Who met GEORGE ROMERO?

nicky

I asked about:

* The follow-up to LOTD. He still might make it but chose to do Diary of the Dead instead first cos he wanted to do something cheaper/simpler as LOTD was very expensive and tuff to make.

* I asked what he thought to Resident Evil and he said his films were better and that the producer of RE didnt know the first thing about the game which led to him being fired.

* He hasn't met Paul WS Anderson and I jokingly asked if he'd like to and he said, "sure".

* Resident Evil was a project he was sad to have had to leave as he liked his script very much.

* He feels zombie movies are on their way out.

* I asked why he did cons and other directors didnt. He said he was in the UK to promote Diary of the Dead at London Fright Fest and for the Creepshow DVD and he just loved meeting fans and had the perfect chancd to do CM cos of the aforementioned promotions anyway.

* When it came to signing my LOTD print I told him he couldn't write "stay scared" cos it was already there pre-printed on the poster. He was cluless what to write so I asked him to write the first thing that comes to mind about LOTD. I suggested "expensive".

* He went on about how expensive and cold the shoot was particularly the river crossing scene.

* He was very friendly and suggested we meet at the bar sometime - it was good to know guests enjoy good conversation with fans.

new012.jpgnew.jpg

Edited by nicky

I met George 3 times over the weekend, twice on Friday and once on the Sunday, he recognised me on the Sunday which was pretty cool, he is such a hero and a great person to meet at these events.

I asked him what he thought of the Dawn remake, to which he looked up from signing and said with a big grin on his face “zombies should be slow!â€

He did say he thought Zack Snyder was a great action director and very much enjoyed 300.

I took in my special edition of Day to sign to which he hadn’t seen the cover of before and we also had a brief conversation on another of his films The Crazies which made him laugh out at when I mentioned, he shook his head and said that film was done so cheap budget wise.

Also mentioned Creepshow and told him I was looking forward to the SE DVD, he said it should be good and mentioned the documentary on it saying it’s almost as long as the movie itself and he enjoyed contributing to it.

Excellent guest and always a pleasure to meet.

I mainly went to meet george Romero, what a great guy.

I told him that I'd read the original Day of the dead script last week (If you havent read it, read it now its great)

he said really with a smile,

I said that it was a shame he did not get the funding to make it how it was scripted, which he replyed that he got to put in alittle of it in to land of the dead but it was not the same as if it was done in day.

LEGEND

nicky

stobbs

you guys have a myspace?

I was his guest assistant on the friday and it was great to talk to him for the day he was very cool. He liked to talk about theatre much more than movies though. Oh and he didin't like the dawn of the dead remake because he dosen't like fast zombies!

I look forward to seeing his new movie when it comes out.

James

I first met George at a convention in Birmingham in 2005. I couldn't wait to meet him again, as I'm a huge fan of his films.

I decided to get a photo and my autograph book signed. When I finally got to meet him, he put out his hand for me to shake. Then I showed him the photo I had taken with him in 2005. He recognised me and we chatted about why I wore a tuxedo.

He signed my things and then I noticed that he was sitting next to Leslie Phillips, so I asked him, "Have you met Leslie yet?" He replied, "No, but I will have a chat to him later." Then we got on to British comedy. He told me how popular it was in America in the '60s and '70s. I then had to move on 'cause the queue was getting quite long. He really is one of the nicest people I have ever met at a convention.

ciarangeorgeromeroake5.jpg

This is the photo I had taken with him in 2005.

meandgeorgeromerotreateid6.jpg

This is the photo I had taken with him yesterday.

I met him on Saturday... the guy is a legend...

I asked him if he was going to cast Simon Pegg in any more of his movies and he said the it is hard to pin him down these days because his acting career has really taken off, but Simon has done a voiceover in his new film Diary of the Dead.

He also said he was honored that Simon Pegg appeared in LOTD.

He also spent a while speaking to my daughter... he asked her if she could fly. (She was wearing her Supergirl outfit) ;)

He was a true gent. :poki:

Edited by Richie Rich

i dont even like Horror movies or Zombie movies but i did go to meet George to get a pic signed for a friends birthday present

he shook my hand and i explained what i was there for, he double checked my friends name as it is a nickname and asked if i wanted to have him put happy birthday on there which he did aswell as the tradition "stay scared".

he then posed for a pic with me and shook my hand again

very nice and very chatty guy, great guest

asked if i wanted to have him put happy birthday on there which he did aswell as the tradition "stay scared".

