Biggest Disappointment

Superman

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think people should expect an actor/actress to touch you or for you to be able to touch them.

Personally I have always let them take the lead on anything like that. I would however expect them to, at the very least, attempt to appear like you are having a photo shoot 'with' them.

I had a photo shoot with Robert Picardo on Sunday. I don't remember him touching me but he stood relatively close to me and slightly facing towards me, which made it appear we were actually having the photo shoot together. Rather than simply being stood in roughly the same area at the same time.

The majority of the Helen Slater photos had no sign of any level of interaction or interest. I personally would have been very disappointed if I had purchased a photo shoot with Helen Slater.

As I said before I would recommend a photo shoot after C12's experience and the way show masters ran them this time. I just think the Helen Slater photo's came out very disappointing, through no fault of show masters.

I have to say something... I rarely post, but only attended for seeing Helen.

At the queue she was lovely, chatted, smiled, personalised, she even laughed at me when I said I had waited over 20 years to meet me!

In the queue, we were all told that someone had made her feel uncomfortable and cancelled the shoot. She was then pursuaded to carry on withuot anyone touching / hugging etc.

I felt genuinely bad for her if this is her first time and she didnt know how to react. Everyone around me was extremely polite after the alert. She was pleasant, friendly and full of smile.

I hope this hasn't put her off coming back.

In the queue, we were all told that someone had made her feel uncomfortable and cancelled the shoot. She was then pursuaded to carry on withuot anyone touching / hugging etc.

I'm glad you did post - at least it shows it wasn't her being a diva, more that she felt really uncomfortable after having been obviously innappropriately approached by someone in the first lot of people through the shoot. Good on her for continuing - probably explains the slightly distant look too if she was expecting someone to grope her.

Maybe the way to go is for SM to say that there will be no contact in photoshoots at all from now on - then people can't complain afterwards.

You're not paying to touch a celebrity, you're paying to have a photograph taken that is professionally lit against a nice backdrop with an excellent standard of SLR camera.

Just cause someone is famous doesn't mean they are different from everyone else in the world. Folks don't like to have their personal space invaded. You don't know what experiences she's had in the past and she appears to be a very shy individual, not like a George Takei or a Robert Englund.

The real problem here, it seems to me, is lack of preparation.

Peace

Edited by TenaciousD

Right all these comments i think are unfair, Helen Slater for me was the biggest guest i went to see as i am a huge Superman fan and love that universe so i must admit i had high expectations and i truly wasnt dissapointed i went up with 2 good friends and i had 2 photos for her to sign a supergirl one and a smallville picture as she is in season 7 and she had never seen a photo of herself as lara in smallville and she was chatting away about that i asked her questions we had 2 photos taken by the table and so did my 2 friends she chatted to all of us and the best bit was what she kindly wrote on my smallville picture she wrote "to steve the first smallville photo ive seen" then added a kiss and signed this made my weekend.

the following day was the photoshoot which again i was looking forward to after the day before, i was in the first 5 or so and i could see Helen talking to the crew before she stood on the cross on the floor, you could tell from the get go she was very nervous and very un sure of where to stand and what to do and i felt like going up to her and saying it will be alright, so because of that i was unsure of where to put hands etc, i must admit i am one of the lucky ones who did get close, she was looking very lovely had a great smile, i wasnt let down she is a very nice lady who was down to earth, and i thinnk she was just overwhelmed by it all i think any celebrity has the right to say if they want to be touched or not, for any reason, you buy a photo to have a photo with her and if any people out there are truly a fan of hers they wouldnt be bad mouthing her decision not to be touched and respect that, after all she is still human and also ive read that her job is to touch people etc give me a break yes she is an actress etc but dont forget she is not an a-list celebrity she is not in the public eye all the time she is not in the papers all the time she hasnt done big blockbusters so she probably is not used to being touched by strangers but by the odd few people that are hired in the same film and in that film she was probably was touched by one or two people throughout that film not 50 different people of all shapes and sizes in the space of an hour.

bottom line is resepct the person who has agreed to this and stop thinking that all that matters is you i for one am very greatful i got the chance to even meet her and if she does read all these comments then i for one would like to say thank you very much for the photos, the comments and the chats, it was a pleasure and dont be put off by others.

I would stand up and applaud you, but my back is fracked..so I will give you a seated applause!!

I'm glad you did post - at least it shows it wasn't her being a diva, more that she felt really uncomfortable after having been obviously innappropriately approached by someone in the first lot of people through the shoot. Good on her for continuing - probably explains the slightly distant look too if she was expecting someone to grope her.

Maybe the way to go is for SM to say that there will be no contact in photoshoots at all from now on - then people can't complain afterwards.

But what if the Elf Lord and Tony turned up Saz?

Wouldn't make any difference, as I've never seen the attraction of being in photos with people who will only make me look shorter, fatter and more deformed than I am, and actually PAY for the privilege :poki: It's far more fun taking pictures of them from a distance - I have a lovely one of David Wenham where it looks as though he's picking his nose ;)

I have to say something... I rarely post, but only attended for seeing Helen.

At the queue she was lovely, chatted, smiled, personalised, she even laughed at me when I said I had waited over 20 years to meet me!

You waited 20 years to meet you?? Bet that was something :poki:

On a more serious note, I was her assistant on Sunday and though that was her 3rd day, she was still over-awed with the whole experience. It was her first con/signing (I think she said something about one she'd done in Holland but that was it) She'd never done something in this format ever, let alone in the UK (the US is alot worse)

She mentioned the photo shoot and what had happended and I fully support what she did. She felt uncomfortable about the closeness and the touching that she was experiencing and said something to the photographer and rightly so. At the signing, she was smiling and chatting and everyone seemed to enjoy meeting her.

I can sort of see what people are saying re: the photo shoot cos you've paid your money but, in all bluntness - just because you've paid your money doesn't give you the right to do what you want with a guest

that just it though nobody "innappropriately approached" her we just walked up & put a hand on her shoulder.

if she would have said please could you remove your hand everybody would have.

Wouldn't make any difference, as I've never seen the attraction of being in photos with people who will only make me look shorter, fatter and more deformed than I am, and actually PAY for the privilege :poki: It's far more fun taking pictures of them from a distance - I have a lovely one of David Wenham where it looks as though he's picking his nose ;)

Stalker Alert!!

that just it though nobody "innappropriately approached" her we just walked up & put a hand on her shoulder.

if she would have said please could you remove your hand everybody would have.

I don't think anyone is saying you or your friend(s) did, but rather the experience earlier that made her feel that way. Some people, whether in the public eye or not, do not feel confident enough to say "Please do not touch me etc etc".

Nothing really new to add save to say that Helen was perfectly sweet when I got her auto yesterday, and perfectly happy to have photos taken at the table.

Photo shoot wise, I've said this in another thread - personally I think it's best to let the guest take the lead and see how comfortable they are putting their arm around you etc. Means even more when they virtually give you a hug voluntarily as opposed to being asked. But that said, I can appreciate how disappointing it must be to get a photo back which looks like you just happened to be in the same place at the same time.

She was very weird when I went to get my autograph, didnt say anything, not very friendly.

Then when I went for the photo session I was about the 4 - 5 person. walked up, put my hand on her shoulder (like the first 4 - 5 others) & she walked off with the photographer then came back & told everyone not to touch her.

looking at everyone else's pics at the collection point, you could probably fit a whole other person in between her & them.

Not very nice & a let down as a person.

luckly i didnt meet her, but looking at the photo session photos she looked misrable and was stood so far away, i think i would have asked for my money back. Its standard practise that the guest puts there arm around u or somthing, and if she didnt want to stand close to the paying people, i think she shouldn't have done a photo shoot.

She probably didnt want you to catch anything, hehe. I wouldnt be so nasty but I hate guests like that.

Cliff

This is NOT directed at anyone, but since when has it been STANDARD PRACTICE for a guest to put an arm round you etc in a photoshoot?

I know it is common place, but STANDARD PRACTICE is not something I would have conceive it to be.

This is NOT directed at anyone, but since when has it been STANDARD PRACTICE for a guest to put an arm round you etc in a photoshoot?

I know it is common place, but STANDARD PRACTICE is not something I would have conceive it to be.

that's what I was thinking as well. I'm glad you said it.

This is not directed at Helen because I don't think there SHOULD be contact, but in general - I have literally NEVER known a guest (except for Milo, which everyone was confused about) not want to touch at all. For most con attendees it's instinct to do so because everyone (almost) does it. With Milo it was, supposedly, a matter of saving time. It wasted more time than it saved because everyone is conditioned to stand in a friendly pose - people aren't conditioned to stand at alert with arms by their sides, and it takes more time to shove their arms back down there.

