Was it just me

Dr Evil

I did the Friday and the Saturday...and found the event to be more relaxed and less stressful than in the past,with that i mean the guests were great,no rushing people through like cattle and only a couple of no posed photography signs...at the last couple of events i have found that the guests wouldn't pose with you if they had a photo shoot scheduled...but on the friday and saturday they were happy to pose with you even though some had photo shoots....even JCB seemed chilled out!

I also attended Friday and Saturday and had no problems getting into queues for any of the major guests, all of whom were relaxed and attentive. I had no problems getting photos of any of them and even had time to chat with a couple of them, even on Saturday. Everyone around the event seemed happy and I can honestly say that I didn't hear a single negative comment on either of the days. It just goes to show that an event like this with some pretty big guests can be fully enjoyable for all concerned. :YAHOO:

I only went Friday which is always more chilled anyway but I'd maybe put it down to there being no really killer guest that everyone wants to meet. Some good ones sure, but none to cause a huge dramatic rush of people trying to see.

Apologies to anyone who thinks there are such guests, just my view but certainly there's no-one of the stature of William Shatner, Carrie Fisher etc.

Maybe stuff has gone on behind the scenes to make it more smooth and a better experience. I thought I heard more people were not doing posed photos on saturday, that's often the case but maybe it's all been handled better.

Either way, it's great to hear so many people reporting good experiences.

I attended on the Friday this time. It was the first time I had done so. I expected it would be quieter on the Friday for obvious reasons. I had to leave at 11:45 on Saturday :YAHOO: for other commitments. It was getting busier when I left though.

Hope everyone had a great time.

Well there did seem to be a confusion over some of the queues when I arrived on Saturday morning but otherwise I agree, it was very relaxed. I really enjoyed myself and there wasn't the stressful atmosphere that there usually is with these cons, or I didn't notice.

I came away from this years LFCC (my 1st ever event) with nothing but negative comments I felt rushed and the whole thing was one big money spin. But this event was a shining example of how great convention could be. I arrived today in a rush to see James Kyson Lee and managed to get close to the front of the queue. we waited for ages as he arrived late. we spoke with one of the crew who was collecting the money for him and she was lovely, gave us loads of info about the guests and what problems they had had getting in ect. The organisation of the booths seemed perfect for the space they were in, no having to walk the guests through the stalls to get them to a quieter private area.

I really enjoyed today the guests were great and I had a good amount of time to talk with George Takei before his lunch (and make a fool of myself by asking him to come to eclipse and then spazing out when he asked me where it was) Erick Avari was also great to meet, I'd love to see him again. it was just so much calmer we got all our meets we wanted before lunch and just spent the afternoon looking at the stalls.

The only personal gripe I have is regarding the photos, most guests were ok with us asking for posed photos as expected but with James Kyson Lee we were being told no photos at all, why. if you are in a queue waiting you are not slowing it down by taking some snaps, If you are having a friend taking your pic whilst you get something signed you are not slowing the queue. So why no photos the 3rd or 4th person in the queue asked JKL for a posed photo anyway and got one so its clearly not him who has said no photos? the people with the guests are keeping the queue moving so why does it matter if we snap some shots whilst we queue or have a friend take some?

I think this is the only thing that could have been a bit clearer as many places on these forums have stated photos whilst queueing is OK unless there is a sign up.

Thanks Showmasters

Looking forward to GMEX now

Edited by Deap

i agree totally i felt at LFCC i was treated like cattle, but here i felt i had time to talk to the guests and it was nice to get 3 photo's with the 3 guests i met, where as at LFCC i met 3 guests and didnt get any photo's with them

i agree totally i felt at LFCC i was treated like cattle, but here i felt i had time to talk to the guests and it was nice to get 3 photo's with the 3 guests i met, where as at LFCC i met 3 guests and didnt get any photo's with them

LFCC was my first convention, and I didn't enjoy myself much there. I got there late on the 2nd day and so didn't get to see any of the Heroes guests at all, so I left disappointed.

This event was the total opposite and I loved every minute of it. I got to see everyone I wanted to see very quickly and left very happy. George Takei was really really nice, and so was Marina Sirtis. Walter Koenig didn't say much but he was a nice fellow too. Chris Judge was very jolly and all smiles, and Michael Shanks was very friendly too.

I thought with Michael that because he was so popular that he would just sign my picture and move on without looking up, but he looked up, shook my hand and smiled, and asked me how my day had been. Go Michael! :YAHOO: Also got a photo of him, and one of the staff took my picture with him while he signed, which was great considering he had a "No Posed Photographs" sign behind him!

My only disappointment was that Jewel Staite was not doing posed photographs, as she was the guest I wanted to see the most. It was strange because I've seen posed photographs of her on here from Friday and Saturday, and she wasn't very busy today at all. Maybe it's just her personal preference, who knows? Or maybe she was just tired, having been there two other days already.

Overall I was very much impressed with this event over LFCC and am looking forward to the Manchester one!

-David

I was annoyed with the no posed photos thing because I'd seen the Jewel photos from Friday and wanted one on Saturday. James had one up so I didn't bother asking only to see someone taking a photo with him posing, anyway. WTF?!

I must admit that annoys me a bit. Some people just ignore the signs and ask anyway. If the guest is polite are they going to say no? Some will, some won't. I suppose if you don't ask you don't get but it's not very fair on everyone else who abides by the sign.

This is one thing I'd like SM to tighten up. It should be one or the other and that should apply to everyone, it shouldn't be "no photos unless you ask nicely".