I knew he'd put that but wouldnt allow him as it's already pre-printed on the poster. He was like, "so what can I put?" in a really worried voice. :poki: I told him to put the first couple words that come to mind when he thinks of LOTD, something I'll always ask guests to do now when signing their respective posters.

We met George on sunday by pure luck he came out and had a smoke with us, he is such a lovely guy to meet and a pleasure to talk to.

and he was even nice enough to let us get a photo with him.

this made the show for my wife as she loves his films

thanx shomasters for a fantastic time

We met George on sunday by pure luck he came out and had a smoke with us, he is such a lovely guy to meet and a pleasure to talk to.

That's pretty cool! Did you not get an auto then as a result? What did you talk about and where was you smoking? I'd have thouyght they could do that in their "green room".

That's pretty cool! Did you not get an auto then as a result? What did you talk about and where was you smoking? I'd have thouyght they could do that in their "green room".

you cant smoke inside....

i saw Erick Avari go out for a smoke just before the photo shoot, he didnt smell like fags tho which was nice

I’m completely confused though why you got that picture and not the one for ‘Night of the Living Dead’ though. Please explain?.

I like the LOTD poster and there were other pictures to choose from so it's surly not surprising to pick NOTLD.

Not only is LOTD a much nicer poster but I actually like the film better than the NOTLD too. I'm just a sucker for the glossiness of the production but am also facsinated how Romero captuered the class system and the "they might be zombies but at least they dont nice try eachother over when it comes to class or money".

Well I told him that it was because of Day of the Dead that I became a fan of the horror genre and he didn't know if he should say sorry or not for that.

I asked if he planned a 6th entry into the series and he said it was doubtful because Diary of the Dead goes back to the beginning, taking place on the same night as Night of the Living Dead. Was a little bit let down because I was ready to beg him to cast me as a zombie if he were to do a 6th movie.

Also asked him if his seen the recent remake of Night of the Living Dead 3D, said he didn't and went on to talk about the Dawn of the Dead remake. He said that while he thinks Zack Synder is a good action director, he didn't like the idea of zombies running and has put a joke about running zombies in Dairy of the Dead

Finally mentioned the movie Monkey Shines. I saw it on TV a couple of weeks back and told him it was really good (which it is). George was pretty shocked by that since his rarely brought up in conversation with him. He said he made two movies for the studio that distributed Monkey Shines and at the time the studio was in financial difficulties and thus the movie didn't get enough promotion and advertisement.

Anyway, here's me with the legend himself:

edandgeorgeromeroqr9.jpg

And the goodies that got autographed:

signedromeroitemsqr6.jpg

I was his guest assistant on the friday and it was great to talk to him for the day he was very cool. He liked to talk about theatre much more than movies though. Oh and he didin't like the dawn of the dead remake because he dosen't like fast zombies!

I look forward to seeing his new movie when it comes out.

James

I totally agree with him, I didn't like the dawn of the dead remake because the zombies moved too quickly, they're supposed to be slow and clumsy, that's what makes them kind of eerie!

George was one of the main reasons I came down for C12, while I met him at another event in 2005 the autograph was damaged, it looked ok from a distance but I wanted a new one.

While I was speaking to him I remembered I had a few business cards with me and like a total tool handed him, I then told him I made films and asked him to take a look at my site.

I kinda regret it now but he was very polite and even held it up for the camera... unfortunatly my friend missed it, but it's in his hand on the final photo!

Later my friend decided she couldn't miss the chance of meeting him herself so went up to take her photo and asked him about a sequel to LOTD (like most people I guess).

georgepb4.jpg

I told him I was gutted he didn't get the gig for Stephen Kings Cell. He told me he was never even in the running - despite the rumours. I said that I could really have done without Eli Roth getting the centre seat on that one - don't have a lot of time for Roth as a filmmaker - he was very gracious, but I got the impression that he agreed. He also said that "it's not Steve's decision" - which to be honest I disagree with slightly - if Stephen King want's something he gets it - but fair enough. I still would much rather have seen a Cell directed by George Romero than some pile of exploitative rubbish full of the cast of 90210 - but that's just me :)