Was it just me

Dr Evil

as long as there is someone ready to take the picture then i cannot see the problem with the timing issue. i think the no posed photos thing is a personal choice from the star. if so fair enough, but surely the no posed photos signs should only be put up at the stars request and not the managements?

I refer you to this post of Jason's from SM

http://showmastersonline.com/forums/index....t&p=1123122

"we do not make guests not allow photos at the table it is up to the guest and it will always be down to them"

Firstly,

This Collectormania was BY FAR the most relaxed & calm EVER!! Even ALL the staff were nice lol!! Well done SM!!

Secondly,

I have said a lot about the 'no posed photo's' thing.

However . . .

. . . I have to totally disagree with the following statement:

"we do not make guests not allow photos at the table it is up to the guest and it will always be down to them".

Why do I disagree? I will tell you;

On Saturday I met Erick Avari - very nice guy by the way - got a signed pic etc and then asked for a photo with him.

Now, this is where it gets interesting;

Bear in mind it wasnt busy at all, Erick said YES straight away . . . and as soon as he said YES, the person who was looking after him or 'minding' him leaned over and said that he couldnt do that. Erick looked a bit perplexed at this, but as he had already said YES, he posed with me, which was great.

Before I left with my signed pic and photo with Erick, I thanked him for his kindness & generosity etc, and as I left I glanced at the woman who said Erick couldnt pose for the pic - she looked annoyed. And it wasnt just me who thought she looked annoyed - my girlfriend who was with me at the time was watching this woman and she said exactly the same.

So, tell me please, is it really up to the guests to allow or disallow posed photo's??? . . .

. . . I doubt it.

I think people should start telling the truth on this matter, because this is not an isolated case (in terms of guests this has happened with).

Personally, Im a bit sick of the lies that get flung around at times.

Ad

It did cross my mind that perhaps it was a preemptive measure on Showmasters' part for the more popular guests. Let's say Showmasters did put the signs up and not at the request of the guests, would they admit it? I don't think they would. It's certainly something that would make me think hard about going to future Showmasters events.

Bear in mind it wasnt busy at all, Erick said YES straight away . . . and as soon as he said YES, the person who was looking after him or 'minding' him leaned over and said that he couldnt do that. Erick looked a bit perplexed at this, but as he had already said YES, he posed with me, which was great.

Just for the sake of interest was it a crew member who was saying no or someone representing him like an agent or something?

I guess its not so much the snap snap grin grin pictures that are a problem, its just some people take ages over doing it, then their camera doesn't work, to be fair it can hold the line up if too many people are doing it. Personally I think if it says no posed photos people should respect it and not ask. I really don't go in for this If you don't ask you dont get thing when its clear the guest or whoever has already indicated they dont want it to happen.

Still that aside it was a really good relaxed event, much more enjoyable than recent CMs.

Yeah but my friend was saying (don't know if this is true or not) that sometimes its not the guests that have asked for a no posed photo sign to be put up, sometimes its there agents etc...

Sometimes the guests also have the sign up, so that not everyone asked for a photo, but if someone asks then they will say yes...

Not sure how true the above is but I wouldn't be suprised if it is.

:hathor:

LLAP :thumbup:

ive noticed on a few occasions that even guests with no posed photo signs had offered ppl photo ops!

on a couple of occasions Eric Avari saw ppl were having pics taken while getting things signed and he asked if they wanted a pic and stood up to pose

i tend to take notice of ppl infront of me, if i see them getting pics with cast members then ill ask if i can get a photo too, if they have signs up saying no photos and i dont see them taking pics then i wont ask... simple as that really

yes it was more relax no so busy me thinks

it was good

Think it also helped that some of the big names pulled out of the event, for what ever reason it was, as if Greg Grunburg (excuse spelling) was there then I think it could have a been a little bit busier.

Apart from the queueing for Michael Shanks, Chris Judge and Jewels staite, which was a bit silly, as I wasn't sure at one point what queue people were actually in. I thought this was one of the better collectormanias. Next time maybe they should not put three big guest next to each other, or near the costa coffee and reg desk, as there were a lot of people queueing for them and there didn't seem to be a lot of room for them to queue in properly.

Apart from the queueing thing I had a great time and it was nice that I could walk round the stalls with out quite so many people getting in my way.

:hathor:

LLAP :thumbup:

Post Photos - it's always down to the guest/agent. NEVER Showmasters. That's why there's a sign behind them. It's to encourage you NOT to ask for posed photos so the guest is not pressured into doing something they don't want to do. No one likes to say no but the "no posed photos" is agreed before they even arrive at the venue.

Just for the sake of interest was it a crew member who was saying no or someone representing him like an agent or something?

Im not really sure, the person in question wasnt wearing a Staff t-shirt, but they didnt look like an agent.

And I have to point out that I know for a fact that some of the SM staff do not wear event t-shirts.

Ad

Im not really sure, the person in question wasnt wearing a Staff t-shirt, but they didnt look like an agent.

And I have to point out that I know for a fact that some of the SM staff do not wear event t-shirts.

Ad

And what do agents look like?

You are correct that some staff don't wear crew shirts but it is fairly rare for them to be with a guest at the signing areas. We are basically too busy doing other things to be ther imposing no phot rules. In all probability it was an agent. (I'm even pretty sure I know which one...;-) )

I was the guest assitant with Erick on Sunday and he did not have a no posed photos rule at all. He was more than happy to pose with anyone. I do not know what happened on Saturday but I do know he had been very busy hence on Sunday, we put the lovely Hannah out front on camera duty so as to keep the flow moving and allow photos.

We do try and react to situations if we have an opportunity.

In all probability it was an agent. (I'm even pretty sure I know which one...;-) )

I think most of us know who that was. :headscratch: I believe all her guests were on no posed photos as they had photoshoots. :headscratch:

The no posed photos thing is based on lots of factors. Someone earlier commented that it was all arranged in advance of the show well as far as I am aware that is not the case. For some guests yes but for others it depends on queues and all sorts of things.

Interestingly enough I was with Erik on Friday and he actually asked me what happens with the photos and I explained. He chose to carry on with them! ;)

I also agree with everyone who said this was a more laid back event. From a crew perspective it was too so glad you guys enjoyed it!

I wasn't at CM12, but at a previous CM they had a 'No posed photographs' sign behind Kate Mulgrew. However she volunteered to have photos taken so I took a picture of her. I tend to go by what the guest says, though I won't ask if there is a sign up.

I was there on the Saturday and Sunday, but saw Erick Avari on the Saturday.

Someone said not many of the SM staff actually sit with the guests - well that is a lie, how come I have seen loads of SM staff working alongside the guests at SM events??

Ah, whatever the case maybe, it will always be up to the guests and/or agents, never SM themselves . . .

Ad

A guest will always have a showmasters crew member as their assistant for the day.

The no posed pictures thing is a tricky one. It's 99% the agents who decide it depending on how busy the guest is going to be, whether they have a photo shoot booked, and whether the guest actually wants to pose for pictures.

As a rule, if the sign is up, then you shouldn't ask, just incase it is the guest who doesn't want it and then they're put in an awkward position of having to say no to you. If they offer then sure, go for it, but don't ask. And it's always been ok for people to take pictures in the queue!!

I felt it was much more relaxed too. :thumbup: