CONTRACTS NOT WORTH MUCH?!

rich5wolves

It has been commented previously that guests sign contracts but if other acting work comes up then the actors have a get out clause to do that, instead of honour the contracts they sign previously but id say unless you are willing to put the convention you sign for first then dont sign.

Its ok Showmasters saying they wouldnt get half the guests they do if they were not flexible but announcing Christopher Lee, Richard Dreyfuss and Co just because they signed a contract because they have nothing else in their shcedule is very very annoying to people like me who have previously put committments and monnies to events they dont turn up to.

Ok, their acting is number one, in that case dont sign up to another line of work and mess people around.

The contract should be far more stringent. The whole idea of, if the contract is to strict then they wont sign it, doesnt that mean they will only turn up if nothing else comes up in the mean time.................???

Im annoyed not at the actors who are ill etc... but at either the actors who say , "sorry something else has come up so forget that contract i signed", or at Showmasters for allowing them to have this menatllity in the first place.

The usual do-gooders will im sure come out of the woodworks, but im sure some of you know what im saying and feel the frustration.

If a guest is announced I find myself still wondering if he or she is going to turn up. This is why my Christopher Lee/Richard Dreyfuss Gold Pass ticket will be my last.

Edited by rich5wolves

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok

what im trying to say is people spend time and money planning to meet the guests who really have no tie ins at all to attend the events at present.

Im as annoyed as another board member who has spent a bit on stuff for someone to sign who isnt coming now due to "work committments"

Isnt the convention a work committment?? If its not seen this way then there is a problem.

So what you're saying is that an actor should put a fan convention before the work that made us fans of the said actor?

Be grateful that the actor is willing to attend these types of event and that we're at least getting the chance to actually meet them!

Yes it can be frustrating when an actor that you wanted to meet cancels, but that is the whole nature of the business they are in and I suppose is one of the downsides to our hobby!

Since I've been attending events, I've found that things can be very fluid when it comes to guests attending, so some come and go is required.

Were you by any chance just coming for a guest that has either now cancelled or rumoured to be cancelling ?

Would you grudge them getting more work that you can then get a chance to watch them in?

My first event was C8 and attended solely on the grounds that John Schnieder had been announced, so imagine how gutted I was that he then cancelled ( Would like to see him announced for a future event !! )

Edited by gebes

I can definitely see where you are coming from, but the contracts can sometimes be worth more than they were signed on. By being flexible with the proposed guest in that acting commitments can come up at any moment, especially if filming is brought forward etc. You can also have rescheduling of filming or refilming of key scenes. Now, although it is highly frustrating when a guest cannot attend - I was at an Angel convention some years ago when Amy Acker was due to glam up as Illyria for a photo shoot, but she got called back to the States at the last minute because filming schedules had changed - but it can also mean that future events will see the guest return and secure other guests form the production he or she was on because the filming company want their product exposure increased and are pleased with convention organiser x who was flexible.

But, I can understand your frustratuion as it can seem that sometimes the guest agrees to come and then pulls out, but Hollyweird is a strange place that works to it's own schedule and to hell with the rest.

By the way, just to make it clear, I am no do gooder!

Meanwhile, back in the real world.....

So you think that a guy should tell his/her agent to scrub an acting job that could keep his name in the papers and on the lips of other casting directors over doing a show that might make him a fraction of what he'd get sitting in a shopping centre talking to folks that think mainstream itv actors are more 'cult' than something on Sci-fi Channel?

It's not as if this is exactly last minute notification, and I doubt anyone's got plane tickets booked on the back of these now cancelled appearances..

Meanwhile, back in the real world.....

So you think that a guy should tell his/her agent to scrub an acting job that could keep his name in the papers and on the lips of other casting directors over doing a show that might make him a fraction of what he'd get sitting in a shopping centre talking to folks that think mainstream itv actors are more 'cult' than something on Sci-fi Channel?

I think I agree with what you're saying.