I guess its not so much the snap snap grin grin pictures that are a problem, its just some people take ages over doing it, then their camera doesn't work, to be fair it can hold the line up if too many people are doing it. Personally I think if it says no posed photos people should respect it and not ask. I really don't go in for this If you don't ask you dont get thing when its clear the guest or whoever has already indicated they dont want it to happen.

Still that aside it was a really good relaxed event, much more enjoyable than recent CMs.

I thought C12 was very relaxed which was really nice as it meant I didn't have to wait too long.

Does anyone know what happened to Jewel after lunch because it said she was coming back at 2, then it changed to 3 and at 3.10 she still wasnt there?

Anyway overall this was a very enjoyable day - thankyou SM

I think Collectormania always has the more relaxed feel its always the most enjoyable.

It is. I've not managed to get to LFCC but have been to a couple of other events and not enjoyed them as much but this will always be my main one. Helps to be able to just wander off and visit the shops if you have to wait to see one of the guests too.

And of course, it's easy for me to get to which helps too.

Jewel was there again at around 2pm for 30 mins or so, then she disappeared again. I wanted to ask her if I could just get a photo of her on her own because I didn't do that when I got my autograph, but was gutted that she wasn't there and didn't want to wait around 30-40 mins to see if she'd say yes :D

I guess its not so much the snap snap grin grin pictures that are a problem, its just some people take ages over doing it, then their camera doesn't work, to be fair it can hold the line up if too many people are doing it.

Which is why I understand some guests who pose on the friday don't on the saturday if it's busy. That's fair enough though they usually let you snap one of them signing which doesn't really hold things up at all and I see nothing wrong with being able to take one while in the queue or just from one side as you leave.

Personally I think if it says no posed photos people should respect it and not ask. I really don't go in for this If you don't ask you dont get thing when its clear the guest or whoever has already indicated they dont want it to happen.

Totally agree, if the sign says no posed photos, I respect that and won't ask. Gets very annoying when you see people doing it though. Hence why I'd like to see it enforced, if not by the guest, then the person who sits with them should do so. Otherwise what's the point of the sign?

Haven't noticed too many changes in the organisation of it since C4 from an attendee perspective and have some issues with some aspects of it all but overall it's a great event easily my favourite.

at the end of the day i suppose its a mixture of several factors regarding the no posed photos signs.

1 it slows the queue down if the camera isnt working

2 it could take more time if you have to hold and pose at the same time

however i agree that the option should still be available for posed photos, as having done conventions myself, i have found it much quicker to let fans take the photos witht hem in the picture.

as long as there is someone ready to take the picture then i cannot see the problem with the timing issue. i think the no posed photos thing is a personal choice from the star. if so fair enough, but surely the no posed photos signs should only be put up at the stars request and not the managements?

just my thoughts

Mike

Jewel was there again at around 2pm for 30 mins or so, then she disappeared again. I wanted to ask her if I could just get a photo of her on her own because I didn't do that when I got my autograph, but was gutted that she wasn't there and didn't want to wait around 30-40 mins to see if she'd say yes :D

Oh right.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I only just missed her then =[

What I liked when I met Jewel on friday was that there was someone at the front of the queue asking if you wanted a photo and taking the camera from you. I made sure mine was all set up ready to go and handed it over while the person in front was meeting her and it all worked great and didn't seem to cause any delays.

It's a difficult one to get right I suppose. There are ways of minimising any hold ups and I see nothing wrong with taking a pic while the guest is signing but their wishes should be respected in all things. If the sign says no posed photos it should apply to all though sometimes I think it's the agent rather than the guest that puts it up.

But for me, if I get a photo it's an added bonus not something I expect as I understand how these things work.

Totally agree with the above.

I arrived late friday and the place was v quite, went and got James kyson lee auto, no one in queue, spoke, had posed picture as well, greay guy. :D

Saturday arrived 9am, queued got tickets all below 100 for all the people I wanted. The stars George Takei, especially was very polite, took the time to talk to me and even a posed photo. The same with Erick Avari, there seemed to be so much time, that everything was relaxed and for once you could have more of an experience with the stars, rather than sign this, goodbye..... Photoshoots were great again George Takei was vfunny which created a great atmosphere. :D

got to say this collectormania for me, was one of the best, top marks all around. well done showmasters. :thumbup:

I guess its not so much the snap snap grin grin pictures that are a problem, its just some people take ages over doing it, then their camera doesn't work, to be fair it can hold the line up if too many people are doing it.

Which is why I understand some guests who pose on the friday don't on the saturday if it's busy. That's fair enough though they usually let you snap one of them signing which doesn't really hold things up at all and I see nothing wrong with being able to take one while in the queue or just from one side as you leave.

Personally I think if it says no posed photos people should respect it and not ask. I really don't go in for this If you don't ask you dont get thing when its clear the guest or whoever has already indicated they dont want it to happen.

Totally agree, if the sign says no posed photos, I respect that and won't ask. Gets very annoying when you see people doing it though. Hence why I'd like to see it enforced, if not by the guest, then the person who sits with them should do so. Otherwise what's the point of the sign?

Haven't noticed too many changes in the organisation of it since C4 from an attendee perspective and have some issues with some aspects of it all but overall it's a great event easily my favourite.

I agree with you there, like you say it doesn't hold anything up. Mind you I know Anthony Daniels doesn't like people taking pictures while he's signing because he believes people can forge his signature then use a random snap of him signing something similar to prove its genuine. I can sort of see that, then again to be fair to him he's usually pretty good about posing for pictures.