily,. I can't see many paying out all that to meet JUST soap guests.

You make it sound like they're gap fillers?

Allo Allo I can kinda see the appeal in that cos it's 80s nostalgia with a BBC-comedy-cult-following but I'm not aware The Bill has such following?

Edited by nicky

• Moderators

It's hard to explain. I think you can have them at an event like Collectormania because the general public are there aswell, so guests like that might appeal to both them and the regular attendees that you KNOW are willing to pay for autographs. I doubt they cost much to have there, and it's a better move to have a few all at once than just 1 on their own.

The Bill does have a strong following - especially in places like Australia etc - but it's often hard to know whether people would want to pay for their autographs when they're so good with fanmail etc. This is generally the case with all the soaps and similar programming. But if it's been going on as long as it has been, there must be a fan base.

I don't think they're gap-fillers. They may well have the same agents as some other guests, and they could be there for that reason. It happens sometimes. Plus there's no fixed number of guests for Collectormania, apart from the general 30 rule which is given as a standard number to expect, and we weren't really short-changed on the guest numbers.

It's all speculation really, but if a show like MusicMania was as quiet as it was, I can't see a Soap-related show doing any better.

I don'y know why everyone is getting so worked up. It was a real treat to meet the Bill cast as well as all the Science Fiction actors. I also grew up watching the Bill and would be happy to pay and meet them again. They were not gap fillers in my opinion. It was a treat to meet actors from all the different shows. That is why Collectormania was so great. It had a huge variety of actors.

JimCarver.jpg

SgtAckland.jpg

SgtCryer.jpg

The Bill were a fabulous bunch!

I've grown up with that show so it was really wonderful to meet these people I'd seen on TV for almost my entire life.

It has a cult following so people who don't think they should be there are are IMHO bonkers.

Heroes on the other hand...never heard of it, never seen it.

JimCarver.jpg

SgtAckland.jpg

SgtCryer.jpg

The Bill were a fabulous bunch!

I've grown up with that show so it was really wonderful to meet these people I'd seen on TV for almost my entire life.

It has a cult following so people who don't think they should be there are are IMHO bonkers.

Heroes on the other hand...never heard of it, never seen it.

Well, well now there's a familiar face !!!! Hope you had a great time :D

I missed this CM due to personal circumstances but i would have loved to have met the cast from The Bill :wub:

Fab pics :P

Edited by hells childe 17

Fillers is the wrong word, but events will always have smaller, more .... "humble" guests at a tenner pop. These people are readily available, and help the overall income of a show, hovering up people's "left-over" cash. eg - I have a tenner left, ah screw it I'll say hi to Ian McNeice.

And I still think Soapmania would work - especially in MK. Yes you can get most current soap start for the price of two stamps, but a great many Corrie cast (past and present) I would pay a tenner for if I met them and got an in-person auto. Still more likely than Big Brother Mania, Dancing on Ice Mania, or Music Mania 2 :D ....

I nearly mentioned to Billy and Mark the fuss you lot were creating about how mainstream itv million watchers, known to the general public more than 3rd tie-fighter pilot in Ewoks the Movie are somehow 'cult' compared to stuff on Sci-fi channel US, or HBO.

I did think that if you're going to get folks from shows with a better name recognition factor to Joe Public, you don't shove them up an alleyway (even if you do run the chance of getting a knee trembler off Leslie Ash :headscratch:). If you have the big draws, put them up there like in previous shows. I could quite see that they would have been quiet most of the day, because there was no mention of them being up there. Ok so they had the big 'More guests this way' banners... If I was Joe Public, and had seen a load of folks that meant nothing to me, what inclination would there be to see which other nobodies were up the sides of John Lewis...?

Personally, I went to get Mark's sig, on an Italian Quadrophenia poster I'd bought before last GMEX show for Phil. I'm not a Bill fan, and might, if I'd thought about it, have got Billy's sig, and tried to get him to encourage Louisa Lytton to do one of these, or his sprog Jaime, from Hustle.

Btw, SoapMania? Wasn't that a cheesy early Saturday evening ITV show in recent times?

There will be more guests from the Bill and similar in the future

That sounds more like a threat than anything!

Then again I get the impression it was your firm that arranged for Andrew Tiernan to be there and you got a lot of the Quadrophenia cast for LFACC so from that point of view it was a very good job!