Who met GEORGE ROMERO?

nicky

I told him I was gutted he didn't get the gig for Stephen Kings Cell. He told me he was never even in the running - despite the rumours. He also said that "it's not Steve's decision" - which to be honest I disagree with slightly

It was King's From A Buick 8 that George was attatched to, maybe there was confusion in the projects that led to the rumour...anyway it's now been given to Tobe Hooper who incidentally took Salem's Lot(1978) from George too.

I don't think it is King's decision. He sells the rights to a book to the studio or producers who then hire a writer to adapt it. He hated Kubrick's The Shining (1980) but loved Hooper's Salem's Lot (1978).

I don't think it is King's decision. He sells the rights to a book to the studio or producers who then hire a writer to adapt it. He hated Kubrick's The Shining (1980) but loved Hooper's Salem's Lot (1978).

Well, you say that, and I would agree that it's not King's decision given the way he's packaged the rights. But if I were King, I'd be saying "hang on, you can have the book rights for $1, as long as I can have an element of control over the production". No-ones going to allow him full control, not after Maximum Overdrive. But if I were him I'd want at least veto rights over the director, and final decision on the screenplay.

On this note, I'm starting to get nervous about JJ Abrams doing The Dark Tower....

Edited by MikeDonovan

when i met king george i got knightriders signed. He seemed really impressed i had it as he classes it as one of his 2 most personal movies. the other being martin. was really intresting learning how he had ideas for that movie.

chatted about his involvment with tales from the darkside series.

Also talked about the genius that is ed harris

Ah well, long time lurker...first time poster....so hello :)

My first collectormania was an enjoyable trip, the only person i ended up going to see was Mr Romero as sadly the other guests I wanted to see cancelled but meeting him was well worth the 3 hour plus drive

I got to the event around 9.30 on the Friday, armed with my Ultimate edition Dawn of the Dead DVD and a Dawn of the Dead poster to be signed, the queue was quite small although the staff member I spoke to said it was slow moving as 'George seems quite chatty this morning' ..not something I was about to complain about! lol sadly when I got to the front of the queue my brain and mouth disconnected and all the questions I was gonna ask were forgotten, Im not the kind of person who gets starstruck easily but meeting the man who is the reason you are a fan of horror films and the man who made one of your fave all time films does funny things to you!

I was greeted by a huge smile and a firm handshake already I felt like an old friend I produced my DVD from my bag and jokingly said 'I brought this to be different, as I bet you dont sign many of these!' to which He laughed and said 'it makes a change to have one to sign that Savini hasnt already taken up all the space on' He then signed my DotD poster, I thanked him for making one of my favourite films to which he replied 'your welcome' I shook his hand once more and walked away clutching my signed goodies happy at meeting the great man but at the same time annoyed at myself for not asking all the questions Id wanted to ask...

I cant thank showmasters enough for the oppotunity to meet one of my all time heroes, ....now, any chance of George Lucas next time? :D

Edited by sideshow Bob

I met him on the Sat and my God, he looks so much like my dad it's unreal! Poor guy looked rather confused after I backed away from a kiss on the cheek. We chatted about his past films, the reason behind my loathing of Resident Evil, and why zombies are meant to move slowly.

The photo session with George was great, even if it did feel kinda creepy having my dad's double gripping my waist!

i was sitting aroung in costa on saturday afternoon and who walks in for lunch? its george! i had a ticket to see him later on and didnt really want to disturb his lunch but i couldnt stop staring! hes such a legend..i was sooo starstruck! i'm no stalker but i noticed a few things..he was eating a ham sandwich, reading Shakespeare by bill bryson (very nice!) and smokes marlboro reds! haha

anyway, got to meet him after his break and hes such a lovely man.definitely worth going just for him.got my laserdisc signed and a great photo..will upload soon!

lets hope showmasters bring him back..for anyone who didnt get to meet him, its a must!! and fingers crossed i wont be so nervous next time!!

Poor guy looked rather confused after I backed away from a kiss on the cheek.

Why did you back away? That must have really embarrassed him, was it cos he looked like you Dad but then again doent your pops kiss you?

got my laserdisc signed and a great photo..will upload soon!

Laserdisc?? Why have you kept it? Is there something special about it that the DVD doesnt have?

Laserdisc?? Why have you kept it? Is there something special about it that the DVD doesnt have?

I have never owned a laserdisc player, but own many of my favourite films on the format as collectables. Same with vinyl records etc ....

I have never owned a laserdisc player, but own many of my favourite films on the format as collectables. Same with vinyl records etc ....

I was thinking about this the other day, I get DVDs signed but I realised there's so much more room on a Laserdisc for signatures!

Poor guy looked rather confused after I backed away from a kiss on the cheek.

Why did you back away? That must have really embarrassed him, was it cos he looked like you Dad but then again doent your pops kiss you?

I was thinking about this the other day, I get DVDs signed but I realised there's so much more room on a Laserdisc for signatures!

i've never owned a laserdisc player either, i just have it as a collectable! they're pretty rare now and definitely more room for a signature so i thought that was my best option! i did get a photograph signed too though!

It just felt a bit odd is all and George was very nice about it, even laughed and asked to see a pic of my dad. Unfortunately I didn't have one on me, but never mind.

As for being kissed by the parental unit, well, I haven't let em do that since I was a wee bairn!

there's so much more room on a Laserdisc for signatures!

Laserdisc is an odd option, why not just get a poster? You can at least hang that on the wall unlike a laserdisc and the poster is the primary official marketing tool anyway. I have a few LDs still, all bought years before DVDs were invented.