Yes, it is anyone's right to do what they please, and in Milo's case if it was a matter of not wanting to be touched, it's understandable and perfectly fine - he smiled and at least acknowledged that you were there. There is no excuse for standing halfway across the room looking like you want to run a mile as Helen seems to have done. You're being paid and furthermore, you're an actress. At least pretend like you give a s***.

This is not directed at Helen because I don't think there SHOULD be contact, but in general - I have literally NEVER known a guest (except for Milo, which everyone was confused about) not want to touch at all. For most con attendees it's instinct to do so because everyone (almost) does it. With Milo it was, supposedly, a matter of saving time. It wasted more time than it saved because everyone is conditioned to stand in a friendly pose - people aren't conditioned to stand at alert with arms by their sides, and it takes more time to shove their arms back down there.

Yes, it is anyone's right to do what they please, and in Milo's case if it was a matter of not wanting to be touched, it's understandable and perfectly fine - he smiled and at least acknowledged that you were there. There is no excuse for standing halfway across the room looking like you want to run a mile as Helen seems to have done. You're being paid and furthermore, you're an actress. At least pretend like you give a s***.

Standing that far away is a bit unusual though! Maybe Too Tall needs to add a photoshoot etiquette section to his faq?

I agree with everything said about looking interested, smiling, posing or standing in the same postcode as the attendee, but problems will, and have, arisen when people think that guests will not mind being touched...not matter how innocently. No matter what anyone says, I cannot see a time when I will not disagree with this. However, I would expect a guest who has agreed to do the photo shoot to look smiley or interested. Maybe posing as Morden did with some guests is a lot to ask, Morden and the original Jedi Chefs are complete legends. I have a picture of two Angel cast members mock light sabre battling at a convention I went to. I will sort them out and link them to here.

Only if the guests are going to read the FAQ too!

I did think that, whether organisers should do a guide to events for the new guests. Either that or have the guests operate a buddy system. Pair up all the guest newbies with a more experienced attendee, have them show them the ropes as it where. It's not practical I know, but a passing thought. :poki:

I did think that, whether organisers should do a guide to events for the new guests.

I think that this is a good idea. When they agree to come, have a list of questions etc and get their feedback so situations like with the Helen Slater photo session could be avoided. Some new guests may not have spoken to old hand guests, as I know some do, and found out what the score is with events. This may also show the guest that the organiser, Showmasters, is thinking and caring about their welfare at the event.

This may also show the guest that the organiser, Showmasters, is thinking and caring about their welfare at the event.

I may have mis-interpreted what you mean but that has never been an issue. The lengths the organisers go to ensuring the welfare of the guests is phenomenal given the number they have attending

This may also show the guest that the organiser, Showmasters, is thinking and caring about their welfare at the event.

I may have mis-interpreted what you mean but that has never been an issue. The lengths the organisers go to ensuring the welfare of the guests is phenomenal given the number they have attending

Quoted on it's own it may well stand a good chance of being mis-interpreted. But, said in the context it was posted:

I think that this is a good idea. When they agree to come, have a list of questions etc and get their feedback so situations like with the Helen Slater photo session could be avoided. Some new guests may not have spoken to old hand guests, as I know some do, and found out what the score is with events. This may also show the guest that the organiser, Showmasters, is thinking and caring about their welfare at the event.

I had hoped that it was self explanatory. As someone who has helped organise and stage events in my hometown, I know the difficulties in running an events. Thus, I would find it very hard to openly slate a fellow organiser. When I have critiqued events, no matter who runs them, I have always tried to do it in a polite manner. I would hate for people to think that I was suggesting SM do not care. The post was part of an exchange of posts dealing with the subject of photo shoots and newbie guests being looked after by experiences PAs who could fill them in on the ins and outs of events such as CM12.

Edited by AJ Jones

Quoted on it's own it may well stand a good chance of being mis-interpreted. But, said in the context it was posted:

I had hoped that it was seld explanatory. As someone who has helped organise and stage events in my hometown, I know the difficulties in running an events. Thus, I would find it very hard to openly slate a fellow organiser. When I have critiqued events, no matter who runs them, I have always tried to do it in a polite manner. I would hate for people to think that I was suggesting SM do not care. The post was part of an exchange of posts dealing with the subject of photo shoots and newbie guests being looked after by experiences PAs who could fill them in on the ins and outs of events such as CM12.

Fair enough. Didn't mean to take it out of context though even, with the context it can still be misinterpreted (but then, I started work 6am this morning after being at CM12 all weekend and not going to bed until 2 this morning :D )