MusicMania 2

MikeDonovan

• Moderators

Again, as with the Dreyfuss cancellation, can we try and steer away from the character assassinations etc? Thank you. People are free to agree and disagree, but there's no need to then analyse each other and whatnot. That's where the arguments come in.

As for this mixing music guests into a Collectormania - I'd say no, purely because Collectormania in its various incarnation has always been about cult tv/film guests. That's not something that can be denied to be fair. Sure, they may have had the odd wrestler (which was cause for argument!) or a glamour model under exceptional circumstances (i.e. not brought by SM), but I fail to see how music guests would work.

And by 'music guests' I mean guests who would be there for their musical career. Not someone like say Toyah who was there as part of the Quadrophenia stuff etc.

Just because it's called Collectormania, do we believe it should cover ALL types of collecting? I mean people collect Hornby train sets but we don't expect to see a Hornby representative at Collectormania do we? No, because it's always been presented as an event that covers film and TV - yes, I know it's not really 'stated' as such, but they can't cover EVERYTHING that is 'collected' can they?

Considering the criticisms levelled at Showmasters in recent times regarding the quality of the tv/film guests we're getting lately, I can't imagine chucking in a few music guests would go down too well. But obviously that's just personal opinion. I'd hate to see it all mixed in together, when they really need to focus on each individual area and make it the best they can.

Edited by DavidB

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved the ice-cream at blockbuster, heres the ides you rent a film, and wanna have somthing nice to watch your film, its there - pizza, ice-cream, popcorn. The food at blockbuster made them such a high profit, that there wouldn't be blockbuster anymore if it wasn't for this.

I think a better arguement is why have they started selling music????

Again, as with the Dreyfuss cancellation, can we try and steer away from the character assassinations etc? Thank you. People are free to agree and disagree, but there's no need to then analyse each other and whatnot. That's where the arguments come in.

I must have had a fair few assasination attempts by now, my body armour is battered!! But following on from your comment just now, I gotta ask Barni just why did he feel compelled to blatantly target me with that unnecessary politician (name-calling/character-assasination) remark out of the blue like that when AFAIK I've never personally had a problem with him before nor blatantly tried to degrade someone else like that unprovoked? If the subsequent snowball effect was hoped for then he must have been happy and proud of it. And I've never banged on about being right either and always accepted people might disagree so dunno why he said that either. I know he has a problem with how I post to other people but why should it bother him so much that he had to post that?

Edited by nicky

there's no need to then analyse each other and whatnot. That's where the arguments come in.

I think you'd better clarify that to Nicky again, Judging by his latest post (above) he obviously hasn't understood the meaning of it. Unless you want me to respond to him of course which I am happy to do.

He should be reminded however that I HAVE been on the receiving end of his smartass comments before without any sort of provokation but I ignored it and if you look you will see that the 'politician' comment in the other thread was clearly made in jest. Enuff said!

Edited by Barni

He should be reminded however that I HAVE been on the receiving end of his smartass comments before without any sort of provokation but I ignored it and if you look you will see that the 'politician' comment in the other thread was clearly made in jest. Enuff said!

So then we're both guilty of having mis-read eachother's post then - they were both in jest. OK!! (just had a look back where we've spoken in the past)

Just because it's called Collectormania, do we believe it should cover ALL types of collecting? I mean people collect Hornby train sets but we don't expect to see a Hornby representative at Collectormania do we? No, because it's always been presented as an event that covers film and TV - yes, I know it's not really 'stated' as such, but they can't cover EVERYTHING that is 'collected' can they?

Thats actually the point I was trying to make earlier. "CollectorMania" is just the name. If we get Sports and Music stars in all the time, where do we draw the line at everyone else? Whats to stop SM getting glamour models, artists, magicians, gameshow hosts, dancers, novelists, Big Brother guests, people from history* and everyone else that can sign a worthy autograph?

*Already Autographica for that.

Edited by nicky

• 3 months later...
Hey don't think I'm attacking you. I'm just responding to your comments in the same way you respond to others.
LOL. Do you think you could sound anymore childish?? :lol::D

Seriosuly though, I wouldnt mind another MusicMania but only if they get better guests though and I thnk it should be kept seperate. Music and TV/films are 2 seperate mediums and I rather SM concentrated on getting better music guests rather than using them as fillers for CM and LFCC.

If we get Sports and Music stars in all the time, where do we draw the line at everyone else? Whats to stop SM getting glamour models, artists, magicians, gameshow hosts, dancers, novelists, Big Brother guests, people from history* and everyone else that can sign a worthy autograph?

Oh God, dont give anyone ideas. That new poll today even has an option for Hot Man/Woman con. :dance::huh::eek:

Edited by collector-man

• 1 month later...

I would very much like to see a second MusicMania. The following people I would like to see at a future MusicMania:

Gladys Knight

Rita Coolidge

A-ha

Bill Conti

Lani Hall

George S. Clinton

and anyone from Roxy Music.

Again, IMHO the reason MusicMania failed was the type of guest. Seriously, who is that fussed about getting an autograph from Dane Bowers? Now imagine these four headliners : -

* Alice Cooper

* Rick Wakeman from "Yes"

* Geoff Tate

* Fish

They sound pretty do-able don't they? Reasonable guests? Not unrealistic?

Now imagine the amount of people who would queue up with copies of : -

* School's Out

* Close To The Edge

* Operation : Mindcrime

* Misplaced Childhood

...on Vinyl for them to sign. Chuck in a few randoms, and a few 'third stormtrooper on the left' equivalents, and you've got yourself an event - an event to advertise in Kerrang, or Metal Hammer - an event that would attract rabid life-long fans. Imagine the opportunities for dealers - all the vinyl they could sell. All the band Collectibles.

I can't get this message out strongly enough - people like Dane Bowers do not have life-long fans, whereas people who were 'into' Iron Maiden in their youth generally still are. There was one credible guest at Music Mania - Blaze Bayley - and if everyone was of his caliber, with the right publicity the event would have been mental.

I seriously hope SM try again with it, and this time shift the focus... although I suspect that experience put them off for life.

Edited by MikeDonovan