Simple fact is that primarily actors act; ask an actor if in general they would prefer to act or do a signing, and anyone who says they would rather do a signing is lying. Doesn't mean they don't enjoy signing, but acting is what they do, and as well as being their passion, it's also the bedrock of their career, what put them where they are today (or yesterday B) ), and one acting job can lead to another.

Basically you can make your contract airtight and not give the artiste a chance to cancel, but you'll find that many will be reluctant to sign in such a case. And if you sue someone for breach of contract, over non-appearance at something which is basically a sideline to their main career, I can bet the word will be round the industry in hours, and you'll never sign another guest again.

It's very much as if rich5wolves booked some band to play his birthday party, and then they got invited to be the support band at a prestigious or otherwise important gig. I'm sorry, even if the support gig isn't a better paying show than rich5wolves' party, if it's the place where they can get a load of press exposure or be seen by lots of influential people in the media, then the band won't be going to rich5wolves' party, and if they do, then their manager wants shooting for not putting the best interests of his band first. (Of course rich5wolves can then sue the band, and that's no big deal to him, because he was only hiring a band for his party and doesn't mind getting a bad press in the industry , but if he was booking bands for a living, he would find a lot of people reluctant to deal with him.)

Is it an ess aitch one tee situation for people wanting to see certain guests? Yes.

Is there a way found it? Not really...

The contract should be far more stringent. The whole idea of, if the contract is to strict then they wont sign it, doesnt that mean they will only turn up if nothing else comes up in the mean time.................???

Exactly.

Ok, their acting is number one, in that case dont sign up to another line of work and mess people around.

Well, that would definitely give you certainty, although in most cases it would be a certainty that you wouldn't see the guest.

Edited by TommyT

Seriously Rich5Wolves, what would you do in their position? If you say anything other than "I'd ditch the signing event like a hot potato" you're lying. Sorry, but you have to be realistic.

The other thing is, if you get yourself a gold pass thinking "I'm only going to C12 to see that little fellow out of of Heroes, but it's worth it just for that" you're already setting yourself up for a fall....

Rich5Wolves,

Because your way would end ALL conventions.

The guests would refuse to commit till 3 days before the con.

The organisers couldn't commit to getting them as they'd sell no tickets prior to announcements.

Attendees couldn't schedule the time without knowledge of guests.

No-one would come.

I fully understand if a guest lands a new role or has to reshoot scenes for a TV-show/movie he's in he has to cancel a convention (or when he's ill, or something else like that), but what about i.e. cancellations because a guest is appearing at a later on schedulled talkshow, radio interview or something of the like instead? I can understand the frustration of the original poster when it comes to that.

Edited by Zarina

I fully understand if a guest lands a new role or has to reshoot scenes for a TV-show/movie he's in he has to cancel a convention (or when he's ill, or something else like that), but what about i.e. cancellations because a guest is appearing at a later on schedulled talkshow, radio interview or something of the like instead? I can understand the frustration of the original poster when it comes to that.

An actor's contract for a movie/TV show can include doing promotional work for said movie/show.

Radio interviews, talk shows and such are promotion for the show. So that's still a work commitment.

Yeah I understand that. But aren't those dates schedulled (if schedulled later than the convention date) according to the actor's agenda? Or are they obligated to go to whatever comes on their path so to speak at whatever time?

And can a convention not be seen as a promotion either? Usually it's more for the actor than a specified TV-show/movie, but if the person in question is currently starring or about to star in a major show/movie it will also work as promotion for such.

Bear in mind that they are often contracted to do promotion of new films, shows, DVD releases etc. - and those appearances can be very late notice...

Every contract is different, so I really can't comment in general. I only know that this happens very often.

Of course a convention is promotion as well. But as it's been said prior, a very well known talk show in the US will of course be regarded as better promotion for an US TV show than a convention in a shopping centre in the UK. Even more if said convention isn't an "official promotion" as for example the Heroes World Tour was.

The other thing is, if you get yourself a gold pass thinking "I'm only going to C12 to see that little fellow out of of Heroes, but it's worth it just for that" you're already setting yourself up for a fall....

It is a difficult position to be in though if there is one person you really want to see. I mainly go to these shows to meet the Stargate guests as I'm a huge fan of the show. I've not really been intrerested in meeting other guests so far. As most Stargate fans know the lead, RDA doesn't generally do conventions. He has done a few promo events and recently concented to do one con (Where you couldn't get anything signed). If SM announced RDA at an event I would want to buy a gold ticket just for him. I know so many people would turn up to see him that I would be willing to fork it out just to see him! Of course I would be really peed off then if he cancelled but frankly that is the risk you take.

It is dissapionting when a guest cancels, especially if they keep cancelling at other shows you hoped to catch them at as well.

I can see where the original postee is coming from and yes, I agree it can be really dissapointing but there are some upside as far as I see it:

1. As many others have said, the individual has cancelled has no doubt done so becuase they have an actual job and just like us all, no-one can turn down the chance of work. Sadly sacrifices have to be made sometimes. Besides, that person may be going on to be part of a show/movie that is worth watching and become something you really enjoy!

2. I doubt any of us who attend conventions can pop out to the big money tree at the bottom of the garden and pick a few of those very special leaves, so by having a few cancellations, it can save us all some money. No doubt many may well have saved for C12 (well done if you have! I've not got the patience for that!) but just like none of us turning down the opportunity of work, it's always nice to have a bit more cash in your pocket than you thought you would have.

I'm personally really gutted Tobe Hooper and Ashley Laurence have cancelled and now I'm thinking about scrapping getting my Lament Configuration DVD set signed by Higgins, Bamford & Vince (still thinking about this actually!) but I can't avoid the fact I save a few quid. However, if Romero quits I will start to cry...... :unsure:

C12 still has some awesome guests so to everybody, just enjoy the day/weekend for what it is, meet some really cool people and buy some really great stuff. Spend some time in the company of like-minded people and revel in your passion for every cult-y :YAHOO::P

Edited by Koroshiya1

It is a difficult position to be in though if there is one person you really want to see. I mainly go to these shows to meet the Stargate guests as I'm a huge fan of the show. I've not really been intrerested in meeting other guests so far. As most Stargate fans know the lead, RDA doesn't generally do conventions. He has done a few promo events and recently concented to do one con (Where you couldn't get anything signed). If SM announced RDA at an event I would want to buy a gold ticket just for him. I know so many people would turn up to see him that I would be willing to fork it out just to see him! Of course I would be really peed off then if he cancelled but frankly that is the risk you take.

It is dissapionting when a guest cancels, especially if they keep cancelling at other shows you hoped to catch them at as well.

Well if Harrison Ford was announced, I have to admit I'd happily buy 5 gold passes. Not that that is ever going to happen of course!

Rich mate - you need to get over this Richard Dreyfus thing (and wind yer neck in as we say here). This entire thread is self important and inflamatory - take it from someone who knows !!

We are very sorry you didn't meet Dreyfuss, and you were obviously disappointed. How dare the Octagenarian Christopher Lee injur himself just before a planned trip to EC. And don't get me started on the waste of energy that is your Burt Renolds obsession. I will run naked through the venue of your choice when he comes back.

Some actors enjoy meeting fans at the shows to keep them grounded. Some use it as their main / only income, and some do it to pay for their loft conversion and don't care about us.

It would be crass of me to name names in each category, but I am sure you can imagine who I mean. Of course actors won't give up ACTING to shake our sweaty palms for 2 or 3 days, but if they are free, they will happily do it - for whatever reason.

A more "sturdy" contract is unlikely to get signed, so we consequently meet Dave and Kenny 3 or 4 times a years. WTF ??????

Dufresne is right on the money. Do this, and our star guest at every event will be Jeremy Bulloch. And I mean no disrepect to him when I say, that would be a load of Bullochs.

Kinda OT, but relevant in terms of the "load of Bullochs" :wub: quip, is Jeremy's son Robbie still acting?

ETA: Apparently Robbie's retired from acting and now works at the Foreign Office...but who knows? :D

Edited by yeltz-lass